Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
Posts: 347
Registered: ‎01-04-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........


Triton3122 wrote:

You will allow your friends to borrow your books, but provide them with a list of do and do not's!!

 

 . . . . do not bend the pages down to mark your place!

 . . . . do use a bookmark!

 . . . . do not use a bookmark that will scratch up or rip the pages!

 . . . . do take the cover off of my hardback book!!

 . . . . do not let anyone else borrow it!

 . . . . do bring it back better than when you borrowed it!


Most of those are pet peaves of mine!  You can always tell which paperbacks Ive loaned out cause they don't look new anymore.  My copy of Dark Lover is so battered, Im starting to loose pages.  :smileysad:  I was so anal I wouldn't buy a book that had a nick on the spine unless it was the only copy left.  I will take the cover off a hardback when reading it so I don't mess it up.  I'm wierd, I know....

Contributor
ZiaMarie
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎08-10-2011

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

you actually budget out money, like you would for groceries and gas, for e-books to feed your addiction! LOL.

 

(Such a great thread!)

 

--- Zia

http://ziambooks.blogspot.com

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme
Posts: 412
Registered: ‎11-21-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

[ Edited ]

ZiaMarie wrote:

you actually budget out money, like you would for groceries and gas, for e-books to feed your addiction! LOL.

 

(Such a great thread!)

 

--- Zia

http://ziambooks.blogspot.com



when you say "screw the budget, I'm getting that book" at least once a month.

 

 

 

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Wordsmith
3monstersmom
Posts: 871
Registered: ‎03-04-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

When it's after midnight and you are checking the boards just to make sure no one has posted anything new before you go to bed to read for a little while.  

 

 

 

When you check the delivery statues of your book orders twice a day just in case UPS finally gets a clue and realizes how important that new release is to you and randomly decides to upgrade it to express shipping.  HEY! a girl can dream, right?

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme
Posts: 412
Registered: ‎11-21-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

when you have the following list:

 

     wish list - these are books/series you haven't started but want to when you can.

 

     must have - these are books that you MUST HAVE as soon as they come out or you will just die!!

 

     pre-ordered - these are books that you have pre-ordered on your nook and are just waiting till the reles date, and you have books on this that don't come out till the end of the year.

 

   

    TBR - ofcoruse got to have this one. books you have and have not read yet.

 

Now if you have more than 150 books on above list, you are not only a bookaholic, but a gold card member with a life time membership!!!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme
Posts: 412
Registered: ‎11-21-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

when you made a post on another thread about not having time to read your current book, and the down load 3 more books on you Nook!!!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Wordsmith
3monstersmom
Posts: 871
Registered: ‎03-04-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

When a book sale makes you as giddy as a teenage girl at a Twilight movie premier.

Wordsmith
3monstersmom
Posts: 871
Registered: ‎03-04-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

When your idea of a quick trip inside the bookstore last at least 45 minutes.

 

 

When you have your very own catch phrase and it's:  "Just one more chapter and then I'll....."

 

 

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot
Posts: 495
Registered: ‎05-14-2011

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

You have a bookcase three feet high and six feet long, but the height of that same bookcase is now higher than your head because of the acquired and devoured DTBs now resting on its shelves.  Current height: 5' 5''. (I won't mention the other two in the next room that appear to be in a similiar situation...shhh...).

'Posted: Do not feed the Trolls, not even reindeer flattened fruitcake...Feeding of Trolls will result in gnome revolts, gremlin induced chaos, and other strangeness...' - Darkkin, the Tedious
Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen
Posts: 283
Registered: ‎11-28-2008

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

Okay, if I ever run into Paul at a conference, I'm making him a big sash that says "Book Pimp."

 

~Suzi

 


paulgoatallen wrote:


jgmme wrote:

when you can tell people you have a "book pimp" named Paul! :smileyvery-happy:


I just spit out my coffee!!!!!!!!   :smileyhappy:


 

Inspired Contributor
CrabbyCat
Posts: 202
Registered: ‎05-04-2010

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

This thread is great!  I feel so at home!

 

...when almost every single one of these posts applies to you, and you can't wipe the smile from your face because you thought you were the only one.

