paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: vampire/werewolf books!!!

LordRuthven wrote:
FWIW, I think I read part of Petru Popescu's "In Hot Blood" many years ago and it was not YA. Has it recently been reissued, or was it YA (I could be thinking of a different book)?
Message Edited by LordRuthven on 09-14-2008 12:10 PM

Derek:

I forgot – did you ever get a chance to read Nicholas Pekearo's The Wolfman?  What'd you think? I loved it... I vaguely remember you liking it. Am I right?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

No, I never read it since it was released when I was concentrating on my event authors, but I definitely want to read it. It (unfortunately) reminded me of an idea I had been working on, so I wanted to read for similarities. Oh well, I am sure I'll really like it.
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
Guerneymember12
0 Kudos

The Blue bloods by Melissa de la cruz are great.  books 1 and 2 are out and I have been waiting for book 2 forever, but you guys are lucky because its coming out in November!!
New User
mis_understood_anarchist
0 Kudos

eighth grade bites and ninth grade slays chronicles of vladamir tod by heather brewer
Contributor
amberia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey, everyone who already posted took my response.

From Christine Feehan to Sherrilyn Kenyon, J.R. Ward,  Gena Showalter and Jacquelyn Frank, and so many others.... they're great books, huh?!?

Message Edited by amberia on 11-13-2008 01:52 PM
New User
heabear
0 Kudos

i just recently started reading a keri arthur book the Riley Jensen series there are 7 books total 1 due to come out in march this year, you should look into it, if you havent already read the series.

New User
will_kat
0 Kudos

I have to second the Sookie Stakehouse series. They're like the grown up verion of twilight. Depending on how old you are you might really like them.
New User
intern1989
0 Kudos

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that New York Times and USA Today Best-Selling Author L.A. Banks is coming out with a new book!!

Undead on Arrival (The next book in her crimson moon series) is being released March 31, 2009!

And to all the Vampire Huntress Legends fans, don't worry. L.A. Banks will be release the next book in the series this summer!

The Vampire Huntress Legends: Dawn and Darkness comes out September 1, 2009.

For more information on L.A. Banks, check out my blog!

http://intern1989.wordpress.com/

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

L.A. Banks is a nice person and a compelling speaker. She remembers that vampires can be used as metaphors and not just as entertainment (not that there is anything wrong with that!).
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
PamelaKKinneyPK

[ Edited ]

I noticed that you have Book Crazy Teen, and so some of the books mentioned here are great, but are not appropriate for teens. Even though I am sure you know about sex and all, it's just not appropriate. I write erotic paranoral romance as Sapphire Phelan and when I am selling my own stuff won't sell and sign to a teen.

But there are plenty good books. Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (She did a vamp book, too--The Silver kiss). There's The Wolf Man: Hunter's Moon by Michael Jan Friedman. This second one is a sequel to the classic Wolf Man movie from the forties and I am sure the remake coming out next month to theaters.

There's The Wolfen (my fave werewolf novel of all time and it's a different take on werewolves) by Whitley Strieber. This may be out of print, but your local bookstore might be able to find a used copy or through Amazon. The author also did two vampire books in a series, too--The Hunger is the first one.

When the Autumn Moon is Bright:The Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter by Brian Easton. Heart of Scars:The Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter by Brian Easton. Werewolf Rising by R. L. LaFevers.

VAMPIRE BOOKS:

Dracula--hasn't anyone mention this book? There's also

The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. The 30 Days of Night graphic novel. The Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith. Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde. Marked by P. C. Cast (there's a series here). Ninth Grade Slays by Heather Brewer. The Society of S and Year of Disappearnace by Susan Hubbard. Prom Nights from hell by Meg Cabot.

Melissa De La Cruz's Blue Bloods (a series here).

Anyway, I am sure betwen me and many others here you got a lot of good samplings. There's loads more out there since forever. Just google werewolf or vampire books and read the blurbs about them.

A good magazine that I got a short story in their fifth issue, but is nothing but about werewolves is Werewolf magazine. You can find them here: http://www.bloodmoonrisingmagazine.com/werewolfmag.html .

And if like reading about vampire legends and myths too: Actual Factual: Dracula, a Compendium of Vampire by Theresa Bane--you learn every mt=yth ever told all over the world for centuries.

Pamela K. Kinney

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 04-20-2009 07:43 PM
Pamela K. Kinney is an author of published horror, science fiction, fantasy, horror, poetry, and the nonfiction book, Haunted Richmond, Virginia, published by Schiffer Publishing, along with Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales coming fall 2009 from Schiffer Publishing, too. Using the pseudonym, Sapphire Phelan, she has published erotic and sweet paranormal/fantasy/science fiction romance, along with poetry and couple of erotic horror stories, one, a Lovecraftian novella, Unwitting Sacrifice, published by Under the Moon, now available. She also has done acting on stage and in films, plus is a costumer. Find out more about her at: http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com or at either of her MySpaces: http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney and http://www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan.
New User
amybrown
0 Kudos

there are many i can recommend you!

blood & chocolate

chosen

twilight

new moon

eclipse

breaking dawn

silver kiss

american vampire

vampire hunter

anno dracula

argeneau series

black dagger brotherhood

blood ties

buffy the vampire novels

the calling

casa dracula series

dark series

dark one series

dark-hunter novels

Inspired Contributor
SarahReadsAlot
0 Kudos

im not sure of your age so im not sure if you would like these or if anyone else has talked about them but some of my favorites are

Karen Chance

Jeaniene Frost

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Jordan Summers

Caitlin Kittredge

Kim Harrison

What does it mean when nightmares long for dreams and shadows wish for light?
New User
Cass82
0 Kudos

