Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
RichelleMead
0 Kudos

Re: Top Ten Paranormal Authors

I too am beyond being able to name my favorite authors in this genre! And Paul, your comment about boundary testing is really interesting. I think that's what's so lovely about this genre (and oh, how I love Mario Acevedo...). Ironically, my friend (and fantastic author) Kat Richardson got a review criticizing her for *not* fitting a standard paranormal formula. I absolutely believe everyone is entitled to say what they want in reviews, but I was just kind of surprised because I think what keeps this genre so amazing is that everyone is always breaking the formulas.

And I've already said it, but I'll say it again: hoorah for Cherie Priest!
-----------------------------------------------------
Visit me at www.richellemead.com to find out about Succubus Blues, Vampire Academy, and my other novels!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Richelle:
Well, even though I'm one of those – the dreaded book reviewer! – I agree 100% that some reviews should just be ignored. I've done lots of reviews for PW as well as B&N.com and it's amazing to me when really, really good books get savaged by reviewers who are just plain cruel or prejudiced or currently suffering from a severe case of hemorrhoids.... My whole basis for writing reviews is to tell readers what is worth their time and what isn't. Even if I don't particularly like a book, someone out there might so I try to stay as unbiased as possible. (I've come across some really terrible books and given them bad reviews but I don't really consider that cruel, just being honest and trying to warm off potential readers who will be disappointed...)

I'd tell Kat to take all reviews with a grain of salt – the good ones and the bad ones. Reality is always somewhere in between.

Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 10-01-2007 02:55 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Greetings, all.

On her website, Kim Harrison is sponsoring a discussion thread of a new book, Blood Engines by T.A, Pratt. It sounds great. I wanted to pass to the info to anyone who may be interested.
I also want to get some feedback on the following authors, all of whom appear on my aforementioned tbr shelves:

Simon Green
Sergei Lukyanenko (Nightwatch series)
Kit Whitfield
Nancy Kilpatrick
Suzy McKee Charnas

There are others, as well, but I will not embarrass myself by asking about too many. :smileyhappy:

Carol
So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
synnergy
0 Kudos

Thanks for the head up on Kim Harrison's site. That book does look good.. another one added to my list :smileyhappy:

Sorry I haven't heard of any of those authors, Carol. Wish I was more help

Syn~
New User
delaniamac
0 Kudos

These are not in any kind of order....

Laurell K. Hamilton
Kim Harrison
Lori Handeland
Charlaine Harris
Mary Janice Davidson
Maggie Shayne
Sunny
J.R Ward
Sherrilyn Kenyon
C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp
Frequent Contributor
Sami_M
0 Kudos

I only have a top 5 since I haven't read that many paranormal authors. But thanks to every one else's top 10 I know have a LONG list of authors to look at.

1. Kim Harrison - Love all her work
2. Vicki Pettersson - Love all her work as well
3. Patricia Briggs - Mercedes Thompson series
4. Julie Kenner - Demon-hunting Soccer Mom series
5. Stephenie Meyer - Her Twilight series
New User
hcbm
0 Kudos

Hi, this is my first message so here goes. Because I am retired I read frequently my favorite genre is romance including paranormal. So here is my list and I know that I am probably missing some authors.
Christine Feehan
Maggie Shayne
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Angela Knight
CT Adams & Cathy Clamp
Gena Showalter
Allyson James
Alyssa Day
Christine Warren
Rachel Vincent
Lynsay Sands
Mary Janice Davidson
RK Rowling
Julie Kenner
I am sure there are a few more but I didn't check my bookshelves.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Accually what I liked about Magic Bites is it was not formulatic, at least the world wasn't. Vampires were not suave and good looking, they were mindless dead things, and I thought the whole magic ebbing and flowing was nifty. That I will admit has been done before. I found the rather different world refreshing, and I loved the werebear.

paulgoatallen wrote:
I had a different opinion of Magic Bites. I thought it was a good – and worthy – read but it was way too formulaic for my tastes. There's a definite template alot of these contemporary urban fantasy sagas follow – especially after the success of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. And this was one of those novels that, if you haven't read a ton of comparable releases, you would probably love it – but if you've read Harrison, Hamilton, Briggs, Vaughn, Pettersson, etc., you'll see the formula pretty clearly. Don't get me wrong, there are much-used templates in all the genres and I have nothing against stories that follow certain well-traveled structures but when the author doesn't bring anything new to the table, that's when I lose interest. It was good but it didn't "wow" me like some of the other recent releases we've been talking about.

