Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007

Re: What are you currently reading?


tfadams wrote:

The Killing Dance (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series #6) 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am so loving this series.


Lot of haters around when it comes to this series – and I understand there complaints to a point – but this is a CLASSIC series, one that in my mind began this whole paranormal fantasy revolution. GO ANITA!  :smileywink:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: What are you currently reading?

Kimba--The Gathering Storm (The Katerina Trilogy, Vol.I) looks very romantic. Let us know what you think of the book.:smileyhappy:

 

So, :smileyvery-happy:, yesterday morning I received my copy of 

A Perfect Blood (Rachel Morgan Series #10)  

 

Paul,

How about creating an early March Feature #1 for A Perfect Blood?

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011

Re: What are you currently reading?


dalnewt wrote:

Kimba--The Gathering Storm (The Katerina Trilogy, Vol.I) looks very romantic. Let us know what you think of the book.:smileyhappy:

 

So, :smileyvery-happy:, yesterday morning I received my copy of 

A Perfect Blood (Rachel Morgan Series #10)  

 

Paul,

How about creating an early March Feature #1 for A Perfect Blood?


so far..not a lot of romance..balls, royal society yes..zombie..yep...about 100 in, i like the historical feel of it, and of course the vamps, witches and fae. Will share my review when I finished. I have been reading quite a few YA books lately..they aren't the YA of my youth..thats for sure!

Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: What are you currently reading?

[ Edited ]

Looks like everyone is into some amazing sounding books. :smileyhappy: Hope everyone is enjoying them.

 

I read a few novellas that I loved in the last few days. 

Finished...Review to Follow:Unfortuantely this one is only available at the moment in Kindle, but I really enjoy this author so read it on my phone and computer.  It's a fun remix of the Aladdin tale with steampunk!!  I'm starting to get into this new genre with this author.  Cool and fun.

 

Then... I just finished today and loved it!  Carolyn Crane's novella that comes out on Tuesday.  She sent a free link in her newsletter to newsletter subscribers to get it for free.  Oh my!!! Loved this novella.  So much goes on emotions and happenings.  I fell in love with this world, and this is a great addition to it.

Finished...Review to Follow:

 

Now I have to figure out what to pick up next!  So many great books out there, and being released too!

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007

Re: What are you currently reading?


dalnewt wrote:

Kimba--The Gathering Storm (The Katerina Trilogy, Vol.I) looks very romantic. Let us know what you think of the book.:smileyhappy:

 

So, :smileyvery-happy:, yesterday morning I received my copy of 

A Perfect Blood (Rachel Morgan Series #10)  

 

Paul,

How about creating an early March Feature #1 for A Perfect Blood?



DONE! :smileyhappy:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: What are you currently reading?

[ Edited ]

Last night (well early in the AM) I finished Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #1).

 

It's a fun, fast-paced romp told from the first person perspective of a 21 year old guy who's really a two thousand one hundred year old druid named Atticus O'Sullivan. Atticus is a supernatural bon vivant with a good heart, engaging self-humility and a quirky wit, (with fun references to comic books, hard rock and the UF genre). He isn't particularly deep, but he is entertaining. He runs a quasi occult bookstore in Tempe Arizona with his sidekick, a completely endearing Irish Wolfhound named Oberon. Oberon is part dog and part precocious child who offers mind-speak comments with comedic timing and content. He's a big movie fan and likes to pretend he's an historical figure like Genghis Khan. The cast is filled out with eccentric characters including, but not limited to, a whiskey drinking Irish widow, a legal team composed of a vampire and werewolf, witches of varying temperaments and three Celtic goddesses who display a total lack of respect for human life.

 

The book also employs a fascinating system of magic, detailed Irish (Celtic) mythology and a smattering of myths/gods from other cultures. The plot begins with the Morrigan warning Atticus of imminent attacks engineered by the Celtic god of love, Aenghus Óg. During a battle about two thousand years ago Atticus appropriated an 'unconquerable' sword supposedly owned by Aenghus. Atticus has been running and hiding ever since, but he finally decides to make a stand in Arizona. What ensues is a twisting and escalating adventure as Atticus confronts problems and attacks masterminded by Aenghus and/or caused by the Celtic goddesses. The book culminates in an explosive battle, (featuring witches, werewolves and demons), and a sword wielding showdown between Atticus and Aenghus. 

