Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Urban Fantasy With Male Leads?

[ Edited ]

I read my share of female lead Urban Fantasy (Sookie, Mercy, Anita, etc) but I am ready for a change. I'm looking for more Urban Fantasy with male leads,  I'm currently hooked on Simon Green's Nightside series and Rob Thurman's Cal and Niko books.   I've done a lot of searching and I can't seem to find many more really stand out series that feature a male lead rather than female.

I've already read Wen Spencer's Alien Taste series,  Jim Butcher,  and tried a few more stand alones but didn't think they were hitting on much.  Tried Mark Del Franco and Anton Strout but found the first books disappointing.

Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen

Re: Urban Fantasy With Male Leads?

Have you read these?  They're *so* funny. 

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats (Felix Gomez Series #1)  

~Suzi

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

[ Edited ]

My hubby prefers reading books with a male POV too.  Here are some of the books he enjoys:

The Sandman Slim series is F-ing AMAZING.  A must read if there ever was one.

Sandman Slim 

Kill the Dead   

Another series is:

Nekropolis  

or how about:

Devil You Know  

Or check out one of our featured authors for this month:

Blood Blade (Skinners Series #1)   

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Thank you all, I appreciate it!   I do happen to have the Sandman Slim already,  I think it was a free Nook book at one point?  I didn't realize it was Urban Fantasy,   I'll have to dive in!

New User
bcardoo79

I really liked Sonya Bateman's Master of None (main character Gavyn Donatti.)  I haven't read Master and Apprentice yet, and I don't know how many books are planned, but I hope there are lots more.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

mykoffee wrote:

I read my share of female lead Urban Fantasy (Sookie, Mercy, Anita, etc) but I am ready for a change. I'm looking for more Urban Fantasy with male leads,  I'm currently hooked on Simon Green's Nightside series and Rob Thurman's Cal and Niko books.   I've done a lot of searching and I can't seem to find many more really stand out series that feature a male lead rather than female.

I've already read Wen Spencer's Alien Taste series,  Jim Butcher,  and tried a few more stand alones but didn't think they were hitting on much.  Tried Mark Del Franco and Anton Strout but found the first books disappointing.

Thanks!

Here's some additional UFs (not mentioned previously) that you might be Interested in:

One of the best male oriented series ever written starts with

Already Dead (Joe Pitt Series #1).

There's a wonderful 'tough-guy' vampire, superb action, spot-on dialogue, atmospheric Manhattan/NY settings and intriguing characters!

One of the well-established series featuring a male protagonist that I've always enjoyed is  

The Vampire Files. It relates the story of a newspaperman turned vampire in Chicago's roaring 20s. It's really entertaining, and the male protagonist is very sympathetic and smart. 

Another male protagonist series begins with 

Blood Vice. It's basically a mafia tale with a vampire hit man protagonist who gets involved with a crime family. It's fast paced with lots of action. The second book in the series will be released in e-book form 7/12 and is entitled Ghost Soldiers.

In addition, you may really enjoy the outrageous, twisted and entertaining Void City seres that starts with

Staked. The book is written in the first person and basically switches off among the main characters (some male and some female), who include a lascivious and virtually indestructible male vampire. The series is all about unpredictable twists, unrepentant sex and (often gory) action. The male vampire protagonist is basically a beast with no regrets!

Since you like Green's Nightside series you may like Green's Secret Histories series that starts with

The Man with the Golden Torc (Secret History Series #1). I read and like this series myself. It features Eddie Drood, a witty guy who comes from a family of Druids charged with protecting the world from things that go bump in the night. The series is really smart and funny with a 007 touch!

I also really like the gritty (often witty) Felix Gomez series. The first book is

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats (Felix Gomez Series #1).

This series features a sympathetic but hard-edged vampire investigator who's just trying to make a living. This is a great series-very male!

I just bought

Moon Over Soho

and

Midnight Riot . Both books received excellent reviews! 

Also, if you're into really excellent classic vampire fiction check out:

Twilight Forever Rising.

It's written from the third-person and basically follows the experiences of male vampires. 

Another excellent choice is

Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #2)  

It's written from a young man's perspective and delivers a wonderful,

non-stop sci-fi/zombie thriller.

Note, Deadline follows Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #1) which is written from a female POV.

Note, there's nothing feminine about Feed.

It's a taut thriller with occasional humor, an excellent mystery/conspiracy and engaging main 'blogger' characters including the young male lead in the second book. 

You also might like 

The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1)

It has both male and female leads, and is written in the third-person.

I loved the pulp action, haunting imagery and story in this book.  

Author
JenniferHarlow
0 Kudos

I never thought about it before, but compared to the urban fantasy/paranormal books for women those with a male protagonist are simply a drop in the bucket, with the Jim Butcher books being at the forefront. It's very odd. Is it a publishing thing where the publishers think men won't read about vampires et. al. or do the majority of men really not like these preternatural elements in books (present company excluded)? They read the majority of comic books, isn't that sort of the same thing? Just wondering.

Author of Mind Over Monsters
http://www.jenniferharlowbooks.com
A Machete is a Girl's Best Friend
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

JenniferHarlow wrote:

I never thought about it before, but compared to the urban fantasy/paranormal books for women those with a male protagonist are simply a drop in the bucket, with the Jim Butcher books being at the forefront. It's very odd. Is it a publishing thing where the publishers think men won't read about vampires et. al. or do the majority of men really not like these preternatural elements in books (present company excluded)? They read the majority of comic books, isn't that sort of the same thing? Just wondering.

I think Buffy started this wave of paranormal kick-butt female characters and it just took off.  I hear (from Rob Thurman) that the books with male leads just don't get as much attention and it's a case of publishers seeing what's a hit (LKH,  Sookie, etc) and then duplicating it.     I do think you may be right about the male readers though not necessarily being into that sort of thing,  they seem to go for more sci-fi/fantasy stuff.     I wonder if they also shy away from female authors.

I think I've maxed out on the female leads for a while, though I'll continue to follow the series I've started.    I'm ready for more kick-butt male action,  I have to say as a female reader they can be quite a pleasure to read!  :smileywink:

You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the recs!  I don't think I would have found these on my own.

Author
JayeWells

Kevin Hearne is a new UF author who has two books out in his Iron Druids series about a, you guessed it, druid named Atticus O'Sullivan--HOUNDED and HEXED. I've read Hounded and it's got great world building, a very cool main character and it's also very funny. Definitely check those out. Here's Kevin's site, too. 

www.jayewells.com
Frequent Contributor
hymie
0 Kudos

John Levitt's Dog Days series:

Dog Days 

New Tricks 

Unleashed 

Play Dead     

Reader
Enjee
0 Kudos

I loved the debut of author Kevin Hearne.  His books about a 2100 year old druid trying to live peacefully in Arizona got me hooked with the first in the series "Hounded". The next two "Hexed" and "Hammered" are also out this summer, and he got picked up for 3 more books in the sereis due out in 2012.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

I have that first Dog Days novel...the series sounds really good.  There are also a lot of good recommendations as well.  One I want to add, but it's only 3 books and so far there are only 2 out, is The Strain trilogy.  First two books were awesome!  Its a different taken on sort of vampire-like creatures, infecting the planet and a small group of people who are trying to stop it.  The main character is a guy who works for the CDC.

I'm just wondering though, how many of Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden Files novels have you read?  They are really good and just get better and better...the last one, Changes, was quite a shocker...I'm looking forward to the next one out in July.  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

I have that first Dog Days novel...the series sounds really good.  There are also a lot of good recommendations as well.  One I want to add, but it's only 3 books and so far there are only 2 out, is The Strain trilogy.  First two books were awesome!  Its a different taken on sort of vampire-like creatures, infecting the planet and a small group of people who are trying to stop it.  The main character is a guy who works for the CDC.

I'm just wondering though, how many of Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden Files novels have you read?  They are really good and just get better and better...the last one, Changes, was quite a shocker...I'm looking forward to the next one out in July.  :-)

Regarding the Dog Days novels, is the lead hero kick-ass?  I seem to recall trying to the first but I thought he was a little wimpy so I didn't continue on.

As for Jim Butcher, I've read a few but didn't get hooked,  everyone loves the series so much I keep meaning to go back and try again.   I'll look into the strain books, thanks for the tip!

I'm currently reading Sandman Slim.   :smileyhappy: