Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Re: What are you currently reading?

In a Fog  Away from Home..Miss Vermont..But Love being with my family..

The Windup Girl   was featured at The Northshire Bookstore,near where I live in VT..The bookseller that read it loved it..Thanks for the link PGA..Small Indie Presses are really stepping up to the plate..Must get to  "Of Blood and Honey" pen21 highly recommended it quite some time ago..Then dainewt...Soon...

dalnewt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

dalnewt wrote:
P.S. I wouldn't have known about the Stina Leicht book, Of Blood and Honey, if not for PGA's blog about it. Further, I wouldn't have read it as soon as I did if not for Pen's post saying that she had read it and loved it. 

On that note, I am continually amazed by the amount of stellar books being released – like Of Blood and Honey – that come and go in the night while so far other mediocre books get massive exposure. That is one of my personal missions here – finding those gems that make get overlooked otherwise.

I've found a ton of gems at http://www.nightshadebooks.com – my fav small press of the moment. They release Of Blood and Honey, Brave New Worlds, Jim and the Flims, The Windup Girl, and so many other fantastic books in the last few years!

Paul

Soft Apocalypse was published by Nightshade too. It's another book in my pile that I bought because of one of your blogs Paul. I'm just waiting for my mood to improve before I tackle an apocalyptic story this summer. 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Hi Gang.. I am sad :smileysad: and happy :smileyvery-happy: I am currently reading : 

Pale Demon (Rachel Morgan Series #9)  

I am happy:smileywink: cause I am finally caught up and I love this friggin series..and I am sad :smileymad: because now I am stuck waiting anxiously for the next book with you!!!! 

I need a new series to catch up on...what do you recommend ladies and gents???

paulgoatallen

kimba88 wrote:

Hi Gang.. I am sad :smileysad: and happy :smileyvery-happy: I am currently reading : 

I am happy:smileywink: cause I am finally caught up and I love this friggin series..and I am sad :smileymad: because now I am stuck waiting anxiously for the next book with you!!!! 

Kimba:

Have you read the Mercy Thompson novels? Those are comparable... but if you want unparalleled quality, I'd suggest Kat Richardson's Greywalker saga. It's a little more mystery than the Rachel Morgan novels but they are exceptional!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Kimba:

Have you read the Mercy Thompson novels? Those are comparable... but if you want unparalleled quality, I'd suggest Kat Richardson's Greywalker saga. It's a little more mystery than the Rachel Morgan novels but they are exceptional!

Paul

Thanks Paul... i am going with the Kat Richardson's ..i like more mystery. I enjoy the Hollows, but i prefer a meater story.

Wordsmith
Tess75

[ Edited ]

dalnewt wrote:

Tess75 wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

tabascobaby wrote:

okay, I wanted to read the Stormwalker series... However, I tried her

Dragon Heat  series (the first book) and found that I honestly could not finish it. I found it boring, and frankly not well written. So I wanted to know if the stormwalker series was better?

All I can say is that the Stormwalker series is fun and exciting!

Shadow Walker (Stormwalker Series #3)

is featured this month on this board at JUNE FEATURE #3: Shadow Walker by Allyson James. The two earlier books in the series,

Stormwalker (Stormwalker Series #1) 

and

Firewalker (Stormwalker Series #2)

were each featured on this board previously. Just type the titles in the search box and you'll find numerous links with numerous recommendations.

If you're interested, I recommend you read Paul Goat Allen's glowing review of the first two books at Things That Are Hot: Death Valley Sunburns, Habanero Peppers, and Sex With a Dragon Shapeshifter.    

Note, this series is a supernatural adventure/mystery series with touches of sizzling romance. James also writes a really entertaining and sensual paranormal romance series under the name of Jennifer Ashley that starts with

Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound Series #1).

See Supernaturally Sexy: Ashley’s Shifters Unbound Saga is Paranormal Romance At Its Very Best.  

I haven't read "Shifters Unbound Series#1", but I just finished book three in the "StormWalker Series". I enjoyed the series and the pages were filled with enough action and suspense to keep you interested. I was so glad when book three finally came out,"Shadow Walker". I have to say I think #3 was the best in the series so far and am hoping there's more to come.

Currently I'm reading "Black Dragon #2". I've read several posts on how the "Dragon Heat Series" was boring. I personally have enjoyed them so far which isn't saying that others might not enjoy this kind of series. Along the way I've picked up books that I've seen posted and what others thought about them. Some of them turned out the same way for me and I had wished I hadn't spent the money!:smileyhappy: Then there where others that I bought and didn't think I'd like it to find out the book ended way to fast, for example "of Blood and Honey" by Stina Leicht. I read it in two days and am looking forward to ?Hopefully? the second book. So ya sometimes it hard to tell if the series will turn out good beacause you liked the books you've read by the same author.

