Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Re: Top Ten Paranormal Authors

I love Nora Roberts! She's one of my writing heroes!

Just thought I'd throw that in there. {G}
Vic

Learn more about The Taste of Night, The Scent of Shadows,
and the Holidays Are Hell anthology (coming in November).

Readers are always welcome to visit and contact me at: www.vickipettersson.com
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Did everyone always know that J.D. Robb and Nora Roberts were the same person, or was it a legitimate industry secret for those firstfew books?
Derek Tatum
Contributor
KristyJo
0 Kudos

Hi Vicki,
I have only read a couple of trilogies by Nora Roberts, but I loved them both. The Circle trilogy involving the witches and the vampire trilogy (not correct name).
I just wanted to add my two cents worth. Thanks
Just finished reading "A Fistful of Charms" by Kim Harrison. Currently reading "For a Few Demons More" by Kim Harrison.
Contributor
KristyJo
0 Kudos

I did not know that. Good info though.
Just finished reading "A Fistful of Charms" by Kim Harrison. Currently reading "For a Few Demons More" by Kim Harrison.
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Derek,

I think it was an open secret.

LordRuthven wrote:
Did everyone always know that J.D. Robb and Nora Roberts were the same person, or was it a legitimate industry secret for those firstfew books?

Learn more about The Taste of Night, The Scent of Shadows,
and the Holidays Are Hell anthology (coming in November).

Readers are always welcome to visit and contact me at: www.vickipettersson.com
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

VickiPettersson wrote:
Derek,

LordRuthven wrote:

I agree -- I knew from the beginning. I have yet to try any of her paranormal titles or series yet.

Carol
So many books, so little time...
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I have to be Honest... I did really like early hamilton books, but she, IMHO, hit a point where she seems to have put more emphasis on the sexual content then plot, and that is why I have not enjoyed her more recent work.
I do not mind sex in the books I read, I just mind when that is all there is.

Chomp wrote:

VickiPettersson wrote:
Derek,

LordRuthven wrote:

I agree -- I knew from the beginning. I have yet to try any of her paranormal titles or series yet.

Carol

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar:
I remember really looking forward to the next Anita Blake or Merry Gentry novel. But, the last few that I have read have been 90 percent sexual Twister and 10 percent plot. I still enjoy the series but it doesn't enthrall me like it used to... I'm hoping that future installments in both series will get both series back on track. Historically, she is still one of the Queens of the genre...
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
shannon_burke
0 Kudos

I was just wondering if anyone has ever read Poppy Z. Brite? She's definitely one of my favorites.
1. Laurell K. Hamilton
2.Anne Rice
3. Mary Janice Davidson
4. Poppy z. Brite
5.Lynsay Sands
6. Shana Abe
7. Jude Deveraux
8. Nora Roberts
9. John Saul
10.J. K. Rowling
Shannon~
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

shannon_burke wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone has ever read Poppy Z. Brite? She's definitely one of my favorites.

Shannon, what type of book does Poppy write? Paranormal?
www.jeanienefrost.com
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Poppy Z. Brite writes non-genre fiction these days, but her early books were horror. These days, a lot of people like to wrongly use the "goth" tag to describe books where the main characters have tattoos and a snarky (read: unlikeable) attitude. Brite's early stories are the Real Deal when it comes to the goth subculture. Her vampire novel "Lost Souls" is a real love it or hate it novel. It's in the vein of "The Hunger," where the vampires aren't undead but a separate race living and hunting amidst humans. It's been years since I've read "Lost Souls"; it's about time for me to revisit it.

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 12-19-2007 07:13 PM
Derek Tatum
Contributor
aliceayers
0 Kudos

Hey hey!

I thought I'd throw my two cents in for this thread myself, since it's been soo helpful in my quest for new reading material. My favorite authors (for the moment and in no particular author are):

1. C.E. Murphy
I enjoy her descriptions of shamanism and Native American magic in the Walker Papers books, they're quite vivid and well-written. She's a genre-crosser for sure, but that's a great thing in my opinion.

