Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

Re: What are you currently reading?

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Wordsmith
Tess75

SciFiCanuck wrote:

Tess75 wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

Tess75 wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

Well I was bad...stopped into the bookstore just to LOOK...and ended up buying 6 books!!???  Aaaaaaaaa-DOH!

Discovered some next in a series I have the first one(s) for and new one or two..  :-)

You are so naughty and yet I'm so jealous at the same time. I remember the good ole days when I had the money to buy that many books at a time! Of course I'd have to lie to Curt about how much I really spent but hey what's a little white lie when it comes to a good book that you just have to have!:smileytongue:

That and they look so good. I can't wait until I get my check Wednesday!!!!!

Oh I know...I really shouldn't but I have NO self-control!!  LOL  It's so much fun though...I love looking around the bookstore!  :-)

I remember those days. I'd tell Curt I was going and wouldn't be gone long. Next thing you know I'm getting a phone  call saying, "I thought you were only going for couple books, it's been over two hour"! OOPs! I always got so cought up looking into books and come home with more than what I said I was going for.  (LOL)

Hahahaha, I love it!  :-)  That's too funny!

Haha! Pay day was yesterday, but Sara and my nephew & sis went to the zoo. So as soon as I woke up this morning I purchased "The Demonica Series",by Larissa Ione all 5 of them. Then I found #1&2 of "Alex Craft Series" by Kalayna Price. They look good. Then there were several books by Autumn Dawn, "The Dark Land Series". My sister said that she read a couple and they where something she thought I would read. they were all under $3.00. So at least if they aren't good I didn't spend that much. Then I picked up a few free books along the way that sounded good. I can't wait until to finish the "Tales of the Urban Werewolf" by Karen Maclnerney! I think I'm going to start the Demonica series first or I forgot I also purchased the "Shifters Unbound" by Jennifer Ashely. So many good ones It's hard to decide! Good thing there's only a couple chapters left of my last book in the series I'm reading.

If you have a suggestion let me know which you would prefer since I'm sure you've alrerady at least started one or more of the books I've suggested? OMG I spent way to much money today so much for adding a couple outfits to my wardrobe so I some clothes that fit this summer to wear(LOL)! Guess it's all natural for me.:smileyvery-happy:

What can I say I start going through the books I listed on my wish list that I've been reading about on the forums and I have no control whats so ever. I lose all control. Thank God my bank monitors amounts leaving accounts and puts a stop to it or my check would be gone. Now I have to call the CS Line to cancel the books my bank stopped payment on because eventually I want to purchase them. Definatly because one that didn't download was book #1 while #2 downloaded. Now that sucks:smileytongue: (LOL)

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

Ok, so I finished Blood Secrets by Jeannie Holmes Tuesday night. Boy was this book chopped full of action, suspense, and secrets. I just hope the next book sheds some light on them, I am dieing to know!!!

On Wednesday a.m. I started Undead and undermined by MaryJanice Davidson and finished it Wednesday night. I love her books, they are a fast read but so funny as well. My husband always knows when I am reading one of her books cuz I can't help but laugh out loud.

Now I finally started Grave Witch by Kalayna Price and am on chapter 8. So far I am really liking this book, in fact I all ready bought the 2nd one.

Only 12 more days till Jim Buchters next book!!!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen

jgmme wrote:

On Wednesday a.m. I started Undead and undermined by MaryJanice Davidson and finished it Wednesday night. I love her books, they are a fast read but so funny as well. My husband always knows when I am reading one of her books cuz I can't help but laugh out loud.

Jo - How does Undead and Undermined compare to the older books??  I've kinda lost interest in the series since MJD started the new, more serious, story arc.  I don't know if I want to pay the hardback price or wait til it hits paperback.

Over the past couple of days, Ive been rereading Eileen Wilkes' Lupi series.  There are so many good characters in this series...Lily, Rule, Grandmother, Benedict, Cullen, Cynna....

This is one of those great series you don't hear much about.

Tempting Danger (Lupi Series #1) 

Mortal Danger (Lupi Series #2) 

Blood Lines (Lupi Series #3)  

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

FaeryQueen wrote:

jgmme wrote:

Jo - How does Undead and Undermined compare to the older books??  I've kinda lost interest in the series since MJD started the new, more serious, story arc.  I don't know if I want to pay the hardback price or wait til it hits paperback.

Over the past couple of days, Ive been rereading Eileen Wilkes' Lupi series.  There are so many good characters in this series...Lily, Rule, Grandmother, Benedict, Cullen, Cynna....

This is one of those great series you don't hear much about.

Tempting Danger (Lupi Series #1) 

Mortal Danger (Lupi Series #2) 

Blood Lines (Lupi Series #3)  

Undead and Undermined is a little more serious than the 1st books in the series, but the humor is still there. And I liked this one much better than the last one. That being said, I have always waited for the paper back in this series ( there are only a few series that I but in hard back), this time I got it on my Nook.

I love the Lupi series! I read them all just a few months ago and am waiting for the next one. I was even able to get my husband to read them, and that's not always easy, he is such a pick reader.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

[ Edited ]

Heart of Evil  

I finished book 2 of the Krewe of Hunters trilogy. This is about a team of FBI agents, who handle paranormal cases. These books are paranormal mysteries with a twist of romance. This story is Jake's. The team is asked to investigate a missing person at  a Louisiana plantation where civil war enactments take place. Ashley (a former love of Jake's) Is the granddaughter of the plantation owner. The missing person is found murdered..and thus the mystery begins. Seeking the help of ghosts, the team works to prevent another murder.

I find these books to be entertaining. They are a nice easy read, between the series I read..and every girl needs a little romance and mystery :smileyhappy:

Poltergeist (Greywalker Series #2)  

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

ThirstyFlea wrote:

thanks for the recommendation, i downloaded these and look forward to reading them :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

dalnewt wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

I've half-way through

No Hero, and I'm totally engaged by this book.

The book starts off with a bang. The protagonist, a competent but quintessentially ordinary Oxford Police Detective named Arthur Wallace, witnesses a supernaturally enhanced woman leap into the air and de-crown an entranced human with a sword. White tentacles explode from the fallen human's head along with a spray of floating, translucent spores. They wink in and out then collapse and disappear. Then, the woman turns to the stairway where Arthur is located and spears him through the chest. Arthur is subsequently recruited into a secret British agency, designated M137, responsible for containing an alien threat which involves massive tentacled Feeders from an alternate dimension and the spores they have sent into our world to create worm infested human progeny.

The ultimate goal of the progeny is to acquire the knowledge and electrical power necessary to breach the dimensions and bring the all-consuming Feeders into our world. The imaginative system of magic utilized in this book fascinates me. Electricity acts a lubricant between dimensions, and magic entails grimoire spells and pulling specific forces from alternate dimensions.

Arthur is completely out of his depth in this new and weird world. His confusion and doubt is initially shared by the reader as the parameters of this new world become clear. Arthur's encounters with the progeny are lightning-fast and cinematic. Plus, his unsure undercover work is entertaining and ultimately results in a chaotic and heart-thumping encounter.

This book reads much more like urban fantasy than a traditional fantasy or Sci-Fi story, but the quasi-scientific/alternate dimension aspect is undeniable and fascinating to me.  Right now Arthur and his quirky team members are off to Peru in search of an ancient grimoire that could either save or destroy the world depending on who gets their hands on it first.  

I couldn't put this book down once I reached the mid-point.

This book was satisfying on every level. The main character was droll and self-effacing. The supporting characters were quirky. The monstrous and morphing progeny were wonderfully horrible. The action was cinematic, frantic and plentiful culminating in a stellar and evolving showdown. And, the electric powered/spell directed magic was innovative. But, IMO, the best thing about this book was the diabolical plot. As I reached the end of this story I was truly satisfied. Paul's blog about this book is completely dead on and may be read at What Would Kurt Russell Do? Wood's Apocalyptic Debut a Psychotropic Thrill Ride – With Tentacles.

I picked this up for my nook..as always Delnewt your reviews inspire me to try new books and series. keep posting your reviews :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

Just finished

Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer Series #5)  

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

[ Edited ]

Poltergeist (Greywalker Series #2)  

I finished this book and I am loving this series. A spunky protagonist PI, investigates an alleged poltergeist at a local college. Murder and mayhem surround this group. A list of whodunit characters, keep you turning the pages as you wonder who or what is behind this strange occurance.

