Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

Re: the Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake) thread

Fangbanger wrote:

Katie, I'm curious what you think about NiC so far.  It's interesting.  I read the Anita Blake books for the character interaction and this one has loads of it.  People have complained about the ardeur, but I think Anita's reaction to it has been realistic so far.  It's a hunger and she is only human.  I know people compare it to a date rape drug, but so far Anita has "fed" off anyone who wasn't attracted to her, so...

I love NIC! I really do believe its the turning point in the series where Laurell concentrates less on crimes and more on Anita's metaphysical abilities, which I love. I also feel Anita's reaction to the ardeur is realistic and that she is only human. I believe as the series goes on, she'll have more control over it, like Jean-Claude said, and she'll feed the ardeur with people who are actually attracted to her.

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
New User
nnicolodemos
0 Kudos

LOL. I prefer Jean Claude personally, but I admit the seductive essence of these books is a Huge reason I keep going back to read more:smileyhappy: I've always loved the supernatural books and what I like best about Laurell is that, like you said, there is no box. She brings in every supernatural creature I can think of, plus a few others. Love it!
Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

Yeah, I like Jean Claude more than I used too.  I used to be completely on Richard's side, but now I'm totally with Anita.  His touchy-feely, whiny, crap is just getting on my nerves.  Micah seems much more Anita's speed.  The way people talked about the book, was just that Anita went crazy sexually, but it's realistic, to me anyways, the way she's reacting to the ardeur.  I'm just at the chapter where they've reached the lupanar to try and save Gregory.  I can't wait to find out what happens next.
Frequent Contributor
LadyMercury
0 Kudos

Fangbanger wrote:
Yeah, I like Jean Claude more than I used too.  I used to be completely on Richard's side, but now I'm totally with Anita.  His touchy-feely, whiny, crap is just getting on my nerves.  Micah seems much more Anita's speed.  The way people talked about the book, was just that Anita went crazy sexually, but it's realistic, to me anyways, the way she's reacting to the ardeur.  I'm just at the chapter where they've reached the lupanar to try and save Gregory.  I can't wait to find out what happens next.

What a way to come out of Obsidian Butterfly, eh? (^_^)
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

It was a little jarring going from the mostly action of Obsidian Butterfly, to the more erotic, relationship based Narcissus In Chains.  But as I've said, even if I didn't know from reading reviews, the previous books from The Killing Dance on, have dropped hints that this new direction was coming.  It's definitely not for everyone, but I'm pretty invested in all these characters and want to know what's going to happen.  NiC has totally kept my attention, and I just want to read it.  I don't want to put it down. 
Inspired Contributor
DarkHeart
0 Kudos

I'm glad to see everyone coming to Laurell's defense.  I've only read the first Anita Blake novel so far - though I own the first four, and I'm currently on the second Meredith Gentry audio book - but I completely agree that people take all of these things too personal.  I've seen it happen with J.R. Ward and I've heard some rumblings with Sherrilyn Kenyon now as well.  There are enough authors out there that if you don't like where a series has gone, you can move on to something else.  Laurell will write what she wants and how she wants the stories to go and you can either choose to stay along for the ride or not.  One of these days I'm going to get back to Anita, regardless of what I've heard - and decide for myself.  Until then, I'll continue my enjoyment of Merry while she ponders between Frost and Darkness.  :smileywink:
~ Nicole
New User
nnicolodemos
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading Burnt Offerings, after having read the previous 4 books, I already have the next two on hold. Incubus Dreams sucked me into the series but I am realy enjoying Burnt Offerings, so much is going on and I'm having a really hard time putting it down! I like Richard as the devil's advocate to Jean Claude but I've never been one for the martyr characters either. I always enjoy the characters who believe in revelling in what they are because it's better than living in torment. I haven't been around enough on he sites, I guess because I didn't know there was a big LKH bashing going but I can't say I'm too surprised. Some people are easily offended and instead of just moving on, they choose to harp on it. Who knows why! It's just Fiction!-unfortunately :smileyhappy:
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

So, I just finished Narcissus In Chains.  I enjoyed the book.  I was happy that Anita and Richard finally resolved their situation, even though I know that I'm sure it will flare up again, since she's still going to be involved in the pack.  It was a big book.  I don't just mean page count, but so far I would say this is the definitive book in the series.  The ardeur is interesting and I can see how it could be used as a crutch.  The only thing that bothered me was the missing were's subplot.  I felt like it was kind of tacked on, and resolved too quickly for my tastes.  Laurell should know that her readers are fine with an installment that's all character development.  There doesn't have to be any mystery or detective work.  I just dug into Cerulean Sins.  I can't wait. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
lilithesquee
0 Kudos

As I read y'alls posts as you work through the anita books, I realize what I REALLY HATE about Anita Blake, and Merry Books as well.  I already read them.  I have gone back and re-read some of them and it is a good experience but nothing like the first time through.  I am so jelous.  Now I wait wait wait for the next book, then read it in a day and then wait wait wait.  Oh well, enjoy! 