 

...when you have a Word document for all your favorite book quotes, complete with page #s and corresponding cover art.

 

...when your family doesn't complain about the piles of books covering every available surface of the house, but complains about the numerous Word and Excel documents (for your lists like TBRs, new releases, must-haves, etc.) taking up space on the C: drive.

 

...when you decide to donate some books from your overflowing bookshelves, and then see all that empty space, think "what a waste," and then proceed to fill it with new books.

 

...when you're supposed to be buying a business suit for an upcoming interview and buy books instead.

 

...when you're in class and hide your novel behind your textbook because you just couldn't wait to read that next chapter. (my dad would kill me if he knew I've done this)

 

...when you get your new smartphone, and the first app you download is not Angry Birds, but are B&N Store and Goodreads.

 

...when you don't get your daily reading in, you feel like the whole day was a waste.

 

...when your sister is with you when you have to stop at the library, and she refuses to go in for fear of catching some kind of "nerd disease."  (her words, not mine)

the rocket summer 2 Pictures, Images and Photos
Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS
Posts: 302
Registered: ‎02-27-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........


CrabbyCat wrote:

 

...when you're in class and hide your novel behind your textbook because you just couldn't wait to read that next chapter. (my dad would kill me if he knew I've done this)


I did this all through my school days!  My mother went to several conferences in middle and high school about me not giving the teacher the necessary attention because I was always reading a book from under my desk, or inside a book, or in the desk (the old school ones could be propped open).  Ahhh... the good old days!!!

 

You know, when I was in college I went to the retirement party my middle school teacher and she told me that she secretly loved my creative hiding of books and obsessive reading.  It was one of her favorite student stories. 

Inspired Contributor
CrabbyCat
Posts: 202
Registered: ‎05-04-2010

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........


MADIS wrote:

CrabbyCat wrote:

 

...when you're in class and hide your novel behind your textbook because you just couldn't wait to read that next chapter. (my dad would kill me if he knew I've done this)


I did this all through my school days!  My mother went to several conferences in middle and high school about me not giving the teacher the necessary attention because I was always reading a book from under my desk, or inside a book, or in the desk (the old school ones could be propped open).  Ahhh... the good old days!!!

 

You know, when I was in college I went to the retirement party my middle school teacher and she told me that she secretly loved my creative hiding of books and obsessive reading.  It was one of her favorite student stories. 


I got caught a few times, but most of my professors didn't care because I was a straight-A student.  I was always more worried about my dad finding out that I was more interested in dragons and vampires than the college courses he was paying for.

the rocket summer 2 Pictures, Images and Photos
Distinguished Correspondent
Whitecat5000
Posts: 112
Registered: ‎05-29-2010

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

....when your goodreads to-be-read list has approached quadruple digits. 

 

1031 books and counting!!! :smileysurprised:

 

Is there a 12 step program for this?  ....The more important question is would I join even if there was? :smileywink:

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme
Posts: 412
Registered: ‎11-21-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

when your husband says  "Lets take a vacation to The Happiest Place on Earth!"........and the first thing you think is "cool a week at Barnes & Noble"

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme
Posts: 412
Registered: ‎11-21-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

when you have a credit card just for you nook books, and you make sure you get to it before your hubby does each month..........LOL.

 

 

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

when you avoid anything Paul has written, because you know you'll cave the minute you read his review.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

When you reflexively nod your head with no intention of complying whenever your husband says, "You've spent too much--no new books until next month.":smileywink:

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........


kimba88 wrote:

when you avoid anything Paul has written, because you know you'll cave the minute you read his review.


Ahhh, I never avoid Paul's blog reviews. Shakes head. I think I've become almost as addicted to his reviews as I am to books.  

Frequent Contributor
MichelleMuto
Posts: 72
Registered: ‎03-24-2011

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

You know you're a bookaholic when you already have a reading list a mile long, but you download about a dozen more books because of the 3-day weekend. 

 

Like I NEED more books? Really? 

 

...um, yes. She who dies with the most books wins.

The Book of Lost Souls Being a teen witch has never been more fun. Or trouble.
Don’t Fear the Reaper Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me...~Emily Dickinson 17-yr-old Keely Morrison finds that death isn't any easier than life.