Next month's feature is the new Cherie Priest novel, Not Flesh Nor Feathers, and Derek can back me up on this, her books are amazing. Love, love, love them – and the PW review said it was her best yet!
Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780765313102&itm=1

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 09-25-2007 11:00 PM

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

RichelleMead wrote:
Kat Richardson got a review criticizing her for *not* fitting a standard paranormal formula.

I'd probably better read her books, then.
Derek Tatum
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'd have to include Nora Roberts on my list, because her paranormal books inspired me to try the other authors. My other favorites are J.R. Ward, Kresley Cole and Carrie Vaughan (Vaughn?). I've read a lot of others but didn't like any of them enough to make up a top ten. J. R. Ward also writes as Jessica Bird, and her hero Spike seems kind of like a non-paranormal version of this type of hero.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Becke:
I've never read any of Nora Roberts' paranormal novels but her futuristic crime fiction saga featuring New York homicide lieutenant Eve Dallas (written under the pseudonym J.D. Robb) is an excellent series, which encompasses more than two dozen novels and is still going strong – that's pretty amazing. Also amazing to me is Roberts' unbelievable amount of work: I honestly don't know of an author that comes close to being so prolific. Below is a link to all of her books – amazing...

And Becke, what Nora Roberts paranormal work would you reccomend? I heard some good things about her Circle trilogy...

Paul

http://www.noraroberts.com/booklists.htm
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
KristyJo
0 Kudos

I am having a hard time listing my top ten, plus I haven't read all of the authors mentioned so far.
1) Laurell K. Hamilton - I love the A.B and M.G. series, of course I don't mind the sex scenes.
2) Kim Harrison - I am reading the Hollows series now and am really enjoying it.
3) Keri Arthur - I like her Riley Jensen series
4) Lynsay Sands - The Argeneau series. They are definitely romance, but with the vampire twist
5) Kelley Armstrong - I've only read Bitten so far, but it was a very good werewolf story.

I haven't had time to read any others yet, but I have a Vicki, Charlaine Harris and a Rachel Vincent's book that I'm working on the time to read. I am now interested in several other authors that others have listed here.
Just finished reading "A Fistful of Charms" by Kim Harrison. Currently reading "For a Few Demons More" by Kim Harrison.
Frequent Contributor
Sami_M
0 Kudos

Sami_M wrote:
I only have a top 5 since I haven't read that many paranormal authors. But thanks to every one else's top 10 I know have a LONG list of authors to look at.

1. Kim Harrison - Love all her work
2. Vicki Pettersson - Love all her work as well
3. Patricia Briggs - Mercedes Thompson series
4. Julie Kenner - Demon-hunting Soccer Mom series
5. Stephenie Meyer - Her Twilight series

Good news, I now have more favorite authors to add to my list.
Laurell Hamilton
Carrie Vaughn
Jeaniene Frost
Rachel Mead
Kat Richardson
Rachel Vincent
And I'm sure there will be more to come soon.
-Sami
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Sami:
Great list – it will be interesting how you rate Laurell K. Hamilton when you read her Anita Blake saga. In my humble opinion, that series is to contemporary paranormal fantasy as Lord of the Rings is to epic fantasy – well, that may be a little much but I see that series' subtle and not-so-subtle influence in, dare I say, much of the new stuff coming out.

Although like a number of others here who have stated that her Anita Blake series has plateaued off a bit in recent installments, I still rate that series as historically one of the most influential. It wasn't until her novels started to be released in hardcover – and topping all kinds of bestseller lists – that the number of new paranormal fantasy sagas just went through the roof. I know some of you will probably read this and completely disagree but, hey, that's why these forums are so great!
Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 11-03-2007 06:39 PM

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 11-03-2007 06:40 PM
New User
readerdiane7
0 Kudos

I happened to go to Laurell Hamilton's book signing today and learned about this Book club. Ms. Hamiliton was very charming in person.She had an interview in our local paper and said, " Why do most people read fiction? To be taken to a different place, to maybe involved in a different kind of romance while they're safely tucked in their favorite chair." I think we can safely say that that happens in her books. I like her main characters and I will continue to read her books.

