Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Joe Lansdale kicks butt. I love his pulp style.

LordRuthven wrote:

LordRuthven wrote:
I am almost done with Joe Lansdale's "The Bottoms" - a blistering look at racism in '30's Texas wrapped up in a serial killer tale.

Finished. Great novel. It's not fantasy at all, but if you like suspense written by a master storyteller, I highly recommend it.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Phyllis,

I really loved Night Keepers and Jessica did such a good job blending the Mayan Mythology with the Modern day that the narration was very smooth.   There was some romance but if also had a lot of action in it to keeyou interested.  I wish that I didn't have to wait two months for Dawn  Keepers to come out.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Hi Toni,

Thanks for letting me know about Nightkeepers. It sounds like something I would like to read. I think I am going to order it.
Phyllis
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
Joe Lansdale kicks butt. I love his pulp style.

Another good book in the same genre is James Newman's "Midnight Rain." Newman's writing style is different than Lansdale's, but he is a born storyteller as well.
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

The Bleeding Dusk by Colleen Gleason
Phyllis
Contributor
Yasmine_Galenorn
0 Kudos

Currently reading: 

Charlaine Harris: From Dead To Worse  (I LOVE this series!)
Holly Black: Tithe
Melissa Marr: Wicked Lovely

Yasmine
USA Today Bestselling Author
The Otherworld Series

"I love the smell of espresso in the morning."

Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Currently reading The Bleeding Dusk and The Laughing Corpse
Phyllis
Inspired Contributor
dragonchica

Just finished Kelley Armstrong's Summoning, which left me with more questions than season 1 of Lost.  Going back to The Historian now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonchica/
Frequent Contributor
Indigo-Dragonfly
0 Kudos

I recently read "Heart-shaped box" by Joe Hill...it had a good idea...but I did not care for the characters. I also read "Twilight" hearing really good things about it. I think it is really great for teenage girls interested in Vampires, but not really for adults.

I just finished Haunted Lily - The Nightmare Ball". Wonderful book. Fast paced and intriguing. Exciting moments throughout, especially during the paranormal investigations. The characters are compelling and easy to relate to. Well written. I couldn't put it down and can't wait for the next installment. I highly recommend this book.
Frequent Contributor
Mizz1parker
0 Kudos

I just finished Wicked Game by Jeri smith Ready, and it was so good. Its a must read. It is the first book I have read so far that has meaning behind it, don't get me wrong i have loved all the other books i have read so far to date, but this one kind of touched home with the girl Cira, as you can se  the in my previous post about book in the sub-feature..

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

I just finished Songs for the Missing, the First Look program selection, and now that I am back from vacation I will get back to The Host and read Wicked Game.

Carol
So many books, so little time...
Inspired Contributor
dragonchica
0 Kudos

Attempted to read The Historian, couldn't get into it.  There was too many extra words, and I felt like I was reading a history texbook/research term paper/encyclopedia.  WAY too wordy. So I read Requiem for the Devil by Jeri Smith-Ready, which was Amazing! Now I'm working on the Host.  So here's hoping it's better than the Twilight series.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonchica/
Contributor
soul2quz
0 Kudos

I just went out and bought (from the extra money i had left over) midnight alley and feast of fools. Yesterday I started and finished the dead girls dance, and today midnight alley. I'm almost afraid to pick up feast of fools because i know ill finish it off in one go. I really just want to wait and read it slowly and not be on the edge for a few days for the next book to come out. I'm glad at least her 6th book is already in the process of being written. I love the originality and cleverness of these stories. Anyone else reading them? I'm just hoping feast of fools isnt to much of a cliff hanger (fingers crossed).

After this series i look forward to vampire academy book 2. But after that i'm not sure what else i should pick up to read. Any suggestions?
I heart Edward Cullen.
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ

Dragonchica wrote--Attempted to read The Historian, couldn't get into it.  There was too many extra words, and I felt like I was reading a history texbook/research term paper/encyclopedia.  WAY too wordy. So I read Requiem for the Devil by Jeri Smith-Ready, which was Amazing! Now I'm working on the Host.  So here's hoping it's better than the Twilight series

The first time I attempted to read The Historian, I just couldn't get into it at all, so I put it down, I thought it was to wordy and I couldn't force myself to read it.  Last year, I picked it back up on a whim, and I was transported to a world of magic, it was one of the best books I ever have read.  I couldn't understand what I was missing the first time.  Dracula does make a appearance in The Historian, I just couldn't get my nose out of the book until I finished it.  Perhaps if you pick it up at a later date and just get past those first few chapters, you will find the magic that the book offers.  It is truly a good read.  I finished it last year and  I haven't forgotten the book.  It isn't forgettable.  :smileyhappy:
Phyllis
Frequent Contributor
Cemetery-Cat
0 Kudos

I just finished WIcked Game, and I think my next book will be the Accidental Werewolf by Dakota Cassidy.
Or Grimspace by Ann Aguirre.
eenie meanie chili beanie..the spirits are about to speak...
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

______________________________________________________________________________________

Synde,

Kelley Armstrong is featuring this book in her online book club this month. I am still hoping to get to it after I finish The Host and read wicked Game....

Carol
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

I am trying to read Fool Moon but am having trouble sticking to it.  I finished Captains Fury by Butcher too.  I was more compelled by the Codex Alera books then the Dresden files.  I am also reading House of Cards by CE Murphy.  I am also finding this book easy to put down so I am also reading Fledgeling(just started)  by O Butler.  In the wings is Nymphos of Rocky Flats.   Ah, life is good. 
Dude, Where's my book!
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

lilithesque wrote:
I am trying to read Fool Moon but am having trouble sticking to it. I finished Captains Fury by Butcher too. I was more compelled by the Codex Alera books then the Dresden files. I am also reading House of Cards by CE Murphy. I am also finding this book easy to put down so I am also reading Fledgeling(just started) by O Butler. In the wings is Nymphos of Rocky Flats. Ah, life is good.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Fledgling is great! I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.

Carol
Contributor
SKELLINGTON
0 Kudos

I am have just finished "Songs for the Missing", Haunted Lily", and "From dead to Worse"... love the vampires!

"Wicked Lovely" is next on my hit list!

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Cemetery-Cat wrote:

I'm curious about that one. I don't know if it is just being marketed this way, but it looks like the urban fantasy "style" has been adapted into a new setting. So let us know how it turns out.
Derek Tatum