Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Teresa wrote

PhyllisJ wrote:

I finished Green Eyed Demon on Sunday.  I loved it.  I want to start Pale Demon but I think I am going to read This Side of the Grave first.  It has been so long since I have visited Cat and Bones world.  :smileywink:

*GASP*  What??  LOL  I couldn't wait to get into Pale Demon..  Don't you know we're supposed to read the same books at the same time??  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic

LOL,  I haven't started This Side of The Grave yet,   I decided to read Pale Demon first :smileywink:  but I am taking a quick re-read of Black Magic Sanction.  My TBR pile is seriously out of wrack.  :smileysurprised:

Phyllis
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Angelcloud wrote

SciFiCanuck wrote:

PhyllisJ wrote:

I finished Green Eyed Demon on Sunday.  I loved it.  I want to start Pale Demon but I think I am going to read This Side of the Grave first.  It has been so long since I have visited Cat and Bones world.  :smileywink:

*GASP*  What??  LOL  I couldn't wait to get into Pale Demon..  Don't you know we're supposed to read the same books at the same time??  :-)

I haven't read any Jeaniene Frost books... any good?

Hi angelcloud529,  yes, the books are very good.  I love the series.

Phyllis
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote

PhyllisJ wrote:

Once you read This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress Series #5), I'd really appreciate it if you post your impressions of the book. After Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress Series #4) I got the feeling that the series was slowly on the wane. Further, although the book is very popular and the majority of the reader reviews are five stars, some are less enthusiastic as follows:

Posted March 9, 2011, 11:43 AM EST: This is my least favorite of the Night Huntress series. The story unfolded very slowly and seemed to drag on. I found myself reaching for other books between chapters and struggled to pick it up again. I have enjoyed the other books in the series, but didn't really care for this one. If you enjoyed the others and want to keep up with the story, you'll have to read this one too. But it was not an enjoyable experience.

Customer Rating

Posted March 2, 2011, 2:14 PM EST: First let me say that I am a huge fan of this series. I have read all the books several times and have fallen in love with all the characters. Like most, I was anxious for this next installment. This has a good story line but lacked some of the sexual tension, playfulness and snarky comments that the previous books had between the two main characters, Cat and Bones. Don't get me wrong, I still liked the book and will continue to read the series hoping Jeaniene Frost will bring back some of what I love about these characters. I'm also anxious to see if she continues her Night Huntress World series. I would love to read some stories dedicated to Ian, Tepesh and Tate. Still recommend the series

Customer Rating

Posted March 5, 2011, 1:37 PM EST: Highly recommended... but could have been longer.. Of course. The ending was too short, need a little more closure, but overall a good read.

Customer Rating

Posted February 27, 2011, 4:52 PM EST: I love all of Jeaniene Frost's books except this one, had to force my way through it. Although a showdown in Disney was stretching it a bit for me in her last book. Maybe it was too much time between Cat and Bones books, who knows. Just too much inner monologue and somebody is always trying to kill Cat. Can't believe I paid for this. Sorry Jeaniene, I just know you have done better.

Hi Dalnewt, that is a mixed bag of reviews.  I will be sure to let you know what I think of This Side of the Grave. 

Phyllis
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

PhyllisJ wrote:

please explain cat and bones  world .. to whom or what series are you refering?:smileysad:

Hi Kimba88

Cat and Bones are 2 wonderful characters that are part of the Night Huntress series - This Side of the Grave is the 5th book in the series.  Cat is half human, half vampire.  Bones is a vampire. 

Phyllis
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

So I was in the bookstore on the weekend and they had an extra 20% off fiction...so of course I had to get something.  LOL  Picked up Under Wraps and the first book in Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series. 

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Just discovered this series (the author has written some episodes of DR. WHO) - I liked the first book so much I just picked up the second, too. The first was originally published in England under a different title (Rivers of London, I think):

Midnight Riot 

Moon Over Soho

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

This weekend I finished

Late Eclipses (October Daye Series #4) 

This book was outstanding!!!! It is the best in this series so far. I am so glad that the next book comes out in Sept. 2011.

now Im reading

Dragon Wytch (Sisters of the Moon Series #4) 

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Reader 4
Redma71
0 Kudos

Helllo all, I'm reading the third book from the Immortals after dark series by Kresley Cole and the fifth book from Lydia Dare. These are both series and really great reads and time fillers until JR Ward's Lover Unleashed comes out the 29th of this month (March).

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

I just finished Defending Angels. This is the first in the Beaufort and Company Series by Mary Stanton. I would describe this book as a tall glass of mystery with a twist of paranormal. If you like mysteries (which I do) and are unsure of paranormal this is a great way to get your feet wet.

I am going to begin reading :

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #1) 

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fallen Angel

Happy Reading :smileywink:

My Book Giveaways

http://www.darkangel88.com/

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
0 Kudos

Finishing up

River Marked (Mercy Thompson Series #6) 

Started slow, but it definately picked up and is keeping my interest.  I miss all the normal characters though.

Started reading

Changes (Dresden Files Series #12) 

Wow, what an opening line!

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Wordsmith
Sarah3973

[ Edited ]

Just finished:

Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) :

Just started:

Torn (Trylle Trilogy, #2)

This is a fun series- and the books are super fast reads.  Can't wait to start book 3!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen

I just finished this:

The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey Series #2) 

Not sure what to read next....I've got Paranormalacy, Personal Demons, The Candidate, and The Iron THorn in my stack and the Vespertine and Enclave on the way....

~Suzi

Correspondent
wyntermoon

I am beginning this series.  I have seen it a bunch of times, but never got around to it until now

Daughter of The Blood (Black Jewels Series #1) 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

pen21 wrote:

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Beautiful Outfit. pen,..You will look so Amazing!!!.Perfect for "Pole Dancing"At The St Patricks Day Party" At "The Cave"...Private Club for members of PGA's Boards...Now I need an Outfit..Will go to The "Boutique"....pen and I rented a Bus..Will pick everyone up.....Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dalnewt

pen21 wrote:

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Top of the mornin!

Here's some facts: 

Saint Patrick's Day (Irish: Lá Fhéile Pádraig) is a religious holiday celebrated internationally on 17 March. It is named after Saint Patrick (c. AD 387–461), the most commonly recognised of the patron saints of Ireland. It is observed by the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion (especially the Church of Ireland),[1] the Eastern Orthodox Church and Lutherans. Saint Patrick's Day was made an official feast day in the early 17th century, and has gradually become a celebration of Irish culture in general.[2]

The day is generally characterised by the attendance of church services, wearing of green attire (especially shamrocks), and the lifting of Lenten restrictions on fasting and drinking, which is often proscribed during the rest of the season.[3][4][5][6]

Saint Patrick's Day is a public holiday in the Republic of Ireland,[7] Northern Ireland,[8] Newfoundland and Labrador and in Montserrat. It is also widely celebrated by the Irish diaspora, especially in places such as the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States, Argentina, Australia, and New Zealand, among others.

Wearing of the green

Originally, the colour associated with Saint Patrick was blue. Over the years the colour green and its association with Saint Patrick's day grew.[10] Green ribbons and shamrocks were worn in celebration of St Patrick's Day as early as the 17th century.[11] He is said to have used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pagan Irish, and the wearing and display of shamrocks and shamrock-inspired designs have become a ubiquitous feature of the day.[12][13] In the 1798 rebellion, in hopes of making a political statement, Irish soldiers wore full green uniforms on 17 March in hopes of catching public attention.[10] The phrase "the wearing of the green", meaning to wear a shamrock on one's clothing, derives from a song of the same name.

Green and the Irish

The Celts called their idea of heaven "Green Erin" a nickname eventually given to Ireland.

Green is the symbolic color of St. Patrick's Day because of his ministry as the 2nd Bishop to Ireland, also known as the "Emerald Isle" due to the lush ground cover of clover over the entire country, and because of Patrick's creation of the Order of the Green martyrs-those who were missionaries to Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Briton. St. Patrick was also known for being the first to use the Irish 3 leaf clover, also called the Shamrock, or Tri-foil, as an illustration of the doctrine of the Trinity.

pen21

paulgoatallen

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky