Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

Re: You know your a bookaholic when..........

paulgoatallen wrote:

jgmme wrote:

I started this thread to have a little fun and enjoy everyone's funny comments. So, as my mother always taught me (and my brother) If you don't have any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Lets all just have fun and keep it light. Everyone has a different sense of humor and if there's a joke you don't like(or don't find funny), just move on down to the next post.

!!!!!!!!!You're singing to the choir, Jo!!!!!!!

This must be an old photo, you still have a full head of hair Paul....LOL

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
paulgoatallen

jgmme wrote:

HA! I couldn't find a picture of a choir with a bald-headed beardie in it!   :smileyhappy:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

when you stay up till after midnight to make sure your pre-ordered nook books got downloaded!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Inspired Contributor
Yonina_Dove

Re: You know your a backcloth when..........

3monstersmom wrote:

When you have redone your whole schedule around a books release date.

When you have release dates on your calendar like they were family member's birthdays.

When you use the term 'Pulling an All Nighter' in reference to reading all night.

If you have actually debated the importance of sleeping vs reading.

Haha!! Sleeping vs. reading is easy to decide...reading of course!!!! kidding. But i do have this debate with my self often :smileyhappy:

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables me to laugh at life's realities.”
Distinguished Correspondent
Whitecat5000

You drink coffee at 11 PM just so you can stay awake to finish a REALLY great book.

. . . . and have done it more than once. :smileywink:

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

when you hide books from your hubby so he doesn't know how many you have in your TBR pile.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

Whitecat5000 wrote:

You drink coffee at 11 PM just so you can stay awake to finish a REALLY great book.

. . . . and have done it more than once. :smileywink:

I have done that before – and more than once!  :smileyhappy:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
Zkullis

... you would rather admit to the number of people you have slept with than admit how many books are in your TBR pile.   (more of a small mountain than a pile)

:smileywink:

Smite the Damned. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Smite-The-Damned/Zack-Kullis/e/2940012784445 The sequel, Realm Crossing, to be released soon.
paulgoatallen

Zkullis wrote:

... you would rather admit to the number of people you have slept with than admit how many books are in your TBR pile.   (more of a small mountain than a pile)

:smileywink:

Speak for yourself, man!  :smileyhappy:

Author
Zkullis
0 Kudos

LMAO

Smite the Damned. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Smite-The-Damned/Zack-Kullis/e/2940012784445 The sequel, Realm Crossing, to be released soon.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

...when you can't leave your house without your nook, in case the opportunity presents itself to get even a little reading in (standing in line), or my new experiment - I've realized that while I am sitting in traffic for a 1 hour + commute each way everyday, that there really are opportunities to read a few sentences before I need to creep forward again (the bigger the font the better). And yes, the page or 2 that I get through while driving are totally worth it! Don't judge me people- I really miss all the reading time I used to get on the subway. Desperate times call for desparate measures, and all... 

And everyone who has contributed to this topic- thank you for making me feel less like a crazy book freak, it is nice to know I am not alone... :smileytongue:

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Frequent Contributor
MichelleMuto

When you have a reading device with you at all times.

When you have almost as many quotes about books as you do books.

When you have an audio book on your iPod, an audio book on CD in your car, an ebook on your smartphone, and a physical book on the end table. And you can keep them all straight in your head.

When you start reciting lines from your favorite 100 books.

When you have a TBR list sorted by title & genre.

The Book of Lost Souls Being a teen witch has never been more fun. Or trouble.
Don’t Fear the Reaper Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me...~Emily Dickinson 17-yr-old Keely Morrison finds that death isn't any easier than life.
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

jgmme wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

jgmme wrote:

I started this thread to have a little fun and enjoy everyone's funny comments. So, as my mother always taught me (and my brother) If you don't have any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Lets all just have fun and keep it light. Everyone has a different sense of humor and if there's a joke you don't like(or don't find funny), just move on down to the next post.

!!!!!!!!!You're singing to the choir, Jo!!!!!!!

LMAO

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Contributor
nikchik66

so...thank you guys for helping me admit i have a problem..i have done most of the things on here:

the reading in class and my teachers calling my mom to tell her, then getting grounded from reading, then sneaking books under my covers with a flashlight during said grounding,

the librarians at the public not only knowing me by name but ordering my requested books, and saving new releases from my favorite authors before i was old enough to buy them,

sitting all afternoon in a bookstore because i need to finish one more chapter before i go on with the outside world,

the staying up for days to finish books because they are just sooo good,

downloading apps on my phone so i can sneak reading time in at work,

downloading audiobooks so i can listen to them on the drive home because i would rather sit and read than move some days.

the spending food or clothes money on books,

the exasperation of my husband when we go anywhere with books because i have to look to see if there is something i need,

the buying purses that fit books i.e. my dad asked me what i wanted for christmas this year, i said dad the only thing i really need is a new purse. he goes ok, what kind? i said something big enough to fit at least 2 paperbacks, or a hardback and a paper back or a hardback and an ereader. he looked at me like

i was crazy. they found a purse for me and had to show it to me to make sure it was right!(its perfect)

i have several lists of tbr's

i have books i love so much ive read to pieces and then had to buy new copies of the same book, i also have since discovering ebooks downloaded my favorites so that if anything happens to my hard copies (dog chews(omg i hate those) water spilled on them, mis place them) i still always have them on my computer nook and phone...

my ideal day is sitting in the sun under an umbrella in my back yard with a book and a sweet tea in the summer and inside in front of a fire with cocoa in the winter.

my husband dosent understand. my sister and my mother do, but i thought i was weird for the love of books i had. its nice to see that im not alone...its nice that even if i am weird at least there are others out there! so i have a problem...its ok...i accept it!

Contributor
mf99

1) When not only do all the librarians at your local library know you but they will put items on hold for you that you don't know about (this is why my librarians are awesome).

2) you own more than one library card (in my defense, they are for two different cities)

I was also very glad to find that I wasn't the only one who arranges my purses by the number of books they can hold. I mentioned that to someone earlier this week and they thought I was joking. Or crazy.

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

When you buy youself a gift card at B&N for Christmas.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Frequent Contributor
lilythdarkheart

When you are searching for a house to buy and the specifications must include a room dedicated only to books, like in beauty and the beast.

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

When you tell everyone that all you want for any gift is GC for books and restaurants that deliver, and the only reason you asked for the food ones is so you don't have to stop reading to feed the family.

Frequent Contributor
0198lilly

I don't post often, but I am here reading the postings a lot.  I started reading through these and then started reading them to my husband.  I was laughing soo hard I was crying (how true these comments are) and I think my husband is secretly relieved I'm not the only one that is a "bookaholic".  I love reading the monthly reviews and have found many new(and old) books to read from this site. Thank you Paul and all the other contributors-I appreciate all of you.