Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
KeithMelton

Re: Welcome to Guilty Pleasures: The Paranormal Pub – Off-Topic Chat Served Up Daily

dalnewt wrote:

Lovecraft is famously know to have said something like--'The strongest emotion is fear and the strongest fear is fear of the unknown.' Once described an entity (and any entity) looses the ability to instill within the reader/viewer the primal terror of the unknown. IMO, authors wanting to create scary monsters should look back at Lovecraft's entities. Cthulhu's been kind of overdone, but  Yog-Sothoth is really mysterious.

@dalnewt

Yog-Sothoth is certainly mysterious, but those in the know pay appropriate homage to Azathoth. Also, if you need something done on the down low, Azathoth can hook you up with Nyarlathotep, who really gets things accomplished at a reasonable price.

A little known fact about Azathoth: he's a lover of music. "Vile drums" and "accursed flutes" are particular favorites. :smileyhappy:

Keith Melton
http://www.keithmelton.net
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

Re: Welcome to Guilty Pleasures: The Paranormal Pub – Off-Topic Chat Served Up Daily

KeithMelton wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

Lovecraft is famously know to have said something like--'The strongest emotion is fear and the strongest fear is fear of the unknown.' Once described an entity (and any entity) looses the ability to instill within the reader/viewer the primal terror of the unknown. IMO, authors wanting to create scary monsters should look back at Lovecraft's entities. Cthulhu's been kind of overdone, but  Yog-Sothoth is really mysterious.

@dalnewt

Yog-Sothoth is certainly mysterious, but those in the know pay appropriate homage to Azathoth. Also, if you need something done on the down low, Azathoth can hook you up with Nyarlathotep, who really gets things accomplished at a reasonable price.

A little known fact about Azathoth: he's a lover of music. "Vile drums" and "accursed flutes" are particular favorites. :smileyhappy:

Azathoth is another excellent choice!

IMO, there's two avenues for creating a really scary monster: 1) Lovecraftian-create something really mysterious, unknowable, indifferent to humans and preferably hungry; or, 2) use or create something familiar with a hidden, monstrous and alien nature.

Distinguished Correspondent
KeithMelton

dalnewt wrote:

KeithMelton wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

@dalnewt

Azathoth is another excellent choice!

IMO, there's two avenues for creating a really scary monster: 1) Lovecraftian-create something really mysterious, unknowable, indifferent to humans and preferably hungry; or, 2) use or create something familiar with a hidden, monstrous and alien nature.

or 3) cross a giant bat with an ape and color it purple.

You forgot that one, but I got your back. ^_^

Keith Melton
http://www.keithmelton.net
paulgoatallen

kimba88 wrote:

line up some shots bar keep. It's Friday night and Fringe was awesome.

Paul, the free Friday nook book was Soft Apocalypse. Jeremy used your review on the book.

It quotes you as saying :

. In fact, Allen closes his review with an emphatic promise: “Bottom line: If Soft Apocalypse isn’t nominated for a Hugo or Nebula Award, I will eat the entire book page by page…”

so, of course I Downloaded it ....Did it win? or did you eat the book ???

Kimba:

We'll have to wait until next year to see if I'm right or if I should start eating...

On a tangential note, it was interesting to see the "haters" come out for this free download. It's amazing to me how so many people can have a gripe about something that is FREE. Just so bizarre to me to read those posts...

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Paul, the free Friday nook book was Soft Apocalypse. Jeremy used your review on the book.

. In fact, Allen closes his review with an emphatic promise: “Bottom line: If Soft Apocalypse isn’t nominated for a Hugo or Nebula Award, I will eat the entire book page by page…”

Kimba:

We'll have to wait until next year to see if I'm right or if I should start eating...

On a tangential note, it was interesting to see the "haters" come out for this free download. It's amazing to me how so many people can have a gripe about something that is FREE. Just so bizarre to me to read those posts...

Paul

wow, so this is a fairly new book then? I didn't check release date..just saw Paul's name and downloaded it.

Paul, the haters are everywhere..i am amazed week after week. If you don't like the book or genre don't download it! It's free for goodness sakes! I think these people need a couple of shots or a good roll in the hay..:smileyvery-happy:

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

kimba88 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Kimba:

Paul

wow, so this is a fairly new book then? I didn't check release date..just saw Paul's name and downloaded it.

