Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to Guilty Pleasures: The Paranormal Pub – Off-Topic Chat Served Up Daily

[ Edited ]

Looks like summer has finally arrived around here, and it's about time. But I would sure appreciate a smoother transition. There's never any nice spring weather in the mid-west. Goes from the 50s to the humid 80s and above. Where the heck are the comfortable 70s?

You do know what summer means for us pub members, don't you? It means that every GP member must decide what to drink during summer!:smileytongue: My preferences are tequila and, (I'm very british in my choice here) gin.:smileyhappy: Personally, I don't drink rum other than when I'm on some sort of island vacation. (IMO, rum rots your teeth. I knew a guy who was a big rum drinker. He had bad teeth and always smelled like sour sugar. I guess I prefer liver damage to dental imperfection and body odor.:smileyvery-happy:)

P.S. Hey Paul,

Do you know when (of if) another Hunters Kiss novel will ever come out? I looked on Liu's web site (she' really good looking by the way) and couldn't find any scheduled for this year. Also, do you have any knowledge about when a new Downside Ghosts by Kane will be released? Just wondering because I really enjoy both those series.

Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS

Re: Welcome to Guilty Pleasures: The Paranormal Pub – Off-Topic Chat Served Up Daily

dalnewt wrote:
"Also, do you have any knowledge about when a new Downside Ghosts by Kane will be released?"

According to Stacia Kane's blog, Book 4 in the Downside Series, titled SACRIFICIAL MAGIC, is due out on March 27, 2012. So long to wait!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

MADIS wrote:

dalnewt wrote:
"Also, do you have any knowledge about when a new Downside Ghosts by Kane will be released?"

According to Stacia Kane's blog, Book 4 in the Downside Series, titled SACRIFICIAL MAGIC, is due out on March 27, 2012. So long to wait!

Yikes! I guess we were spoiled when the first three were released in three months last summer. (God, I loved that...)

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

MADIS wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

Yikes! I guess we were spoiled when the first three were released in three months last summer. (God, I loved that...)

Paul

Crap that's a long time.:smileysad: Oh well, at least we know that there is going to be a continuation.

Does anybody know about Liu's Hunters Kiss series? I really love it, and her web site doesn't mention any new installment. 

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Happy Friday Everyone..its the weekend ..wahoo! woot! woot!  I am currently reading The Book of Deacon.

It reminds me of The Name of the Wind. It's 900 pages..eek gads, but it reads smoothly and of course its a trilogy.

Pour yourself a drink and somebody tell me who these idiots are that are using the review this book to preach about prices, and dislikes of books they haven't even read..who are these people and can we delete them?? Some really great books are losing their 4 and 5 star ratings because of these morons.I need a shot of patron (gulp, ahhh..better) I have reported some of them..but the guys behind the scenes..Apparently don't object..cause they are still there. It's sad, at least the people on goodreads actually read the books, eBooks etc and then rate them honestly. OK, another shot please, I have ranted enough..have a great weekend ya all :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

kimba88 wrote:

Happy Friday Everyone..its the weekend ..wahoo! woot! woot!  I am currently reading The Book of Deacon.

It reminds me of The Name of the Wind. It's 900 pages..eek gads, but it reads smoothly and of course its a trilogy.

Pour yourself a drink and somebody tell me who these idiots are that are using the review this book to preach about prices, and dislikes of books they haven't even read..who are these people and can we delete them?? Some really great books are losing their 4 and 5 star ratings because of these morons.I need a shot of patron (gulp, ahhh..better) I have reported some of them..but the guys behind the scenes..Apparently don't object..cause they are still there. It's sad, at least the people on goodreads actually read the books, eBooks etc and then rate them honestly. OK, another shot please, I have ranted enough..have a great weekend ya all :smileyhappy:

I'll buy you another shot for your rant because I completely agree with you about bad reviews due to e-book pricing.   I understand people being mad at some of the high prices on the e-books, but those complaints do not belong under the books reviews.  Come on B & N, lets clean up your review sections.  You owe it to the authors and your customers to keep the reviews and ratings of the books you are selling legitimate and relevant to said book.

