Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
WendyLBastaltane
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Vermontcozy wrote:

Dismantled  Currently readng :smileyvery-happy:ismantled" Author Jennifer McMahon..I read"Promise Not to Tell."by Her as well..Great books,if you are into The Paranormal /Mystery and wonderful stories..Just received 'Tempest Rising"and "Tracking The Tempest"BN was quick to ship,I am excited to start This Series.....Jennifer McMahon is visiting on The Mystery Board, today ,because Becke our Moderator invited her..She has many fans..IMO..Jennifer's books,are Mystery/Paranormal..and I can't wait to chat with her..So come over and do a litle Lurking around..Jennifer McMahon..is worth  looking into..Susan....

I'm already interested.  Vermontcozy, can you give me more information on this book?  Can you tell me more?  I think I will buy it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

WendyLBastaltane wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

largerthanlife wrote:

Got a lot to do in the last week or so, and in consequence my reading has been shoved to the side.  I am however working my way thru Bloody Good by Georgia Evans at the moment.  I'm about half way thru and it it rather good.  The constant switch between character voices is annoying, but that is just one of my pet peeves and has nothing really to do with the book as a whole.

Good series, kind of a cozy type feel to it.

TiggerBear, Cozy feel?  What do you mean?  Explain?  i'm already interested...

You know the feeling you get when reading an Agatha Christie mystery or something similar, those are called cozies. The whole series feels very much like cozy vampire mysteries.

Frequent Contributor
WendyLBastaltane
0 Kudos

This one is hard to decide on!  I have to go with...I have to go with the masked-psycho-killer.  He's definitely not the prey!!!  :-D

MrsWaki wrote:

My question?

So, have we agreed on a side?  Who actually is the prey in this thing?

Edison43 wrote:

I highly recommend Encounter at North Road House.  When a masked, unbeatable psycho-killer enters a house to take more lives, the house that he enters is haunted by inhuman creatures and ghosts, who shut him in. 

The masked-psycho thought he was moving on another ordinary house - but what he enters into is a haunted realm.  The best thing about this book is who is the predator and who is the prey?  This one just came out and highly recommended.

VickiMasterMind wrote:

North Road House Characteristics:
- North Road House ultimately hosts devious ghosts, scaly creatures, malicious spirits, esoteric phenomenon, unexplainable, merciless brutality on victims, and a wicked spirit man 
- North Road House is an absolute terror house.  Once a person or thing enters this house, there is absolutely no escape.
- North Road House is an inescapable domain filled with undescribable horror, in which there is no escape for victims, whether dead or alive, no matter if one thinks he or she escaped by running or moving to a location far away

The masked, faceless invincible killer's Characteristics:
- The masked, faceless killer uses physical killing force with a long blade
- Has impenetrable abilities where he virtually cannot be killed
- Has the ability to never allow his victims to hear him coming
- He is slightly capable of being somewhat supernatural in his movements.

TiggerBear

SciFiCanuck wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:

Had a small breakdown/tantrum staring at my TBR pile last night trying to figure out what to read and planning how many books I can read before the 20th (payday).  All my spawn are seeing the dentist this week and the cost is cutting into my book buying budget.  (Darn monsters wanting human looking teeth) Have to wait for payday to buy the books I need for July.  Every time I see a comment about how wonderful Adrian Phoenix's Black Dust Mambo is I go into B & N withdrawal shakes.    I wonder if hubby will notice I have a problem if I start scouring the house for scrap metal to sell for books?  :smileytongue::smileyvery-happy::smileywink:

LOL, you are too funny!  I finally got the reasonining behind the name now.  :-)  LOL  My friend used to call her daughter TROLL since she was a little tiny baby.  It always made me laugh.  That's a good idea though, sell stuff so we can have money to buy books.  I think maybe I can get a good price for my daughter on the black market...she's a red head.  LMAO!!  She's 21 years old so I don't think she would be impressed, hahaha!

I can't seem to get to the TBR books I've had for over a year on my shelf...new releases of series's I've read keep coming out.  Maybe I need to stop reading new book 1's of a series?  But you know that's not going to happen.  Oh the dilema.....

Now see that's where you go wrong.:smileytongue: New releases go on the bottom or to the middle of the TBR que. I've got 5 authors I'll let jump line, but anything else is bedlam.:smileywink:

LOL, yeah like I would be able to do that...  I abolustely HAVE to read the new releases when they come out because I'm usually DYING to read them.  :-)

Good things come to those who wait. :smileytongue:Case in point. Not only did I read (while skipping spoilers) the thread first for this book. I also waited till the next in the series came out to buy it. So while I wait for my copy of

Blood Law  to get here. Expected arrival is monday at the earliest.

