Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Wicked Lovely

Greetings, all. If you haven't read it yet, you really must try this book by Melissa Marr. If you have read it, I would love to discuss the book.

Melissa, if you are lurking nearby -- I loved it! It's dark,and twisty with surprises. I have the ARC for "Ink Exchange" which I am going to start tonight. Thanks for writing such an awesome book! Jeaniene, you were right. :smileyhappy:

Carol
So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
Cemetery-Cat
0 Kudos

Re: Wicked Lovely

Chomp wrote:
Greetings, all. If you haven't read it yet, you really must try this book by Melissa Marr. If you have read it, I would love to discuss the book.

Melissa, if you are lurking nearby -- I loved it! It's dark,and twisty with surprises. I have the ARC for "Ink Exchange" which I am going to start tonight. Thanks for writing such an awesome book! Jeaniene, you were right. :smileyhappy:

Carol

I got an ARC of INK EXCHANGE today as well. great minds think alike...:smileytongue:
synde
eenie meanie chili beanie..the spirits are about to speak...
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:

Carol

Aw, Carol, you said I was right! Who told you those were my three most favorite words? :smileywink:.

I loved Wicked Lovely. Read it straight through and ignored everyone around me until I was done. Melissa's character's stayed with me even after I was finished with it, which doesn't happen often (I'm fickle that way, lol).

I think you'll really be surprised by Ink Exchange. It's such a beautifully dark, powerful story. Like a cross between A Midsummer's Night Dream and Romeo and Juliet, but set in modern times. I loved that book as well, but I won't say much because I don't want to spoiler it.

www.jeanienefrost.com
Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

I have it.  I only read the prologue so far, but I can't wait to read the rest.  It may be awhile until I get back to it.  I've got 3 in the queue before it. 
Krystn
I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote --Greetings, all. If you haven't read it yet, you really must try this book by Melissa Marr. If you have read it, I would love to discuss the book.

Melissa, if you are lurking nearby -- I loved it! It's dark,and twisty with surprises. I have the ARC for "Ink Exchange" which I am going to start tonight. Thanks for writing such an awesome book! Jeaniene, you were right.

Carol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Wicked Lovely and I read the first few chapters and I love it, but I have a few others to read first, Happy Hour of the Damned and Dead to Me, but WL, caught my interest right away.  The life size fairys, oh let me not give away any spoilers.  You know that book is just calling my name to pick it back up right now.:smileyhappy:
Phyllis
Contributor
MelissaMarr
0 Kudos

*grin* Yes, I do lurk from time to time :smileyhappy: You all keep talking abt books I like to read, so I keep popping by to see what you might recommend that I haven't found yet. Anyhow . . .

Thank you, Carol, for the kind words. I hope you and Synde enjoy Ink (and that Phylis & Krystn like WL).

And you, Ms Frost, you're just . . . waaay too nice. (Thanks, dear.) INK would've been a lot harder to write without you listening to my panic fits.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I plan on reading it when it gets returned to the library but that won't be till the end of the month but it sounds like a really good book.  Just wish someone would return it early so I could get it earlier.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Cemetery-Cat wrote:

Chomp wrote:

Carol

I got an ARC of INK EXCHANGE today as well. great minds think alike...:smileytongue:
synde

Yes, isn't it funny how that works, Synde? :smileyhappy:

Carol
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Jeaniene_Frost wrote:

Chomp wrote:

Carol

Aw, Carol, you said I was right! Who told you those were my three most favorite words? :smileywink:.
I loved Wicked Lovely. Read it straight through and ignored everyone around me until I was done. Melissa's character's stayed with me even after I was finished with it, which doesn't happen often (I'm fickle that way, lol).
I think you'll really be surprised by Ink Exchange. It's such a beautifully dark, powerful story. Like a cross between A Midsummer's Night Dream and Romeo and Juliet, but set in modern times. I loved that book as well, but I won't say much because I don't want to spoiler it.

_________________________________________________________________________________

It was just a lucky guess on the favorite words, Jeanniene. :smileyhappy:

Yes, so far Ink is beautiful, dark, and powerful -- wow!

Carol
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

MelissaMarr wrote:
*grin* Yes, I do lurk from time to time :smileyhappy: You all keep talking abt books I like to read, so I keep popping by to see what you might recommend that I haven't found yet. Anyhow . . .

Thank you, Carol, for the kind words. I hope you and Synde enjoy Ink (and that Phylis & Krystn like WL).

And you, Ms Frost, you're just . . . waaay too nice. (Thanks, dear.) INK would've been a lot harder to write without you listening to my panic fits.

____________________________________________________________________________________

You are very welcome, Melissa. I LOVED WL, and am enjoying Ink, as well. I am actually going to use Wicked Lovely in a YA Lit class project. I had several books in mind, so i read the first few pages of each. Though they were all good, yours had me hooked and I could not wait to get back to it.

This is definitely the place to hang out looking for good book ideas.

Carol
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
I plan on reading it when it gets returned to the library but that won't be till the end of the month but it sounds like a really good book. Just wish someone would return it early so I could get it earlier.
Toni

Hi Toni. You mean the end of March? Oh, dear. It is a fabulous, beautiful book. You will love it.

Carol
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Any of you ARC receivers want to adopt and old cranky but young at heart reader?  I am house broken and can cook my own meals.  Have computer will travel!

Message Edited by Vampyre on 03-01-2008 07:17 AM
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Contributor
MelissaMarr
0 Kudos

Vampyre,

I don't know abt adoption, but last Thursday Harper started giving out a few more ARCs :smileyhappy:

WHAT I KNOW: There was a PW ad (http://www.publishersweekly.com/enewsletter/CA6536303/2286.html) with an offer for ARCs "while supplies last." To get one, you can email them at "inkexchange@harpercollins.com" and request one.

Hope that helps.

M.
Contributor
MelissaMarr
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote: You are very welcome, Melissa. I LOVED WL, and am enjoying Ink, as well. I am actually going to use Wicked Lovely in a YA Lit class project. I had several books in mind, so i read the first few pages of each. Though they were all good, yours had me hooked and I could not wait to get back to it.

Carol

YA class project? Now that's a sure what to keep me from roaming too far away. I taught before I did this writer thing, & when I did the fall WL tour, I got to stop in for a day & do guest lecture-y things at NCSU for a Grad YA Lit, a Creative Writing Sem, & a SFF course. I loved being back in a classroom. *happy wiggles* So, umm, (if you don't mind) what are studying? or teaching? or auditing?

(Can we tangent like that here?)

M.
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

MelissaMarr wrote:

Chomp wrote: You are very welcome, Melissa. I LOVED WL, and am enjoying Ink, as well. I am actually going to use Wicked Lovely in a YA Lit class project. I had several books in mind, so i read the first few pages of each. Though they were all good, yours had me hooked and I could not wait to get back to it.

Carol

YA class project? Now that's a sure what to keep me from roaming too far away. I taught before I did this writer thing, & when I did the fall WL tour, I got to stop in for a day & do guest lecture-y things at NCSU for a Grad YA Lit, a Creative Writing Sem, & a SFF course. I loved being back in a classroom. *happy wiggles* So, umm, (if you don't mind) what are studying? or teaching? or auditing?

(Can we tangent like that here?)

M.

Hi Melissa. Yes, tangents are fine.:smileyhappy: However, I would also be glad to contact you via your website, if you prefer.

I am taking a YA lit course. (I am a high-school librarian). One of the projects is to connect/contrast/compare a contemporary YA novel with a classic. I am very intrigued by the paranormal genre as a vehicle to explore feelings of alienation and "otherness" among teens, and chose Frankenstein as the classic. The project is supposed to be a teaching unit, though that may be modified a bit. In any case, I chose Wicked Lovely as the YA text, though I will also tie in several other examples, as well. My tbr stack for this project is tall. :smileyhappy:

Carol  
Frequent Contributor
Janice00
0 Kudos

I'm reading it now. I'm almost finished. Oh, just a little detail I didn't mention: this is the third time time I read it. Almost done, I want to know more about her other book.
"Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional."
--Me
Contributor
MelissaMarr
0 Kudos

(Sorry for the slow reply, Carol. I was finishing the book & turned it in today--so I have a few days w/o it on the desk wherein I can relax.)

Shelley is such fun. Have you read her short story "The Mortal Immortal"? I used to love to teach that one n my intro courses. It allows for some interesting questions (a la vampirism, but not with quite the same moral ambiguities). Alienation was a standard topic the students raised. Very easy reading, but with much good discussion points.

What all are you including? I love classic SpecFic. There's some really interesting stuff being done now too that works with the classic SpecFic. A.M. Jenkins has a new one coming out this summer, NIGHT ROAD, that deals with vampirism in a very tradition literary framework. (She did REPOSSESED, one of the YA books that got the Printz Honor this year). The YA class I visited was doing FEED (M T Anderson) which also invites interesting discussion on alienation & moral relativity.

I included a couple of my fav SpecFic lit poems in Wicked Lovely b/c I'm such a geek for them. The idea of using the otherworldly to talk abt things here has always fascinated me (b/c really, that's what so much of folklore is & fairy tales . . .Oooh, have you read the Norton Critical Edition on Classic Fairy Tales. Great critical stuff in there).

Hmmm. Now you've got me all wound up . . .

Hope you're having fun with your project. Love to hear what all you're reading if you're interested in sharing . . .
Contributor
MelissaMarr
0 Kudos

Janice00 wrote: Almost done, I want to know more about her other book.

Hmm, I know a few answers abt it :smileyhappy: The second book (Ink Exchange, April 08) is a companion book. I have some stuff abt it over on my website. (You can also read the flap copy in the B&N database .) The third book (Enthralled, Summer 09) is an actual sequel to Wicked Lovely. (I just turned it in to my editor today).

Does that help? If there are other questions I can answer, pls let me know. I'm enjoying a few browsing hours on boards & journals now that the book is off to my editors' desks . . .

M.
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Wow, Melissa -- thanks for the great ideas. I have never read that Shelley story, and will definitely do so.

I will also check out both Repossessed and Feed. They both sound like fun, and as though they will work .

My other ideas for inclusion: Blood and Chocolate, Betwixt, Uglies, and Tithe. Any other ideas you have would be very welcome. :smileyhappy:

Thanks bunches.
Carol
Frequent Contributor
Janice00
0 Kudos

That helps A-L-O-T, Thanks I can't wait to read the sequel.
"Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional."
--Me