 

I've already bought the two back-to-back followups, entitled Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #2) and Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #3). Note, this series has received GREAT REVIEWS, and I fully expect to enjoy the followup books. (I'll try to post my impressions of them.) Also note that the fourth Iron Druid book, Tricked Iron Druid Chronicles Series #4), is scheduled for release 4/24. I hope I've caught up with the series so I can read it in April/May.

Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


dalnewt wrote:

Last night (well early in the AM) I finished Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #1).

 

It's a fun, fast-paced romp told from the first person perspective of a 21 year old guy who's really a two thousand one hundred year old druid named Atticus O'Sullivan. Atticus is a supernatural bon vivant with a good heart, engaging self-humility and a quirky wit, (with fun references to comic books, hard rock and the UF genre). He isn't particularly deep, but he is entertaining. He runs a quasi occult bookstore in Tempe Arizona with his sidekick, a completely endearing Irish Wolfhound named Oberon. Oberon is part dog and part precocious child who offers mind-speak comments with comedic timing and content. He's a big movie fan and likes to pretend he's an historical figure like Genghis Khan. The cast is filled out with eccentric characters including, but not limited to, a whiskey drinking Irish widow, a legal team composed of a vampire and werewolf, witches of varying temperaments and three Celtic goddesses who display a total lack of respect for human life.

 

The book also employs a fascinating system of magic, detailed Irish (Celtic) mythology and a smattering of myths/gods from other cultures. The plot begins with the Morrigan warning Atticus of imminent attacks engineered by the Celtic god of love, Aenghus Óg. During a battle about two thousand years ago Atticus appropriated an 'unconquerable' sword supposedly owned by Aenghus. Atticus has been running and hiding ever since, but he finally decides to make a stand in Arizona. What ensues is a twisting and escalating adventure as Atticus confronts problems and attacks masterminded by Aenghus and/or caused by the Celtic goddesses. The book culminates in an explosive battle, (featuring witches, werewolves and demons), and a sword wielding showdown between Atticus and Aenghus. 

 

I've already bought the two back-to-back followups, entitled Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #2) and Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #3). Note, this series has received GREAT REVIEWS, and I fully expect to enjoy the followup books. (I'll try to post my impressions of them.) Also note that the fourth Iron Druid book, Tricked Iron Druid Chronicles Series #4), is scheduled for release 4/24. I hope I've caught up with the series so I can read it in April/May.


Dalnewt,

 

I have the first 3 books of this series, and really want to read them with all the amazing things I've heard of it.  So glad to see you enjoyed it so much too. :smileyhappy:

 

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
3monstersmom
Posts: 871
Registered: ‎03-04-2009

Re: What are you currently reading?

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
Posts: 2,075
Registered: ‎03-18-2008

Re: What are you currently reading?

Well wouldn't you know it...my copy of A Perfect Blood showed up today!!  :-D  But I just started the Hunger Games thinking it would be a couple more days!  I guess I am reading both now, LOL!

 

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
Posts: 308
Registered: ‎06-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


SciFiCanuck wrote:

Well wouldn't you know it...my copy of A Perfect Blood showed up today!!  :-D  But I just started the Hunger Games thinking it would be a couple more days!  I guess I am reading both now, LOL!

 


Oh, that's going to be hard! I read the Hunger Games series last year, and was actually surprised by how much I liked them! I hope you enjoy! But I don't think I'd be able to read them both at the same time... maybe because I really like to immerse myself in the world of The Hollows (I finished A Perfect Blood this weekend), and Hunger Games is polar opposite!  

 

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎07-22-2011

Re: What are you currently reading?

 

Started last night (hopefully to be done this in a few more days)....

 

Am Frantically trying to work my way through the series so get to A Perfect Blood (Which I am picking up this Friday at her Book Signing in Denver, am Sooooo Excited!)  WaaHoo.  :smileyvery-happy:

 

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
Posts: 2,075
Registered: ‎03-18-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


ThirstyFlea wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

Well wouldn't you know it...my copy of A Perfect Blood showed up today!!  :-D  But I just started the Hunger Games thinking it would be a couple more days!  I guess I am reading both now, LOL!

 


Oh, that's going to be hard! I read the Hunger Games series last year, and was actually surprised by how much I liked them! I hope you enjoy! But I don't think I'd be able to read them both at the same time... maybe because I really like to immerse myself in the world of The Hollows (I finished A Perfect Blood this weekend), and Hunger Games is polar opposite!  

 


LOL, oh I know...  I'm caught between a rock and a hard place now, LOL!  I've got Hunger Games with me today...maybe I'll switch each day...

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)  

OMG!  I am still reading A Game of Thrones, this book is definately not a light read!!! LOL.  I love it though and can't put it down.  I would of had it done by now, but didn't read for like a week.  I know what a bum (in my defense my boyfriend was deploying and I had to spend some quality time with him). 

 

 

 

Anyhoot, I should be done soon and then I can start A Perfect Blood!  Yea!!!! 

A Perfect Blood (Rachel Morgan Series #10)  

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Wordsmith
Paula717
Posts: 284
Registered: ‎12-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Read the Imortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole and loved it. Now working on the Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter and have added them to my list of all time favorites. What incredible reads! I don't want them to end. :smileyhappy:

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
Posts: 347
Registered: ‎01-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


SciFiCanuck wrote:

LOL, oh I know...  I'm caught between a rock and a hard place now, LOL!  I've got Hunger Games with me today...maybe I'll switch each day...


I don't get how all of you can read more than one book at a time!  I wouldn't be able to keep them straight.....or quit one to read a little of the other.  Once I get into a book, I can't put it down.  Who needs to eat or sleep when you are in the middle of a great book...  :smileyvery-happy:

 

I picked up the new Lords of the Underworld book today.  Finally Paris' story!  I may sneek this one in before A Perfect Blood, just so I don't have to lug the hardback to work to read during lunch.

The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld Series #9)  

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


FaeryQueen wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

LOL, oh I know...  I'm caught between a rock and a hard place now, LOL!  I've got Hunger Games with me today...maybe I'll switch each day...


I don't get how all of you can read more than one book at a time!  I wouldn't be able to keep them straight.....or quit one to read a little of the other.  Once I get into a book, I can't put it down.  Who needs to eat or sleep when you are in the middle of a great book...  :smileyvery-happy:

 

I picked up the new Lords of the Underworld book today.  Finally Paris' story!  I may sneek this one in before A Perfect Blood, just so I don't have to lug the hardback to work to read during lunch.

The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld Series #9)  


I try not to read more than one at a time, but sometimes if I have a book club read due or trying to beat a deadline it happens

I did a Q&A w/Gena Showalter if you'd like to see it click here

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
Posts: 308
Registered: ‎06-05-2010

Re: What are you currently reading?

I just finished my partial re-read of the last half of  Pale Demon (Rachel Morgan Series #9)  (the refresher was great! But more of you still need to finish A Perfect Blood so we can talk about it!!), and just started in on  Blood Song (Blood Singer Series #1)   since I bought the 3 books already! So far so good! 

 

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
Posts: 2,075
Registered: ‎03-18-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


FaeryQueen wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

LOL, oh I know...  I'm caught between a rock and a hard place now, LOL!  I've got Hunger Games with me today...maybe I'll switch each day...


I don't get how all of you can read more than one book at a time!  I wouldn't be able to keep them straight.....or quit one to read a little of the other.  Once I get into a book, I can't put it down.  Who needs to eat or sleep when you are in the middle of a great book...  :smileyvery-happy:

 

I picked up the new Lords of the Underworld book today.  Finally Paris' story!  I may sneek this one in before A Perfect Blood, just so I don't have to lug the hardback to work to read during lunch.

The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld Series #9)  



LOL, I know and I don't usually read more than one but I am DYING to read A Perfect Blood, but cannot put down The Hunger Games....  WOW...this book is riveting.  I wasn't sure if I would like it but now I just want to jump into the next 2 so I will probably continue reading along with APB, LOL!  I can't wait for the movie now!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Frequent Contributor
0198lilly
Posts: 59
Registered: ‎03-29-2010

Re: What are you currently reading?

By a Thread (Elemental Assassin Series #6)  Just finished Estep-By a Thread.  Was very good but seemed short in page length for some reason.

 

 

 

In the middle of H.P.Mallory latest. So far so good.

 

 

I can never get these covers and links where I want them on here, they just find there own spot. HeHe  Sorry!