Charlene Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series

Full Moon Rising

Moon Called

Inspired Contributor
sandySG
0 Kudos

werewolves (books i've read and liked): 

Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs

1. Moon Called
  2.   Blood Bound
  3. Iron Kissed
  4. Bone Crossed
Alpha and Omega Series by Patricia Briggs
The series began as a short story in On the Prowl and so you have to read that first to completely get what is going on in the rest of the series.
  1. Cry Wolf (book 1 leaves off where the anthology ended)
  2. Hunting Ground (August 2009) 
Bitten by Kelley Armstrong 

blood and chocolate by annette kurtis clause

fool moon by jim butcher

tempting danger by eileen wilks

the silver wolf by alice borchardt

The wereling series by Stephen Cole
  1. Wounded
  2. Prey
  3. Resurrection
Wolf moon by charles de lint

need by carrie jones (has werewolf/shapeshifters in it)

Hawksong by Amelia Atwater Rhodes (shapeshifters)
Snakecharm by Amelia Atwater Rhodes
Falcondance by Amelia Atwater Rhodes

now vampires...:

Of course you have the Twilight saga by Stephenie Meyer 

Evernight by Claudia Gray
Stargazer by Claudia Gray

Glass Houses (Morganville Vampire Series) by Rachel Caine

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld (something like vampires)
The Last Days by Scott Westerfeld

Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater Rhodes (a short read that I didn't want to end)
Demon in my View By Amelia Atwater Rhodes (a short read that I didn't want to end)
Persistence of Memory by Amelia Atwater Rhodes 

evermore by Alyson Noel (immortal series)

i've also heard of other books that i haven't gotten to read yet such as:

house of night series by PC Cast 
cirque du freak series by darren shan
charlaine harris's  sookie stackhouse series
chronicles of vladimer todd (vampires)
the jaz parks series
vampire kisses by ellen schreiber
 the blue bloods series by melissa de la cruz
dangerous girls by RL Stine
the vampire diaries series
vampire academy series 

i can probably name a ton more cuz i look up books all the time...but i think i should stop here... ^_^ 

New User
Ever_vampire
0 Kudos

I don't know why but since I moved I've been reading a lot for a 11 year old. But  the Cirque Du Freak series was great. It talks about how the universe chose a guy called Mr.. Desmond Tiny. HAHAHA (Okay the joke is if you shorten his first name to Des, then attach it to his last name Tiny. You get Mr.. Destiny. Get it , destiny) And its about how a kid goes to a freak show with his evil friend and ends up becoming a vampire.

Another good book is Sunshine it's about a woman who is a magic handler (wizard) and is taken hostage by a group of vampires. Then tries to escape with the help of a another prisoner who was a vampire. With the help of him and some under cover agency demons she escapes they're (the kidnapper's) layer.

There is VAMPIRE HIGH. It wasn't what I thought it would be but it's one of those just to pass the time books.

There's this really good series about vamps called "The House Of Night" and it is really good for only five books!!!

Evermore is a book about immortals but it is going to have a second book!!

Have a FANGTASTICAL night! Uless the fangs come to greet heavenly.

New User
Ever_vampire
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Your wrong about the Peeps book there is a second but the auther just didn't name the series. The second book is called The Last Days

Have a FANGTASTIC night.Unless the fangs come to greet heavenly.

Message Edited by Ever_vampire on 05-10-2009 12:27 AM
Frequent Contributor
Paranormal77
0 Kudos

Ok im also not sure how old you are.  There is an author that seems to not be as well known to many.  C L . Wilson is a fantastic writer who writes about a king that has to find a mate to protect his people from extinction. Wilsons style of writing is fantastic and even though it has been a while since I have read the 3 books by this Author, I believe it is ok for teens. Wilson only has 3 books which is quite disappointing because these books were beautifully written.  Other than that everyone has mentioned all of the books that I would recommend. :smileyhappy: However if you have not read the host by Stephanie Myer give it a try.  It is a different book and has had mixed reviews as the concept of the book is really different.  Hope this helps.

~Paranormal77

King of Sword and Sky Lord of the Fading Lands Lady of Light and Shadows   
~Paranormal 77
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Homes
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Paranormal77 wrote:

Ok im also not sure how old you are.  There is an author that seems to not be as well known to many.  C L . Wilson is a fantastic writer who writes about a king that has to find a mate to protect his people from extinction. Wilsons style of writing is fantastic and even though it has been a while since I have read the 3 books by this Author, I believe it is ok for teens. Wilson only has 3 books which is quite disappointing because these books were beautifully written.  Other than that everyone has mentioned all of the books that I would recommend. :smileyhappy: However if you have not read the host by Stephanie Myer give it a try.  It is a different book and has had mixed reviews as the concept of the book is really different.  Hope this helps.

~Paranormal77

King of Sword and Sky Lord of the Fading Lands Lady of Light and Shadows   

How right you are, I really enjoy her writing and book 4 Queen of Song and Souls was due out in September, but has been delayed. It may be out this year but she's not guarantying it.

Frequent Contributor
CULLENCRAZY
0 Kudos

I would suggest The Undead Series by Maryjanice Davidson and The Accidental Series by Dakota Cassidy.

New User
vampwolfgrl
0 Kudos

You could look into Keri Arthur. Very good books by her. Riley Jenson novels by Keri Arthur. Riley is part vamp and werewolf she has two lovers and one a sexy vamp and the either is a werewolf. She has a bother who's seeing a werewolf named liander. Riley works for the directorate which is police for non-humans. THere are about 7 books following the riley jenson novels, and the first to read is full moon rising. There are demons, ghost, shapeshifters, all different kinds like cats birds , and more. And its not a book for the young little kids. Has lots of detail involving sexual circumstance's it and let me know if you like it.