Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

It is different than her other books so yes, it does take getting used to the different writing style but once you get used to it it is quite enjoyable. The thing to remember is that there are TWO conversations going on inside one person and that has a tendency to confuse. All in all, its a great book. I hope Stephanie Meyer continues writing for years to come.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Inspired Contributor
dragonchica

dhaupt wrote:

dragonchica wrote:
Just finished Blood Noir, about to start the original Dracula!

You mean Bram Stoker's? I really liked that book, I read it to more enjoy The Historian.
let us know if you liked it.

Yep, One and the same. I just finished it.  It was a little "wordy" for my taste, but I still enjoyed it.  And coincidently the book I'm starting next is The Historian.  What is that they say about great minds?...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonchica/
Frequent Contributor
Cemetery-Cat

dragonchica wrote:

Yep, One and the same. I just finished it.  It was a little "wordy" for my taste, but I still enjoyed it.  And coincidently the book I'm starting next is The Historian.  What is that they say about great minds?...

Oh goodnes I just loved the HIstorian. In my top ten best ever. It's so not what you expect it to be about..
It's not a vampire novel. It's just amazing.
Synde
eenie meanie chili beanie..the spirits are about to speak...
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Dancing With Werewolves by Carole Nelson Douglas. I am enjoying this, as she has a very interesting take on the supernatural, and uses humor effectively.

Carol
So many books, so little time...
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Mizz Parker wrote--
R you liking the Host??? I started to read it but couldn't get into it.. Just wandering if it gets better..

Hi,

I am still on page 245.  lol, can't seem to get pass it, I keep putting the book down and picking up other books to read.  I enjoyed it up to page 245 and I from what I have read in reveiws of the books, the middle seems to slow down a bit.  So, I will continue on with the book.  I want to find out what happens.  :smileyhappy:

As for La Vida Vampire, it was okay, I would classify it as light reading.  A very quick read.  :smileyhappy:
Phyllis
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Dragonchica wrote--Yep, One and the same. I just finished it.  It was a little "wordy" for my taste, but I still enjoyed it.  And coincidently the book I'm starting next is The Historian.  What is that they say about great minds?...

Oh, you are reading The Historian, I love that book.  I think it is one of the best books I have ever read.  I hope you enjoy it.
Phyllis
Frequent Contributor
melaniejackson
0 Kudos

I'm doing Night Child by Jes Battis-- too soon to tell if I'll like it, but the premis is fun.... I really liked dancingg With Werewolves-- creepy universe :-). I'm also reading All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson (want to finish before Spook Country arrives). Very cool book but almost impossible to explain. Gibson and China Mieville are too tough authors to categorize. If you want to try Gibson, start with Pattern Recognition. It's about a 'cool hunter', someone who can spot trends in clothing, cars, music etc. The heroine is highly allergic (mentally/psychically) to all forms of labels and advertsing to the point of being unable to walk through a department store. She freelances for advertisers who bring her clients that show her a logo for a couple of seconds and she can tell them if the logo/product will sell well. Gibson's writing is beautiful and his stories are techno John Irving :-).

I am also waiting for New Slain Knight. It's part of the Haunted Ballad series by Deborah Grabien. Just finished The Cruel Suster and loved it. The hero is a musician who does medieval ballads and the heroine is a theater actress. They travel Europe to various old theaters and musical venues that are haunted by ghosts involved in unsolved murders. Super fun for those who like creeping through haunted castles and solving historical mysteries. No deep knowledge of history is needed to enjoy them. They're more cozy than action-packed. 
www.melaniejackson.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Dancing With Werewolves by Carole Nelson Douglas. I am enjoying this, as she has a very interesting take on the supernatural, and uses humor effectively.
-------------------------------------------
Oh that ones very good, I'm hoping it turn into a series.
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
-------------------------------------------
Oh that ones very good, I'm hoping it turn into a series.

It is -- the second one is called Brimstone Kiss. I haven't been able to find a release date, though. :smileysad:

Carol
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:

It is -- the second one is called Brimstone Kiss. I haven't been able to find a release date, though. :smileysad:

Carol

October 29, 2008
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Thanks, Derek. When I checked about a week ago I couldn't find the info.

Carol
Contributor
Ash_es23
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading Charlaine Harris's Living Dead in Dallas and Jim Butcher's Dresden Files #5 (it's a filler book for me to read when I'm between books)

So far I'm really liking Charlaine Harris's Sookie books
Inspired Contributor
dragonchica

Putting The Historian on hold to read my ARC of Kelley Armstrong's The Summoning!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonchica/
Reader
SJ-Day
0 Kudos

Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland
-------
Have you been Marked?
www.sjday.net
Correspondent
kitkat3ny
0 Kudos

Just finished Vicki Pettersson Third Sign of the Zodiac, now i'm on to Jaci Burton- Surviving Demon Island
dhaupt

dragonchica wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

dragonchica wrote:
Just finished Blood Noir, about to start the original Dracula!

You mean Bram Stoker's? I really liked that book, I read it to more enjoy The Historian.
let us know if you liked it.

I hope you like The Historian, I found it incredible however if you think Stoker was wordy just wait.
dhaupt

Cemetery-Cat wrote:

dragonchica wrote:

Oh goodnes I just loved the HIstorian. In my top ten best ever. It's so not what you expect it to be about..
It's not a vampire novel. It's just amazing.
Synde

I agree I loved The Historian, it was critically acclaimed but I don't know how popular it actually was but I found it really good and wanting for more when it was finished which is a great feat seeing that it was 656 pages.
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

I am still reading The Host, I keep putting it down and picking it back up. I have about 100 pages to go, and then I can go back to the "Anita Blake" series. :smileyhappy:
Phyllis
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Finished Night Keepers and now starting Night Child by Jes Battis.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Hi Toni,

I bought Night Child, and I was thinking of ordering Nightkeepers. Did you like it? It sounds good.
Phyllis