I get to finally sit down and enjoy the book that I allowed to mature in my TBR pile.

Rosemary and Rue  Ripping great book BTW. Waiting hasn't made it any less enjoyable. Even though I read 28 other books after I bought my copy, before I cracked it. And the second one is right there waiting for me.:smileywink:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

WendyLBastaltane wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Dismantled  Currently readng :smileyvery-happy:ismantled" Author Jennifer McMahon..I read"Promise Not to Tell."by Her as well..Great books,if you are into The Paranormal /Mystery and wonderful stories..Just received 'Tempest Rising"and "Tracking The Tempest"BN was quick to ship,I am excited to start This Series.....Jennifer McMahon is visiting on The Mystery Board, today ,because Becke our Moderator invited her..She has many fans..IMO..Jennifer's books,are Mystery/Paranormal..and I can't wait to chat with her..So come over and do a litle Lurking around..Jennifer McMahon..is worth  looking into..Susan....

I'm already interested.  Vermontcozy, can you give me more information on this book?  Can you tell me more?  I think I will buy it.

Why don't you come here

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/bd-p/MysteryGen

and join in the conversation with the author, it's her week over in Mystery.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

IMO Rosemary and Rue is simply a captivating supernatural mystery. I also really liked the follow-up A Local Habitation. I love the series.

Wanted to take a break from gritty supernatural stories, so I'm reading

Garden Spells. Actually, I got the hardcover version at the clearance price, but I can't find it in the Add Product search. Perhaps inclusion of the hardcover in the B&N clearance sale resulted in it being sold out? 

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

You know the feeling you get when reading an Agatha Christie mystery or something similar, those are called cozies. The whole series feels very much like cozy vampire mysteries.

Bloody Good is the closest thing I have found to the Sookie Stackhouse novels. And not just because of the cover, either. I still haven't read the follow-ups, but I expect to like them.

FYI, Georgia Evans is Rosemary Laurey's pseudonym for more fantasy crossover work.

Derek Tatum
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Bloody Good is the closest thing I have found to the Sookie Stackhouse novels. And not just because of the cover, either. I still haven't read the follow-ups, but I expect to like them.

FYI, Georgia Evans is Rosemary Laurey's pseudonym for more fantasy crossover work.

1-3 are all good.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Promise Not to Tell  

Island of Lost Girls  Glad TBear posted Jennifer McMahon"s    thread.As your know its set in VT..and its extremely thrilling,and questioning yourself,for me at least,What if?.....Jennifer is a brilliant storyteller..I really won't say much else,I am almost to the end..Some other readers have finished "Dismantled"A few of us also read "Promise not toTell"   before Dismantled,which immediately had me wanting all of her books...have not read "Island of Lost Girls"..yet.Her next book due out , I believe March 2011"Don't Breathe A Word".Wendy have a look at her Board,and she might be back today....Her books were highly recommended by a close Reader friend here on BN..She never disappoints.'she has also read" Island of Lost Girls",my next book TBR...by Jennifer.Can't wait to hear what you thought.about her books..Another Book by Jennifer is .."My Tiki Girl"  Susan..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
New User
EireannFae
0 Kudos

How far are you into the series? The new one comes out next month...Dark Peril :smileywink:

Happiness is...a full bookshelf.
New User
sassysan
0 Kudos

I just finished the Keri Arthur...Riley Jensen series. The last book, Moon Sworn, was the best. I'm now moving on to Kim Harrison's....Rachel Morgan series. I hope it's a good choice?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

sassysan wrote:

I just finished the Keri Arthur...Riley Jensen series. The last book, Moon Sworn, was the best. I'm now moving on to Kim Harrison's....Rachel Morgan series. I hope it's a good choice?

The best paranormal fantasy saga out there right now – unarguably #1. you'll love it – and know that every new installment gets better...

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

GutterVamp wrote:

New guy here, so hello to everybody!  Hope to have many happy conversations with you guys.  Anywhoo...

I just finished up Kitty Goes To War by Carrie Vaughn last night -- yet another consistent tale of werewolf tomfoolery, and one that presents some interesting developments for the future.  For my money, Kitty's got to be one of the most likable and authentic characters I've read in quite a while.

I have yet to be disappointed by the ever-capable Miss Vaughn... great stuff, as always!

Planning on getting into Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane next.  It was recommended to me by one Lord Ruthven -- frequenter of this forum -- and I'm looking forward to it!

