Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Ok, that's easy.  Let's put it this way.  The masked-psycho-killer is not the prey!!! 

:smileyvery-happy:

WendyLBastaltane wrote:
This one is hard to decide on!  I have to go with...I have to go with the masked-psycho-killer.  He's definitely not the prey!!!  :-D

MrsWaki wrote:

My question?

So, have we agreed on a side?  Who actually is the prey in this thing?

Edison43 wrote:

I highly recommend Encounter at North Road House.  When a masked, unbeatable psycho-killer enters a house to take more lives, the house that he enters is haunted by inhuman creatures and ghosts, who shut him in. 

The masked-psycho thought he was moving on another ordinary house - but what he enters into is a haunted realm.  The best thing about this book is who is the predator and who is the prey?  This one just came out and highly recommended.

VickiMasterMind wrote:

North Road House Characteristics:
- North Road House ultimately hosts devious ghosts, scaly creatures, malicious spirits, esoteric phenomenon, unexplainable, merciless brutality on victims, and a wicked spirit man 
- North Road House is an absolute terror house.  Once a person or thing enters this house, there is absolutely no escape.
- North Road House is an inescapable domain filled with undescribable horror, in which there is no escape for victims, whether dead or alive, no matter if one thinks he or she escaped by running or moving to a location far away

The masked, faceless invincible killer's Characteristics:
- The masked, faceless killer uses physical killing force with a long blade
- Has impenetrable abilities where he virtually cannot be killed
- Has the ability to never allow his victims to hear him coming
- He is slightly capable of being somewhat supernatural in his movements.

The one and only book worm :smileyhappy:
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

JohnnyAnderson wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Promise Not to Tell  

Island of Lost Girls  Glad TBear posted Jennifer McMahon"s    thread.As your know its set in VT..and its extremely thrilling,and questioning yourself,for me at least,What if?.....Jennifer is a brilliant storyteller..I really won't say much else,I am almost to the end..Some other readers have finished "Dismantled"A few of us also read "Promise not toTell"   before Dismantled,which immediately had me wanting all of her books...have not read "Island of Lost Girls"..yet.Her next book due out , I believe March 2011"Don't Breathe A Word".Wendy have a look at her Board,and she might be back today....Her books were highly recommended by a close Reader friend here on BN..She never disappoints.'she has also read" Island of Lost Girls",my next book TBR...by Jennifer.Can't wait to hear what you thought.about her books..Another Book by Jennifer is .."My Tiki Girl"  Susan..

Hi  JenniferMcMahon's last day on BN was Sunday..But you can have a look at all the posts,and when you are ready to read one of her Book's..We can join you here or on her "Thread on Mystery "to discuss..If that works..for you..We love her Books..I hope you do as well Let us know which one you will start with  I read Promise !st,,and Dismantled..a few of us have. in that order....Sounds like a Good Plan  pen21,Kayla,maxcat('Tbear "read "Tiki Girls")Most of us haven't started that yet....Just post and we will find you  :  )Might be Fun Here to discuss..Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

SciFiCanuck wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:

Had a small breakdown/tantrum staring at my TBR pile last night trying to figure out what to read and planning how many books I can read before the 20th (payday).  All my spawn are seeing the dentist this week and the cost is cutting into my book buying budget.  (Darn monsters wanting human looking teeth) Have to wait for payday to buy the books I need for July.  Every time I see a comment about how wonderful Adrian Phoenix's Black Dust Mambo is I go into B & N withdrawal shakes.    I wonder if hubby will notice I have a problem if I start scouring the house for scrap metal to sell for books?  :smileytongue::smileyvery-happy::smileywink:

LOL, you are too funny!  I finally got the reasonining behind the name now.  :-)  LOL  My friend used to call her daughter TROLL since she was a little tiny baby.  It always made me laugh.  That's a good idea though, sell stuff so we can have money to buy books.  I think maybe I can get a good price for my daughter on the black market...she's a red head.  LMAO!!  She's 21 years old so I don't think she would be impressed, hahaha!

