Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
KatRichardson
0 Kudos

Re: Top Ten Paranormal Authors

Ack! And Caitlin Kittredge! Eep: how could I leave her out? Her upcoming series starting with STREET MAGIC is Amazing!
Kat Richardson
http://katrichardson.com/
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

KatRichardson wrote:
I'm more of the grit-n-grime school, myself--both the reading and the writing--than the romantic school.
Your books are actually on my to-read list, because that was the vibe I picked up off of them. Also, your divisions between PRom and UF are spot-on. Of course, I'd also argue that PRom is ultimately a subset of UF.

KatRichardson wrote:
Charlaine Harris (OK, they are rural, but the rest of the UF tropes are there)
"Contemporary fantasy" might be a slightly more accurate genre name. So we are still up the creek definition-wise :smileywink:
Derek Tatum
Author
KatRichardson
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:

Of course, I'd also argue that PRom is ultimately a subset of UF.

I think of it as a sister genre, really--close but not exactly the same. As a subset I'd be uncomfortable, since that seems to say "this is lesser and smaller" to me and the romance crosses are actually more numerous.
Kat Richardson
New User
readerdiane7
0 Kudos

So how do you differentiate with straight Fantasy? I find all of the lines blurring for me.

Does straight Fantasy not have vampires/werewolves? Some lines are blurring with fantasy and Sci fic-not the hard boil ones but like Wen Spencer's Tinker. It is fantasy but there are some elements of Sci Fi.

I love all the authors you have mentioned, maybe not all of their books. I'd also add Robin Owens to your list.

Speaking of lists you might want to check out this list. It has a preview of what is being published in the next few months in these genres. :smileywink:

http://urbanfantasyland.wordpress.com/new-releases-2008/
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

readerdiane7 wrote:
Speaking of lists you might want to check out this list. It has a preview of what is being published in the next few months in these genres. :smileywink:

http://urbanfantasyland.wordpress.com/new-releases-2008/

Boy that's helpful. Thanks. :smileyhappy:

I was so impressed with the interface that I set up my own blog at Wordpress. Not sure if I will actually do anything with it (I have one over at Blogspot), but I might consider uprooting and moving.

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 04-12-2008 12:11 PM
Derek Tatum
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

KatRichardson wrote:
Ack! And Caitlin Kittredge! Eep: how could I leave her out? Her upcoming series starting with STREET MAGIC is Amazing!

I just realized that you mentioned "new series." That is good news.
Derek Tatum
Author
KatRichardson
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:

I just realized that you mentioned "new series." That is good news.

Oh yeah! Pester her about it: Black London it's called. Great stuff! She's going to be doing additional Nocturne City books as well, so good news all around from the talented Ms. Kittredge.

re: differentiating Fantasy, I personally break the category in two big chunks based on the setting type, with subs within those: traditional Tolkeinesque/"High" fantasy with settings vaguely analogous to various historical periods; and Contemporary with settings essentially "modern" or slightly futuristic. After that, it's a merry jumble. :smileywink: Of course, I don't have to shelve them, so what do I know?
Kat Richardson
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KatRichardson wrote:
Of course, I don't have to shelve them, so what do I know?

Yeah, I hear you there...right now my fiction is divided into "vampire books" and "everything else." Which is getting difficult in and of itself.

If I ran a bookstore, my speculative fiction category would be titled "Science Fiction / Fantasy / Horror."

And I have pestered Caitlin Kittredge about Black London...it has the ring of a steampunk kind of thing. Am I close?

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 04-12-2008 05:38 PM
Derek Tatum
Author
KatRichardson
0 Kudos

Steampunkery... no. Far from it. It's a contemporary about a street mage named Jack who is a former punk rocker and current heroine addict, and his unwilling partner in solving paranormal crime, Pete (short for Petunia), who is a Scotland Yard detective with a strange relationship to Very Bad Things--one of them being Jack. It's got a slightly Neil Gaiman/Warren Ellis feel to the setting and approach, but it's pure Caitlin in the 'tude. Really fun reading.
Kat Richardson
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

That sounds like something I'll like even more than the Nocturne City books.
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

" Yeah, I hear you there...right now my fiction is divided into "vampire books" and "everything else." Which is getting difficult in and of itself."

