Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Re: Upcoming Book Releases!!

Looking forward to this one for March 27!!!  :-D

Back from the Undead: The Bloodhound Files

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Oooooooh and I've been waiting FOREVER for this one!!!  #3 in the series!

Deliverance: Mortal Path Book Three

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Oh and I found more! 

End of March:

A Sliver of Shadow

This one for March 6:

Eventide: The Dark Ink Chronicles

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

A Sliver of Shadow 

I actually preordered this one and received the e-mail from B & N that the release was pushed back, but when I went to the store they already had it on the shelf.  Needless to say I cancelled my online order and bought it there, but I wonder what was going on with that.  Looks like you can order it on line now though. 

Can not wait to start in on it.

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

Blood on the Bayou 

Wicked as They Come  

There is something about the cover art for Wicked as They Come that I just love.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The following releases are reserved for my pickup at my local B&N: 

Doubletake (Cal and Niko Series #7) 

Discount Armageddon (InCryptid Series #1) 

A Sliver of Shadow and a fantasy entitled Kingdoms of Dust   

I'm also going to order the sequel to Of Blood and Honey entitled And Blue Skies from Pain (3/6 release)

And Blue Skies from Pain

Publishers WeeklyThis deft sequel to Of Blood and Honey, set in 1977 Ireland, follows half-fey Liam Kelly in his continuing struggles. He longs to convince the Church that fairies are not devils, and to learn about his long-lost father and his people. He’s also trying to come to terms with his metaphorical demons, including his guilt over his wife’s death and the damage he did as a member of the Irish Republican Army, his addiction to heroin, and the shame of being raped in prison. Liam’s allies, from old friends Father Murray and Frankie to chance-met fae-punks, are believable and sympathetic. The action sequences are so fast-paced and his hauntings are so vivid that readers will scarcely notice that most of the book takes place in Liam’s head. Though the magical side of things once again goes largely unexplained, tantalizing glimpses into the fae world and Liam’s growing self-acceptance hint that later installments may step further into the Twilight. Agent: Joe Monti, Barry Goldblatt Literary. (Mar.) 
And, I wouldn't miss Sacrificial Magic  (3/27 release)
Sacrificial Magic
And Back from the Undead  (3/27 release) 
Back from the Undead: The Bloodhound Files
Here are the Fiction Affliction links listing the March releases in UF, Paranormal Romance and Genre Benders:
P.S. It looks like the paperback version of 
Fair Game (Alpha and Omega Series #3) has been released early and is available right now. (The nookbook version is available 3/6).
Also  note I came across an interesting/promising  steampunk release to be released 3/27 entitled Joe Golem and the Drowning City  
Joe Golem and the Drowning City
Library Journal
Comics artist Mignola (Hellboy) and novelist Golden, who previously collaborated on the gothic illustrated horror novel Baltimore, reunite for this tale of an alternate New York City, one ravaged by a 1925 earthquake that submerged the lower half of Manhattan beneath the Atlantic Ocean. The titular character, a bruiser of few words, is one of many colorful characters who populate the Drowning City, including a clockwork Victorian detective, an aging medium, and a mad occult scientist trying to gain the attention of elder gods who exist behind the stars. VERDICT The steampunk supernatural world the authors have created is unique and inventive. Many elements and themes should be familiar to Mignola buffs, but that doesn't diminish the story's originality. The illustrations are a bit disappointing, though, as most add little to the narrative and many are small and vague or indistinguishable. But that's a small mark against an otherwise fun and well-written read. Recommended for fans of Hellboy, dystopian novels, and those who like a little horror with their action stories.—Peter Petruski, Cumberland Cty. Lib. Syst., Carlisle, PA
dalnewt
0 Kudos

I just ordered a really intriguing standalone book that PW compares to the haunting and evocative work of Shirley Jackson.  Released March 6, the book is entitled 

The Drowning Girl.

The Drowning Girl

PW gave the book a starred review and All Things Urban Fantasy rated it as a 5 bat (near perfect) read. I've copied both reviews below: 

Publishers Weekly

Kiernan’s finely crafted stand-alone fantasy guides an artistic young woman through a maze of false memories and blurred realities. A diagnosis of schizophrenia is no surprise to India Morgan Phelps, aka Imp; her “family’s lunacy lines up tidy as boxcars” down the generations. Meds and psychiatry help keep her stable until she meets Eva Canning, who looks just like the woman in The Drowning Girl, an 1898 painting that has enthralled Imp since she was a child. Imp’s need to learn the truth about Eva brings on dreams and memories that can’t be real, and the obsession only gets worse when Eva abruptly disappears. Could Eva be the ghost of the woman who inspired the painter of The Drowning Girl, or a priestess whose worshippers died in a mass drowning in 1991? The chiding voice in Imp’s head urges her to get her stories straight, but how can she when reality keeps changing? Kiernan evokes the gripping and resonant work of Shirley Jackson in a haunting story that’s half a mad artist’s diary and half fairy tale. Agent: Merrilee Heifetz, Writers House. (Mar.)