I loved Kitty goes to War...and I loved all of Carrie's books in this series.  They ROCK!  :-)  Good to see another fan!  Oh and welcome!  Glad to have you join us!  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

WendyLBastaltane wrote:

Finally decided on Marjorie M Liu's The Iron Hunt. Have heard good things about this series, so I am excited to start it. The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss Series #1)

Yeppers!!  This series is VERY good indeed.  :-)  Happy reading!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

VtCozy Wrote....In the middle of "Tempest Rising"Nicole Peeler,have "Tracking the Tempest" to start next..Liking this series..alot  I finished "Dismantled "By Jennifer McMahon,and "Promise not to Tell "by J.McMahon;;IMO She is paranormal/mystery// writer with a very fine line..She does keep you on your toes and plays well with my thirst for phychological, what if's?  Can this be.happening?...I think she is a brilliant writer....PGA , Have you ever read any of her books?Thanks  Susan.. 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

paulgoatallen wrote:

sassysan wrote:

The best paranormal fantasy saga out there right now – unarguably #1. you'll love it – and know that every new installment gets better...

Paul

Paul is absolutely right...GREAT series!!!  :-D

Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

REading a few books right now.  Deadtown  keeps getting kicked down the list. I am a quarter through and stalled a bit, but not bad.  The world is just starting to jel for me. 

Just finished Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts Series #1)  ,  a book I thought kind of drug at the beginning and then suddenly half way through came into focus, and the people started breathing, and the action was popping and wow.  Really liked it. 

Now reading Vanished (Greywalker Series #4)  been waiting to get to this a while, but I kept forgeting to order it.  Yea!  Just in time for the next in the series. 

Dude, Where's my book!
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

TiggerBear wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:

Had a small breakdown/tantrum staring at my TBR pile last night trying to figure out what to read and planning how many books I can read before the 20th (payday).  All my spawn are seeing the dentist this week and the cost is cutting into my book buying budget.  (Darn monsters wanting human looking teeth) Have to wait for payday to buy the books I need for July.  Every time I see a comment about how wonderful Adrian Phoenix's Black Dust Mambo is I go into B & N withdrawal shakes.    I wonder if hubby will notice I have a problem if I start scouring the house for scrap metal to sell for books?  :smileytongue::smileyvery-happy::smileywink:

LOL, you are too funny!  I finally got the reasonining behind the name now.  :-)  LOL  My friend used to call her daughter TROLL since she was a little tiny baby.  It always made me laugh.  That's a good idea though, sell stuff so we can have money to buy books.  I think maybe I can get a good price for my daughter on the black market...she's a red head.  LMAO!!  She's 21 years old so I don't think she would be impressed, hahaha!

I can't seem to get to the TBR books I've had for over a year on my shelf...new releases of series's I've read keep coming out.  Maybe I need to stop reading new book 1's of a series?  But you know that's not going to happen.  Oh the dilema.....

Now see that's where you go wrong.:smileytongue: New releases go on the bottom or to the middle of the TBR que. I've got 5 authors I'll let jump line, but anything else is bedlam.:smileywink:

LOL, yeah like I would be able to do that...  I abolustely HAVE to read the new releases when they come out because I'm usually DYING to read them.  :-)

Good things come to those who wait. :smileytongue:Case in point. Not only did I read (while skipping spoilers) the thread first for this book. I also waited till the next in the series came out to buy it. So while I wait for my copy of

Blood Law  to get here. Expected arrival is monday at the earliest.

I get to finally sit down and enjoy the book that I allowed to mature in my TBR pile.

Rosemary and Rue  Ripping great book BTW. Waiting hasn't made it any less enjoyable. Even though I read 28 other books after I bought my copy, before I cracked it. And the second one is right there waiting for me.:smileywink:

Well...  :smileytongue:  :smileytongue:  :smileytongue: 

LOL

Yep mature adult, that's me!

Frequent Contributor
JohnnyAnderson
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Promise Not to Tell  

Island of Lost Girls  Glad TBear posted Jennifer McMahon"s    thread.As your know its set in VT..and its extremely thrilling,and questioning yourself,for me at least,What if?.....Jennifer is a brilliant storyteller..I really won't say much else,I am almost to the end..Some other readers have finished "Dismantled"A few of us also read "Promise not toTell"   before Dismantled,which immediately had me wanting all of her books...have not read "Island of Lost Girls"..yet.Her next book due out , I believe March 2011"Don't Breathe A Word".Wendy have a look at her Board,and she might be back today....Her books were highly recommended by a close Reader friend here on BN..She never disappoints.'she has also read" Island of Lost Girls",my next book TBR...by Jennifer.Can't wait to hear what you thought.about her books..Another Book by Jennifer is .."My Tiki Girl"  Susan..

-Born to read stuff- :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
JohnnyAnderson
0 Kudos

I can't argue with that

paulgoatallen wrote:

sassysan wrote:

Paul

-Born to read stuff- :smileyhappy: