Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

SciFiCanuck wrote:

angelcloud529 wrote:

Just finished:

A Perfect Blood (Rachel Morgan Series #10) 

I liked it, but thought the start was a little slower than her other books.  However, it really picked up and just kept going.  I really liked the second half of the book.  Now I have to wait until next year to find out what happens next in Rachel's life!!!!

Up Next:

Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin Series #2)  

I really like this series and can't wait to see what happens with Gin. 

****So I just got some bad "book" news and I just don't know what I'm going to do!

So I am deploying shortly...to a nice sandy place (and its not a tropical island) and due to this country's high music & movie pirating I am not going to be able to download anything from Amazon!  NOOOOO!  How am I going to read any books on my Kindle??? :smileysurprised:  I can't pack all my "real" books, I am only allowed 4 bags! :smileyembarrassed:  ******  Ok just needed to vent. 

Why don't you just download all your books before you go?  LOL  :-)

SciFi

Uhhh, that would be a great idea...but I don't think I have enough $$!!!! LOL.

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

I'm on page 182 of the 337 page 

Doubletake (Cal and Niko Series #7) There's a lot going on in this installment. The pucks have a N.Y. convention involving debauchery and a lottery to determine who will have to multiply; Niko's biological father appears out of nowhere; a big cat automaton is hunting Cal, Niko and all people of the Vayash clan and a psychotic killer is stalking Cal. Right now Cal, Niko and friends are seeking info on the automaton from a 'deadish' Hephaestus, apparently the character who gave rise to the greek myth.

The humor is good with a lot of clever one-liners from Cal. Also, the automaton, which has lava-like blood and an invincible metallic skin, is inventive. Further, Cal's secret stalker is interesting in a Hannibal Lector kind of way. The story is fun with some good action, but the narrative periodically slows for for Cal's internal ruminations and recollections. As a result, a new reader to the series could easily start with this book which literally explains everything; however, a fan of the series (like myself) could find the retelling of known information tedious. I have to say that periodically the narrative has been slowed by what's going on in Cal's head. Of course, I'm only 20 plus pages past the mid-point. It could change, and if it does I'll post a follow-up.  

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

I'm on page 182 of the 337 page 

Doubletake (Cal and Niko Series #7) There's a lot going on in this installment. The pucks have a N.Y. convention involving debauchery and a lottery to determine who will have to multiply; Niko's biological father appears out of nowhere; a big cat automaton is hunting Cal, Niko and all people of the Vayash clan and a psychotic killer is stalking Cal. Right now Cal, Niko and friends are seeking info on the automaton from a 'deadish' Hephaestus, apparently the character who gave rise to the greek myth.

The humor is good with a lot of clever one-liners from Cal. Also, the automaton, which has lava-like blood and an invincible metallic skin, is inventive. Further, Cal's secret stalker is interesting in a Hannibal Lector kind of way. The story is fun with some good action, but the narrative periodically slows for for Cal's internal ruminations and recollections. As a result, a new reader to the series could easily start with this book which literally explains everything; however, a fan of the series (like myself) could find the retelling of known information tedious. I have to say that periodically the narrative has been slowed by what's going on in Cal's head. Of course, I'm only 20 plus pages past the mid-point. It could change, and if it does I'll post a follow-up.  

This one is in my "to read" pile.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
3monstersmom

angelcloud529 wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

angelcloud529 wrote:

Just finished:

A Perfect Blood (Rachel Morgan Series #10) 

I liked it, but thought the start was a little slower than her other books.  However, it really picked up and just kept going.  I really liked the second half of the book.  Now I have to wait until next year to find out what happens next in Rachel's life!!!!

Up Next:

Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin Series #2)  

I really like this series and can't wait to see what happens with Gin. 

****So I just got some bad "book" news and I just don't know what I'm going to do!

So I am deploying shortly...to a nice sandy place (and its not a tropical island) and due to this country's high music & movie pirating I am not going to be able to download anything from Amazon!  NOOOOO!  How am I going to read any books on my Kindle??? :smileysurprised:  I can't pack all my "real" books, I am only allowed 4 bags! :smileyembarrassed:  ******  Ok just needed to vent. 

Stay safe over there and know that our thoughts are with you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

[ Edited ]

Alright I'm out of here!  I will be in touch!!!  Here are the books I loaded up on my Kindle in preparation for the long haul.  I burn through books quickly but I will be busy, plus I am going to be taking a lot of college courses too.

The entire Elemental Assassin Series

Discount Armageddon (Seanan McGuire)

Blood Song (Cat Adams) - not the whole series

Sandman Slim

The Hunger Games Series

Once Dead, Twice Shy (Kim Harrison) --- I'm going through Rachel Morgan withdrawals

The Iron King

Beautiful Creatures

Archon (Sabrina Benulis)

Falling (Christopher Pike)

**Audio-- Greywalker series and Fallen (Lauren Kate)

That's it!  Lets hope I can download new releases... See you on the flip side! 

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Will Be Thinking of You..angelcloud529 Will Miss Your Posts...Post if you Can....Susan VT
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
pen21

angelcloud529 wrote:

Alright I'm out of here!  I will be in touch!!!  Here are the books I loaded up on my Kindle in preparation for the long haul.  I burn through books quickly but I will be busy, plus I am going to be taking a lot of college courses too.

Sandman Slim

The Hunger Games Series

Once Dead, Twice Shy (Kim Harrison) --- I'm going through Rachel Morgan withdrawals

The Iron King

Beautiful Creatures

Archon (Sabrina Benulis)

Those are some good choices. Hope you can drop by once in awhile.

Stay Safe and thanks for all you do.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

angelcloud529 wrote:

Sandman Slim

The Hunger Games Series

The Iron King

Beautiful Creatures

Archon (Sabrina Benulis)

Oooooh good choices!!   Kim Harrison's YA series is excellent!  :-)  You will also love The Hunger Games...all 3 books are fabulous!  I am looking forward to the movie!!

Take care over there!  We'll be here when you get back!  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Frequent Contributor
Katie983

The Name of the Star 

The Girl in the Steel Corset 

Dearly, Departed    Here's what I just finished, what I'm currently reading and what I plan to read next:

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
New User
gylfie17

I'm currently in the middle of Scott Westerfield's Uglies series. The writing is for a range of audiences. I love the depth that is hidden in this book. It really gets you thinking about the mind and what makes someone a person. It's a great series and once you start reading it you definitely won't stop. I'm on the third book. Once I finish the fourth I plan to look up other works by this author.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Just finished A Perfect Blood...took a little while to get going but it ended well!  :-)  One thing I was wondering though...that guy standing behind her on the cover...I wonder if that's Wayde?

What I'm reading now...  WOW, another excellent read of the Elemental Assassin!!  Go GIN!

Up next!!  :-D

AND!!! 

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson

[ Edited ]

Right now I'm Reading...

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

I'm about half way through with Passion Unleashed (Demonica Series #3)  and am really loving this series! However, after this one I'm going to take a break on the series and read a few others- I'm getting impatient for something new again! I will go back to it though, no doubt! 

Question is, will I start the Elemental Assassin series next, or Divergent?!? Both at the top of my list.... yikes, I hate (and love!) this part... 

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger

I am reading and LOVING the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.  I just finished

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate Series #1)  and I am in the middle of 

Changeless (Parasol Protectorate Series #2) .  They are great.  Alexia is wonderfully witty and droll.  I also love hearing about and the reactions to Miss Ivy Hisselpenny's hats.  

pen21
0 Kudos

Fangbanger wrote:

I am reading and LOVING the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.  I just finished

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate Series #1)  and I am in the middle of 

Changeless (Parasol Protectorate Series #2) .  They are great.  Alexia is wonderfully witty and droll.  I also love hearing about and the reactions to Miss Ivy Hisselpenny's hats.  

This is a really good series. I bought the set of the first 3 books for my nook at a special price. And really enjoyed them. Hisselpenny's hats are great. I have the latest book and need to start reading it.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

ThirstyFlea wrote:

I'm about half way through with Passion Unleashed (Demonica Series #3)  and am really loving this series! However, after this one I'm going to take a break on the series and read a few others- I'm getting impatient for something new again! I will go back to it though, no doubt! 

Question is, will I start the Elemental Assassin series next, or Divergent?!? Both at the top of my list.... yikes, I hate (and love!) this part... 

Hey I've been wanting to read Divergent...it sounds really good!  Anyone else read it??  Oh read the EA books...they are great!!

Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

What?!  I just finished reading Changeless.  That was a crazy ending.  I am not sure how I feel about it because Conall's reaction seemed a little out of character.  It was a great cliffhanger though.  I happy that I can start reading the next book right away.  I can't imagine how anyone was able to stand the wait.  Wel, now I am moving on to Bl

Blameless (Parasol Protectorate Series #3)  

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

ThirstyFlea wrote:

Hey I've been wanting to read Divergent...it sounds really good!  Anyone else read it??  Oh read the EA books...they are great!!

As much as I'm dying to read the EA series, I think I'm in more of a "dystopian" mood right now, which I'm totally blaming on the Hunger Games movie release and my somewhat recent move to Chicago. So tonight I'm starting Divergent (Divergent Series #1) .

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I actually really liked Divergent! I remember reading it last spring....

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unabashedly-Bookish-The-BN/A-Dystopic-Duo-of-Dynamic-Debut-No...

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky