Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CelticCoaltion
0 Kudos

Re: Top Ten Paranormal Authors

I pretty much read Jim Butcher, Kim Harrison, Vicki, and Patricia Briggs in this genre. I am going to pick up Stray though.
Sean
Frequent Contributor
lilrabbitfoofoo
0 Kudos

Does anyone remember an author named Trisha Baker? She did three books:

Crimson Kiss

Crimson Shadows

Crimson Night

You can't find them anymore for reasonable prices used, but they were among the best of the early urban fantasy I ever read.

I've wondered what happened to her, I cant seem to find any information out about her.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Vampyre:
My list had some really good male authors:

1. Laurell K. Hamilton
2. Kim Harrison
3. Charlaine Harris
4. Vicki Pettersson (I put Vicki a little lower because she doesn’t have quite the tonnage of books out like the above three)
5. Jim Butcher
6. Mario Acevedo (The Nymphos of Rocky Flats, X-Rated Bloodsuckers, etc.)
7. Simon R. Green’s Nightside saga
8. Charlie Huston’s Joe Pitt novels (Already Dead, etc.)
9. Chris Marie Green
10. Chelsea Quinn Yarbro – the grandmother of them all…

If you like Jim Butcher, seriously, you will LOVE Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt novels. That guy is a genius – and his mainstream noir fiction is some of the best stuff out there. He's a little foul-mouthed and graphically violent but if you're not overly sensitive to that kind of narrative, you will love this guys stuff. And Mario Acevedo is very comparable, only he gravitates towards humor and tongue-in-cheek social commentary. And who can not include Simon Green's Nightside novels on this list?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

lilrabbit:
You're absolutely right – Trisha Baker published three very well received books between 2001 and 2003 (classified as horror) and then nothing. I just did a quick google search and came up with nothing....The trilogy was published by Pinnacle Books, which if memory serves is an imprint of Kensington. Let me see if I can get any info from one of their publicists....
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
subtlyobvious
0 Kudos

Top Ten Paranormal Authors? Can I include fantasy as well? This is in no particular order, because to pick between some of these would be impossible. I'm including YA novels in here, because some are just timeless.

1. Neil Gaiman. His stories are incredibly original, and his writing is fantastically gritty and beautiful.
2. Charlaine Harris. What can I say? Her Southern Vampire series hooked me.
3. Philip Pullman. The world he created with His Dark Materials was like no other. Poignant, original, thought-provoking, and it all flows swifter and quicker than a river.
4. Robin McKinley. Rose Daughter practically read itself. And Sunshine was wonderful.
5. Patricia A. McKillip. Her novels are magical, and read just like a fairy tale told by a wistful elder.
6. Sherwood Smith. Writing Crown Duel at twenty? The intrigue sucked me in, if the beautiful prose hadn't done so already.
7. Libba Bray. Her novels certainly are A Great and Terrible Beauty. Look how cheesy that was. But it fit perfectly, didn't it?
8. Katie McAllister. That wyvern's series is funny and original and yes, at times a little steamy.
9. Vicki Pettersson. Last but certainly not least. Such an original story, with a wonderful narrative that feels real and alive. The real reason I first picked it up though was because the writing was eloquent in a way not many writers seem to have anymore.

That's only nine, but those are my honest favourites. Other authors I enjoy, but don't really think belong on this list. This list is reserved for authors of extreme distinction for me. There are a few other authors, but they don't quite fall into the paranormal or fantasy section.
Frequent Contributor
lilrabbitfoofoo
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
lilrabbit:
You're absolutely right – Trisha Baker published three very well received books between 2001 and 2003 (classified as horror) and then nothing. I just did a quick google search and came up with nothing....The trilogy was published by Pinnacle Books, which if memory serves is an imprint of Kensington. Let me see if I can get any info from one of their publicists....
Paul

I asked my Kensington rep Linda (with Parson Weems) who drew a blank. Seem's nobody even remembers her, which I think SUCKS, they were amazing books. I still have my copies, and when I find them on amazon or alibris for a reasonable price, I snatch them up to give to friends.

I'd love to write her and find out what happened. You know the books are good when USED copies are going in the $25 and up range for 'good' condition.

You'd love them Vic, they would appeal to the historian in you! I had an extra copy of book one floating around, if I can find it, i'll send it to you.
Contributor
subtlyobvious
0 Kudos

I am just finishing Wicked Lovely. I saw it mentioned somewhere five months ago, and put it on my list to buy. I just got it a few weeks ago, but hadn't gotten around to reading it until just now. I'm liking it a lot. It is very compelling, and I kind of want to be the Winter Queen. How sad it must have been for Donia to be the Winter Girl though, always wanting the love of the Summer King. Although I prefer Seth to Keenan. What can I say?
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Aw, gee. Thank you!

subtlyobvious wrote:
The real reason I first picked it up though was because the writing was eloquent in a way not many writers seem to have anymore.

Learn more about The Taste of Night, The Scent of Shadows,
and the Holidays Are Hell anthology (coming in November).

Readers are always welcome to visit and contact me at: www.vickipettersson.com
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Wicked Lovely is wonderful, isn't it? I can't wait to read INK EXCHANGE, Marr's next.

Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

I'm extremely curious now! And, of course, always looking for good new-to-me authors.

lilrabbitfoofoo wrote:
You'd love them Vic, they would appeal to the historian in you! I had an extra copy of book one floating around, if I can find it, i'll send it to you.

Frequent Contributor
Deathlynx
0 Kudos

Vampyre wrote:
Aside from Jim Butcher, are there no male authors in this genre? If there are, do they just suck? Is this just an example of gender loyalty?

I'm holding off on a list because I haven't read 10 authors in this genre yet.

Well, they are much fewer and farther between in all honesty...One of the reasons I've been so nervous about trying to get published, it seems like I'm at a handicap to start with...
Of course one reason is that Penguin's Berkley line is designed for female authorship...(not a complaint, simply an observation)
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Aw, thanks for the shout out, Vicki! *blushes*

Bones loves ya, baby! :smileywink:

Hmm, my 10 favorite authors, in alphabetical order:

Ilona Andrews
Kelley Armstrong
Rachel Caine
Diana Gabaldon
Charlaine Harris
Kim Harrison
Dean Koontz
Melissa Marr
Vicki Pettersson
Tiffany Trent

Of course I have more than 10 favorite authors, but I'll play by the rules :smileyhappy:
www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Vampyre, have you tried Mark DelFranco? He's a new urban fantasy author, and his debut novel is called UNSHAPELY THINGS. It's an excellent, multi-layered UF with superb worldbuilding and a male protagonist. Check it out, maybe you'll like it :smileyhappy:
www.jeanienefrost.com
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

Deathlynx wrote:

Vampyre wrote:
Aside from Jim Butcher, are there no male authors in this genre? If there are, do they just suck? Is this just an example of gender loyalty?

I'm holding off on a list because I haven't read 10 authors in this genre yet.

Well, they are much fewer and farther between in all honesty...One of the reasons I've been so nervous about trying to get published, it seems like I'm at a handicap to start with...
Of course one reason is that Penguin's Berkley line is designed for female authorship...(not a complaint, simply an observation)

Anybody remembers "The Bridges of Madison Country"? It was written by Robert James Waller, AKA, a guy.
That book genre's is romance, traditionally dominated by female authors. It didn't hurt him that he was a guy; in fact, it help him transcend into mainstream. Guys who never touched a romance novel all of a sudden bought his book because he was a guy-writer.
Don't see your gender as a handicap, but as something that makes you unique and special, and gives you a fresh perspective on the subject.
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Sorry Paul, I must have missed your list. I am aware of other male authors in the general genre but haven't read them yet. I wasn't complaining that the whole thing seems like a chick thing either. Good writing and good stories are good no matter who wrote them.

I'm still kind of nOOb in this area. I don't know why but I just never read it before. Odd since I was a big Buffy and Angel fan and I like Supernatural as well. What got me here was the Sci-Fi channels announcement of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. I wanted to read all of the series before the first show aired and I did manage to finish most before it premiered.

Of course like all good series, you get to the last published book and have to wait a year for the next one. While searching for info on his next book I ran into Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire mysteries. Looks like it's making the big time on HBO soon. I'll have to wait for the DVD's :smileyhappy:

This got me to Kim and then Vicki. So you see I can't do a complete list. I do feel like I have a great top 4.

One of the other male authors I've heard of is E.E. Night(I think that's right) I don't think his work is exactlly the same as UF but it has a lot of the same elements in it.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
lilrabbitfoofoo
0 Kudos

Jeaniene_Frost wrote:
Vampyre, have you tried Mark DelFranco? He's a new urban fantasy author, and his debut novel is called UNSHAPELY THINGS. It's an excellent, multi-layered UF with superb worldbuilding and a male protagonist. Check it out, maybe you'll like it :smileyhappy:

Oh man, I forgot about him! GREAT book!
Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

Come on, Vicki! Send me your copy of Succubus on Top. I won't tell anyone. I loved Succubus Blues. Richelle Mead is one I forgot to put on my top 10+ list. I cursed myself as I went to bed that night and saw it on the bedside table. Another example of Mommy Brain.
I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

lilrabbitfoofoo wrote:

Jeaniene_Frost wrote:

Oh man, I forgot about him! GREAT book!

I forgot to comment on this. It does sound really good. suddenly I am getting more titles to read faster than I can keep up.

After I finish Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series, I was going to start Harry Potter.. My books came Saturday..and were stolen from my mail box. I am a pretty angry Vampy right now.

I get a lot of packages in the mail and my carrier was always nice enough to put them on my car port if they didn't fit in the box. I decided to be nice and put up a much bigger mail box.

All the packages fit in it really well but she seems to have a problem closing the door. This lets anyone walking by see whats what and just reach in and take it and they did.

Oh well.. I'll get it straightened out.

Too many books too little time.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Is Andrews new? And Trent is UF YA? Those are the only two I haven't read. We share a lot of the same faves!

Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

It's not a copy, it's a manuscript. And there's slobber on half the pages because I kissed everything I liked. You wouldn't want it, trust me. {G}

adoring_fan wrote:
Come on, Vicki! Send me your copy of Succubus on Top. I won't tell anyone. I loved Succubus Blues. Richelle Mead is one I forgot to put on my top 10+ list. I cursed myself as I went to bed that night and saw it on the bedside table. Another example of Mommy Brain.