Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Re: Top Ten Paranormal Authors

I didn't like "No Dominion" better, but I can't say it was a disappointment, either. Both books are awesome.
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

A few people mentioned Mark del Franco. Kelley Armstrong is sponsoring a discussion of his book on her website this month.

Carol
So many books, so little time...
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Here's the list of authors in Many Bloody Returns:

Charlaine Harris
Christopher Golden
Bill Crider
Kelley Armstrong
Jim Butcher
P.N. Elrod
Rachel Caine
Jeanne C. Stein
Tanya Huff
Carolyn Haines
Tate Hallaway
Elaine Viets
Toni L.P. Kelner

Carol
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Chomp:
Speaking of Charlaine Harris, most readers probably know her for her Sookie Stackhouse novels but Penguin recently began re-releasing her work before she hit it big. In March, Sweet and Deadly (her first novel) was reissued and although it didn't sell particularly well, I loved it! It was one of the most unique Southern Gothic novels I've ever read. The B&N link and my review are below if you interested. Great read!
Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780425214626&itm=1

From Our Editors
The Barnes & Noble Review
Out of print for more than 20 years, the debut novel from prolific mystery author Charlaine Harris (the Aurora Teagarden saga, the Lily Bard stories, et al.) is finally available once again. But unlike her lighthearted and humor-filled Sookie Stackhouse series, Sweet and Deadly is an eerie and atmospheric gem about a young woman named Catherine Linton, who returns to her home in Lowfield, Mississippi, following her parents' tragic death and becomes entangled in the small town's dirty little secrets.

While out target shooting on her family's land, the still-grieving Catherine stumbles across the corpse of a brutally beaten woman hidden away in an old shack. The victim, it turns out, was a decidedly unlikable nurse who worked with Catherine's physician father. Catherine investigates further and soon uncovers the scandalous truth: The nurse was blackmailing someone in the town -- someone prominent and someone desperate enough to kill in order to keep a secret…

Longtime Harris fans will be more than pleasantly surprised by this dark and disturbing murder mystery set in a small town on the Mississippi Delta. Vividly re-creating the unique and sometimes negative aspects of southern culture (replete with underpinnings of racism, sexism, self-righteousness, etc.), Sweet and Deadly is archetypical southern gothic -- especially the novel's shocking conclusion. Highly recommended. Paul Goat Allen
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip on the early Harris, Paul. I will definitely check it out.

Carol
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Carol:
It's no big deal – I just thought if you like Charlaine Harris and you're willing to read a southern gothic novel, you should definitely check out Sweet and Deadly. It's one of those books that just stays with you... I really enjoyed it.
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
synnergy
0 Kudos

Just wondering if anyone has read "Magic Bits" by Ilona Andrews. If so what did you think of it.

My list of books-to-read is getting longer and longer :smileyhappy:
I just ordered Lilith Saintcrow's books and Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy, so I am probably good for awhile.. but inevitably while I am buying new books, I always find more then I need.

Also, does anyone know when Jeaniene Frost's book "Halfway to the Grave" comes out?

Syn
Frequent Contributor
synnergy
0 Kudos

Ack.. I also wanted to ask if anyone has read Kelley Armstrong's "Exit Strategy" yet?

I was just wondering what to expect?

Thanks

Syn~
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

synnergy wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has read "Magic Bits" by Ilona Andrews. If so what did you think of it.

My list of books-to-read is getting longer and longer :smileyhappy:
I just ordered Lilith Saintcrow's books and Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy, so I am probably good for awhile.. but inevitably while I am buying new books, I always find more then I need.

Also, does anyone know when Jeaniene Frost's book "Halfway to the Grave" comes out?

Syn

Hi Synnergy. MAGIC BITES by Ilona Andrews was awesome. Action-packed, fast-paced, and with a take-no-prisoners heroine. I loved it. The sequel, MAGIC BURNS, comes out in March.

HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE comes out October 30th. It's my Halloween baby :smileywink:
www.jeanienefrost.com
Frequent Contributor
synnergy
0 Kudos

Thank you Jeaniene :smileyhappy:

I looking forward to "halfway to the Grave" It sounds like it is going to be an exciting read! I am very intrigued!!!

Syn
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

"Magic Bites" was cool, though I didn't care for the title. Good to see Atlanta used as a setting.
Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I had a different opinion of Magic Bites. I thought it was a good – and worthy – read but it was way too formulaic for my tastes. There's a definite template alot of these contemporary urban fantasy sagas follow – especially after the success of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. And this was one of those novels that, if you haven't read a ton of comparable releases, you would probably love it – but if you've read Harrison, Hamilton, Briggs, Vaughn, Pettersson, etc., you'll see the formula pretty clearly. Don't get me wrong, there are much-used templates in all the genres and I have nothing against stories that follow certain well-traveled structures but when the author doesn't bring anything new to the table, that's when I lose interest. It was good but it didn't "wow" me like some of the other recent releases we've been talking about.

Next month's feature is the new Cherie Priest novel, Not Flesh Nor Feathers, and Derek can back me up on this, her books are amazing. Love, love, love them – and the PW review said it was her best yet!
Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780765313102&itm=1

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 09-25-2007 11:00 PM
Frequent Contributor
synnergy
0 Kudos

Oh wow, thanks for the info Paul :smileyhappy:

The new Cherie Priest novel? Does that mean there are earlier ones in the series?
My stack is growing rapidly. I am almost done with Succubus Blues. I must say I am really enjoying it. I like it a lot more then Jackie Kessler's Hells Belles. It isnt that Kessler's book wasnt good. It just took a very long time to connect with the character's. I felt an immediate connection to the main character in Mead's book. I am looking forward to reading her Vampire Academy book.

Hrmm and now there is a new Author.. Cherie Priest that you speak fondly of.
Quote "her books are amazing. Love, love, love them"

Thanks again.. for pointing me in a new direction.. I love this book club!!
You guys rock!!

Syn
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Paul,

I thought there were only two books in the Priest series, but it turns out there are three. Oh, dear...

Carol
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
I had a different opinion of Magic Bites. I thought it was a good – and worthy – read but it was way too formulaic for my tastes.

I definitely agree with you, but I think all of these books are getting to be formulaic. What I did enjoy about "Magic Bites" was that the romance element was muted. And of course, the use of Atlanta :smileywink:
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
Baker
0 Kudos

Vampire academy is really good. I think I finished that book in like an hour because I couldn't put it down. Honestly I can't name ten authors I really like in this genre.
Baker
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Syn:
Yeah, the new Cherie Priest is part of a series but the cool thing about her novels is that you don't necessarily have to read them in sequential order. The main character Eden Moore is a woman who can see spirits of the dead and each novel is a new ghostly adventure. So don't worry about reading the first two, although I would definitely recommend it. Her debut, Four and Twenty Blackbirds, is still one of my all-time favs...
Paul
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Derek:
I'm with you about Magic Bites, although the setting of Atlanta really didn't do anything special for me. In fact, I don't really remember anything about the setting that made it stand out from other paranormal cities – LKH'S St. Louis, Harrison's Cincinnati, Butcher's Chicago, etc. I'd imagine if you live there or have fond memories of Atlanta, the book would have a deeper impression but it was pretty cardboard to me...

I think this particular subgenre is sooo ripe for some out-of-the-box author to completely redefine "paranormal fantasy" and just blow the doors off of all of this formulaic stuff. Authors I've mentioned before are beginning to test the boundaries – Huston, Acevedo, etc. – but here's my prediction: a very well-known, bestselling author in another genre is going to try his or her hand at paranormal fantasy and just hit it out of the park with their own interpretation...
Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 09-26-2007 11:24 PM
Frequent Contributor
synnergy
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul,
I actually looked up Four and Twenty Blackbirds on the Barns and Noble site. If you hadn't already convinced me here to pick up the book, the review you wrote definitely hooked me.

WOW! your review was outstanding!!! Very well written!!

Syn
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
I'd imagine if you live there or have fond memories of Atlanta, the book would have a deeper impression but it was pretty cardboard to me...

You nailed it. I don't live in Atlanta, but I am there all the time, so there was that "hey cool" reaction from me. I'll need to check out Phaedra Weldon's "Wraith" at some point for that same reason. I did enjoy the story - and I liked the fact that the werecreatures had hybrid forms, not just a strict transformation into an animal like most books these days.
Derek Tatum