Early 5bat! Review: The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan   
The Drowning Girl

Title: The Drowning Girl
Author:  Caitlin R. Kiernan
Series: N/A
Cover Art: N/A 
Genre: dark fantasy
Excerpt: No 
Source: Publisher
Reviewed by: Julia

• Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Roc Trade; March 6, 2012
  • ISBN-10: 0451464168
  • ISBN-13: 978-0451464163

Sexual Content: 
References to sex, descriptions of oral sex and sex toys.

Rating:

Near Perfect - Buy two copies: one for you and one for a friend.

Description

India Morgan Phelps-Imp to her friends-is schizophrenic. She can no longer trust her own mind, because she is convinced that her memories have somehow betrayed her, forcing her to question her very identity.

Struggling with her perceptions of reality, Imp must uncover the truth about her encounters with a vicious siren, or a helpless wolf that cam to her as a feral girl, or neither of these things but something far, far stranger…

Review

By the purest definition of the rating, THE DROWNING GIRL is indisputably 5bats.  A few chapters in, I was already reading passages aloud to friends.  I already knew who would be receiving my own copy, budgeting for who I could send others.  This had less to do with any enjoyment of the book than a sense of haunting that perfectly mirrors the main character’s own experiences.  Does anyone else see what I see?  Am I crazy, am I alone? 

THE DROWNING GIRL introduces concepts and stories and images that are impossible to shake, and the thought of being able to discuss them with others is comforting.  Even more so, the line between fantasy and reality is blurred more in this book than any other I’ve read.  Which of the “facts” relayed by Imp are from our world, which from hers?  While the fantasy elements of this story are arguably the product of Imp’s illness, the way she expresses her story is so beautifully crafted as to make me doubt even that.  This charismatic but unreliable narrator, like any true artist, is able to convey the feeling of her own insanity without ever giving me the sense that I had unraveled it's mystery.  As I read, trying to match dates and references to reality, I realized I was falling into Imp's own habits, desperately trying to impose order on fragmented and flawed mind.  Like Russian dolls, stories and paintings and quotes nest themselves into the narrative in a way that is as enthralling as it is inscrutable. 

Kiernan creates a new definition for “haunting”, while at the same time infecting me with the same.  With so much discussion of different types of art (short stories, paintings, sculpture, content...), THE DROWNING GIRL delivers it’s own message with a slight of the hand that is devastating.  What part of this book implanted this haunted feeling?  What page, what paragraph, has left me so shaken?  Equal parts INFINITE JEST and ghost story, though THE DROWNING GIRL was not a restful read, nor the type of entertainment I normally look for in fantasy, it is most certainly unforgettable. (See Early 5bat! Review: The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R....) 

dalnewt

Here' some new covers.

Andrew's upcoming Gunmetal Magic  (release date 7/31)

Allyson James 4th Stormwalker novel (coming sometime in Spring 2012). 

shadow walker cover

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

So may great new releases coming out!!!   Very exciting!!!  :-D

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Well...I missed this one!  Love this series!  :-)

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

[ Edited ]

Vicki Pettersson just posted the full cover of her new upcoming book- front and back- with blurbs! I'm so excited! (Sorry, I couldn't get it any bigger...)

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
paulgoatallen

ThirstyFlea wrote:

Vicki Pettersson just posted the full cover of her new upcoming book- front and back- with blurbs! I'm so excited! (Sorry, I couldn't get it any bigger...)

This one is a "must read" for paranormal fantasy fans.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dhaupt

paulgoatallen wrote:

ThirstyFlea wrote:

Those of you who read this will never look at angels, heaven and death the same way ever again. It was very unique in this very full urban fantasy/paranormal genre.

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

ThirstyFlea wrote:

Those of you who read this will never look at angels, heaven and death the same way ever again. It was very unique in this very full urban fantasy/paranormal genre.

Deb- are you lucky enough to received an advance copy of this?!? I am SO excited about this one!

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
dhaupt

ThirstyFlea wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

ThirstyFlea wrote:

Deb- are you lucky enough to received an advance copy of this?!? I am SO excited about this one!

I was lucky enough, I reviewed this for LibraryJournal a few months ago and was just blown away with the plot and the characters

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

Here' some new covers.

Andrew's upcoming Gunmetal Magic  (release date 7/31)

Allyson James 4th Stormwalker novel (coming sometime in Spring 2012). 

shadow walker cover

Actually Nightwalker is an e-book...I was wondering why I could not find it.  Still not able to get it on my Kindle though...  :-(

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Looks like there are a couple more...grabbed these ones yesteday:

And a new series by Joey W. Hill...sounds like a good one!

And I am SOOOO behind on this series!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Wow, where is everyone lately??  LOL

Found a few more for this month:

April 3 - Today!!

And April 24, the sequel to Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell):

Anybody have others for April??

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

It is spooky quiet around here lately, isn't it?!?

This is all I have for April on my new releases list:

April 3:

Magic without Mercy (Allie Beckstrom Series #8)  

April 10: Bound to Me  (Dark Days short story)

April 17: Bewitched, Blooded and Bewildered  

Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

My April list is oh so long.....only 3 books on it.

April 3 - 

Savage Awakening (Alpha Pack Series #2)  

April 24 - 

Under a Vampire Moon (Argeneau Vampire Series #16)  

On the Prowl