I can't seem to get to the TBR books I've had for over a year on my shelf...new releases of series's I've read keep coming out.  Maybe I need to stop reading new book 1's of a series?  But you know that's not going to happen.  Oh the dilema.....

Now see that's where you go wrong.:smileytongue: New releases go on the bottom or to the middle of the TBR que. I've got 5 authors I'll let jump line, but anything else is bedlam.:smileywink:

LOL, yeah like I would be able to do that...  I abolustely HAVE to read the new releases when they come out because I'm usually DYING to read them.  :-)

Good things come to those who wait. :smileytongue:Case in point. Not only did I read (while skipping spoilers) the thread first for this book. I also waited till the next in the series came out to buy it. So while I wait for my copy of

Blood Law  to get here. Expected arrival is monday at the earliest.

I get to finally sit down and enjoy the book that I allowed to mature in my TBR pile.

Rosemary and Rue  Ripping great book BTW. Waiting hasn't made it any less enjoyable. Even though I read 28 other books after I bought my copy, before I cracked it. And the second one is right there waiting for me.:smileywink:

Well...  :smileytongue:  :smileytongue:  :smileytongue: 

LOL

Yep mature adult, that's me!

(Laughs):smileyvery-happy:
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

JohnnyAnderson wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Promise Not to Tell  

Island of Lost Girls  Glad TBear posted Jennifer McMahon"s    thread.As your know its set in VT..and its extremely thrilling,and questioning yourself,for me at least,What if?.....Jennifer is a brilliant storyteller..I really won't say much else,I am almost to the end..Some other readers have finished "Dismantled"A few of us also read "Promise not toTell"   before Dismantled,which immediately had me wanting all of her books...have not read "Island of Lost Girls"..yet.Her next book due out , I believe March 2011"Don't Breathe A Word".Wendy have a look at her Board,and she might be back today....Her books were highly recommended by a close Reader friend here on BN..She never disappoints.'she has also read" Island of Lost Girls",my next book TBR...by Jennifer.Can't wait to hear what you thought.about her books..Another Book by Jennifer is .."My Tiki Girl"  Susan..

Hmm well she was there last week. However you can read and post in that thread, she may get back later to us.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

JohnnyAnderson wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Promise Not to Tell  

Hmm well she was there last week. However you can read and post in that thread, she may get back later to us.

True TBear..Jennifer would like that for sure..SusanVtc

TiggerBear wrote:

JohnnyAnderson wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Promise Not to Tell  

Frequent Contributor
Katie983

Getting all caught up with Caitlin Kittredge so I can read her newest in her Black London series :smileyhappy:

JUST FINISHED:

Street Magic (Black London Series #1) 

CURRENTLY READING:

Demon Bound (Black London Series #2)  

UP NEXT:

Witch Craft (Nocturne City Series #4)  

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme
0 Kudos

Katie983 wrote:

Getting all caught up with Caitlin Kittredge so I can read her newest in her Black London series :smileyhappy:

JUST FINISHED:

CURRENTLY READING:

UP NEXT:

Your going to love Witch

craft. I think it is her best book yet.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

I am right in the middle of White Witch, Black Curse, but I am thinking about going back and re-reading the short stories from the anthologies.  I didn't realize that this book would pull so heavily from them.  Harrison has definitely done enough so that I am not totally lost, but I think if I took a break and read the short stories I would have a more well rounded reading experience.  What do you the rest of you think?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Fangbanger wrote:

I am right in the middle of White Witch, Black Curse, but I am thinking about going back and re-reading the short stories from the anthologies.  I didn't realize that this book would pull so heavily from them.  Harrison has definitely done enough so that I am not totally lost, but I think if I took a break and read the short stories I would have a more well rounded reading experience.  What do you the rest of you think?

While the short are not nessisary to understand the story. They are a nice enjoyable read.

Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

jgmme wrote:

Katie983 wrote:

JUST FINISHED:

CURRENTLY READING:

UP NEXT:

Your going to love Witch

craft. I think it is her best book yet.

Thanks Jo :smileyhappy:

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Frequent Contributor
largerthanlife
0 Kudos

Got a stack of new books yesterday, so I was totaly in heaven.  The first one I read was Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews.  I have been waitin forever to finally read this so I was really glad it did not disapoint.  I can't wait for the next one in the series and hopefully we will be meeting Roland sometime soom.  I really am looking forward to the final showdown.

The second book I read was one of my "this looks interesting" books.  I didn't do a whole lot of research into this one, but I liked the cover so I thru caution to the wind and bought it.  I really liked The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox.  It was a good book and while some parts of it seemed rather rushed, I did enjoy it. 

The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox: Book Cover

I think next up is going to be Silver Bourne by Patricia Briggs.  It has taken me forever to get this book so I am really looking forward to this next book in the Mercy Thompson series.

"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Just finishing 

Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss Series #2). It's a great followup to the first book The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss Series #1). And, I've just received delivery confirmation of  the third book

A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss Series #3). This series rocks with lyrical prose, unbelievably imaginative segments (seamless integrated into the narrative), a unique creationist mythology, screen-worthy dialogue, a riveting conflict which envisions an apocalyptic onslaught of demons and intriguing characters which include the not-so-human demon hunting heroine, her 'light bringer' protohuman boyfriend, demons (the good, the not-so-good and the very bad) and avatar/energy beings who can become human and/or take on human form. If you want to read a series that offers the best of dark urban fantasy, then read this one.   

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

dalnewt wrote:

Just finishing 

Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss Series #2). It's a great followup to the first book The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss Series #1). And, I've just received delivery confirmation of  the third book

A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss Series #3). This series rocks with lyrical prose, unbelievably imaginative segments (seamless integrated into the narrative), a unique creationist mythology, screen-worthy dialogue, a riveting conflict which envisions an apocalyptic onslaught of demons and intriguing characters which include the not-so-human demon hunting heroine, her 'light bringer' protohuman boyfriend, demons (the good, the not-so-good and the very bad) and avatar/energy beings who can become human and/or take on human form. If you want to read a series that offers the best of dark urban fantasy, then read this one.   

Wow...sounds like a good one. I have the 1st book in my TBR pile, looks like I will have to pull it closer to the top.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

jgmme wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

Just finishing 

Wow...sounds like a good one. I have the 1st book in my TBR pile, looks like I will have to pull it closer to the top.

yaaahh, good choice

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

Just finished:

Tracking the Tempest 

This book was great!  I liked it just as much as the first one.  I can't wait for the next book "Tempest's Legacy".  I think it is due out in Jan 2011. 

Started reading:

The Touch of Twilight (Signs of the Zodiac Series #3) 

I really like this series.  It is dark and intriguing.  I like the different take on the magic and how its intigrated with the zodiac signs.  I had this series on my TBR pile for a while, I'm glad I finally started it. 

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Tempest Rising (Jane True Series #1)  3/4 done,was looking for thread of Tempest Rising..I have Tracking the Tempest" starring at me to start it..I haven't loved a series so much  in a very long time..I think I have been Romanced.by Ryu..Not a bad feeling  : )...Thank you.You know who you are. my friend,NF, ^ _ ^  Susan...

pen21

Vermontcozy wrote:

Tempest Rising (Jane True Series #1)  3/4 done,was looking for thread of Tempest Rising..I have Tracking the Tempest" starring at me to start it..I haven't loved a series so much  in a very long time..I think I have been Romanced.by Ryu..Not a bad feeling  : )...Thank you.You know who you are. my friend,NF, ^ _ ^  Susan...

I love this series.

Susan here is the link to Tempest Rising. It was a December feature.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/DECEMBER-FEATURE-2-Tempest-Rising-by...

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

I love this series.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/DECEMBER-FEATURE-2-Tempest-Rising-by...

:womanvery-happy:Thanks Luanne..Maybe one day Nicole Peeler will Be on Paranormal Visiting.... All of us......Suze..Anybody Listening??  :  )

Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

I love this series.

:womanvery-happy:Thanks Luanne..Maybe one day Nicole Peeler will Be on Paranormal Visiting.... All of us......Suze..Anybody Listening??  :  )

Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

JohnnyAnderson wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Promise Not to Tell  

thanks