Ahhh heck, just leave the bottle of Patron here.  We'll pour our own shots for awhile and keep ranting.

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

:smileyvery-happy::smileytongue::smileyvery-happy:I LOOOVE the title of this book!:smileyvery-happy::smileytongue::smileyvery-happy:

Go the F_ck to Sleep. OK, let's have that title again--Go the F_uck to Sleep. Note, the bookclubs 'bleeped' out the title, and I had to hand type in F_ck, but, if you click on the book, you will see the F word in its full glory.

It's currently ranked as #1 on the bestseller list.:smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

dalnewt wrote:

:smileyvery-happy::smileytongue::smileyvery-happy:I LOOOVE the title of this book!:smileyvery-happy::smileytongue::smileyvery-happy:

Go the F_ck to Sleep. OK, let's have that title again--Go the F_uck to Sleep. Note, the bookclubs 'bleeped' out the title, and I had to hand type in F_ck, but, if you click on the book, you will see the F word in its full glory.

It's currently ranked as #1 on the bestseller list.:smileyhappy:

As a parent of 3.. i find this so funny..i felt that way many a nights when mine were toddlers!!

dalnewt and Paul..if you haven't done so please read The Book of Deacon, its free for the nook, and the next 2 in the series are under 5.00. This is a fantastic fantasy series, that kind of reminds me of The Name of the Wind, The hobbit..etc.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I wonder how long it will be until B&N blanks out the the F_ck in the title of

Go the F ck to Sleep:smileyhappy:

It's only a matter of time!:smileywink:

Look now (or look at the B&N main book pages)!

It's not everyday you get a gander at the F word being displayed on a major, mainstream website.:smileyvery-happy: 

dhaupt

dalnewt wrote:

It's not everyday you get a gander at the F word being displayed on a major, mainstream website.:smileyvery-happy: 

Love the premise and the title :smileyhappy:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

That's my wife's favorite book!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

That's my wife's favorite book!

Paul

Well, censorship strikes again, and it has no respect for a book's title. For a short while there you could see the F word as part of this book's title displayed on the B&N bestselling list (it was #1 over the weekend, now it's #2), as well as the B&N main book pages.

Sadly, the book's title has now been reduced to 

Go the F**k to Sleep. I don't believe in censoring the words utilized in the title or narrative of a book. Apparently, B&N doesn't agree.:smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

I just rented Let Me In, the american remake of Let the right one in.  My daughter sat to watch it with me, after hearing me rant about LTROI as my fav movie of a couple years ago. 

I was embarressed.  It told a simular story but my goodness, it dragged.  What ever the first movie did right, it sure missed the boat on the remake. 

There's my rant for the day!!  Give me some red bull.  Today is my monday.  (I work tues-Sat)

Dude, Where's my book!
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

lilithesque wrote:

I just rented Let Me In, the american remake of Let the right one in.  My daughter sat to watch it with me, after hearing me rant about LTROI as my fav movie of a couple years ago. 

I was embarressed.  It told a simular story but my goodness, it dragged.  What ever the first movie did right, it sure missed the boat on the remake. 

There's my rant for the day!!  Give me some red bull.  Today is my monday.  (I work tues-Sat)

My daughter and I stumbled onto the original movie a long time ago, I think on Movie Central...she loved it so much she bought the book.  I've hear the re-make wasn't good...they never usually are.  :-(

As for me, it's been rainy here...will be for the next few days, so I'll need a couple of my Ceasar's served up pronto!!  :-D

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
dalnewt

I mentioned this newly released movie in the Cantina Bar thread of the F&SF board. Super 8, released June 10  (produced by Speilberg) looks really good. At my request, Paul copied the movie trailer onto the Cantina thread. 

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Super 8, Now that is on my list of must see!!!!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Shots of Patron for all my friends..silver please :smileyvery-happy:  (gulp, ahhh) yum

Did anyone watch the premire of Falling Skies??

We watched  and my family liked it...looks like we've got something to watch this summer.

I miss supernatural, vamp diaries, fringe, dr. who etc. looking forward to warehouse 13, weeds and Dexter this summer..to name a few.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Has anybody read 

Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family Book Series #1)?

Have you heard anything about it Paul? It's apparently de la Cruz's first 'adult' book.

I've copied below the editors synopsis and reviews/recommendations. I think I'm going to eventually read this book.   

"A sexy, magical romp, sure to bring de la Cruz a legion of new fans." --Kelley Armstrong, New York Times bestselling author of The Otherworld series

From the author of the highly addictive and bestselling Blue Bloods series, with almost 3 million copies sold, comes a new novel, Melissa de la Cruz's first for adults, featuring a family of formidable and beguiling witches.

The three Beauchamp women--Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid--live in North Hampton, out on the tip of Long Island. Their beautiful, mist-shrouded town seems almost stuck in time, and all three women lead seemingly quiet, uneventful existences. But they are harboring a mighty secret--they are powerful witches banned from using their magic. Joanna can resurrect people from the dead and heal the most serious of injuries. Ingrid, her bookish daughter, has the ability to predict the future and weave knots that can solve anything from infertility to infidelity. And finally, there's Freya, the wild child, who has a charm or a potion that can cure most any heartache.

For centuries, all three women have been forced to suppress their abilities. But then Freya, who is about to get married to the wealthy and mysterious Bran Gardiner, finds that her increasingly complicated romantic life makes it more difficult than ever to hide her secret. Soon Ingrid and Joanna confront similar dilemmas, and the Beauchamp women realize they can no longer conceal their true selves. They unearth their wands from the attic, dust off their broomsticks, and begin casting spells on the townspeople. It all seems like a bit of good-natured, innocent magic, but then mysterious, violent attacks begin to plague the town. When a young girl disappears over the Fourth of July weekend, they realize it's time to uncover who and what dark forces are working against them.

With a brand-new cast of characters, a fascinating and fresh world to discover, and a few surprise appearances from some of the Blue Blood fan favorites, this is a page-turning, deliciously fun, magical summer read fraught with love affairs, witchcraft, and an unforgettable battle between good and evil.

Editorial Reviews

Publishers Weekly

De la Cruz leaves Manhattan and her popular YA Blue Bloods series to start fresh on Long Island. Freya Beauchamp, a 19-year-old bartender engaged to a Hamptons society beau but in love with his brother; her sister, Ingrid, a single librarian; and their mother, Joanna Beauchamp, are all witches living together in relative harmony, as they have for several centuries. They have significant powers—raising the dead, flying—all of which they have been forbidden to use by the White Council after a debacle in 17th-century Massachusetts. As compensation they have gained immortality, but as the story opens, the restrictions placed on them have begun to fray, and they are all "leaking" magic, prompting them to rebel and live true to their natures. The citizens of East End find themselves cured of writer's block, infertility, and skin infections, and generally profiting from the benevolent attentions of the Beauchamps. Then small disturbances become large ones, otherworldly creatures show up, and humans disappear. De la Cruz is a formidable storyteller with a narrative voice strong enough to handle the fruits of her imagination. Even readers who generally avoid witches and whatnot stand to be won over by the time the cliffhanger-with-a-twist-ending hits. (June)

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
0 Kudos

Nicole Peeler's new book cover is up!!!!! Yay, I can't wait!!!!!!!!

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

ok, i need a drink. I emailed Jeremy and blasted people on the free friday selection today. The book today was Front Porch Prophet. The book has a 4.8star on goodreads. Its a 2.5 on B&N because 15+ people reviewed it today...and none of them read it!!!!!!! Ir'd all..this book sucks and why do thry even bother with free books if they keep choosing dumb books.....UGH!

Shot please (gulp) another please. I do not know why this makes me so ANGRY. (gulp).

I always look at multipule review sites, not so much on freebies, but on purchases.

I need a shirt that says "I see MORONS!"

Sorry (another shot please)(gulp) i am done venting. Who;s the new bartender? He is smokin. I love the shirtless uniform ya make them wear..hehe. I am a little tipsy.

What is everybody doing this weekend?