Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Re: Top Ten Paranormal Authors

I like avocados.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Mario Acevedo is marvelous – his debut novel The Nymphos of Rocky Flats was one of my favorite novels of 2006. Nothing in life is guaranteed but this guy's novels are pretty close. The link is below.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780060833268&itm=3

From Our Editors
The Barnes & Noble Review
The opening lines of The Nymphos of Rocky Flats -- "I don't like what Operation Iraqi Freedom has done to me. I went to the war a soldier; I came back a vampire" -- perfectly sum up the ambiance of this fast-paced and charmingly irreverent blood-sucking mystery.

A decidedly unique twist on the well-trodden vampire mythos, Mario Acevedo's first novel chronicles the adventures of Felix Gomez, a former Army sergeant turned private detective investigating an outbreak of nymphomania (yes, nymphomania!) at a former U.S. Department of Energy nuclear weapons facility in Colorado. When an old college buddy working as the Rocky Flats assistant manager for environmental restoration contacts Gomez with a lucrative -- and downright intriguing -- case revolving around bizarre occurrences of uncontrollable sexual behavior in female employees and a huge government cover-up, the undead detective quickly accepts. But what he thought would be a relatively clear-cut case turns into a massive conspiracy involving radioactive waste, Area 51, extraterrestrial biological entities, fanatical Transylvanian vampire hunters, Tantric mysticism, and, of course, plenty of oversexed women.

Comparable to Andrew Fox's Bride of the Fat White Vampire and Charlie Huston's Already Dead, Acevedo's debut offering -- which has one of the most memorable titles to come along in years! -- marks the unveiling of an ingeniously witty and surprisingly polished storyteller. Fans of authors like Paul Di Filippo, Cory Doctorow, and Steve Aylett will cherish this highly unusual and impressive read. Two fangs up! Paul Goat Allen
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

This is a tough question. I am going to group mine into two parts.

Kim Harrison
Kelley Armstrong
Laurell K. Hamilton
Vicki Pettersen
Stephenie Meyer
Charlaine Harris
Jasper Fforde ( I believe his wondrous creations qualify)

The lighter touch:
Mary Janice Davidson
Katie MacAlister (the Aisling Gray dragon stories)
Christopher Moore

Many of the others the rest of you mentioned are on my shelves at home, beckoning to me.

Carol
So many books, so little time...
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hrmm, I am begining to think this board my not be for me, as most people here seem to like the "romance-ish" paranormal books and that is most of what is discussed...
Personally, my tastes run to Jim Butcher, Rob Thurman, christopher Golden, and Ilona Andrews (She only has one book out, but I really enjoyed it, called Magic Bites, I highly recommend it)
Ahh, well, to each thier own.

Chomp wrote:
This is a tough question. I am going to group mine into two parts.

Kim Harrison
Kelley Armstrong
Laurell K. Hamilton
Vicki Pettersen
Stephenie Meyer
Charlaine Harris
Jasper Fforde ( I believe his wondrous creations qualify)

The lighter touch:
Mary Janice Davidson
Katie MacAlister (the Aisling Gray dragon stories)
Christopher Moore

Many of the others the rest of you mentioned are on my shelves at home, beckoning to me.

Carol

(Edited cause I can't spell)

Message Edited by ShadowCougar on 09-06-2007 09:21 AM
"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

I would imagine that there is room for all types of paranormal writers/interests within the group. Thurman and Butcher are on my shelf, as well, but not yet read. Personally, I listed folks I had already read, and am thus familiar with. I am also intrigued by Simon Green.
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Acevedo and Jeanne C. Stein (author of the Anna Strong Chronicles) share a blog.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:
Acevedo and Jeanne C. Stein (author of the Anna Strong Chronicles) share a blog.

Chomp,

I have read Jeann Stein's books and really liked them so I bought a copy for my nephew and am looking forward to her third book. Acevedo I have not read. Library doesn't carry it. I usually borrow a new author before I buy Just to see if I am really going to like the author. So as Paul has said if you want to talk about a book start a thread and see who jumps in.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar:
Hey, I've been talking about a ton of non "romantic" paranormal authors. Look up a few posts for my review of Mario Acevedo's The Nymphos of Rocky Flats. And, geez, Charlie Huston is the antithesis is romantic. That guy's Joe Pitt novels are like getting bludgoened with a sockful of ball bearings. And yes Butcher, Thurman, Golden. there's a TON of paranormal stuff that isn't considered "romantic." Have you read Lilith Saintcrow?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Paul, perhaps would could put Many Bloody Returns (anthology)on the list for upcoming discussions. I know there is a Jim Butcher story included. I'm not sure what other authors are included, but I'm sure that you, with your incredible BN connections :smileyhappy: could get us a complete list. Do you think some of those other authors might also appeal to Shadowcougar? Let us know. It is on my list of to be read books. Krystn

Message Edited by adoring_fan on 09-07-2007 09:47 AM
I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I have read her first two, but some part of me (Probably the same part that think Vampires should be killed, not slept with [that is what comes from my first vampire novels being Dracula and Salem's Lot at the age of 10]) ain't big on the whole working with demons thing. I need to pick up the third one at some point soon though. I honestly wasn't that impressed with Acevedo (I got an advanced copy of that one) Can't really say why though, just didn't hook me. I haven't read Huston yet. I know the stuff is out there, I devour it on a regular basis.

My point was while the stuff is out there, it (Admitedly at first glance, I haven't dug through all the posts yet) just seems that people here tend more toward say, Hamilton (who was a good author back when she knew what a plot was) then Thurmon or Golden.

paulgoatallen wrote:
ShadowCougar:
Hey, I've been talking about a ton of non "romantic" paranormal authors. Look up a few posts for my review of Mario Acevedo's The Nymphos of Rocky Flats. And, geez, Charlie Huston is the antithesis is romantic. That guy's Joe Pitt novels are like getting bludgoened with a sockful of ball bearings. And yes Butcher, Thurman, Golden. there's a TON of paranormal stuff that isn't considered "romantic." Have you read Lilith Saintcrow?
Paul

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

I haven't started the Saintcrow books yet, but I will say that one reason the genre appeals to me, regardless of the stance taken, is because of the gray area. Many things in life are not black or white, and the representations of this fact within these books is often well-done, I think.

In response to an earlier post of Toni's (I think), it seems to me that this may be one distinction between the paranormal and the more traditional horror genres.

Carol
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

>> Charlie Huston’s Joe Pitt novels (Already Dead, etc.)

Joe Pitt rules. Some of the best books I have read in years.

I also want to give props to Tanya Huff and P.N. Elrod. I haven't read any of their books in years (not enough time), but the ones I have read were great. Time to play catch up.
Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Finally, another Charlie Huston fan! Thanks Lord Ruthven – and for all those haters out there who think paranormal fantasy is a "chick" subgenre, just read one of Huston's Joe Pitt novels. The first one – Already Dead – came out in December of 2005 and just blew me away! The review and link are below in case anyone is interested.
Paul

From Our Editors
The Barnes & Noble Review
The vampire mythos gets a healthy dose of attitude à la Raymond Chandler in Charlie Huston's singularly cool Already Dead, a savage and sardonic novel that blends blood-sucking fantasy and horror elements with the hard-boiled style of noir thrillers.

Joe Pitt is a vampyre living in post-9/11 New York City. On an island ruled by all-powerful and very politically diverse vampyre clans -- the Coalition, the Society, the Enclave, et al. -- Pitt is a loner, surviving by doing various odd jobs for clan bosses. When he becomes indebted to the Coalition and is strong-armed into finding the runaway daughter of a biotech magnate, the undead amateur detective begins a treacherous mission that will lead him through the dark underbelly of Manhattan and pit him against brain-eating zombies, drug-addicted squatters, warring vampyre factions, and his most base desire: the need to feed.

Huston, who has already wowed mystery and mainstream fiction readers with his breakout novels, Caught Stealing and Six Bad Things (down-and-dirty suspense thrillers featuring ill-fated bartender-turned-outlaw Henry "Hank" Thompson), is primed to blow the socks off of yet another genre audience with Already Dead, a novel that introduces a rousing new twist on one of literature's oldest and most popular myths. Simply put, this is an absolute must-read for dark fantasy, horror, and mystery aficionados, as well as mainstream fiction fans looking for something a little off the beaten path. All categorization aside, Huston's genre-transcending, pedal-to-the-metal novel is a thrill ride of the highest order -- gloriously nasty! Paul Goat Allen

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780345478245&itm=1
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Krystn:
Have you read Many Bloody Returns? I think I have it somewhere in my ARC pile... If you really like it – and it looks great! – start a new thread and we'll talk about it. If you haven't read it, just let me know and I'll try to dig it up and tell everyone what's inside...
Paul
Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

No, Paul. I haven't read Many Bloody Returns. It's on the TBR list. It just sounded like it had a variety of different authors and I thought it might offer a well rounded view of the UF genre. But again, I don't know know who all the authors are, etc. If you find the ARC, let me know what you think. How are you doing on the Lilith Saintcrow books? Krystn
I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

"Already Dead" is the vampire novel I had been waiting for for years and just didn't know it.
Derek Tatum
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

BTW, I want to give Susan Sizemore some recognition for her "Laws of the Blood" series. I haven't read all of them, but I like what I have read. Sizemore is better known for her romance novels these days, but she got her start as urban fantasy ("Forever Knight" fanfiction writer, actually, which translated into a professional writing career). Ace recently reissued "Laws of the Blood" with really nice covers.
Derek Tatum
Contributor
Iwant2read
0 Kudos

Wicked Lovely looks way to much like Holly Black's work to me, so I haven't read it yet. :smileysad:
Has anyone read Tithe and Wicked Lovely? Were they as much as alike as it seems?
(Sorry if I'm being kinda random...)
~I'll be your Bella if you'll be my Edward~
(aka...hopeless romantic)
Frequent Contributor
jadering
0 Kudos

Great subject! I can't wait to go through it all and highlight everything I haven't read yet. Here's my list. As mentioned by someone else previously, my list rankings also depend on my mood.

1. Kim Harrison
2. JR Ward
3. Charlaine Harris
4. Ann Bishop
5. Sherrilynn Kenyon
6. Vicki Petterssen
7. Lilith Saintcrow
8. CE Murphy
9. Rachel Caine
10. Carrie Vaughn

I've run out of room, but I'd also like to add to the list Patricia Briggs and Christine Feehan. :smileyhappy:
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Derk:
I love Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt novels too – have you read the second in the series, No Dominion yet? Even better than the first! You of all people will enjoy this – the link below is my B&N interview with Charlie for the No Dominion release in December of 2006. Usually my interviews with authors are pretty cut-and-dry but this one was absolutely unforgettable. I love Charlie's sense of humor. If the linked interview doesn't make you want to read his Joe Pitt series, I don't know what will!
Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=9780345478252&displayonly=ITV&z=y#IT...