Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

LordRuthven wrote:

Cemetery-Cat wrote:
Or Grimspace by Ann Aguirre.

I'm curious about that one. I don't know if it is just being marketed this way, but it looks like the urban fantasy "style" has been adapted into a new setting. So let us know how it turns out.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Indeed, Synde -- please do. I am enjoying The Host, and given that I then still need to read Wicked Game and the first Harry Potter (for another book group), I am not sure if I will also get to Grimspace this month. Dang!

Carol
So many books, so little time...
Inspired Contributor
dragonchica
0 Kudos

Finished The Host and Ghost of a Chance by Kate Marsh, both of which I fully enjoyed.  Now I'm reading Haunted Lily by Sidney Fox, who seems to be raising a little hell on the boards.  The book has awesome reviews, and I keep hearing that it's a "print on demand" title but I ordered it from Amazon and received it two days later, so...anywho
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonchica/
Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

I'm finishing up Patricia Briggs "Iron Kissed" and then I'll be reading Charlie Huston's "Brooklyn vampire" series: Already Dead, No Dominion and Half the Blood of Brooklyn. I love pulp noir novels and I love vampires, so it works out :smileyhappy:

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Author
markhenry
0 Kudos

I'm reading Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin and enjoying it, though the language slows me down (it's a serial killer tale set in the 12th century). My bathroom and bedtime book is When You Are Engulfed by Flames by David Sedaris (Funny as all hell and great for small spurt reading). Then it's on to Michele Bardsley's Broken Arrow Vampire series.

Zombie smut for the massesROAD TRIP OF THE LIVING DEAD, in stores now from Kensington Books. Visit the author at his horribly inappropriate website.
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm reading Iron Hunt by Marjoire M. Liu and Die for Me by Karen Rose.  Iron Kissed has moved to the top of my TBR pile, it knocked Night Shift over to the floor.  It is tired of being in line.  :smileysurprised:

Message Edited by PhyllisJ on 06-30-2008 06:23 PM
Phyllis
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

I just finished Fledgeling by Octavia Butler.  Wow.  I really enjoyed this book.  It reminded my why I love fantasy/sci fi/paranormal.  In this book, OB examines race, sexual norms, and culture in a thought provocative way, but does it in a book that was a pleasure to read. The story was engaging and rolled right along.  And about vampires.  Win Win Win.   

I say this because I, ten years ago or so I used to blog on a feminist sci fi list serve.  It was like a book club and we looked at different feminist sci fi books and discussed them.  Well, the books we read were work.  They had great points and moment of beauty and profundity, but really not a joy to read--for me anyway.  Not something that I as an non acedemic enjoyed, even though I liked talking about the books after I slogged through them and am very much a feminist.  I was even a women's studies/political science  major when I went to college.  But it felt like school or work or something instead of fun, which reading sci fi and fantasy is and always has been  for me.  My favorite hobby. 

Well, Fledgeling managed to be both intellectually engaging, and sexy and vampiry and a great story that reads like the books I read for pure fun.  She was a master. 

I did see parallels with Liliths Brood.   I may talk more about it on that thread that someone started on her on the sci fi fantasy thread.   
Dude, Where's my book!
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

I am now reading: 

Into the Green by Charles De Lint,

Darkling by Yasmine Galenorn

and one other whose name escapes me, something about bloodsuckers and Rocky Flats. 

All of them good so far!  Just finished Iron Hunt (Liu) and Grave Peril (Butcher), and Night shift (Saintcrow).  All three are really good.  We are talking to Night shift and Iron hunts authors on other threads.   
Dude, Where's my book!
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Katie983 wrote:
 and then I'll be reading Charlie Huston's "Brooklyn vampire" series: Already Dead, No Dominion and Half the Blood of Brooklyn.