2. Kat Richardson
I first chose her books because of Charlaine Harris' positive recommendation of Richardson's work. For those of you that enjoyed earlier Laurell K. Hamilton (pre-Incubus Dreams), I think you'd really dig Kat Richardson's work. Harper Blaine is a private detective with the ability to be a "Greywalker" after a client nearly beat her to death. There's just something about these books, I think it's the combination of old-school detctive noir, sexual tension and supernatural elements that really hooked me.

3. Richelle Mead
Okay, I just looked at my first two authors and realized that everyone's books takes place in Seattle. Weird. Anyway, you should read Richelle Mead because she made Georgiana Kingcaid - a succubus, a fleshed-out, real character and I would want to be friends with.

4. Kim Harrison
Everyone loves Kim Harrison, if you don't, it's because you haven't read the books. ;-)

5. Lilith Saintcrow
Talk about imaginative! I love Saintcrow's ability to mix familiar settings with fictional settings. They're incredibly fast, fun and interesting reads. Hey, even my boyfriend likes these books.

6. Carrie Vaughn
I love Kitty! I have the hardest time getting into werewolf based books, but the Kitty books are an incredibly engaging read. I can't wait for "Kitty and the Silver Bullet" to come already.

7. Kelley Armstrong
I'm a total sucker for an author who can take present day society, talk about current events(like 9/11) and the supernatural in all one go. Fantastic, fantastic work.

8. Vicki Pettersson
Superheroes! The Zodiac! Comic books! How can you not like that? How?

9. Charlaine Harris

The Sookie Stackhouse books are really special to me since I am a Southern-friend Yankee. She manages to capture all aspects of Southern culture and tell a fantastic story about the supernatural.

10. Spot reserved for Ilona Andrews

So far, Ilona Andrews has written one book, "Magic Bites" which takes place in my home city, Atlanta. Lots of authors have chosen Seattle, Saint Louis, Chicago but I love the idea of cruising down Peachtree Industrial and having my car stall out because of a "magic wave." It's a different sort of setting and book, well worth the read. I'm quite eager to see if the follow-up is just as good.
Contributor
vampchic
0 Kudos

Hey Paul,
I agree with you about the Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series. However, A Lick of Frost did have less sex and more plot than some of the others. I also thought The Harlaquin was not as graphic. I hope this trend continues with her writing.
Ami
Oink!!! Year of the Pig.
Contributor
jen6
0 Kudos

Loved your top Ten, but LKH can drop off the face of the planet as far as i'm concerned. She ruined AB character.
Jen
Yours Jennifer.
Frequent Contributor
shannon_burke
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:
Poppy Z. Brite writes non-genre fiction these days, but her early books were horror. These days, a lot of people like to wrongly use the "goth" tag to describe books where the main characters have tattoos and a snarky (read: unlikeable) attitude. Brite's early stories are the Real Deal when it comes to the goth subculture. Her vampire novel "Lost Souls" is a real love it or hate it novel. It's in the vein of "The Hunger," where the vampires aren't undead but a separate race living and hunting amidst humans. It's been years since I've read "Lost Souls"; it's about time for me to revisit it.

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 12-19-2007 07:13 PM

Everything he said is true. She's a little more "dark" than usual. i've read a couple of books by her and they dig deep. She's one of those authors that'll stick in your head for quite awhile. Thanks to my sister, i now love this author. Some of her stories can get really graphic too.
Shannon~
Frequent Contributor
Chingchewy
0 Kudos

Hello,
I am new to this, can you tell me about Rachel Vincent?
Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

Rachel is a new writer. Last year? her first book, Stray, was published. It features werecats. I (& others) really liked it. It is part of a six? book series. The next installment, Rogue, comes out in April. More info at www.rachelvincent.com.
Krystn

Chingchewy wrote:
Hello,
I am new to this, can you tell me about Rachel Vincent?

I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
Contributor
KristyJo
0 Kudos

I enjoyed "Stray" as well!
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Stray was pretty good, but felt too much like a cat based rewrite of Armstrong's Bitten.

KristyJo wrote:
I enjoyed "Stray" as well!

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Contributor
KristyJo
0 Kudos

I read Bitten awhile ago, but I didn't connect the two books. But thinking about it, I do recall some similar circumstances. I still liked both books.