I have so many books in my wish list that I've read from posts. Hopefully there will be some good ones in there. I've learned to buy one book at a time instead of half the series just because of the reviews I've read. I learned it the hard way. Just so you know since it's easy to misinterprets replies such as mine. I am not at attacking those that didn't like "Dragon Heat" by Allyson James. Everyone has there own likes and dislikes that's what makes us individuals. At the same time for those reading the reviews shouldn't always base there opinion off another's review. You might be missing out on a good book!:smileyhappy:

There have been several books that I've enjoyed because of "dainewt's" post's. There are only a few people that catches my eye by their reviews on a book and I've learned to trust them. If I'm not mistaken "dainewt" was the one who had posted the review on " of Blood and Honey". I could be wrong so if I am please except my apologies. To conclude this I just wanted to make sure that this is not to be taken as insult when I wrote about likening the "Dragon Heat Series". I was only stating that I enjoy them along with giving five stars for "Stormwalker Series"!

Thanks Tess, I appreciate it. I like to add a substantive contribution, but sometimes it just seems to be too much work for no real benefit. And sometimes it seems like people expect my posts to be more substantive/more detailed <shrugs> just plain better than the majority of messages posted by others on this board. But, I do get a good feeling when people like you mention that they've enjoyed some of the books I've written posts about.  

P.S. I wouldn't have known about the Stina Leicht book, Of Blood and Honey, if not for PGA's blog about it. Further, I wouldn't have read it as soon as I did if not for Pen's post saying that she had read it and loved it. 

First I'd like to point out to you is that you must be doing something right. If you stop and think about it you're Laurel is an "Inspired Wordsmith" . That's not an easy thing to accomplish as far as I can tell which shows that you're posts have inspired others or they wouldn't have given you a Laurel in the first place or respond to your posts. So I think you're being to hard on your self. I honestly don't think others expect you to post more than you do. Besides those that do aren't worth your time. You have worked hard to get where you are. I'm still not sure exactly how the Laurel system really works. I get the just of it but I seem to have stalled as an "Distinguished Correspondent" even though my Laurels have kept climbing (not important). I think sometimes when you are at a high level status as your self people expect more out of you. Like you have all the answers because they see "Inspired Wordsmith" under your Avatar. Personally I admire those that have climbed the ranks and feel that all of you deserve it. That doesn't mean we should expect let alone take advantage of you because of your rank. I've seen post receive several Laurels by either showing a book cover or posting three lines that really doesn't contribute to much.:smileyhappy:

So don't be hard on your self or feel that there isn't a benefit because just by looking through different posts I personally have notice that there are only a few people that have earned the respect along with people either seeking your advice (which can be time consuming pain or an honor)! They also look for those few such as your self for new authors and books to read because they "my self included" to trust your views on what you're reading because I personally haven't read a book that you've mentioned that I didn't enjoy reading.

I also think it's sad that you along with the other higher ranks don't receive enough recognition. Having your name listed on the top Laurel list after awhile feels like you're just another face among them. We as a community shouldn't be ashamed to show their appreciation by posting their comments about it. After all giving Laurels is nice and all but you can only climb the ranking system so high and then what? It has to feel like a lot of pressure just posting comments. So I want you to know when I write my appreciation for your time and suggestions I mean them. I don't write them just to write. As my closing comment I'm glad that it made you feel good!:smileyhappy: 

Not that everyone should start writing thank you comments either. Unless you really mean it, other wise they wont mean anything! It has to be honest and heart felt if not don't write it. Like they say if you're just talking to be heard and recognized your better off keeping your mouth shut!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

I just found Burn the Night in the local bookstore!  :-D  It's next after The Breaking....  But...it's the last one.  :-(

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

I just found Burn the Night in the local bookstore!  :-D  It's next after The Breaking....  But...it's the last one.  :-(

HOLY CR*P!! You did?!? I thought it wasn't coming out until tomorrow! Totally jealous.... I've been impatiently waiting for this one, but I am sad it's the last :smileysad:

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

I just finished reading "Magic slays" by Ilona Andrews. I love this series! Kate is such a great character and stays true to her character. This series has everything in it that I enjoy; suspense, mystery, action, fast-paced, strong plot, entertaining, and not filled to the rim with sex. If you have not read this series yet then I say "get off your butt and read it".......LOL. Trust me, you will like it.

And now what to read next. Do I wait till tomorrow and read "Kitty's Big Trouble" or go ahead and start reading "Nightwalker" that's been in my TRB pile now for a long time....what to do, what to do.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

I finished up the Lords of the Underworld books.  I like that Showalter puts peeks of the of other couples and future couples throughout the books.  I think Paris' book is the next one out, but I can't wait for Strider's book.

The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld Series #6) 

The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld Series #7)   

Next up is the new Cassie Palmer novel, Hunt the Moon.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

Tess, 

Thanks for the pep talk.

