Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Re: Top Ten Paranormal Authors

Chomp wrote:
I can't find the thread that she was mentioned on before, but I wanted all of you Nancy Collins/Sonja Blue fans to know that she has a new YA title coming out soon: Vamps.

Speaking of the SB series: I found a used copy of all three books combined in an omnibus edition for $9. I was quite pleased, especially since the copy is in really good condition (often of primary importance to the librarian with OCD). :smileyvery-happy:

Carol

WooHoo!   Thanks, Carol!  That is exciting news!  :smileyvery-happy:  I have the omnibus edition from White Wolf publishers; fiery sunset with Sonya on cover.   You might already know this, but there is a followup novel called A Dozen Black Roses.  It has the World of Darkness tm, but is still from WW publishers.  mine is hardcover; the dust jacket is black & purple with Sonja in the middle.   I am surprised that she is writing a YA book;  do you know if it is a SB story or a new one?
Thanks,
Kristine
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

luciadelabyss wrote:

Chomp wrote:
I can't find the thread that she was mentioned on before, but I wanted all of you Nancy Collins/Sonja Blue fans to know that she has a new YA title coming out soon: Vamps.

Speaking of the SB series: I found a used copy of all three books combined in an omnibus edition for $9. I was quite pleased, especially since the copy is in really good condition (often of primary importance to the librarian with OCD). :smileyvery-happy:

Carol

WooHoo!   Thanks, Carol!  That is exciting news!  :smileyvery-happy:  I have the omnibus edition from White Wolf publishers; fiery sunset with Sonya on cover.   You might already know this, but there is a followup novel called A Dozen Black Roses.  It has the World of Darkness tm, but is still from WW publishers.  mine is hardcover; the dust jacket is black & purple with Sonja in the middle.   I am surprised that she is writing a YA book;  do you know if it is a SB story or a new one?
Thanks,
Kristine

Kristine,

Here is the description I have seen:

Vamps by Nancy A. Collins

Bathory Academy is just like every other elite New York prep school - except it only holds classes at night, because all of its students are vampires. Low-born Cally Monture must contend with the old-money snobbery of the haughty Lilith Todd, who doesn’t think Cally is fit to wipe her Manolo Blahniks. When Lilith tries to expose the secret of Cally’s paternity, she gets the shock of her afterlife!

About the Author:
Nancy A. Collins is the author of the cult classic SUNGLASSES AFTER DARK and other novels featuring her well-known character Sonja Blue.

It sounds as though it is a completely different character.

Thanks for the info about the follow-up title, also.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
Toni:
Check this out – we were just talking about this! I just started reading The Year's Best Science Fiction: 25th Annual Collection and in the yearly summation, editor extraordinaire Gardner Dozois says:

"It's worth remembering that a deacde ago many commentators sneered at the idea of online booksellers like Amazon, saying that they either wouldn't last for long or that they'd always remain something that appealed to only a small niche audience, and now everyone takes their existence for granted. (I buy most of my books online now, as do most people I know, and I think that will become true of even larger populations in the future – although I doubt that brick-and-mortar bookstores will ever completely disappear.)"

Paul

Wow...Gardner Dozois is still around...he must be as old as God!  :smileywink:  I have LOTS of his collections from the SFBC.  
 I don't shop online at all, which may change in the near future.  I like the full sensory experience of shopping; browsing, eating lunch, talking to people with like interests.  I have mentioned before that I don't drive and live in a small town.  My long-time friends don't ever ask for gas money ; however,  with the rising price of gas combined with some friends moving I don't get the chance to go out of town as often.   I used to belong to SFBC, Quality Paperback BC, and the History BC,  but the shipping charges got expensive so I quit them all.  Now,  gas prices are up and some shipping charges are less with more purchases.   Also, I do lots of browsing online and have found great sites like ThinkGeek and Ophelia's Art.   Due to the Illinois weather and my outside apartment door, I would need a safety deposit box for deliveries.   I am starting to compare the cost of a box and shipping versus the cost of gas and the time spent arranging rides.
In reference to the conversation regarding book ratings, it sounds like some might like a guide similar to the film ratings.  Film Ratings are a handy tool, but in my experience with theaters lots of people ignore them.  I had a man ask for a refund for the movie Chicago because there was too much singing and he hated the movie.  I pointed out that he had sat thru over half the movie before complaining, and refused his request.  Another woman asked for a refund because Steve Martin and Queen Latifa kissed, which offended her.   I pointed out the PG13 rating of the movie, which does allow kissing.   Nope, she didn't get hers either.   Book ratings might be a handy tool, but I would never rely on them. 
Lots of interestings thoughts here this week!
Kristine
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Thanks for that quick reply, Carol!  I will have to put in a request for it at my local library!
Kristine
Contributor
ambersbubble
0 Kudos

