Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

dalnewt wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

when you avoid anything Paul has written, because you know you'll cave the minute you read his review.

Ahhh, I never avoid Paul's blog reviews. Shakes head. I think I've become almost as addicted to his reviews as I am to books.  

agreed..but they get me in trouble everytime. I buy almost every book he recommends at both book clubs..but you are right. I get a warm fuzzy feeling at the beginning of the month when i know the new featured books are gonna post and everytime I see a new blog has posted :smileyhappy:

I just need to hit the lottery ..hehe

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

kimba88 wrote:.  

I get a warm fuzzy feeling at the beginning of the month when i know the new featured books are gonna post and everytime I see a new blog has posted :smileyhappy:

Well you said one right there!  When you are anxiously stalking the forum waiting for Paul's monthly featured books to be posted, and then becoming overly excited when they are.  I wonder how many of us have thought about or have PM'd him the last few days of the month to ask what next month's features are? 

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

MichelleMuto wrote:

You know you're a bookaholic when you already have a reading list a mile long, but you download about a dozen more books because of the 3-day weekend. 

Like I NEED more books? Really? 

...um, yes. She who dies with the most books wins.

When you see a writers post on this board and you instantly check it out, then purchase it because it sounded interesting and it was only $1.99 on the Nook.  (Very tasteful plug at the bottom of your post, kudos for that :smileyhappy: )  How can anyone say no to a book so cheap?  It's not like anyone is going to notice that small charge on the credit card.  Oh wait, that books sounds cool and it's only 2.99, and that one sounds just okay but for .99 we should give it a chance...And that is how my credit card bill looks every month.

paulgoatallen

kimba88 wrote:

when you avoid anything Paul has written, because you know you'll cave the minute you read his review.

Geez, thank God I'm not sensitive or anything.....   :smileywink:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

dalnewt wrote:
Ahhh, I never avoid Paul's blog reviews. Shakes head. I think I've become almost as addicted to his reviews as I am to books.  

Not THAT, dalnewt, was AWESOME. Talk about making my day!    :smileyhappy:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

3monstersmom wrote:I wonder how many of us have thought about or have PM'd him the last few days of the month to ask what next month's features are? 

There are more of you than you think – especially via my facebook account – but it makes me feel "needed" so it's nice!

And, please, feel free to message me here or on facebook or wherever about books!

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

paulgoatallen wrote:

3monstersmom wrote:I wonder how many of us have thought about or have PM'd him the last few days of the month to ask what next month's features are? 

There are more of you than you think – especially via my facebook account – but it makes me feel "needed" so it's nice!

And, please, feel free to message me here or on facebook or wherever about books!

Makes you feel needed!  How can you possible doubt how much you are needed around here?  Paul, you're our fearless leader, the goat man, our fabulous book pimp.  Without your input my book collection would be sadly lacking and I would be stuck rereading Twilight (shuddering at the thought).  You're the most needed figure on the boards silly!

paulgoatallen

3monstersmom wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Makes you feel needed!  How can you possible doubt how much you are needed around here?  Paul, you're our fearless leader, the goat man, our fabulous book pimp.  Without your input my book collection would be sadly lacking and I would be stuck rereading Twilight (shuddering at the thought).  You're the most needed figure on the boards silly!

Well, if I'm saving you from rereading Twilight, I suppose that's a public service....  :smileywink:

Thanks, 3mm! xoxoxo

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Geez, thank God I'm not sensitive or anything.....   :smileywink:

it was a compliment of the highest order..when it comes to your reviews and book recommendations I have no self control..Seriously.I can only feed my family hot dogs and pancakes a few times a months or they will get suspicious..LOL hmmm..where did the food money go????:smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

OK guys, stop brown nosing Paul. Fans of PGA are understandable because he writes amusing and accurate, often insightful and, occasionally, fantastic book reviews. (In any case, that's my candid opinion.) But, let's hold down the syrup folks.

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

dalnewt wrote:

OK guys, stop brown nosing Paul. Fans of PGA are understandable because he writes amusing and accurate, often insightful and, occasionally, fantastic book reviews. (In any case, that's my candid opinion.) But, let's hold down the syrup folks.

Wow.  Okay, I had to walk away from the computer for a second because this comment pissed me off.  Not sure how you meant to say this.  Maybe I read more into it than there is because tone is hard to mimic in a post to really tell a person's intention with their words.  I'm a big believer in positive reinforcement, words of encouragement, outspoken kindness, and friendly support.  I meant what I said.  Paul does a lot for these boards, is a highly respected reviewer, a friend, and a good man.  No brown nosing, but if anyone around here deserves it, Paul would be the one.  Let the man get covered in syrup IMO.

And you might be a bookaholic if your willing to get into blows over even a possible misunderstanding regarding your book pimp.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

3monstersmom wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

Wow.  Okay, I had to walk away from the computer for a second because this comment pissed me off.  Not sure how you meant to say this.  Maybe I read more into it than there is because tone is hard to mimic in a post to really tell a person's intention with their words.  I'm a big believer in positive reinforcement, words of encouragement, outspoken kindness, and friendly support.  I meant what I said.  Paul does a lot for these boards, is a highly respected reviewer, a friend, and a good man.  No brown nosing, but if anyone around here deserves it, Paul would be the one.  Let the man get covered in syrup IMO.

And you might be a bookaholic if your willing to get into blows over even a possible misunderstanding regarding your book pimp.

Paul a good/great, book reviewer. I respect his opinions about books. A truthful compliment is all I can offer to Paul in return for his reviews. But, I wouldn't have been stuck re-reading 'Twilight' whether or not I found this board and Paul's reviews. And, I don't believe that you would have been either. But, I can't speak for you, Maybe you would have been. But, in my heart, I believe that you're a  h*ll of a lot smarter than that.

The point is that I'm grateful for finding these boards and Paul, but I don't believe in a compliment or positive reinforcement that intimates that you, I or anyone else on this board would be somehow totally lost w/out guidance, even if that guidance is from the estimable PGA. But, again, I can't speak for you. I can only speak for myself.

Note, I would have had a lot harder time choosing fantasies without the Fantasy board and Paul's reviews. But, I hope I would have eventually muddled through on my own. (I do happen to have a brain, and I can do on-line book searches on my own.) Also, w/out Paul and some other board contributors, I might have missed some of the really excellent reads like the Passage and Feed. Then again, I might have found them on my own. I guess I'll never know.

Contributor
sweetpeaSG

3monstersmom wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

dalnewt.....Wow, cant you tell that is was just some joking around?!?!  It looks like when ever some one else gets alot of attention you get a little defensive, or when you dont get the attention you feel you should. Lighten up some, this is not high school.

and by the way, it looks like you were spreading your fair of syrup too...

dalnewt wrote:

dalnewt
0 Kudos

sweetpeaSG wrote:

and by the way, it looks like you were spreading your fair of syrup too...

dalnewt wrote:

dalnewt wrote

My statement is the unadulterated truth. There is no syrup involved. I intend to read Paul's book reviews so long as I can find them somewhere on the internet. Even when I wasn't posting, I read his blog reviews.  

sweetpeaSG wrote:

dalnewt.....Wow, cant you tell that is was just some joking around?!?!  It looks like when ever some one else gets alot of attention you get a little defensive, or when you dont get the attention you feel you should. Lighten up some, this is not high school.

dalnewt wrote

No offense, but you don't really know me. I have never posted on this board for the purpose of garnering personal attention. I post about books, ideas, opinions, beliefs and, sometimes, to amuse, but never for the purpose of gaining personal attention. I know I should lighten up, but sometimes I am bothered when I feel like a compliment is being paid to a man at the expense of a female poster's intelligence or ability or wherewithal. IMO, every time that happens, (and you know what I mean the 'Oh, I would be so lost w/out you thing'), it perpetuates a secondary female gender role. And, this is true even when the man is an expert in his profession. To thank/recognize the ability and efforts of a male expert is one thing, but to, for instance, tell your male mechanic that you would have tried to blow up a flat tire with a bicycle pump is another.

I should be inured to it by now because it happens so much in real life, literature and entertainment; but for some reason it always bothers me, even if it is offered in the form of a joke. I dislike any perpetuation of a secondary female gender role to compliment a man. I feel like it hurts every woman and future generations of women. And, that's the principle I was really posting about not 'brown nosing.' I just didn't want to offend so I used words like 'syrup' and 'brown nosing' to try to stop any future compliments in the 'Oh, I would be so lost without you' vein. And, I implore everyone reading this post to not take offense. It's just a candid explanation.   

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

dalnewt wrote:.

dalnewt wrote

I know I should lighten up, but sometimes I am bothered when I feel like a compliment is being paid to a man at the expense of a female poster's intelligence or ability or wherewithal. IMO, every time that happens, (and you know what I mean the 'Oh, I would be so lost w/out you thing'), it perpetuates a secondary female gender role. 

LOL, I am a HUGE fan on self-depreciating humor.  It wouldn't of mattered if Paul was a Paul or a Paula, I would of made the same joke.  Just part of my sense of humor.  I know what my intelligence level is and am comfortable with who I am, and have no problem making jokes at my own expense.  Understandably some people don't share that same sense of humor.  

BTW, the number of times I have reread Twilight while trying to survive/fit it into the Stepford Wives club a few years ago will be taken to my deathbed due to shear mortification.  For obvious reasons, I couldn't make it in the club, but at least I had the satisfaction of burning them to the ground and liberating one of their other members when I left.

paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

What is going on in here???

As my two-year old would say, "holey moley!"

I took kimba's post exactly as it was meant – a joke!

I obviously love what I do – it's been my career for almost 20 years – so, yes, I love it when you guys let me know that my reviews/blogs have helped you out in some way. A big reason I do this is because of you guys – the joy I get sharing a great book with you and then hearing about how much you enjoyed it as well.

Okay – now back to reading.

p.s. just started The Rift Walker....wow.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Of course you took the post as a joke Paul. That kind of self depreciating humor offered by a woman to compliment a man is viewed by most people as a joke. But, why is it amusing humor when a woman plays dumb? We see it all the time from Kelly Bundy in Married with Children to the ditzy Edith Bunker in Archie Bunker to Goldie Hawn ala Laugh In. The 'dumb blond' stereotype is acceptable and laughable. If an African American comedian tired to play the dim witted black guy ala Amos and Andy, we'd cry from the housetops that it's racist. But when women assume the role of the dim witted little woman it's ok and funny. Ask yourself why that dichotomy exists? Maybe it's because our society programs us to accept or be more tolerant of the proposition that women are inherently inferior. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

I started this thread to have a little fun and enjoy everyone's funny comments. So, as my mother always taught me (and my brother) If you don't have any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Lets all just have fun and keep it light. Everyone has a different sense of humor and if there's a joke you don't like(or don't find funny), just move on down to the next post.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
paulgoatallen

jgmme wrote:

I started this thread to have a little fun and enjoy everyone's funny comments. So, as my mother always taught me (and my brother) If you don't have any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Lets all just have fun and keep it light. Everyone has a different sense of humor and if there's a joke you don't like(or don't find funny), just move on down to the next post.

!!!!!!!!!You're singing to the choir, Jo!!!!!!!

dalnewt
0 Kudos

sweetpeaSG wrote:

My last comment will be why it's ok to tell someone on this board that they post to get attention? Because I was really offended by that above underlined remark.  

And, I am done with this subject.

*Amen*