Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Re: Upcoming Book Releases!!

Well I checked Larissa Ione's website and it says August 24...here's to hoping.  Crossing my fingers!!  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

Here's some upcoming fantasy books I plan to read in or around September:

Cold Magic because it looks completely fascinating.

An Artificial Night because the first book, Rosemary and Rue (October Daye Series #1), was spectacular, and the second book, A Local Habitation, was very, very good.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

dalnewt wrote:

An Artificial Night because the first book, Rosemary and Rue (October Daye Series #1), was spectacular, and the second book, A Local Habitation, was very, very good.

The Strain was AWESOME!  I wasn't sure I would like it but it kept me glued.  I am looking forward to the second one in the trilogy.  :-)

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Looks like Sin Undone is available in a few stores here today!  Woohoo!  :-)  Glad the release date IS this month!

Just waiting for the next Dakot Banks book (Sacrafice) to show up now!  :-)

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Huh...stumbled on this one at the book store today...for anyone that's reading these books:

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

Since we are a couple days shy of September thought I would post the releases that I am looking forward to:

9/1      Blameless: Gail Carriger

9/12     An Artificial Night: Seanan McGuire - WHOOP WHOOP!

9/28     Bayou Moon: Ilona Andrews

9/28     Torment: Lauren Kate - YA book, actually not looking forward to it (library rental for sure), but since I read the first and it was okay....

9/28     Double Cross: Carolyn Crane

9/28     Venom: Jennifer Estep

So what's on your guys September shopping list?

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Here is my list!  Some I haven't even read the first book yet though...  *sigh*

Ones I am REALLY looking forward to...  An Artificial Night and Part II of The Strain Trilogy,The Fall...the first book was awesome!!

September 7, 2010

Seanan Mcguire: October Daye #3 - An Artificial Night

Anya Bast: Dark Magick series #2 - Cruel Enchantment

Alyssa Day: Warriors of Poseidon #6  - Atlantis Betrayed

Rob Thurman: A Trickster Novel #2 - The Grimrose Path

September 10, 2010

Addison Fox: Son’s of the Zodiac #2 - Warrior Avenged

September 21, 2010

Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan: Strain Trilogy #2 - The Fall

September 28, 2010

Cat Adams: Bloodsinger #2 - Siren Song

Jennifer Estep: Elemental Assassin #3 - Venom

Carolyn Crane: The disillusionists #2 - Double Cross

L.A. Banks: Crimson Moon Series #6 - Left for Undead

Frequent Contributor
Katie983

I'm really looking forward to the next book in the Strain trilogy. I breezed through that book in a matter of hours; I just couldn't put it down. :smileyhappy:

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ

[ Edited ]

Teresa wrote--

Ones I am REALLY looking forward to...  An Artificial Night and Part II of The Strain Trilogy,The Fall...the first book was awesome!!

September 7, 2010

September 10, 2010

September 21, 2010

September 28, 2010

Hi Teresa - I am also looking forward to The Fall - #2 of the Strain Trilogy - the first book was awesome, I am playing catch up on my reading.  So much fun.  I have all of the Dark Day series - I need to read Pray for Dawn and then I can catch up to Wait for Dusk - but they are fast reads.  LOL.  I have pre-ordered several books and this morning I received - Chosen - by Jeanne Stein:smileyhappy:

Phyllis
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

PhyllisJ wrote:

Teresa wrote--

September 7, 2010

September 10, 2010

September 21, 2010

September 28, 2010

Hi Teresa - I am also looking forward to The Fall - #2 of the Strain Trilogy - the first book was awesome, I am playing catch up on my reading.  So much fun.  I have all of the Dark Day series - I need to read Pray for Dawn and then I can catch up to Wait for Dusk - but they are fast reads.  LOL.  I have pre-ordered several books and this morning I received - Chosen - by Jeanne Stein:smileyhappy:

Pray for DAwn and Wait for Dusk were really good...Wait for Dusk was a little sad at the end. :-(

So one of the local bookstores JUST got Chosen!  Woofreakinghoo!!  I know where I'm going after work!  :-D

Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

3monstersmom wrote:

Since we are a couple days shy of September thought I would post the releases that I am looking forward to:

9/1      Blameless: Gail Carriger

9/12     An Artificial Night: Seanan McGuire - WHOOP WHOOP!

9/28     Bayou Moon: Ilona Andrews

9/28     Torment: Lauren Kate - YA book, actually not looking forward to it (library rental for sure), but since I read the first and it was okay....

9/28     Double Cross: Carolyn Crane

9/28     Venom: Jennifer Estep

So what's on your guys September shopping list?

September is a light month for me, which is good since Im still behind on the summer releases! Here is my list.

September 7, 2010

Sherrily Kenyon -  No Mercy (Dark Hunter #19)

Anya Bast - Cruel Enchantment (Dark Magick #2)

Rob Thurman - The Grimrose Path (Trickster #2)

September 28, 2010

Lara Adrian - Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed #8)

Kerrelyn Sparks - Eat, Prey, Love (Love at Stake #9)

Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

You think you're behind? I'm just now getting to last spring's releases!!! :smileytongue:

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Wordsmith
3monstersmom
0 Kudos

Does anyone else view their growing TBR piles with a mixture of pride, love, desire, admiration, stress, possessiveness, overwhelming, and consumer guilt?  :smileytongue:
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

3monstersmom wrote:
Does anyone else view their growing TBR piles with a mixture of pride, love, desire, admiration, stress, possessiveness, overwhelming, and consumer guilt?  :smileytongue:

LOL, mine is excitement, stress and guilt!  :-)

Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

3monstersmom wrote:

Let's not talk about the TBR piles.  I quite adding to it cause you all would make it unmanagable.  :smileywink:

I still have stuff in there from two + years ago that I will probably never get to and there are several series I would like to start but haven't bought yet.  It's depressing if I think about it.....

Honestly, my nook has helped.  I only buy books I'm getting ready to start so there is no guilt about 'wasting' money.  But my ebook wishlist is now getting big.  And lets not talk about my wishlist on Amazon.....last I checked it was over 8 pages.  ouch!

Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Teresa wrote--

Pray for DAwn and Wait for Dusk were really good...Wait for Dusk was a little sad at the end. :-(

So one of the local bookstores JUST got Chosen!  Woofreakinghoo!!  I know where I'm going after work!  :-D

Hi Teresa - Thanks for the info, I have those on my upcoming TBR pile, I really like that series.  I love Mira and Danaus.

I have my TBR pile arranged as follows, let me know what you think, should I move something up to the beginning.  LOL, you know me, I will toss them all in a pile and grab one.

Pray for Dawn

Wait for Dusk

The Sweet Scent Of Blood

The Cold Kiss Of Death

Unholy Magic

City of Ghosts

Phantasm

Revenant

As Lie The Dead

Black Dust Mambo

Kitty Goes to War

Blood Law

Of course my pile goes on and on, but this is my catch up pile and I have pre-ordered some books and just ordered some others.  :smileywink:

Phyllis
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dalnewt wrote--

dalnewt wrote:

Hi Dalnewt,

I really enjoyed The Strain and I am looking forward to The Fall,  have you read Cold Magic yet or An Artifical Night?  If so, I would like to know what you thought of them?  I pre-ordered Artificial Night and I placed an order for some books today and also added it again.   I don't think I have ever read anything by Kate Elliott.  Thanks in advance.

Phyllis
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

PhyllisJ wrote:

Teresa wrote--

Hi Teresa - Thanks for the info, I have those on my upcoming TBR pile, I really like that series.  I love Mira and Danaus.

I have my TBR pile arranged as follows, let me know what you think, should I move something up to the beginning.  LOL, you know me, I will toss them all in a pile and grab one.

Pray for Dawn

Wait for Dusk

The Sweet Scent Of Blood

The Cold Kiss Of Death

Unholy Magic

City of Ghosts

Phantasm

Revenant

As Lie The Dead

Black Dust Mambo

Kitty Goes to War

Blood Law

Of course my pile goes on and on, but this is my catch up pile and I have pre-ordered some books and just ordered some others.  :smileywink:

Hmmmm, lets see, LOL....  I would move As Lie the Dead and Kitty Goes to War towards the top.  :-)  I'm reading As Lie the Dead now and it's excellent!  Non-stop action so far, at least half way through the book.  Kitty Goes to War was really good as well and it's a quick read.  :-)

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Just thought I would post this here as well...October release and looks to be a good one.  Woot!  :-)

Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files

The first short story collection in the #1 "New York Times" bestselling series-including a brand-new Harry Dresden novella
Here, together for the first time, are the shorter works of #1 "New York Times" bestselling author Jim Butcher-a compendium of cases that Harry and his cadre of allies managed to close in record time. The tales range from the deadly serious to the absurdly hilarious. Also included is a new, never-before-published novella that takes place after the cliff-hanger ending of the new April 2010 hardcover, "Changes." This is a must-have collection for every devoted Harry Dresden fan as well as a perfect introduction for readers ready to meet Chicago's only professional wizard.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

Somehow I missed this September release entitled 

Immanuel's Veins. It's featured as a new release on B&N main book page and appears to be a historical 'thriller' blending fantasy and suspense. Here are the publisher's lead-in and the Library Journal review:

From the Publisher

This story is for everyone--but not everyone is for this story.

It is a dangerous tale of times past. A torrid love story full of deep seduction. A story of terrible longing and bold sacrifice.

Then as now, evil begins its courtship cloaked in light. And the heart embraces what it should flee. Forgetting it once had a truer lover.

With a kiss, evil will ravage body, soul, and mind. Yet there remains hope, because the heart knows no bounds.

Love will prove greater than lust. Sacrifice will overcome seduction. And blood will flow.

Because the battle for the heart is always violently opposed. For those desperate to drink deep from this fountain of life, enter.

But remember, not everyone is for this story.

Library Journal

In 1772, Catherine the Great sends warrior Toma Nicolescu to Moldavia to protect the Cantemir family. During the course of his assignment, he grows fond of their daughter Lucine. Then Vlad van Valerik appears with the intent of courting Lucine. Toma senses something is wrong with this new suitor. Are his own feelings for Lucine getting in the way, or does this stranger pose a serious threat? VERDICT Best-selling suspense author Dekker has written a page-turning spiritual thriller populated with intriguing characters. Fans of CF suspense and fantasy should eat this one up, but historical fiction fans will also enjoy the Saint Thomas of Russia story line.