1. Laurell K. Hamilton
  2. Jacqueline Carey ( ok so she's more sci-fi fantasy but it's my list)
  3. Donna Boyd
  4. Kim Harrison
  5. Patricia Briggs
  6. Kelly Armstrong
  7. Keri Arthur
  8. Yasmine Galenorn
  9. Rachel Vincent
  10. Jeanne C. Stein

but i read everything and it's just so hard to narrow down just 10. but there it is, my top ten list

Take each day a page at a time.....
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Amber:
Great list – I've read all of the authors except Donna Boyd. In fact, I don't know if I've ever run across any of her books. Can you tell me a little about her and/or her books? Just curious... Thanks!
Paul

ambersbubble wrote:
  1. Laurell K. Hamilton
  2. Jacqueline Carey ( ok so she's more sci-fi fantasy but it's my list)
  3. Donna Boyd
  4. Kim Harrison
  5. Patricia Briggs
  6. Kelly Armstrong
  7. Keri Arthur
  8. Yasmine Galenorn
  9. Rachel Vincent
  10. Jeanne C. Stein

but i read everything and it's just so hard to narrow down just 10. but there it is, my top ten list

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
LittleChickieLaLa
0 Kudos

These are my top ten (in order). . . .

1. Sherrilyn Kenyon

2. J.R Ward

3. Rachel Vincent

4. P.C Cast

5. Cheyenne McCray

6. Christina Dodd

7. Nora Roberts (I know that sounds strange but she has a series called the Sign of Seven that is AMAZING:smileyvery-happy:)

8. Kerrelyn Sparks

9. Alyson Noel (Her Immortals series is so cute)

10. Laurell K. Hamilton

Frequent Contributor
Sable677
0 Kudos

Here is my list although not in a particular order:

1. Laurel Hamilton

2.  Kim Harrison

3.  Kelley Armstrong

4.  Patricia Briggs

5.  Carrie Vaughn

6.  Rachel Vincent

7.  Christine Feehan

8.  Mary Janice Davidson

9.  J.R. Ward

10.  Sherrilyn Kenyon

New User
Chrissy-A
0 Kudos

Here are my top 10...Paranormal Romance

1. J.R. Ward Black Dagger Brotherhood (*Bow Deeply*)

2. Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunters

3. Lara Adrian Midnight Breed

4. Christine Feehan Dark series

5. Keri Arthur Riley Jenson Guardian Series

6. Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse Series

And yes I love young-adult Paranormal too!

7. Stephenie Meyer Twilight Series

8. Cassandra Clare Mortal Instrument Series

9. Melissa Marr Wicked Lovely Series

10. L.J. Smith Night World/Vampire Diaries Series

Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Paul wrote

Amber:
Great list – I've read all of the authors except Donna Boyd. In fact, I don't know if I've ever run across any of her books. Can you tell me a little about her and/or her books? Just curious... Thanks!

Hi Paul

Donna Boyd wrote maybe 4 or 5 books, 2 of them were about Werewolves and their hidden race among humans.  I remember the books were really good, a cross between a horror/love story.  I am going to look and see if I have those books packed away somewhere but I probably donated them by now.  :smileysad:

Phyllis
New User
starrRS
0 Kudos

I have them all, be glad to give them up. Trying to make space for more books anyway:smileywink:

New User
roxthenight
0 Kudos

You can get them on Amazon. All 3 would total up to about $70.

You can also google to find them in torrent format for download to read using Kindle. You can always load the Kindle app for free on the comp from Amazon.

They are also available on Alibris.com It would cost a bit less that way

Hope this helps!

Contributor
Robineliza
0 Kudos

What did Jacqui Frank write?

~Robin Elizabeth / Zombiegirl
Contributor
Donna_Fasano
0 Kudos

I would like to add Linda Prather to list. She wrote Bet You Can't Find Me, which I really enjoyed. And she also wrote the Jacody Ives Mysteries...there are two of those, I believe. The Gifts and Sacred Secrets. Wonderful author!

Author of
Mountain Laurel, $2.99
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mountain-Laurel/Donna-Clayton/e/2940012070777/?itm=1&USRI=mountain+laurel+clayton
and
The Merry-Go-Round, $2.99
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Merry-Go-Round/Donna-Fasano/e/2940000821954/?itm=1&USRI=the+merry-go-round+fasano
Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

I would like to add several names to the list: Nicole Williams...Eden series Kaitlyn Davis....Midnight Fire series K. A.Tucker....Casual Enchantment series Sarra Cannon....Peachville Gigh Demons
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 525
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines.