Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Vampire: The Requiem vs. The Masquerade

[ Edited ]
I am going to start a new thread about this since the topic came up in one of the LKH discussions. I feel it is better represented by its own thread.

This is to discuss White Wolf's two "Vampire" RPG's - the old one, "Masquerade," and the new one, "Requiem." "Requiem" was a complete reboot of the original game, changing the core setting and mythology. Opinion is divided as to which is better - I can't vouch for the mechanics because I no longer game, but setting-wise, "Requiem" is much more suited to my tastes.

Here is a copy of the post that I am going to use to kickstart it...

I liked the early, early "Masquerade." Back when it was a vampire game for vampire fans. Then it switched gears and turned into a vampire game for people who didn't read vampire fiction, but thought "Highlander" was really cool. These people would talk about how much they hated Anne Rice, but couldn't offer alternative vampire fiction to read.

"Requiem" was a fresh reboot, because I think half of that baby needed to be thrown out anyway. Scaling things back to five clans was a start (because those five ably represent the common archetypes you find in vampire pop culture). Overhauling the clan concepts was even better. Ventrue are a lot cooler, and the Daeva make a lot more sense than the Toreador.

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 06-03-2008 08:07 PM
Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Vampire: The Requiem vs. The Masquerade

Derek:
Interesting question but I'm out of my element here – I'll just lurk in the shadows and read what you guys have to say about this...
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Well I see the size down as a sale pitch more than anything.
Agreed Masquerade grew into an overfeed monster. But all RPG systems due this after a few years. Then the publishers pare them down, just to have them grow again. See D&D, Rifts, Warhammer, ect..

Too many clans wasn't the problem with Masquerade anyway. Only so long can you drive a plot up to Armageddon.

The books spun off Masquerade weren't all bad, just far to many spun out for there not to be some trash.

Masquerade did have 2 great Video Games.

The card game kinda blowed though, anybody want buy my old cards?(chuckle)
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
Well I see the size down as a sale pitch more than anything.

I think that probably was part of why they did it. But even while the old game was winding down, the books featured more and more snarky comments about "Highlander-style" power-fantasies and other elements that had been grafted onto the setting. I think there were a lot of reasons why - I have no doubt that money was a major component, but I think there was a desire on the part of some of the writers to have a vampire game that appealed to fans of vampire literature.
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

I love the original Masquerade.   In the beginning there was just vampires; power struggles, turf wars,  clans disagreements, and crazy Princes!    The occassional werewolf was ok, but they were The Enemy and I never got used to working alongside them as a team.  Well,  I'm a natural Malkavian...so I can be a team all by myself ..:smileytongue:.. but I can get along if I am bribed with lots of weapons.    When The World of Darkness came up with Wraiths and Demons and Kuei-jin, not to mention putting up with Mages,  I got kinda cranky!   The idea behind Requiem was interesting, but suggesting that all former books be destroyed went way too far!   I have started in a couple games that were supposed to be straight Requiem era, but they all went down the abyss into the WoD.   I never even bothered to buy the Requiem book, cause it just wasn't necessary.   I didn't play for awhile...got bored.  Then a DM friend handed me a Dhampir book and bribed the proud Leo in me with " I don't think anyone else could do this justice with the group we have now."  :smileysurprised:   Unfortunately, my work schedule and his car accident have really interfered with the character development.  My son really likes the Eastern vampires; he found a used copy of the Eastern Shapeshifters book that includes Kitsune.  So even though I like the original best, I am dragged in other directions.  Perhaps I would enjoy a straight Requiem game if I actually played one, but it hasn't happened in my local gameshop.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I think that probably was part of why they did it. But even while the old game was winding down, the books featured more and more snarky comments about "Highlander-style" power-fantasies and other elements that had been grafted onto the setting. I think there were a lot of reasons why - I have no doubt that money was a major component, but I think there was a desire on the part of some of the writers to have a vampire game that appealed to fans of vampire literature.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I had a conversation with some hard core gaming friends. We have all come to the conclusion that you must have had a terrible game master or that you mostly read the books only.
What filtered down to the average Masquerade consumer was relatively free of the aspects you disliked.
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
I had a conversation with some hard core gaming friends. We have all come to the conclusion that you must have had a terrible game master or that you mostly read the books only.
What filtered down to the average Masquerade consumer was relatively free of the aspects you disliked.

That could be part of it, but I do think the Requiem world is better organized. Only having five clans was a great start. Granted, they later exploded into a lot of bloodlines, but having five root clans is a lot more plausible than thirteen. I also like the broader clan archetypes. Requiem seems more like a vampire game for people who like vampire fiction - not unlike the very early Masquerade books.
Derek Tatum
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

As a quick aside, the "Ventrue: Lords Over The Damned" book is quite good. I don't know how much use it has as a game supplement, but as a piece of immersive fiction it is quite cool.
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Thanks for the Ventrue info.  My gaming store has an entire shelf of Masquerade and WoD novels.  I had been reading them during game droughts, but not much since the Paranormal boon in books.