IMO, the primary reason to be on these board is to discuss books with other people who share similar reading tastes. The various designations and laurels are nice but just window dressing.

The best return for my time on the boards is when I get a good discussion and/or when someone mentions that they enjoyed a book I previously recommended and/or when I get a tip on a good book. Of course, there is the occasional humorous and/or cheerful post and getting to know a community of people who you feel comfortable with.:smileyhappy: 

New User
Aliext
0 Kudos

I just started kresley cole immortals after dark series very good series but definitely an adult read.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I have head out reading Jocelynn Drake's Wait For Dusk till now so I have to wail to start Burn The Night which I just got till I finish Wait for Dusk but I hope to be able to start it this evening.

Wait for Dusk (Dark Days Series #5) 

Burn the Night (Dark Days Series #6)  

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

ThirstyFlea wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

HOLY CR*P!! You did?!? I thought it wasn't coming out until tomorrow! Totally jealous.... I've been impatiently waiting for this one, but I am sad it's the last :smileysad:

Hehehe, yep...I was totally shocked when I saw they had stock.  I didn't even have to ask for it...usually they are still in the back on a cart, LOL!  I was actually on the shelf..can't believe my luck!  :-)

Apparently this one starts from Nyx's prospective and then shifts to Mira.  Hmmmmmm

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

jgmme wrote:

I just finished reading "Magic slays" by Ilona Andrews. I love this series! Kate is such a great character and stays true to her character. This series has everything in it that I enjoy; suspense, mystery, action, fast-paced, strong plot, entertaining, and not filled to the rim with sex. If you have not read this series yet then I say "get off your butt and read it".......LOL. Trust me, you will like it.

And now what to read next. Do I wait till tomorrow and read "Kitty's Big Trouble" or go ahead and start reading "Nightwalker" that's been in my TRB pile now for a long time....what to do, what to do.

I can't wait to read Kitty's Big Trouble...I love the Kitty Norville series.  :-)

I really need to get reading the Ilona Andrews series!  Sounds good!

Correspondent
tabascobaby
0 Kudos

I am currently reading 

Deeper Than Midnight (Midnight Breed Series #9)  

And I think afterwards i am going to read 

Dawn's Awakening (Breeds Series)  or if I hear that the new kitty norville book is better than the last one I will read that. the last norville book almost put me off the entire series. I felt it was boring and when I had finished reading it, I couldn't remember reading it (a couple of months later). I remembered the basics like the army wolves.. but it left a lot to be desired IMHO

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

3monstersmom wrote:

I'm finally starting 

Darkfever (Fever Series #1)  

I couldn't wait any longer I had to start this series.  Hoping it's as good as I have built it up to be in my mind.  Very excited right now.

Hi 3monstersmom...I have a confession to make : ) because of my OCD with the Fever series..I have 20 pages left in Shadowfever"which I cannot finish..I have heard that there will be a few more books...But I think I am ready to finish it ,finally...So Glad you are loving The Fever Series..I saw a post from pen21,and her love of the series as well..But can't find it right now..So many of us here have read it,and did fall in love and excitement of all the different elements"'Characters".....I did the same..Bought all the books..Then waited,and waited for Shadowfever...Now you can read them all..: ) Vermont Susan..Confession App...: )

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

Just finshed 2 books from the fiction genre:

Chasing the Night and Eve by Iris Johansen (Eve Duncan series) both were excellent. 

Just started:

Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer Series #5)

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

angelcloud529 wrote:

Just finshed 2 books from the fiction genre:

Chasing the Night and Eve by Iris Johansen (Eve Duncan series) both were excellent. 

Just started:

Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer Series #5)

I have this one waiting in the wings along with many others. There's usually so much happenning in a Cassie Palmer story that you just have to hold on and enjoy the ride.:smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

Vermontcozy wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:

I'm finally starting 

Darkfever (Fever Series #1)  

I couldn't wait any longer I had to start this series.  Hoping it's as good as I have built it up to be in my mind.  Very excited right now.

Hi 3monstersmom...I have a confession to make : ) because of my OCD with the Fever series..I have 20 pages left in Shadowfever"which I cannot finish..I have heard that there will be a few more books...But I think I am ready to finish it ,finally...So Glad you are loving The Fever Series..I saw a post from pen21,and her love of the series as well..But can't find it right now..So many of us here have read it,and did fall in love and excitement of all the different elements"'Characters".....I did the same..Bought all the books..Then waited,and waited for Shadowfever...Now you can read them all..: ) Vermont Susan..Confession App...: )

Shadowfever (Fever Series #5)  

I just started Shadowfever and I can completely understand not wanting this series to end.  Glad I waited until they were all out or the cliffhanger ending of book 4 (Dreamfever) would of undone me.  I am curious about this more books rumor, please tell me everything you know about it.  Haha.:smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88