Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

paulgoatallen wrote:

That's the danger of Hollywood making a book into a movie. When you read a novel, you perceive characters in certain way and if the movie deviates from your visuals, it's usually disappointing. I can list dozens of movies that haven't lived up to my expectations after reading the novels:

1. Dune by Frank Herbert

2. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

3. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

4.  Children of Men by P.D. James

5. Eragon by Paolini

6.  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

7.  The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

8. Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice

9. Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle

10. 2010 by Arthur C. Clarke

11. Enemy Mine by Barry Longyear

12. Clan of the Cabe Bear by Jean Auel

13. The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein

And that's just off the top of my head! It's gotten to the point where I almost hope none of my favorite books are ever made into movies....

Paul 

Ah well Paul, The Hitchhiker screenwrite was actually being done by Adams when he died. I think they did a wonderful honerable job afterwards. It not the worst on screen interpritation by far. And the homage use of Adams own tune in the being was sweet. 

But can we add

Damnation Alley - Roger Zelany

Starship Troupers - Robert Heinlein

Dracula - Brom Stoker

Frankenstien - Mary Shelly

Time Machince - H.G. Wells 

And Lets just face it. The more you love a book the more any interpritaion but your own, sucks. 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MY GOD, TIGGER! How could I have forgotten Starship Troopers?!? Good call! That may have been the all-time WORST movie based on a book. Somewhere Robert Heinlein is rolling over...

And, I agree, Hitchhiker's Guide could've been a lot worse, but it was still disappointing to me I think because I loved the series so much and had such (probably impossibly) high expectations... 

Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 08-06-2008 08:16 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

MY GOD, TIGGER! How could I have forgotten Starship Troopers?!? Good call! That may have been the all-time WORST movie based on a book. Somewhere Robert Heinlein is rolling over...

And, I agree, Hitchhiker's Guide could've been a lot worse, but it was still disappointing to me I think because I loved the series so much and had such (probably impossibly) high expectations... 

Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 08-06-2008 08:16 PM

Funny thing is his wife approved it. She actually said it was the best screenwrite of all her husband books. But if you've read enough Heinlein you'd know she read few if any of his books. (chuckle)