Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Top Ten Paranormal Authors

Sadly all I see in my local B&N is a the same row and a half for an increasing genre. The stock has recently gotten so badly depleted, that I just go online and go to the store almost never. They did have at least the sense to place the romance section the row before so you can just go up one and down another.

I've mentioned this before, but how about a rating scale on the back covers
Romance 3
Gore 1
ect..
With something like that, you could just sheave the genres together and not worry. Readers could just check the back and quickly arrive at their personal preference.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Tig:
You bring up lots of interesting topics here. I used to manage bookstores back in the late 80s and early 90s and I LOVED going to work and even going to local indie bookstores on my days off. I love the whole "vibe" – but I do see internet sales increasing and brick and mortar stores increasingly becoming less and less significant. Think about it: add up the cost of gas to drive to a store, the limited selection, the potential hassle of dealing with crowds, etc. And then think about going online and having a huge selection to choose from, no gas costs and no crowds. I know literally hundreds of people who now do all of their book buying online – and a few who have started buying those downloadable books. (I'm not there yet.) I think a few decades from now, bookstores will be a rarity – especially considering how many other businesses sell books – grocery stores, discount stores, gas stations, etc.

And your idea of a rating scale is interesting but it makes me real uptight. I don't want some nameless corporation or agency judging the romance or violence level of a novel. It's too much like Big Brother. And, honestly, the surprise is half the fun! Be it an eye-popping sex scene or a stomach churning violent episode, I'd rather be totally surprised than know ahead of time. I do agree that the genre blending of novels is going to create a mess down the road for bookstores but that's where forums like this are invaluable. I've learned about just as many great releases on this forum as I have through the hundreds of publisher catalogues and press releases and emails I get. It's evident from my time moderating this group that you guys – myself included – LOVE this ever-evolving subgenre and who better to suggest exceptional titles than the dedicated fans who collectively read hundreds of releases a month?

Paul

TiggerBear wrote:
Sadly all I see in my local B&N is a the same row and a half for an increasing genre. The stock has recently gotten so badly depleted, that I just go online and go to the store almost never. They did have at least the sense to place the romance section the row before so you can just go up one and down another.

I've mentioned this before, but how about a rating scale on the back covers
Romance 3
Gore 1
ect..
With something like that, you could just sheave the genres together and not worry. Readers could just check the back and quickly arrive at their personal preference.

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 04-25-2008 09:55 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen

oh let the author pick their own ratings. And if you want surprise don't look at the rating at all.
(chuckle) What is it with BB and and your generation?
Paint comes rated, hot sauce, dryer sheets, movies, music, tv, cars, ect...
More information is a good thing!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

TiggerBear,

I think that the ratings are not always a good thing but I think the ratings come from how many people recommend the book or product from their own personal use is a much better way of doing it.  I guess that I'm a big believer in supply and demand for regulating things.  I also feel like it keeps our economy.  When others step in and try to fix it then it just seems to get worse in the long run.  Lets just let word of mouth continue to be the rating system.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nelsmom

I am not suggesting a quality rating.
I am suggesting a content rating.

even a simple list like :contains vamps, were, gore, and graphic sex

Yes this site is great for recommendations. But not everyone comes here, nor do I always check here before I go shopping.
One reason I suggested this is that with the genre bending and ever dwindling shelf space. In your average bookstore its hard to even know which section to look in nowadays. I'm not the only person who has a limited time within a store. I should not have to look at every single section because they couldn't figure out how to classify Frank Beddor. My local B&N had him in the children's section. And don't suggest asking for help, there is a 30min line for that.

Some type of classification system would be beneficial to any one shopping for a new author or series.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I guess your right but then again it comes down to are they going to be honest.  And everyone can make those kind of things come out the way they want them to .

Paul around here in Utah very few grocery stores and drugstores or gas stations sell books because they say it doesn't make them much profit.  So I don't think the bookstores are going to totally disappear.  Also I don't here many people doing much buying online unless they are totally homebound.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Toni:
Here in NY, books are sold everywhere. For example, a local grocery store chain – Wegmans – has been slowly expanding their book sections and now they basically have a bookstore within a supermarket. It's such a weird thing because on one hand, I am happy to see books made more easily available to the masses but on the other hand I think that the collective drain that all of these "nonbook" sellers puts on B&N, Borders, and especially indie bookstores is slowly killing them... I do agree with you that brick and mortar bookstores won't totally disappear but I completely disagree with you on the subject of online book buying. It's definitely increasing and not just with homebound people! Like I said earlier, I know a ton of people who only buy their books online. It's really going to be interesting to see where this goes in the next decade or so. And – mark my words – the price of gas does have a huge effect on consumerism. If the price of gas goes over $5 a gallon, you can't tell me that more people aren't going to decide to log on to BN.com to buy the latest LKH, for example. With the club cards, online discounts, etc. it's a no-brainer to me. I think the increasing price of gas is going to have a dramatic impact on all kinds of purchases, not just books...
Paul

Nelsmom wrote:
I guess your right but then again it comes down to are they going to be honest.  And everyone can make those kind of things come out the way they want them to .

Paul around here in Utah very few grocery stores and drugstores or gas stations sell books because they say it doesn't make them much profit.  So I don't think the bookstores are going to totally disappear.  Also I don't here many people doing much buying online unless they are totally homebound.