I agree with the authors you have in your lists. How can you only have top ten favorites though? Especially when there are so many great ones coming out all the time.

I just started Jeaniene Frost's Halfway to the Grave and it is very good.
I will be checking back here for more wonderful recommendations.
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
Sami:
Great list – it will be interesting how you rate Laurell K. Hamilton when you read her Anita Blake saga. In my humble opinion, that series is to contemporary paranormal fantasy as Lord of the Rings is to epic fantasy – well, that may be a little much but I see that series' subtle and not-so-subtle influence in, dare I say, much of the new stuff coming out.

Although like a number of others here who have stated that her Anita Blake series has plateaued off a bit in recent installments, I still rate that series as historically one of the most influential. It wasn't until her novels started to be released in hardcover – and topping all kinds of bestseller lists – that the number of new paranormal fantasy sagas just went through the roof. I know some of you will probably read this and completely disagree but, hey, that's why these forums are so great!
Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 11-03-2007 06:39 PM

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 11-03-2007 06:40 PM

I agree with you, Paul. Though I find that the "sex-tangents" detract a bit from a few of the Anita books, I think most paranormal authors would have to cite Hamilton as a huge factor in the success of the genre. In a presentation/panel, Mary Janice Davidson acknowledged this, and she mentioned Hamilton's "world-building" as truly impressive. I did think The Harlequin was excellent, and I eagerly await the next in the series.

Carol
So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Diane:
Laurell's comment about why people read fiction – especially fantasy – is so true. I call it literary escapism. I think that during particularly hard periods in our history, more people gravitate towards genre fiction just for that reason: escapism. I forget who said it – L. Ron Hubbard, I think – but I agree that there is a definite connection between the popularity of genre-related fiction and stressful world events. I'm not saying that's why more people are reading paranormal fiction now but I for one LOVE to curl up with a good fantasy and forget about all the depressing stuff going on in the world today...
Paul
Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

readerdiane7 wrote:
I happened to go to Laurell Hamilton's book signing today and learned about this Book club. Ms. Hamiliton was very charming in person.She had an interview in our local paper and said, " Why do most people read fiction? To be taken to a different place, to maybe involved in a different kind of romance while they're safely tucked in their favorite chair." I think we can safely say that that happens in her books. I like her main characters and I will continue to read her books.

I agree with the authors you have in your lists. How can you only have top ten favorites though? Especially when there are so many great ones coming out all the time.

I just started Jeaniene Frost's Halfway to the Grave and it is very good.
I will be checking back here for more wonderful recommendations.

Hey, Diane! So great to see you here! I had a great time at the signing, too! I'll be reading Halfway to the Grave as soon as possible; along with HAH. Can't wait to hear your comments!
Hugs, Krystn
I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
becke_davis
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
Becke:
I've never read any of Nora Roberts' paranormal novels but her futuristic crime fiction saga featuring New York homicide lieutenant Eve Dallas (written under the pseudonym J.D. Robb) is an excellent series, which encompasses more than two dozen novels and is still going strong – that's pretty amazing. Also amazing to me is Roberts' unbelievable amount of work: I honestly don't know of an author that comes close to being so prolific. Below is a link to all of her books – amazing...

And Becke, what Nora Roberts paranormal work would you reccomend? I heard some good things about her Circle trilogy...

Paul

http://www.noraroberts.com/booklists.htm

My favorite Nora Roberts series is the Three Sisters Island trilogy, which is about witches. The Key trilogy is also paranormal, but I think the most popular overall is the Circle trilogy, which has vampires, shapeshifters and more. I also like her series about the Donovans, a family of witches, and a relative who is a shapechanging wolf.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Becke:
Thanks for the Nora Roberts tip – the Three Sisters Island trilogy is now officially on my "to-read" list!
Paul