Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unfortunately I couldn't finish Immortal Lycanthropes. I had trouble following the storyline because the author kept getting sidetracked into so much backstory I got bored and had to quit. When "pleasure reading" becomes more like a homework assignment, it's time to move onto something else. So here's what I'm reading now:

Full Blooded  

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Bibliophile
Melhay

I'm really not sure where to class this one. lol.  I'm over half way at this point, but it's got a great blend of magic with a touch of steampunk in a Victorian era feel world.  I'm enjoying the mystery and the blend of Urban Fantasy/Fantasy magic and what I'm meeting here.

The Iron Wyrm Affair (Bannon and Clare Series #1)  

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Katie983 wrote:

Unfortunately I couldn't finish Immortal Lycanthropes. I had trouble following the storyline because the author kept getting sidetracked into so much backstory I got bored and had to quit. When "pleasure reading" becomes more like a homework assignment, it's time to move onto something else. So here's what I'm reading now:

Full Blooded  

I know the feeling about the reading becoming homework.  Do hope you enjoy Full Blooded as much as I did Katie983.

Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

I did enjoy it! I can't wait for the second one! Here's what I'm reading now and what I plan to read next: 

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #13)  

The Brides of Rollrock Island  

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Katie983 wrote:

I did enjoy it! I can't wait for the second one! Here's what I'm reading now and what I plan to read next: 

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #13)  

The Brides of Rollrock Island  

So glad to hear it!! :smileyhappy: Hot Blooded is amazing, full of action and Jessica learning so much (with us). :smileywink:  I'd not heard of The Brides of Rollrock Island, so hope you enjoy it. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

So, I just finished 

Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts Series #5).  It was so good.  Seriously, more people need to read this series.  Kane is producing some of the best urban fantasy out there right now.  Some of the passages she wrote were gut wrenching, they made my heart hurt.  The characterization is just so strong.  I can't recommend this series enough.  It's going to be an excruciating wait for the next book.

I just started 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I finished Hot Blooded. What a great book! Carlson keeps the pace of the book really moving. Very hard to put down.:smileyvery-happy:

Hot Blooded  

Bibliophile
Melhay

pen21 wrote:

I finished Hot Blooded. What a great book! Carlson keeps the pace of the book really moving. Very hard to put down.:smileyvery-happy:

Hot Blooded  

Yeah Pen!!!

So glad you enjoyed it. :smileyhappy: I absolutely loved this one, thought it was better than the first.  Really opens up the world and we learn a lot about Jessica here.  Some were bothered that Rourke wasn't in this one, but I think it was well expected and needed to get Jessica to be who and where she needs to be.

pen21

Melhay wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Hot Blooded  

Yeah Pen!!!

So glad you enjoyed it. :smileyhappy: I absolutely loved this one, thought it was better than the first.  Really opens up the world and we learn a lot about Jessica here.  Some were bothered that Rourke wasn't in this one, but I think it was well expected and needed to get Jessica to be who and where she needs to be.

I liked that this book concentrated on Jessica. She has so much to learn about who she is. There is so many things for this series to explore.

Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

Its apparently a young-adult fantasy romance novel but the story sounded interesting so that's what I'm reading now. I really enjoyed Dead Ever After and I was left with mixed feelings. I couldn't put it down and once I finished reading it, I was happy for Sookie but also kind of sad because its the last book in the series. After I finish reading Brides, here's what I plan to read after that:

Stormdancer  

Fangbanger

So, earlier this week, I finished 

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #13).  I have really mixed feelings about.  I liked it for the most part, but there were some things that bugged me.  The biggest thing was probably that since there is a novella coming out in the fall, it didn't really feel like an ending.  There was no sense of finality.  I did start a thread for people who want to talk about the book.  Feel free to post about it here http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/Dead-Ever-After-thread/m-p/1455447#U...  There will be spoilers, so heads up.

Now, I am reading

Taken (Alex Verus Series #3).  I am really taking a shine to Alex Verus and he helps tide me over during the long wait between Dresden Files books.  After I finish Taken I will move on to reading 

Grave Memory (Alex Craft Series #3).  

pen21
0 Kudos

Fangbanger wrote:

So, earlier this week, I finished 

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #13).  I have really mixed feelings about.  I liked it for the most part, but there were some things that bugged me.  The biggest thing was probably that since there is a novella coming out in the fall, it didn't really feel like an ending.  There was no sense of finality.  I did start a thread for people who want to talk about the book.  Feel free to post about it here http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/Dead-Ever-After-thread/m-p/1455447#U...  There will be spoilers, so heads up.

Now, I am reading

Taken (Alex Verus Series #3).  I am really taking a shine to Alex Verus and he helps tide me over during the long wait between Dresden Files books.  After I finish Taken I will move on to reading 

Grave Memory (Alex Craft Series #3).  

I didn't know that Charlaine Harris is doing a novella. That kind of defeats the purpose of a final book. That makes me wonder.

I like the Alex Verus series and I am waiting for the next one.

Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

Just finished Brides of Rollrock Island. The story was good, but slow in some parts but I managed to finish it and now I'm reading: 

Circus  

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

So excited for this one...just picked it up yesterday but I'm gonna "try" and be good, and finish the one I'm currently reading first, lol.

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

I just finished reading 

Taken (Alex Verus Series #3).  It was very good.  It was really fast paced and hard to put down.  When I first started reading this series, I was afraid that it was just going to be a Dresden Files knockoff set in London, but Jacka really found his own voice quickly and I am happy that he is beefing up the supporting cast.  I'm excited for the next book in the series.

Next, I'm continuing playing catch up and finally reading

Grave Memory (Alex Craft Series #3).  This is another series that sort of took me by surprise initially.  I devoured the first two and am excited to head back to Nekros City.

After I finish Grave Magic, my plan is to start reading 

Gunmetal Magic.  I'm pretty excited.  An Andrea story and a Kate novella.  Ilona Andrews loves me.  It's official.

pen21

I am continuing in the Anita Blake Series. This book was awesome. I still can't believe I waited so long to read this series. But it is good to know that there is another excellent book waiting for me as I finish the one I am reading.

Bloody Bones (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series #5)  

pen21

I hate to see this series end. The last book in one of my favorite series is always hard for me to read. But Peeler does an excellent job. All 6 books stand out.

Tempest Reborn  

Frequent Contributor
Katie983

Just finished Circus. Like most short story collections, there were some I liked more than others, but found the book overall to be fascinating in each author's take on a common theme and whether to make it the central theme to the story or to have it in the background.

Circus  

Frequent Contributor
Katie983

Here's what I'm reading now. I love Asian culture and history and I really love how the author combined that along with the steampunk/elemental genre. I can't wait to read this!

Stormdancer  

pen21

Fourth Grave is fun paranormal. Charley and Reyes are back in a great fourth book. I am glad I got caught up in the series. The fifth book is out in July.

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson Series #4)