Paul, the haters are everywhere..i am amazed week after week. If you don't like the book or genre don't download it! It's free for goodness sakes! I think these people need a couple of shots or a good roll in the hay..:smileyvery-happy:

I just picked up Soft Apocalypse at the B&N store last week. I checked it out on the internet before I left--wanted to see if it was available at my local B&N. (Most paperbacks and some soft backs are cheaper for me if I buy them with my member discount at the store.) Of course I'd seen Paul's earlier review, that's why I noticed the book in the first place. Anyway, the book was rated by 5-6 people at either 5 or 41/2 stars. One day after being selected for Free Friday, the book rating had dropped to 2 1/2 stars. And, the ungrateful e-book readers have wised up when it comes to being spiteful. Instead of writing a review complaining of the book as a Free Friday selection, they just rate the book one or two stars. Characterizing these e-book readers as complete a$$h__les is not overstating the matter! B&N should scrutinize all the ratings/reviews of every Free Fridays book selection. If there's an appreciable drop after only one day, then those ratings should be thrown out!

P.S. I hope this book wins a Nebula! I'll be posting once I get around to reading it.

P.P.S. B&N just isn't handling the reader ratings/reviews of the Free Fridays selections with any kind of wisdom.

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme
0 Kudos

What a great day to be an American!!!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Bibliophile
Melhay

Okay, VermontCozy tricked me into stopping by the Pub, by telling me about a few bartenders here.  That I just had to stop by and try out the drinks.  I have to say they look mighty delicious!  Hey Paul I think I might have to try one of they mighty drinks you have. :smileywink:  With the weather being the way it is, one day cold next nice, I want to keep thinking summer.  So if you could I would love to have a Bahama Mama instead of my usual shot and a beer.  If that is okay for tonight.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

Okay, VermontCozy tricked me into stopping by the Pub, by telling me about a few bartenders here.  That I just had to stop by and try out the drinks.  I have to say they look mighty delicious!  Hey Paul I think I might have to try one of they mighty drinks you have. :smileywink:  With the weather being the way it is, one day cold next nice, I want to keep thinking summer.  So if you could I would love to have a Bahama Mama instead of my usual shot and a beer.  If that is okay for tonight.

Welcome! First off we at Guilty Pleasures need to know if you want drinks and/or entertainment and/or private entertainment.:smileywink: All the help can multitask and are experts at serving your every desire!:smileyhappy: Here are a few choices:

Desire Untamed (Feral Warriors Series #1) (This guy will treat you like a queen! Look! He's already kneeling before you!:smileysurprised:)

Masked Submission(This guy's a bit a freak, with the mask and all, but he also bows before you!:smileytongue:)

Then there's our all round shy but oh so willing guy: 

Handyman!:smileyvery-happy:

And, if you want a little more visual interest there are always Guilty Pleasure's tattooed help. PGA is sorta an expert when it comes to tatooed pecs, (see Attack of the Man Nipple: This Spring’s Paranormal...

by paulgoatallen in Unabashedly Bookish: The BN Community Blog); but, please consider my humble 'inked' picks:

Hunger Untamed (Feral Warriors Series #5)  and 

Vampire Dragon (Works Like Magick Series #3).

Looking for something different? Well, just describe the guy you're after! We'll search high and low for him!:smileyhappy::smileytongue:  

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Mel..Isn't dainwet Helpful?  :  ) Just stop by anytime ,its your "Pub" we all own a piece...Hope  you "Enjoyed" yourself....its time for coffee..Later Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I will have one of those Bahama Mama's with Lunch...not too strong....lol

Melhay wrote:

pen21
0 Kudos

Me too (or three) of those bahama mamas.

Welcome Melhay!

Vermontcozy wrote:

I will have one of those Bahama Mama's with Lunch...not too strong....lol

Melhay wrote:

Bibliophile
Melhay

dalnewt wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Welcome! First off we at Guilty Pleasures need to know if you want drinks and/or entertainment and/or private entertainment.:smileywink: All the help can multitask and are experts at serving your every desire!:smileyhappy: Here are a few choices:

Desire Untamed (Feral Warriors Series #1) (This guy will treat you like a queen! Look! He's already kneeling before you!:smileysurprised:)

Masked Submission(This guy's a bit a freak, with the mask and all, but he also bows before you!:smileytongue:)

Then there's our all round shy but oh so willing guy: 

Handyman!:smileyvery-happy:

And, if you want a little more visual interest there are always Guilty Pleasure's tattooed help. PGA is sorta an expert when it comes to tatooed pecs, (see Attack of the Man Nipple: This Spring’s Paranormal...

by paulgoatallen in Unabashedly Bookish: The BN Community Blog); but, please consider my humble 'inked' picks:

Hunger Untamed (Feral Warriors Series #5)  and 

Vampire Dragon (Works Like Magick Series #3).

Looking for something different? Well, just describe the guy you're after! We'll search high and low for him!:smileyhappy::smileytongue:  

Helpful!?! Dalnewt, you just made my picking one more difficult! lol. I was going to mention that VermontCozy got me in here by mentioning that the bartender there (from previous page) DID lose his pants.  And I thought that was and attraction to get me in the door.  But geez... You all are making it hard to pick just one!

But, as much as Desire Untamed and the Handyman sound entertaining, I think I'll go for the tattooed corner.  And I think there is one over there with the long hair too....

I'll chat with you all later.... :smileywink: ta ta...

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

**trying to casually walk through the crowd across room to corner with long haired tattoed men.**

Oh.  Hello VermontCozy & Pen21!  I do hope you love the Bahama Mama's. :smileywink: They are fun summery drinks.  And so glad you talked me into coming here VermontCozy!  This is a lovely little Pub to visit.  I'm on my way to that corner over there to meet some new people. :smileywink:  I'll be back over later to chat... *gaze diverted back to the corner*

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

So glad you Joined..Since we are all Card Holders..Its Nice and Private..Well not that Private..BTW Miss Mel..Tattoo Man is a good Choice..He has The Best Harleys I have ever seen  : )..This weekend he will bring some Friends....andThey Requested the Performers..................Just Look for those Amazing Tour Buses..and have  Fun...pen and dainwet have Harleys too and Kimba is thinking about it.Sarah and Sci/Fi Canuck..Phylliss are on the fence..Tess not sure???Add your name if I missed it PLZ.......More coffee..Then .Will see you all Later...

Revolution

Sweet Home Alabama: The Country Music Tribute To Lynyrd Skynyrd

Bibliophile
Melhay

Vermontcozy wrote:

So glad you Joined..Since we are all Card Holders..Its Nice and Private..Well not that Private..BTW Miss Mel..Tattoo Man is a good Choice..He has The Best Harleys I have ever seen  : )..This weekend he will bring some Friends....andThey Requested the Performers..................Just Look for those Amazing Tour Buses..and have  Fun...pen and dainwet have Harleys too and Kimba is thinking about it.Sarah and Sci/Fi Canuck..Phylliss are on the fence..Tess not sure???Add your name if I missed it PLZ.......More coffee..Then .Will see you all Later...

Revolution

Oooo, sounds like fun! Let me pull out my leather chaps to where on the bike rides.  It's wonderful to have the wind in my hair... 

And the band selection is lovely.  I loved Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Can we please add

Cheap Trick [1977] 

Farewell to Kings  

Shake Your Money Maker [Bonus Tracks]  

Then if anyone likes a little heavier music we could have...

Dirt 

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

I'm traditional! Give me some Stones, a little 'Motown,' a lot of Aretha. Hey, anything with a really thumping base. We need a little 'bump and grind' here folks. After-all, the guys have to 'perform' to sumthin. 

P.S. Probably shouldn't admit this but for some reason I always liked Wild Cherry's Play That Funky Music. As I said before, give me that thumping beat and low-down base.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dainewt..Now I have "Play That Funky Music" in my head...maybe we could get one of our Bands to perform it..Over the weekend...Should be a Huge Crowd....

dalnewt wrote:

I'm traditional! Give me some Stones, a little 'Motown,' a lot of Aretha. Hey, anything with a really thumping base. We need a little 'bump and grind' here folks. After-all, the guys have to 'perform' to sumthin. 

P.S. Probably shouldn't admit this but for some reason I always liked Wild Cherry's Play That Funky Music. As I said before, give me that thumping beat and low-down base.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

All Great Selections Mel.  .Now where did I put my Chaps?...Oh no..left them at The Harley Rally....A Wild Ride!!!  See you all for Coffee and Breakfast...Susan....

Melhay wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Revolution

Oooo, sounds like fun! Let me pull out my leather chaps to where on the bike rides.  It's wonderful to have the wind in my hair... 

And the band selection is lovely.  I loved Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Can we please add

Cheap Trick [1977] 

Farewell to Kings  

Shake Your Money Maker [Bonus Tracks]  

Then if anyone likes a little heavier music we could have...

Dirt 

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Damn. I can't use my regular computer. I'm on the dreaded laptop. For some reason, my trusty Apple distorts all the bookclubs despite my use of two different browsers--navigator and whatever AOL uses currently. I wonder if anyone else is having this problem?

P. S. If this keeps up I'll have to commander the laptop, much to my husband's chagrin.:smileyhappy: