Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

dhaupt wrote:

Rebellion  

Oh Dhaupt, that looks really good.  I'm curious to see what you think when you are done.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
dhaupt

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Rebellion  

Oh Dhaupt, that looks really good.  I'm curious to see what you think when you are done.

I'll let you know Melhay, but just a taste as my review belongs to another :smileyhappy:

but here's what I thought of the first in the trilogy:

Vengeance  

VENGEANCE 
by Ian Irvine

Genre: FantasyGeneral Fantasy

RT Rating

Book One in the Tainted Realm series by Irvine uses his vast love of, and experience in, fantasy and science to bring us the first of another epic adventure in magery, magic, violence and hope. Irvine uses an imaginative and dynamic narrative that comes alive for readers. He gives us the story in bits and doses, where the battles are deadly and where his characters will rule the pages, where his readers will long for answers they’ll have to wait for.

A millennium ago, 144 children were betrayed by their own and used as the spoils of war. Their descendants have been enslaved, until a seemingly insignificant slave girl escapes Cython — fulfilling a prophecy she knew nothing about — to return to her ancestral home of Hightspall where history paints a very different past. As she blindly goes about changing the future she makes both friends and enemies, bringing down great houses and unleashing forces that have been locked away for eons. But there’s more at work here than a clever enemy with unstoppable weapons, this battle has been planned and schemed by an invisible menace whose memory is long and whose only thought is for vengeance. (ORBIT, Apr., 688 pp.,$14.99)

Reviewed By: Debbie Haupt

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I'll let you know Melhay, but just a taste as my review belongs to another :smileyhappy:

but here's what I thought of the first in the trilogy:

Vengeance  

VENGEANCE 
by Ian Irvine

Genre: FantasyGeneral Fantasy

RT Rating

Book One in the Tainted Realm series by Irvine uses his vast love of, and experience in, fantasy and science to bring us the first of another epic adventure in magery, magic, violence and hope. Irvine uses an imaginative and dynamic narrative that comes alive for readers. He gives us the story in bits and doses, where the battles are deadly and where his characters will rule the pages, where his readers will long for answers they’ll have to wait for.

A millennium ago, 144 children were betrayed by their own and used as the spoils of war. Their descendants have been enslaved, until a seemingly insignificant slave girl escapes Cython — fulfilling a prophecy she knew nothing about — to return to her ancestral home of Hightspall where history paints a very different past. As she blindly goes about changing the future she makes both friends and enemies, bringing down great houses and unleashing forces that have been locked away for eons. But there’s more at work here than a clever enemy with unstoppable weapons, this battle has been planned and schemed by an invisible menace whose memory is long and whose only thought is for vengeance. (ORBIT, Apr., 688 pp.,$14.99)

Reviewed By: Debbie Haupt

Oh dang Debbie!  I do think I need this one now. LOL! Thank you!! 

Frequent Contributor
Katie983

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making  

Spellcrossed  

Redshirts  Here's what I just finished, what I'm currently reading and what I plan to read next:

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

Cold Days (Dresden Files Series #14) 

Currently reading:

Cold Days (Harry Dresden)

So far it is freaking awesome!!!!!

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

angelcloud529 wrote:

Currently reading:

I need to get back to the Dresden series. I am so far behind and it is such a good series. I just finished Howling Legion. A series I can't believe I didn't read sooner. This second book of the series just blew me away. I definitely recommend these.

Howling Legion (Skinners Series #2)  

Bibliophile
Melhay

I didn't think I was going to pick anything up with the holiday, and the crazy running with family and holiday stuff.  But I did.  I'm halfway through it and basically started it yesterday.  It's a good mystery with modernized fairytale characters, and they are ALL grown up. :smileywink:

RED  

Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

Spellcrossed  

Redshirts  

Dead Reckoning  Here's what I just finished, what I'm currently reading and what I plan to read next:

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
pen21
0 Kudos

I finished Lullaby over the Holidays. What a fun, dark series about sirens. Hocking made a great transition to St. Martins press from being self published ebook author.

Tidal the third book in the series will be coming out in June, 2013.

Lullaby (Watersong Series #2)  

Tidal  

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

[ Edited ]

Just finished: 

Iced (Dani O'Malley Series #1)  

This book was awesome! I have missed the Fever series so much and KMM did not disappoint! The only thing I wished was that Dani was older... I also can't decide on who I like more... Ryo, Dancer or Christian! :smileyhappy: they are all sooo different. 

I also just finished: 

This latest HD novel was great too! Oh and what an ending!! 

Why do we have to wait two long for the next books in these two series?!?! :smileysad: 

i am finally reading: 

Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane Series #5)  

so far so good... I hope Sabina gets her HEA!! 

Reader
MaryEllen_Fink

Right now I'm working on "Sweet Venom" by Tera Lynn Childs.  So far it's a good read if it continues to be a good read I might just have to get the second one "Sweet Shadows"

pen21
0 Kudos

MaryEllen_Fink wrote:

Right now I'm working on "Sweet Venom" by Tera Lynn Childs.  So far it's a good read if it continues to be a good read I might just have to get the second one "Sweet Shadows"

I am reading Sweet Venom too. It really is good so far.

Sweet Venom (Sweet Venom Series #1)  

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

angelcloud529 wrote:

Currently reading:

DITTO!!  I LOVED it.  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

pen21 wrote:

angelcloud529 wrote:

Currently reading:

I need to get back to the Dresden series. I am so far behind and it is such a good series. I just finished Howling Legion. A series I can't believe I didn't read sooner. This second book of the series just blew me away. I definitely recommend these.

Howling Legion (Skinners Series #2)  

Yep and that Skinners series only gets better!!!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
paulgoatallen

pen21 wrote:

MaryEllen_Fink wrote:

I am reading Sweet Venom too. It really is good so far.

Sweet Venom (Sweet Venom Series #1)  

Cool cover art!
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria

Mark Del Franco

Face Off (Laura Blackstone Series)  

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Frequent Contributor
Katie983

Redshirts  

Dead Reckoning  

Silver  Here's what I just finished, what I'm currently reading, and what I plan to read next:

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

Just finished: 

Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane Series #5)  

wow what a finish to this series... JW finished this one nicely!! I am gonna miss Sabina, G and Adam... :smileysad: 

Currently reading: 

Discount Armageddon (InCryptid Series #1)  

i just started so I don't know how it is yet... I love the Toby Daye series so hopefully this one is just as good!!! 

pen21

angelcloud529 wrote:

Currently reading: 

Discount Armageddon (InCryptid Series #1)  

i just started so I don't know how it is yet... I love the Toby Daye series so hopefully this one is just as good!!! 

I loved the Toby Daye series. And I loved this book just as much. Come back to let us know what you think of it.

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

Wasn't a big fan of Discount.  Couldn't warm up to the main.

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books