Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

Re: What are you currently reading?

So I have been a little off my game in the reading department!  I finished A Game of Thrones and loved it!!!  I thought about reading the next one, but I want to buy them all in "real" book form and not E-book so I decided to wait. 

Now, mind you it was late at night and my next Hollows novel was in the car and I was already in bed...so I started:

Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin Series #1) 

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Frequent Contributor
Katie983

Daughter of Smoke and Bone  Just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I was hooked from the moment I read "once upon a time." Loved the romantice aspect of it - two people from separate backgrounds are brought together by a love that is forbidden. I found it refreshing that the author set the main setting in Prague, as opposed to what I feel are sterotypical settings for a lot of authors - Los Angeles, London, Chicago, etc. Almost makes me want to visit Prague myself and see if this "Pestilence" statue reall does exist :smileywink:

Here's what I'm reading now and what I plan to read next:

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

Ok, I'm on to book #2! Siren Song (Blood Singer Series #2)  

It admittedly took me a little longer to get into Blood Song than I was hoping for, but maybe about half way through I couldn't put it down! Celia reminded me a lot of "early" Anita Blake, actually, and while I still see some similarites between their characters, the story, other characters, and world are completely different. And I really like where this series is hopefully heading! 

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

I finally had The Greyfriar at the top of the Needs to be Read list. I wasn't disappointed. All the talk on the board kept it near the top of my pile. The characters and steampunk blended well with the vampire aspects. The second one in the series will need to inch its way to the top soon.

The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1)  

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin Trilogy Series #1)  

synopsis:

Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.
     Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

i am about 50% done and totally into it :smileyhappy:

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

angelcloud529 wrote:

So I have been a little off my game in the reading department!  I finished A Game of Thrones and loved it!!!  I thought about reading the next one, but I want to buy them all in "real" book form and not E-book so I decided to wait. 

Now, mind you it was late at night and my next Hollows novel was in the car and I was already in bed...so I started:

Oh the EA books are really good!  You will enjoy them!  :-)  I picked up By a Thread on the weekend...can't wait to dig my teeth in!

LOL, too funny!  I'm having the same predicament...I'm trying to read A Perfect Blood but I'm halfway through the second Hunger Games book, Catching Fire.  WOW...this series has been SO GOOD!  Don't know what took me so long to read them, LOL!  I am glued and looking forward to the movie.  :-)

I am also looking forward to the next Alpha and Omega book, Fair Game! 

WOOT!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin Trilogy Series #1)  

Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers is the first novel in a new trilogy entitled His Fair Assassin. Within these five hundred and fifty-eight pages you will be transported back in time and taken on a journey that contains all the key elements of a great tale. There is suspense, murder, a heroine, a hero and a villain. Stir in a little history, the God of Death, supernatural elements, wickedly cool assassin techniques and you have a tale that will grab you from page one. Thus was my experience with Grave Mercy
The protagonist is sixteen year old Ismae. The child of a turnip farmer, who has despised her since birth. Eager to be rid of her, he marries her off for a price. When her new husband, a beast of a man bids her to undress, his eyes fall to the scar that runs down her back and runs screaming to the priests to have his marriage annulled. She finds sanctuary at the convent of St. Mortain. Here she learns what she is and is offered the chance to serve as a handmaiden to death. She will train to become an assassin.  Having nothing to lose and finally feeling like she belongs, Ismae readily accepts. Her she learns the art of being an assassin, is trained in political history and all manner of skills. On her second assignment, she encounters Duval who is brother to the Duchess of Brittany. He is there to question the man Ismae has just assassinated. Duval then appears at the convent demanded answers. The reverend mother informs Ismae that she will be accompanying Duval to protect the Duchess of Brittany.  The tale that unfolds was absolutely riveting, the history, the suspense, the plots..Oh the plots…it was wonderful! While I determined who the villain was, a lot of key players went back and forth on my list. Watching the events unfold and seeing Ismae and Duval work together kept me turning the pages at a maddening pace.
LaFevers not only takes us back in history with her deliciously suspenseful tale, she provides us with fascinating characters with depth and humor.  Ismae is bright, witty, fearless, independent, and wants to perform her duties to God and Country.  Her life has not been easy and it’s wonderful to watch her grow, make decisions for herself and understand not everything is black and white. Duval is dedicated to protecting his sister at all costs, burdened by being the bastard son of the late king, he tries to be true. Together he and Ismae must determine who is in league with the French.  His trusted friends Beast, and DeLornay were delightful and I grew attached to them. Ismae’s friends Sybella and Annitha from the convent were equally intriguing and I loved their side stories.
While LaFevers herself states the tale is not historically accurate she weaved enough truth into the novel to make it believable and it made for an intrigue tale. While the tale is longer than most young adult novels on the market, it was well written and evenly paced. I drank in every page and was sadden to see it end. The romance was delightful and genuine. This was not a case of instant-a-love, but rather one that developed out of respect and trust.
I highly recommend Grave Mercy to fans of historical fiction, fantasy, suspense and romance laced with supernatural elements.  I am anxious to get my hands on the second novel entitled Dark Triumph. This will tell the story of Sybella. It is expected to be published in the spring of 2013. Grave Mercy will be published on April 3, 2012 and be available in paper and eBook formats.  R.L. LaFevers has over sixteen published works including the Theodosia Throckmorton series and Nathaniel Fludd Beastologistseries. I plan to check out more of her work, and have added her to my list of must read authors. 
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Onto the last book of The Hunger Games... WOW, what a series!!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

Discount Armageddon (InCryptid Series #1)  

Just started. It's good-- with an quirky 20 something heroine, named Verity Price, who lives in tiny apartment in Greenwich Village with a tribe of sentient mice. (Remember the MIB scene with the critters in Grand Central Station, well those MIB critters are reminiscent of these tribal mice.) Verity waitresses, ballroom dances and kills monsters as part of the family business. She's kind of California girl meets Buffy. The N.Y. setting is very well-drawn with offbeat descriptions of rooftops, alleys/breezeways, dance clubs and other less known parts of the Big Apple. The monsters are divided between sentient beings and non-sentient creatures. There's a lightheartedness to this book that's very winning.  I'll  post my final impressions later.   

Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

So much for sneaking in the latest Gena Showalter book...it took me a while to finish it up between traveling, work, and sleep...

The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld Series #9)  

Well Paris finally got his HEA with Sienna, the Hunter who kidnapped him and later died in his arms.  Cronus has plans to use Sienna, reanimated her soul and paired her with the demon Wrath.  Paris has been scouring the heavens and hell looking for Sienna.  When he finds her, he may just have to give her up to Cronus' plan.

Showalter uses this book to setup a spin off series featuring the angels.  The book ended on a game changer, so I don't know if she will start wrapping up the LOU series or keep it going.  A few new characters were introduced in this book, so there are plenty of Lords left to play with.

Next up?  I may stick with books I have on my Nook, which means either Raven Calls or SEAL in Wolf's Clothing.  I'll probably save A Perfect Blood for the weekend so I can read it in one sitting.

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

dalnewt wrote:

Discount Armageddon (InCryptid Series #1)  

Just started. It's good-- with an quirky 20 something heroine, named Verity Price, who lives in tiny apartment in Greenwich Village with a tribe of sentient mice. (Remember the MIB scene with the critters in Grand Central Station, well those MIB critters are reminiscent of these tribal mice.) Verity waitresses, ballroom dances and kills monsters as part of the family business. She's kind of California girl meets Buffy. The N.Y. setting is very well-drawn with offbeat descriptions of rooftops, alleys/breezeways, dance clubs and other less known parts of the Big Apple. The monsters are divided between sentient beings and non-sentient creatures. There's a lightheartedness to this book that's very winning.  I'll  post my final impressions later.   

I got this book too! I haven't started it yet, but I haven't heard anything bad about it.  I am finishing up Spider's Bite and I love it.  I am going to read A Perfect Blood next... Then anything is up for grabs! LOL.

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

I'm on to book 3 now! 

Demon Song (Blood Singer Series #3)  

And wow, a lot happened in book 2, but it took a couple of directions that threw me. I also hope that Celia finds a love interest in book 3! I don't "require" them in books I love, but Celia sure needs one! I mean, she's a siren. Who will it be??

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson

[ Edited ]

The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane Series #2)  

And...

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (Rachel Morgan Series #2) 

then going to read Green Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane Series #3) and Every Which Way But Dead (Rachel Morgan Series #3).  I couldn't decide which series to read first so decided to go all in and read them both at the same time!  :smileywink:

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529

Just finished:

This book was great and I can't wait to read the next one! (Awesome suggestion SciFi)!!!

But...I have to read A Perfect Blood first. Which brings me to my next book, woohoo!

I am already speeding through

A Perfect Blood (Rachel Morgan Series #10)  

I love it so far, and can't wait to see how Kim Harrison finishes this one!

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

A_Wilson wrote:

The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane Series #2)  

And...

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (Rachel Morgan Series #2) 

then going to read Green Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane Series #3) and Every Which Way But Dead (Rachel Morgan Series #3).  I couldn't decide which series to read first so decided to go all in and read them both at the same time!  :smileywink:

The Sabina Kane series is awesome!

And I'm actually kind of jealous that you're only on book 2 of the Rachel Morgan series.... Whereas I have to wait another whole year to read the next book, you have so many more to look forward to! :smileywink:

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

angelcloud529 wrote:

Just finished:

This book was great and I can't wait to read the next one! (Awesome suggestion SciFi)!!!

But...I have to read A Perfect Blood first. Which brings me to my next book, woohoo!

It's good to hear you're liking the EA series! I have a couple of books that have been recently released (and eagerly anticipated) before I can start in on that one, but it's definitely next on the list!! 

And oh yeah, A Perfect Blood... good stuff! Can't wait to hear what you think!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

angelcloud529 wrote:

Just finished:

LOL!  I knew you would like it!  The rest are just as good!  :-)  I've got By a Thread waiting in the wings for me! 

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

SciFiCanuck wrote:

angelcloud529 wrote:

Just finished:

LOL!  I knew you would like it!  The rest are just as good!  :-)  I've got By a Thread waiting in the wings for me! 

I love this series, I just finished By a Thread, it was great. You are going to love it!!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

I just finished Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors , because for some reason I absolutely love Jane Jameson and all the quirky situations she finds herself in. This was (unfortunately) short and a fast read, which is too bad because I've been waiting on this release for 2 years! 

So now I'm about to start on Witchful Thinking (Jolie Wilkins Series #3)  , even though I've heard it's not very good (too much backstory, not enough progression, etc.) But I'm reading it anyway... This must not be self-published this time, because it cost me the same as all other books, $7.99. Hmmmm....