Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

Welcome to Guilty Pleasures: The Paranormal Pub – Off-Topic Chat Served Up Daily

[ Edited ]

Welcome, friend, to Guilty Pleasures: The Paranormal Pub, a place where fans of paranormal fantasy and paranormal romance can talk about anything and everything that doesn't quite fit into any other threads.My name is Paul but my friends call me Goat – you might also know me as the Book Pimp. Grab a seat, order up your favorite beverage, and stick around for a while. You never know what we're going to be talking about in here!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to Guilty Pleasures: The Paranormal Pub – Off-Topic Chat Served Up Daily

I will throw out the first topic for our new Pub.  I was checking out different websites and a thing that was brought up was where are the new monsters since authors are starting to head back to the old fashion monsters.  I am not sure what they mean by new monsters.  Since most of the books that I have seen have had Vampires, shapeshifters, fae, demons, and ghosts.  Do they mean more the horror type books?  Does anyone have any ideas of what they could be talking about?

Paul, l will have a ginger beer while I am waiting for the others to realize that you are open.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

Re: Welcome to Guilty Pleasures: The Paranormal Pub – Off-Topic Chat Served Up Daily

Thanks Paul for setting this thread up; and,

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL!

(See borrowed images from dulcinea and becke in mystery below.)

dulcinea3 wrote:

I'm a sucker for sparkly holiday images, not sparkly vamps.:smileytongue:

Here's eggs galore!

dulcinea3 wrote:

Here's the soft, cudly and awww isn't that sweet one.

dulcinea3 wrote:

And, since this thread is  

I borrowed this appropriate image from becke, (just wish it featured a guy rather than a girl!.:smileytongue:)

becke_davis wrote:

This one's a little bizarre:

paulgoatallen

Nelsmom wrote:

I will throw out the first topic for our new Pub.  I was checking out different websites and a thing that was brought up was where are the new monsters since authors are starting to head back to the old fashion monsters.  I am not sure what they mean by new monsters.  Since most of the books that I have seen have had Vampires, shapeshifters, fae, demons, and ghosts.  Do they mean more the horror type books?  Does anyone have any ideas of what they could be talking about?

Paul, l will have a ginger beer while I am waiting for the others to realize that you are open.

Toni

TLC:

One ginger beer coming up!

Great question – vampires have been hot for the past decade or so, zombies were big the last few years but there has been a dramatic decline in zombie fiction this year... I've heard some publicists say that the next big trend will be faeries... In my opinion, faeries have always been popular so maybe they know about some blockbuster Fae coming out this summer that I haven't heard about yet... We shall see.

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Paul I am not sure what kind of monsters they are refering to either. But if someone could line up a couple of shots of patron..i will think about some more.

:smileytongue:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

Paul I am not sure what kind of monsters they are refering to either. But if someone could line up a couple of shots of patron..i will think about some more.

I like your thinking, kimba...

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

yumm. those shots were good, bar keep line up another and one for my friends too. The Fringe is on tonight. Only 3 episodes left this season. I love Walter, hate Walternate and like both worlds. Doctor Who season starts tomorrow..wahoo! woot! woot!

Lets all raise our glasses to Matthew..from Being Human.

to Matthew

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

Toni

TLC:

One ginger beer coming up!

Great question – vampires have been hot for the past decade or so, zombies were big the last few years but there has been a dramatic decline in zombie fiction this year... I've heard some publicists say that the next big trend will be faeries... In my opinion, faeries have always been popular so maybe they know about some blockbuster Fae coming out this summer that I haven't heard about yet... We shall see.

Paul

Unless I'm checking out a specific book I don't read the various Fantasy/UF blogs. So, I'm not familiar with the buzz about new horror-driven monsters. That said, the vamps in The Greyfriar, (Vampire Empire, Book 1) were viscous monsters. Likewise the vamps in The Passage were world-killing monsters. And, the vamps in

Twilight Forever Rising were calculating and largely in-human. Plus, Pelegrimas' Skinners series features horror-story werewolves and vicious/scheming vamps. (It's the best monster hunter series I currently read.) The next book is Breaking (Skinners Series #5).   

P.S. I forgot the nightmare/alien vamps in the Strain trilogy. The vamp mythology in The Strain (Strain Trilogy #1) and The Fall (Strain Trilogy #2) is a fusion of Sci-Fi terror and horror.  

Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

yumm. those shots were good, bar keep line up another and one for my friends too. The Fringe is on tonight. Only 3 episodes left this season. I love Walter, hate Walternate and like both worlds. Doctor Who season starts tomorrow..wahoo! woot! woot!

Lets all raise our glasses to Matthew..from Being Human.

to Matthew

I cannot wait for Dr. Who!  Anyone up for pizza?

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS

Midnight pizza is the way to go!

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

I like your thinking, kimba...

OOH...me too, Kimba!  But I prefer Patron Silver, with no training wheels. Just the tequila in a chilled shooter glass, please!  :smileyvery-happy:

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

OK boys are girls..Drinking does effect the brain...

My toast was to Mitchell of Being Human...Matthew is from a Discovery of Witches (LOL)

A drink to Mitchell !  (and  I prefer Silver Patron too :smileyhappy: )

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

Nelsmom wrote:

Toni

Dude, what the hell do they mean by "New monsters"?  Are they talking about pretty-emo-sparkling vampires vs. scary-suck-your-soul-out vampires?  Maybe they are referring to monsters like the Kraken that are so old school they are becoming new again? How much do you want to bet that they are taking about zombie/chemical out break monsters, which is just lame.  Zombies are true old school, nothing new about them (besides my undying love for them).

Guess we need to make up some new monsters then.  My votes goes to the Krakaquatch. A large sized hairy sea monster with a human like body, but with multiple arms and human eyes set in a squid like face. See there's a new monster for them!

Alright guys, I'm a vodka girl.  Anyone got a vodka-cran on stock?

TiggerBear

It's spring and almost Easter, so I'm take a tall mimosa myself.

Hmm new monster... yep I don't think they really know what they talking about. Most authors are getting better using old school monsters and walking new paths with them. But that doesn't make them new. (scratching head) Probably just monsters new to them.

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

Just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a HAPPY EASTER!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
paulgoatallen

Hope everyone is having a joyous Easter....  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

paulgoatallen wrote:

This image reminds me of Bunnicula!  Haven't thought of that vampire bunny in at least 20 years!

Bunnicula 

HAPPY EASTER Everyone!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Sarah3973 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

This image reminds me of Bunnicula!  Haven't thought of that vampire bunny in at least 20 years!

Bunnicula 

HAPPY EASTER Everyone!

Happy Easter!!!

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS

Did anyone watch Dr. Who?  I am really excited about this season!  Last season's start had all the nervousness about Matt Smith and such.  Now that all that is over, I can just focus on the story and this season is looking more than promising. 

Did anyone else keep thinking that the monster looked like this?