Toni

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

You are right that as gas prices get higher more people will go online to shop and I'm sure that each part of the country is different.  I was just stating what the local trend is.  But then again a lot of younger people that I talk to hate to admit if they shop online or not.  And in the past most of my contact were with those that were homebound.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
New User
Marcy_Jo
0 Kudos

Holy crow. Try to narrow my fave paranormal authors down to 10? *pulls hair*  I can list my top seven, of actual favorite favorites... :smileytongue: Here goes.

1. Jeaniene Frost
2. Kim Harrison
3. Rachel Vincent
4. Richelle Mead
5. JR Ward
6. Laurell K Hamilton
7. Charlaine Harris (although I prefer Harper to Sookie)

and I think my TBR list is growing daily. :smileyvery-happy:

www.frostfans.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Toni:
Here in NY, books are sold everywhere. For example, a local grocery store chain – Wegmans – has been slowly expanding their book sections and now they basically have a bookstore within a supermarket. It's such a weird thing because on one hand, I am happy to see books made more easily available to the masses but on the other hand I think that the collective drain that all of these "nonbook" sellers puts on B&N, Borders, and especially indie bookstores is slowly killing them... I do agree with you that brick and mortar bookstores won't totally disappear but I completely disagree with you on the subject of online book buying. It's definitely increasing and not just with homebound people! Like I said earlier, I know a ton of people who only buy their books online. It's really going to be interesting to see where this goes in the next decade or so. And – mark my words – the price of gas does have a huge effect on consumerism. If the price of gas goes over $5 a gallon, you can't tell me that more people aren't going to decide to log on to BN.com to buy the latest LKH, for example. With the club cards, online discounts, etc. it's a no-brainer to me. I think the increasing price of gas is going to have a dramatic impact on all kinds of purchases, not just books...
Paul
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, not homebound but if I can get it delivered. Meat, ice cream, books, mags, car parts, computer parts, movies, the list goes on.
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

I can't find the thread that she was mentioned on before, but I wanted all of you Nancy Collins/Sonja Blue fans to know that she has a new YA title coming out soon: Vamps.

Speaking of the SB series: I found a used copy of all three books combined in an omnibus edition for $9. I was quite pleased, especially since the copy is in really good condition (often of primary importance to the librarian with OCD). :smileyvery-happy:

Carol
So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Marcy Jo:
Great list! I'm a huge Frost fans so it's cool to see her at #1. Her second novel, One Foot in the Grave, is coming out – now! We're going to be discussing the novel on a separate thread in May, fyi...
Paul

Marcy_Jo wrote:
Holy crow. Try to narrow my fave paranormal authors down to 10? *pulls hair*  I can list my top seven, of actual favorite favorites... :smileytongue: Here goes.

1. Jeaniene Frost
2. Kim Harrison
3. Rachel Vincent
4. Richelle Mead
5. JR Ward
6. Laurell K Hamilton
7. Charlaine Harris (although I prefer Harper to Sookie)

and I think my TBR list is growing daily. :smileyvery-happy:

New User
werekitty
0 Kudos

I've just discovered the Paranormal/UF genre so I have A TON of catching up to do! So far I've read Richelle Mead's Succubus series and Jeaniene frost's Halfway to the grave. Loved them all. I can't wait to get my copy of One Foot in the Grave tomorrow!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

werekitty:
We had the pleasure of talking with Jeaniene last December and not only is she an amazing writer, she is one of the coolest and down-to-earth people you'll ever meet.
Paul
New User
Marcy_Jo
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
Marcy Jo:
Great list! I'm a huge Frost fans so it's cool to see her at #1. Her second novel, One Foot in the Grave, is coming out – now! We're going to be discussing the novel on a separate thread in May, fyi...
Paul

I devoured OFITG today, and it absolutely cemented her place at the top of my list. :smileyhappy: I look forward to discussing it with everyone!

www.frostfans.com
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Toni:
Check this out – we were just talking about this! I just started reading The Year's Best Science Fiction: 25th Annual Collection and in the yearly summation, editor extraordinaire Gardner Dozois says:

"It's worth remembering that a deacde ago many commentators sneered at the idea of online booksellers like Amazon, saying that they either wouldn't last for long or that they'd always remain something that appealed to only a small niche audience, and now everyone takes their existence for granted. (I buy most of my books online now, as do most people I know, and I think that will become true of even larger populations in the future – although I doubt that brick-and-mortar bookstores will ever completely disappear.)"

Paul
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

I use Barnes and Noble online when I know that I can't get the book I want in my local Barnes and Noble.  I use to use Amazon once in a while until they reaped me off by sending me the wrong items or defective items and then would not accept them back and refund our money.  So now I don't shop with them at all but I don't stop others from using them.  I think that you are right about a lot of people shopping online I guess I just like being out among people.  I use online when I need to but go out shopping but stay close to home and do all my errands at one time.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

I buy most if not all of my books on line, I do go to Barnes and Noble and Borders and browse the bookstore for books, if I am buying a paperback, I will purchase it in the store.  Often times, I can't find the book I am looking for in the store and so I just order them online.  Barnes and Noble offers 3 days shipping.
Phyllis
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Yeah, I LOVE BARNES & NOBLE!!!! (And it's not because they've been employing me for the last decade...) Before my wife and I had our baby, I used to love to hang out at the local B&N when I could. I just love bookstores and the people who frequent them...
Paul
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Going to Barnes and Noble is like going to Disneyland for me, just being around so many new books and browsing for hours, I love it.  The people in bookstores are interesting.  I like to grab a pile of books and a chair, or just browse the aisles for hours.  Sometimes, I discover new treasures, this past weekend, I brought The Lady Elizabeth, of course it isn't paranormal fiction, rather it is historical fiction. 
Phyllis