Lily

Dude, Where's My Book!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

lilithesquee wrote:

As I read y'alls posts as you work through the anita books, I realize what I REALLY HATE about Anita Blake, and Merry Books as well.  I already read them.  I have gone back and re-read some of them and it is a good experience but nothing like the first time through.  I am so jelous.  Now I wait wait wait for the next book, then read it in a day and then wait wait wait.  Oh well, enjoy! 

Lily

What she said!

Frequent Contributor
Ivonne
0 Kudos

I love the Anota Blake Series!

www.bookreadertimes.com

New User
foxicherokee

I am also a very big fan of Laurell K. Hamilton's,  and I believe that she is the writer, more than any other, whose works serve as examples of exactly "what to do" when a new writer needs inspiration.  Just open up GUILTY PLEASURES,  and you have the beginning of an entirely new way of approaching fantasy/horror genre.  At least, it was new to me...; forgive me if I am mistaken, but I don't believe that any other writer has ever combined action/humor/sex  (perhaps all in the same sentence!) as creatively as LKH. .....

She is amazing! 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

foxicherokee wrote:

I am also a very big fan of Laurell K. Hamilton's,  and I believe that she is the writer, more than any other, whose works serve as examples of exactly "what to do" when a new writer needs inspiration.  Just open up GUILTY PLEASURES,  and you have the beginning of an entirely new way of approaching fantasy/horror genre.  At least, it was new to me...; forgive me if I am mistaken, but I don't believe that any other writer has ever combined action/humor/sex  (perhaps all in the same sentence!) as creatively as LKH. .....

She is amazing! 

Here Here!!

Author
JCStein

Of course by now, you all know the news:

Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series has
been snapped up by the Independent Film Channel in a deal that marks the
cable network/film distributor's first foray into made-for-TV movies.
The telefilm, based on Hamilton's bestselling series about a vampire
hunter who "re-animates" the dead in a futuristic St. Louis, is slated to bow in summer 2010. Glen Morgan (X-Files, Final Destination) is serving as executive producer.

What I don't know is if IFC is a cable or premium channel. If not, how will they ever translate the later books for TV?

Jeanne

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

JCStein wrote:

hunter who "re-animates" the dead in a futuristic St. Louis, is slated to bow in summer 2010. Glen Morgan (X-Files, Final Destination) is serving as executive producer.

What I don't know is if IFC is a cable or premium channel. If not, how will they ever translate the later books for TV?

Jeanne

*GASP!!*  That is fricken AWESOME news!!  I'm so excited!  One would be suspicious that something like this could turn out to be horrendous (as in the show being nothing like the books), but with Glen Morgan at the helm?  Should turn out VERY well.  I cannot wait!  :smileyhappy:
My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Fangbanger wrote:
So, I just finished Narcissus In Chains.  I enjoyed the book.  I was happy that Anita and Richard finally resolved their situation, even though I know that I'm sure it will flare up again, since she's still going to be involved in the pack.  It was a big book.  I don't just mean page count, but so far I would say this is the definitive book in the series.  The ardeur is interesting and I can see how it could be used as a crutch.  The only thing that bothered me was the missing were's subplot.  I felt like it was kind of tacked on, and resolved too quickly for my tastes.  Laurell should know that her readers are fine with an installment that's all character development.  There doesn't have to be any mystery or detective work.  I just dug into Cerulean Sins.  I can't wait. :smileyhappy:

Ooooooh lucky you!  I remember when I first read the series...I couldn't read the books fast enough they were sooooo good!  Then I read her Merry Gentry books and loved them just as much.  Happy reading!
My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

JCStein wrote:

Here it used be a part of the standard cable package; now it's part of some add-on movie channel package.

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

JCStein wrote:

Jeanne

Yeah I heard the rumor, but not the dates, a couple of days ago.

IFC in most areas is a premium channel, or the add level just below HBO. 

Though IFC often put their stuff up on the web a mere 2 months after broadcast. Check their web site www.IFC.com .

Inspired Contributor
SarahReadsAlot
0 Kudos

i love the series as it is

What does it mean when nightmares long for dreams and shadows wish for light?
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

That is awesome news about the show.  I can't wait.  I hope they pick decent actors.  I don't know if anyone reads LKH's blog, but I guess, her longtime personal assistant Darla quit.  That came as quite a shock to me. 

As far as the novels are going, I'm right in the middle of Incubus Dreams.  It's probably my least favorite so far.  I understand that Laurell is using this book to explain the ardeur and establish Anita's new triumverate, but it's getting to be a little long in the tooth.  I'm on track though to be finished with the series in time for Skin Trade in June.  I cannot wait for that book to come out.  I miss Edward and I hear that Skin Trade is going to be similar to Obsidian Butterfly with Anita, Olaf, and Bernardo in Vegas.  I have a funny feeling that Bernardo may be getting his ardeur on with Anita.