:smileysurprised:   This sounds similar to my sorting system for my horror books; vampires, monsters, & random.    :smileyhappy:   Fantasy is closer to: dark, light, dragons, other mythologies.   Science fiction is: earthbased, alternate planet based, and spacebased.  Nonfiction is usually not so organized; the biggest subgroup is moviemaking, the rest are mostly history.  Other people need closet organizers...I need floor to ceiling bookcases!  :smileywink:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Two things – 1. Readerdiane7, that link was fantastic! I create my own lists every month and there were actually a few titles on that site that I missed. Thank you, thank you, thank you! That is now one of my bookmarks.

2. Nick and Derek: Regarding the categorization of books – paranormal romance, urban fantasy, etc. – this question is coming up all the time lately. Because the boundaries between genres are basically nonexistent now, and many authors are writing novels that utilize elements from numerous genres, categorizing some books seems impossible – and pointless. After all, if it's a good read, who really cares where it's shelved? But it brings up the problem to booksellers – where do you shelve Mario Acevedo or LKH or Marjorie Liu? I've seen Laurell K. Hamilton, for example, in romance, fiction, erotica, and fantasy.

Does where a book is shelved or how it is categorized really matter to you guys?
Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 04-20-2008 10:30 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
After all, if it's a good read, who really cares where it's shelved?

That's how I feel about the whole thing. Even my own internal categories at home are not ones I would likely use if I ran a bookstore :smileywink:
Derek Tatum
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I too find the lines between genres are bluring but to me it has broadened my reading because I am trying a lot more authors because I am finding things I like in all the books but some I will keep and reread while other I won't and generally those I don't get any more of their books.  I know that it makes it harder to find books in the store. 

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
Lynnn36
0 Kudos

Catagorizing books...ha..I give up. I just alphabatize now. That way at least I can a specific author.I tried going by genre at first but the lines blur too much.

Lynn
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

This genre transcendence or genre-hybridization or whatever want to you call it absolutely fascinates me. Genre fiction is undergoing a revolutionary transformation and I haven't read many essays or blogs or articles about it. SF is blending into fantasy is blending into mystery is blending into romance is blending into horror is blending into SF! Why is this happening? The answer is amazingly simple: because it makes a good story. A popular term in the last few years has been interstitial fiction – fiction between the boundaries of genres.

What do you think about the term "interstitial fiction"? Does it describe LKH, Jim Butcher, Cherie Priest, Kim Harrison, Mario Acevedo, etc.?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

interstitial fiction

that's a bit awkward.
Around here we call it cross genre fiction.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Do you see this trend continuing? (I do.) And if so, what's going to happen to the categories in bookstores? Several people have stated on this forum that they read certain books because of the familiarity with formulaic cover art and/or title categorization. I'm really curious about how bookstores are going to handle this potential problem...

Also, I've also noticed a marked "homogenization" of cover art. What used to be a historically tried-and-true dark fantasy image – for example, a sword-wielding protag standing in front of a full moon – is now seen on romance covers, horror covers, mystery covers, etc. I think this just solidifies my point about the increasing significance (and selling potential) of the story content, not the category. What do you think?
Paul
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
I think this just solidifies my point about the increasing significance (and selling potential) of the story content, not the category.

You nailed it. For example, I am far more likely to find myself perusing the Romance section now than I was a year ago. It's not that I particularly care for the more "category romance" elements, but if it has a well thought out "mythology" (for lack of a better term) and likeable characters, I could care less what section it is put in.
Derek Tatum
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I think that it is going to be confusing because I know a couple of authors who write Science Fiction/Romance whose covers were definetly Science Fiction but just recently the publisher changed the covers to more sexy romance which really doesn't reflect the story and are marketing them as Paranormal romances.  I am glad that I have the old editions of the books.   But if the publishers are blurring the lines I think that bookstores are going to have a hard time shelving them.  Unless they just put them all in General Fiction and go alphabetic.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care