Boy that won't be a waste of your time. \m/ Joe Pitt \m/
Derek Tatum
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

lilithesque wrote:
I am now reading:
Into the Green by Charles De Lint,
Darkling by Yasmine Galenorn
and one other whose name escapes me, something about bloodsuckers and Rocky Flats.
All of them good so far! Just finished Iron Hunt (Liu) and Grave Peril (Butcher), and Night shift (Saintcrow). All three are really good. We are talking to Night shift and Iron hunts authors on other threads.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Into the green" has a a bit of a oddly start, bear with it. It one of his best books.
Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:

Boy that won't be a waste of your time. \m/ Joe Pitt \m/

Oh yeah, you're telling me! He kicks major butt!
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Mario Acevedo is one of the most underappreciated genre fiction writers out there.
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ

Just finished The Touch of Twilight by Vicki Pettersson, currently reading;

The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko, Volume One of the Night Watch Trilogy

One With the Darkness by Susan Squires

Phyllis
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

I'm on the second book of the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn....VERY good read(s) so far!!  :smileyhappy:
My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Contributor
mos_stef
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter, the 2nd on the Lords of the Underworld series (does anyone think of TIMMAY and the Lords of the Underworld! from South Park when they read that like I do? :smileywink: I loved the first in the series and this one is pretty great too. It's got a big romance focus but because celibacy is essential to one of the protagonists, it creates a very interesting dynamic and tension between the two main characters. I also finished a short story today (I like to sparse them out, keeps my reading fresh), it was from the Wild Thing anthology- the one with the prequel to Marjorie M. Liu's awesome The Iron Hunt!- Animal Magnetism by Maggie Shayne. Even though she's hugely popular, it was the first I've ever read of Shayne's work... I enjoyed it a lot.

I'm also reading Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman, a novel about superheroes and villians taken from a "serious" (but still hilarious) perspective that focuses on their very human foibles and hang-ups.It's not paranormal, but it does have certain elements in i, and is great if you like comic books and Michael Chabon.

Contributor
lauraly11
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading Blood and Iron by Elizabeth Bear.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

mos_stef,

The romance bookclub will be discussing all three of Gena Showalter's Lords Of The Night next month and The Darkest Kiss is the third book in the series.  The first two are The Darkest Night and The Darkest Pleasure.  A fourth book in the series will be out in May '09.  So go join in if you want to talk about the books.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
mos_stef
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads up, Toni, I'll be sure to check it out! Everywhere I looked says "The Darkest Kiss" in the second in the series and "Pleasure" is the third, including the release order on the backs of all the books, though.
Reader
SJ-Day
0 Kudos

I'm reading CRY WOLF by Patricia Briggs. I've loved it so far and should be done with it today.

S.J.

-------
Have you been Marked?
www.sjday.net
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SJ-Day wrote: 

Have you been Marked?
www.sjday.net

Not yet, but you requested an add on MySpace sometime back and the series looks interesting.

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 07-26-2008 03:23 PM
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
Ma-Petite
0 Kudos

mos_stef wrote:

I'm currently reading The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter, the 2nd on the Lords of the Underworld series (does anyone think of TIMMAY and the Lords of the Underworld! from South Park when they read that like I do? :smileywink: I loved the first in the series and this one is pretty great too. It's got a big romance focus but because celibacy is essential to one of the protagonists, it creates a very interesting dynamic and tension between the two main characters. I also finished a short story today (I like to sparse them out, keeps my reading fresh), it was from the Wild Thing anthology- the one with the prequel to Marjorie M. Liu's awesome The Iron Hunt!- Animal Magnetism by Maggie Shayne. Even though she's hugely popular, it was the first I've ever read of Shayne's work... I enjoyed it a lot.

I'm also reading Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman, a novel about superheroes and villians taken from a "serious" (but still hilarious) perspective that focuses on their very human foibles and hang-ups.It's not paranormal, but it does have certain elements in i, and is great if you like comic books and Michael Chabon.

I just started Darkest Pleasure by Showalter. I loved the other two books they were great. LOL Sorry but South Park characters don't come to mind when I read them. That's Funny .