Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Re: Top Ten Paranormal Authors

[ Edited ]
Hmm Showgirl DNA!! WE can clone her! Now to get the manuscript!...am I typing out loud? OOOPS gotta go um umm umm feed the cat ,,yeah that's it,,feed the cat her breakfast.. um bye!

Message Edited by Vampyre on 08-22-2007 07:11 AM
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Ilona Andrews is a new author, yes. Her first book, MAGIC BITES, came out in April or March (my bad memory can't say exactly which, and I'm too lazy to check :smileyhappy:. MAGIC BITES is an urban fantasy with a ball-busting heroine and enough plot action to keep me reading while on_a_plane! That just *doesn't* happen. I am usually too busy praying not to crash to read, lol. Can you tell I REALLY liked it?

And yes, Tiffany's a YA UF author. Her first book, IN THE SERPENTS COILS, comes out in less than two weeks! I got a sneak peek at it (I am not above begging :smileywink: and it was so creepy and cool. Kind of like a darker Wicked Lovely set in the post-Civil War era.
www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Vampy,
LOL!

Learn more about The Taste of Night, The Scent of Shadows,
and the Holidays Are Hell anthology (coming in November).

Readers are always welcome to visit and contact me at: www.vickipettersson.com
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

I'll have to check out MAGIC BITES ...

And Tiffany shares our web-God, does she not? I bet we'll be hearing loads about her when the book comes out. It sounds _wonderful_.

Vicki (who's getting more into YA, due to the marvelous Ms. Marr)

Jeaniene_Frost wrote:
Ilona Andrews is a new author, yes. Her first book, MAGIC BITES, came out in April or March (my bad memory can't say exactly which, and I'm too lazy to check :smileyhappy:. MAGIC BITES is an urban fantasy with a ball-busting heroine and enough plot action to keep me reading while on_a_plane! That just *doesn't* happen. I am usually too busy praying not to crash to read, lol. Can you tell I REALLY liked it?

And yes, Tiffany's a YA UF author. Her first book, IN THE SERPENTS COILS, comes out in less than two weeks! I got a sneak peek at it (I am not above begging :smileywink: and it was so creepy and cool. Kind of like a darker Wicked Lovely set in the post-Civil War era.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Vampyre:
Yeah, E.E. Knight kicks major butt – but his Vampire Earth saga is more a blend of apocalyptic fiction, miltary sf and Lovecraftian horror. My review for his latest is below. But you're right, this is one of the best – and most under-appreciated – sf series out there right now.
Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780451461612&itm=2

From Our Editors
The Barnes & Noble Review
E. E. Knight has officially hit the Big Time. Valentine's Exile, the fifth volume of his post-apocalyptic Vampire Earth saga, is not only his first novel to be released in hardcover, it's easily his best work to date!

Just when freedom fighter David Valentine -- a living legend in humanity's ongoing war against the vampiric alien invaders known as the Kur -- thinks he has a little (well-deserved!) downtime, he's set up by a bitter superior on charges of murder and is forced to become a fugitive. On the run, Valentine vows to find a friend's wife, who was captured by the Kur months earlier. His search leads him to Ohio, where he comes across a heavily guarded compound -- and what he uncovers inside will turn his world upside down…

Unlike most lengthy science fiction series, Knight's Vampire Earth saga just keep getting better and better. After five incredibly creative and wildly addictive novels, Knight not only has a firm grasp on his super-complex future Earth -- the extensive history of the alien invaders, their mysterious hierarchical society, the layout of the world in the latter 21st century, and the few remaining human freeholds, etc. -- his narrative confidence and panache are second to none. And heading into the sixth novel, when many sagas are gasping for breath and desperately rehashing old plotlines, Knight has barely skimmed the surface of this truly epic tale, which mixes Lovecraftian horror and military science fiction with post-apocalyptic fiction à la Stephen King's The Stand -- and the jaw-dropping bombshell that Knight sets off on the last pages of Valentine's Exile will not only shock readers to their core but have them salivating for the next installment. There's no other way to say it: Knight's Vampire Earth saga kicks serious butt. Paul Goat Allen
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
Scraggles
0 Kudos

Hey, I forgot one!

Kat Richardson's Greywalker is a really good story. Her name made my list of 'those to watch for', pretty much instantly. I haven't yet read the second in the series, Poltergeist, but it's next on my stack of books.

(Trying to read Dead Witch Walking, but it's rubbing me the wrong way. As the saying goes, if everyone liked the same thing, the world would tip over.)
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I was Thinking he wasn't exactly UF, but his books do sound lie something I'd like. Thanks for the review. I will be reading him someday, I don't know when.
V^^^^V
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Scraggles:
I liked Greywalker too (the link is below) – it was very unique, which is saying something in this genre these days!
Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780451461070&itm=1

The Barnes & Noble Review
Kat Richardson's debut novel -- equal parts urban fantasy and supernatural whodunit -- introduces Harper Blaine, a Seattle-based private investigator whose life is turned upside down when an assault leaves her clinically dead for almost two minutes. When she is brought back to life, she realizes that she can see otherworldly entities not visible to the normal world. Still coming to grips with her newfound abilities but forced to return to her job, Blaine accepts two very different cases: one involving the disappearance of a college student, the other revolving around the retrieval of a missing heirloom. Both undertakings, however, have strong supernatural underpinnings; the missing student turns out to be a newly created vampire who was forcibly brought over by a psychopathic bloodsucker, and the wayward artifact is actually a paranormal time bomb. Blaine is forced to utilize her singular ability to travel through the Grey (the realm between the physical and spiritual worlds) to bring both cases to non-apocalyptic conclusions. But how can a fledgling Greywalker go up against an insanely powerful sociopathic vampire and his undead minions and hope to survive?

Free of the base gimmickry and thematic clichés that plague many genre-hybrid novels, Richardson's narrative unfolds in a voice that is clear, clean, clever, and confident. The release of Greywalker places her firmly in the stratosphere with top-rate genre-blending storytellers like Jim Butcher, Laurell K. Hamilton, and Charlaine Harris. Here is a brilliant start to what should be a long-lived and wildly entertaining series. Paul Goat Allen
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

Ahem... No mention of Vicki Pettersson?!?! :smileysurprised:
Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

Ahhh, Vicki! I have 5 year old twins. It'll take more than a little slobber to put me off....
I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Twins? Have they already started playing "idenity switch" and all the other fun games twins seem to do?
V^^^^V
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Bless you!

adoring_fan wrote:
Ahhh, Vicki! I have 5 year old twins. It'll take more than a little slobber to put me off....

Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

No switching identity yet. One's a girl (girly girl) and the others a boy so I hope I'll miss that all together. I do however call them by the wrong name at times. So far, they haven't complained. But my husband and I do enough other embarassing things that we are already expecting to have to pay for therapy instead of college.
I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

OH..well that does make it easier then... :smileyhappy:
V^^^^V
Contributor
Thewhitewave
0 Kudos

Ok Here are my Ten Fave authors who have a paranormal/fantasy theme in descending order

1a. Vicki Pettersson (equal first)
1b. Kim Harrison (equal first)

3. Marion Zimmer Bradley (Ok She's not exactly paranormal I know but hey it's my list.)
4. Katherine Kurtz
5. Janny Wurtz
6. Richelle Mead
7. Illona Andrews
8. Rachel Vincent
9. Diana Wynne-Jones
10. Kelley Armstrong
Witches - You will seldom notice the good ones... :-)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

White Wave:
Okay, that's it – how can Richelle Mead be on so many Top Ten lists and I've never heard of her?!? That's it – she's on my "to read" list – which book of hers do you recommend reading first?
Paul
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Paul,

She's relatively new, like me. Her first book, SUCCUBUS BLUES, came out last March. I've read the follow-up, SUCCUBUS ON TOP and it's _awesome_! I think it's out in January of next year, so definitely consider it as a club pick when it's released. As far as I'm concerned she's got the succubus/incubus market cornered.

Best,
Vicki

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Vicki:
I have officially penciled in Mead for January! I mean – come on – with a title like Succubus on Top, I have to read it!
Paul
Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

Your gonna love SOT, PGA. We'll need another cocktails thread tho. BTW, reading Working for the Devil now when I should be sleeping. Also picked up Mario Acevedo's 1st book too on your recommendation, plus a few others. I'm spending my children's college tuition in bookstores:smileywink:.
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Yay for Mead! And Frost! And Acevedo!

adoring_fan wrote:
Your gonna love SOT, PGA. We'll need another cocktails thread tho. BTW, reading Working for the Devil now when I should be sleeping. Also picked up Mario Acevedo's 1st book too on your recommendation, plus a few others. I'm spending my children's college tuition in bookstores:smileywink:.