I am now taking a mini break from the Grey to  read:

Rosemary and Rue (October Daye Series #1)

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

Just started

Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan Series #8)  

I'm really supposed to be reading two other books for book clubs, but I couldn't help myself.  (((SHRUGS)))

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
New User
love2escape

So I am new around here!! I have now added more than 15 books to my NTR stack! Among all my friends I am the only one who reads the P&UF type books. Glad I stumbled upon this group!

I am currently reading Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell Hamilton. I have really enjoyed reading this series.

I also enjoyed reading Shiver and Lingerby Maggie Stiefvater

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shiver-maggie-stiefvater/1023702639?ean=9780545123273&itm=1&usri=shi...

I look forward to finding more great books to add to my stack!

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

Grave Witch (Alex Craft Series #1)  

Just finished this book last night and it was awesome! Yet another book that

spent too much time in my TBR pile. Lots of action and mystery. The world building was new and fresh and the characters were well written and likeable. Now I am off to read the 2nd book in this series.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

love2escape wrote:

So I am new around here!! I have now added more than 15 books to my NTR stack! Among all my friends I am the only one who reads the P&UF type books. Glad I stumbled upon this group!

I am currently reading Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell Hamilton. I have really enjoyed reading this series.

I also enjoyed reading Shiver and Lingerby Maggie Stiefvater

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shiver-maggie-stiefvater/1023702639?ean=9780545123273&itm=1&usri=shi...

I look forward to finding more great books to add to my stack!

Welcome!

I loved Obsidian Butterfly--it had a great mystery investigation and was, IMO, the most horrific of all the Anita Blake books. And, I love horror mingled with mystery. Be forewarned though--the AB books precipitously change after OB. They become more and more sexual and inwardly focused on AB and the supernatural groups which surround her. If you keep reading the series, you'll find out soon enough.  

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

jgmme wrote:

Just finished this book last night and it was awesome! Yet another book that

spent too much time in my TBR pile. Lots of action and mystery. The world building was new and fresh and the characters were well written and likeable. Now I am off to read the 2nd book in this series.

I added this to my TBR pile, it looks interesting. Thanks for sharing :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

I am about half way done this book and I am really enjoying it. This is a modern day story of the Fae. Toby is a changeling (1/2 human, 1/2 fae) She begins as a PI, with a human boyfriend and child. A mission goes bad and she is missing for 14yrs. She is rejected by boyfriend and child and she rejects the Fae.

Until she gets  a call that binds her to solve a murder.

I am so impressed with this author. Mcguire is 33 yr olds and also writes under the pen name Mira Grant (Feed, Deadline). From Fae to Zombies she captures you from page one. Thanks to all who recommended this series.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

kimba88 wrote:

I am about half way done this book and I am really enjoying it. This is a modern day story of the Fae. Toby is a changeling (1/2 human, 1/2 fae) She begins as a PI, with a human boyfriend and child. A mission goes bad and she is missing for 14yrs. She is rejected by boyfriend and child and she rejects the Fae.

I am so impressed with this author. Mcguire is 33 yr olds and also writes under the pen name Mira Grant (Feed, Deadline). From Fae to Zombies she captures you from page one. Thanks to all who recommended this series.

I really liked this book. I need to get back to this series. The author does a great job of writing two series that are so different.

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the head's up on 

Just added it to my ever-expanding TBR list!

ETA:  I forgot to say "Welcome love2escape!"  You will find some great books and even better people around here!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

Because you all at some point were discussing these covers in detail, I decided to give the books a shot! So I just started reading Tempest Rising (Jane True Series #1) , and so far it seems great! I really like that there seems to be a little spin on the supernatural creatures here- not the standard vampire/werewolf kind of book. Plus, I really like this author's writing style- she writes a snarky character, but doesn't dumb down the language and actually uses nice big words (which I love).

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
paulgoatallen

kimba88 wrote:

Great, great series – one of the most under-rated paranormal fantasy series out there.

FYI – I interviewed Seanan a few months back and the interview will FINALLY be featured in www.fantasy-magazine.com in August. I've interviewed a lot of authors over the years but for some reason I just love how this one turned out. Seanan just blew me away – after you read the interview, you will fall in love with her just like I did. Just a remarkable woman...

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky