Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

Re: What are you currently reading?

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Rosemary and Rue (October Daye Series #1)  

I am about half way done this book and I am really enjoying it. This is a modern day story of the Fae. Toby is a changeling (1/2 human, 1/2 fae) She begins as a PI, with a human boyfriend and child. A mission goes bad and she is missing for 14yrs. She is rejected by boyfriend and child and she rejects the Fae.

Until she gets  a call that binds her to solve a murder.

I am so impressed with this author. Mcguire is 33 yr olds and also writes under the pen name Mira Grant (Feed, Deadline). From Fae to Zombies she captures you from page one. Thanks to all who recommended this series.

Great, great series – one of the most under-rated paranormal fantasy series out there.

FYI – I interviewed Seanan a few months back and the interview will FINALLY be featured in www.fantasy-magazine.com in August. I've interviewed a lot of authors over the years but for some reason I just love how this one turned out. Seanan just blew me away – after you read the interview, you will fall in love with her just like I did. Just a remarkable woman...

Paul

Hey Paul - Can you throw us a link and remind us again about that interview with Seanan when it comes out in August?  I want to make sure I don't miss it.

paulgoatallen

3monstersmom wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

I am about half way done this book and I am really enjoying it. This is a modern day story of the Fae. Toby is a changeling (1/2 human, 1/2 fae) She begins as a PI, with a human boyfriend and child. A mission goes bad and she is missing for 14yrs. She is rejected by boyfriend and child and she rejects the Fae.

I am so impressed with this author. Mcguire is 33 yr olds and also writes under the pen name Mira Grant (Feed, Deadline). From Fae to Zombies she captures you from page one. Thanks to all who recommended this series.

Great, great series – one of the most under-rated paranormal fantasy series out there.

FYI – I interviewed Seanan a few months back and the interview will FINALLY be featured in www.fantasy-magazine.com in August. I've interviewed a lot of authors over the years but for some reason I just love how this one turned out. Seanan just blew me away – after you read the interview, you will fall in love with her just like I did. Just a remarkable woman...

Paul

Hey Paul - Can you throw us a link and remind us again about that interview with Seanan when it comes out in August?  I want to make sure I don't miss it.

Absolutely. I'll start a new thread so we can discuss. (Lots of great insights into Seanan!)   :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

Grave Dance (Alex Craft Series #2)  Just finished reading this book. I loved it, it was even better than the 1st one. The action seems to never stop and has a nice strong plot that keeps the pages turning. I would say that anyone who likes the October Daye series would like this one as well.

I am thinking of reading either Dayhunter or Viper Moon next.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Wordsmith
3monstersmom

paulgoatallen wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Paul

Absolutely. I'll start a new thread so we can discuss. (Lots of great insights into Seanan!)   :smileyhappy:

Paul

Awesome Paul!  You rock as usual.:smileywink:

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

jgmme wrote:

Grave Dance (Alex Craft Series #2)  Just finished reading this book. I loved it, it was even better than the 1st one. The action seems to never stop and has a nice strong plot that keeps the pages turning. I would say that anyone who likes the October Daye series would like this one as well.

Thanks for your thoughts on this series.  I just moved it up in my TBR pile.  Can't wait to start on them.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Paul

Paul ..i will be looking forward to reading the interview. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

kimba88 wrote:

Kimberly (kimba the lion:smileyhappy:)

When you finish Rosemary and Rue (October Daye Series #1), please post again with your final impressions. This is a great series that deserves as much good word of mouth/positive reader posts as it can get. Many people on this board, including myself, love this series and adore the Newsflesh series written by the author under the pseudonym of Mira Grant. Paul's written glowing blogs about both, the most recent of which can be found at A Smile Without A Cat: Seanan McGuire’s October Daye Saga Obliterates Urban Fantasy Stereotypes  and  The Night That Has No End: Deadline is Transcendent Zombie Fiction, An Epic Apocalyptic Thrill Ride.

Paul,

Exciting news about your upcoming interview with Seanan! Don't forget to remind us--we love her!!!!:smileyvery-happy:  

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

Chosen by Blood  I was at the book store and saw this book. It looks kindof good so I wanted to share. I have all ready started Dayhunter so I will start this one right after. I will let you guys know what I think. Does any one else have it?

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

jgmme wrote:

Chosen by Blood  I was at the book store and saw this book. It looks kindof good so I wanted to share. I have all ready started Dayhunter so I will start this one right after. I will let you guys know what I think. Does any one else have it?

I have it but haven't read it yet. Plan on reading it soon.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Kimberly (kimba the lion:smileyhappy:)

When you finish Rosemary and Rue (October Daye Series #1), please post again with your final impressions. This is a great series that deserves as much good word of mouth/positive reader posts as it can get. Many people on this board, including myself, love this series and adore the Newsflesh series written by the author under the pseudonym of Mira Grant. Paul's written glowing blogs about both, the most recent of which can be found at A Smile Without A Cat: Seanan McGuire’s October Daye Saga Obliterates Urban Fantasy Stereotypes  and  The Night That Has No End: Deadline is Transcendent Zombie Fiction, An Epic Apocalyptic Thrill Ride.

Paul,

Exciting news about your upcoming interview with Seanan! Don't forget to remind us--we love her!!!!:smileyvery-happy:  

Wow everyone! I only read Rosemary & Rue, and while it took me a while to get into it, I ended up loving it. I think I got side-tracked by some new releases, but it seems I need to pick up the rest of the series asap! I'll move these up in my TBR pile, maybe after I finish the Jane True books!

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

3monstersmom wrote:

jgmme wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts on this series.  I just moved it up in my TBR pile.  Can't wait to start on them.

Yes, thanks for the recommendation- these books look great! I'll be sure to check them out! (Oh, my virtual TBR pile is becoming intimidating...)

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Contributor
sweetpeaSG

Hello everyone

I am new to this book club. I am in fact new to this genre. I read the book Dead witch walking and really liked it. I am reading Every witch way but dead now. I have started a list of books that I want to read from the post I have read here. Thank you all for your insight.

Be easyon me, I still don't know what I am doing, it took two days to figurer out how to make a post.

SG

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

sweetpeaSG wrote:

Hello everyone

I am new to this book club. I am in fact new to this genre. I read the book Dead witch walking and really liked it. I am reading Every witch way but dead now. I have started a list of books that I want to read from the post I have read here. Thank you all for your insight.

Be easyon me, I still don't know what I am doing, it took two days to figurer out how to make a post.

SG

Welcome!  Everyone is great and I think you'll enjoy it here.  I am a latecomer to this genre as well--I started about a year ago.  I've been reading mostly epic fantasy and some science fiction for most of my life, but always thought I wouldn't like fantasy books set in the "real world."  How wrong I was!

I hope you enjoy your journey as much as I'm enjoying mine.  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

sweetpeaSG wrote:

Hello everyone

SG

Hi sweetpeaSG!  I am reading the Rachel Morgan series too!  I'm on book 8 now and am in love with the series.  I hope you will enjoy the these boards as much as the rest of us!  Don't worry about not knowing what you're doing, just ask if you have questions.  We're a helpful bunch.  :smileyvery-happy:

BTW, another series you may want to try is the Jane True series by Nicole Peeler.  Book 4 comes out soon.  The writing is well done-fast paced and witty.  You'll laugh out loud at Jane and her...quirks!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

I was at B&N last night to pick up a book for my 11 year old daughter and while browsing the kids books I noticed that at least half if not more are science fiction and paranormal fantasy. Which is great, start them young!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

sweetpeaSG wrote:

Hello everyone

SG

Welcome!!  :-)  Trust me you will love it here!  Oh and you may want to start saving....or put a second mortgage on your house...sell your first born... LOL!  Lots of book recommdations here that tend to spiral out of control...my current TBR (to be read) pile is over 300.   8D

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Nelsmom wrote:

jgmme wrote:

I have it but haven't read it yet. Plan on reading it soon.

Toni

I think I picked it up in the store...mulled over it...an then put it back.  One of you will have to let us know how it is...looks pretty good.  :-)

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

3monstersmom wrote:

jgmme wrote:

These 2 are at the top of my TBR as well...they do sound good.  :-)

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Just finished reading, Storm Kissed...It was REALLY good!  :-)  Love this series...

Now I'm onto the Final Dark Days book, #6...  sad it's the last one.  :-(  Boy, Mira looks kick-a$$ though!!

Wordsmith
Tess75

jgmme wrote:

FaeryQueen wrote:

jgmme wrote:

On Wednesday a.m. I started Undead and undermined by MaryJanice Davidson and finished it Wednesday night. I love her books, they are a fast read but so funny as well. My husband always knows when I am reading one of her books cuz I can't help but laugh out loud.

Jo - How does Undead and Undermined compare to the older books??  I've kinda lost interest in the series since MJD started the new, more serious, story arc.  I don't know if I want to pay the hardback price or wait til it hits paperback.

Over the past couple of days, Ive been rereading Eileen Wilkes' Lupi series.  There are so many good characters in this series...Lily, Rule, Grandmother, Benedict, Cullen, Cynna....

This is one of those great series you don't hear much about.

Tempting Danger (Lupi Series #1) 

Mortal Danger (Lupi Series #2) 

Blood Lines (Lupi Series #3)  

Undead and Undermined is a little more serious than the 1st books in the series, but the humor is still there. And I liked this one much better than the last one. That being said, I have always waited for the paper back in this series ( there are only a few series that I but in hard back), this time I got it on my Nook.

I love the Lupi series! I read them all just a few months ago and am waiting for the next one. I was even able to get my husband to read them, and that's not always easy, he is such a pick reader.

Series looks great, can't wait until I finish what I purchased then I'll have to download the Lupi Series!

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!