Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen
0 Kudos

Re: what to do after twilight saga???

I've got another great YA book to recomend.  "Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side" comes out in Feb.  I picked it up at BEA over the summer and all I could say was "wow."  It's a quick read, but it's funny, with likeable "ordinary" (but not really, lol) heroine.  It's a Vampire love story (think "Twilight" meets "The Princess Diaries"), but her take on the Vampire mythos is very cool.  The ending is fantastic. 
New User
wendy-witch
0 Kudos

it is aimed to teens obvisouly but there is a goth girl in it if you don't mind a goth girl but there isn't much about gothic things and there is vampires if you like vampires

"i want a relationship I can sink my teeth into"

-Alexander Sterling

New User
gypsy312

WELL , THIS WONT COMPARE TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA BUT...I STARTED THE  SOOKIE STACKHOUSE NOVELS AFTER THE TWILIGHT SERIES AND NOW I JUST LOVE THESE BOOKS!...I REALLY STARTED TO ENJOY THEM AFTER THE SECOND BOOK SO GOOD LUCK! BY THE WAY THE FIRST BOOK IS CALLED DEAD UNTIL DARK...YOU'LL LOVE THEM.

Correspondent
NenetRN
0 Kudos

Hey!..... what do you mean Sookie won't compare to the twilight saga?..... i loved the Sookie series and i think it at least gives twilight a run for it's money.  :smileyhappy:
* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
New User
darkdramatica
0 Kudos

OK. I have to admit I had a hard time letting the twilight saga go. I ended up reading the series twice. The first time, I read all four books in about 7 days, so I figured I would read it again and slow down this time so I could catch any details I missed. I guess I read it OK the first time because it all came across the same..... So, I needed something else. I am an Anne Rice fan so of course, I liked the books in her Vampire Chronicles series, but some of those are hard to stick with. I have figured out that there are some that capture my attention more than others and it is not entirely mandatory to read them all or even in order.... Memnoch the Devil was one of my particular favorites and Tale of the Body Theif was great too. I have read these several times in the past (long before twilight). I found though that my experience with twilight made it hard to find something else to read that kept me that entranced in the book. But, it is possible.... Check out Lynda Hilburn's The Vampire Shrink and Dark Harvest. They are the first two of the series. Dark Harvest just came out in October 2008. I will say that if you are within the recommended age for the Twilight Sage, these maybe a little too explicit. They are not young adult, but they are not totally X-rated all the way through. I would say it is very much a 16 years and up series. The books are a lot shorter though, around or just less than 400 pages. I finished them both is less than 48 hours and I work full time with a demanding career, so they are pretty easy reads. If anyone else reads them, please let me know what you think. I would be interested to see if anyone else was as in love with Devereaux and Kismet's characters as I was. Lynda Hilburn said in several interviews that she is wanting to make this series very long, so I'm sure there are going to be much more books to come on this one. She has a few others under a different pen name and even a couple more under Lynda Hilburn that I am interested in, so I will be starting there next. I will say, on the Vampire Shrink, don't judge too much on the title before reading. I thought the title was cheesy to say the least, but something drew me in. You can read the first 6 chapters of it on google's book review/preview website. I got drawn in that way and ordered both books from Amazon so I could get started.
New User
KimmyRoss
0 Kudos

I highly suggest the 'City Of Bones' series, by Cassandra Clare. theyve got the mythical aspect that captivates us inTwilight, as well as some romance. The series is:
1. City Of Bones
2.City Of Ashes
3. City Of Glass(released March 24th 2009)

i read them after twilight and i just cant wait for the 3rd.
i hope you enjoy them as much as i do! =]]
New User
Finkygar
0 Kudos

I'm an avid reader, and I bought the Twilight series for my pre-teen daughter. I pre-read them all for her within a week, and I'm still trying to figure out what was so captivating about them.... Let's face it - they are not great literature, and there are so many other vampire stories out there that are just as worthy, but still... I have to admit they ARE captivating! Maybe it's the combination of Stephanie Meyers' characters, the vampire mystique and teen love/angst that makes them so appealing to so many of us. I have read many books since Twilight, but I cannot really say that any were quite "like" them... some were even better. :smileyhappy: My recommendations depend somewhat on the age of the reader, and whether or not it is the romance or vamp aspect that appeals to you most.

Post Twilight Vamp reads:

Nora Roberts Circle Trilogy (Morrigan's Cross; Valley of Silence; Dance of the Gods) is not strictly vamp, but is definitely a decent supernatural read. Includes Wizards, witches, shape shifters and vamps. Don't just read the first one - you have to read all three!

My Immortal by Erin McCarthy is pretty good. Adult book - probably not appropriate for teens.

The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith - another set of Teen Vampire stories. Different than Twilight, but good books for teens in my opinion. Very readable, like Twilight.

L.J. Smith's Night World Series is good, too. Again, not strictly about Vamps... mostly centered around witches, but includes werewolves, shapeshifters and vampires, too. In my opinion, these are okay for teens.

For romance readers: Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series is very good. Not a vampire series, but the books are light, entertaining reads with colorful and sensual characters and a supernatural / time travel element interwoven through the stories. Plots are centered around the Druids and Faeries (NOT the Tinkerbell kind - these faeries are meddlesome. More like Pan in Midsummer Night's Dream) definitely not for kids- pretty explicit love scenes! Great for adults, though.

Also check out K.M. Moning's newer Darkfever; Bloodfever; Faefever series. These are somewhat related to the Highlander series, but are focused less on the romance, and more on the occult Fae/Druid conflict that threatens and involves humans. Magic spells, runes, deadly UnSeelie monsters, priceless powerful relics, characters with special powers, etc. Compulsively readable - give them a try.

Happy reading! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen
0 Kudos

I loved LJ smith as a teen.  The Secret Circle Trilogy (about witches) especially made a huge impact on my in about the 8th grade.  I was sad when they went out of print.  I'm so glad they're reprinting them for a whole new group of teens to enjoy. 

~Suzanne 

Finkygar wrote:

The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith - another set of Teen Vampire stories. Different than Twilight, but good books for teens in my opinion. Very readable, like Twilight.

L.J. Smith's Night World Series is good, too. Again, not strictly about Vamps... mostly centered around witches, but includes werewolves, shapeshifters and vampires, too. In my opinion, these are okay for teens.

Contributor
forsythia
0 Kudos

I personally recommend you NOT read anything else UNTIL you read the LJ SMITH books The Vampire Diaries series. A new one is being released Feb. 10, 09. And The Secret Circle Series. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM. I can not say this enough! 

I, too, fell in love with the Twilight series and didn't know what to do afterwards. I still have yet to read breaking dawn because I hated where Stephenie went after Eclipse. And I read the spoilers and was disappointed. I read LJ Smith's books after I read the twilight series even though they came out way before and i liked them WAY better.

Let me know if you read them and if you like them or not!

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

I have a question about the vampire diaries series...what age group is it for? I finished the sookie stackhouse series and I'm currently on the 2nd book from the blackdagger brotherhood series. Is the vamp diaries book really a much younger type of story? Because as many of you know the BDB books are faaar from a teen read lol

thanks for your help!

New User
Twilightrox98
0 Kudos

I have also read the Twilight Saga, finished it quickly and am still obsessed over the books. I was horrified when I finished the series because that was really the only time I thought about what would I read after the series. Before I read Twilight, I read the Clique series and enjoyed them. I still in a way like them but I pity them at the same time. They can't compare at all to me. The series I am reading now is The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and they are pretty good. I get bored with reading them (not just those books but any books) and end up reading one of the Twilight books sitting next to me. I love Twilight, but I am upset that I can't read anything any more without me getting bored. And lastly, if you go with the Clique, the books are very short and you will probably finish the series quickly. Best luck to you and, well, me.
New User
Lisa27
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I fell in love with the Twilight sga as well, however I have found a few books afterwards that were page turners. One Stephanie Meyer mentions on her website. It is called The Hunger Games.

Another series I would suggest reading is The City of Bones, Immortal Instruments The second book is City of Ashes and the third is City of Glass.

I was hooked the way I was with Twilight not for the same reasons but the books suck you in the characters are great and the story is so well written with loads of twists and turns.

Lisa

New User
LoveWritingStorys
0 Kudos

Ok i just started reading 'Marked' by the Cast girls and I love it! It does have some mature things in it, so I warned you. But its pretty good(I mean after one day of reading it). This is a book that the things said in it didn't affect me caus ive heard worse in my school, but if you read Breaking Dawn with out totally freaking out i think that (from what i know of this book so far) that its defiently a teen book, no tweens, unless you can deal with some inappropriate parts.

Great book otherwise after the first what, five chapters.

Go Sea Shepherds! if you don't know who these people are i suggest you do the following, watch Whale Wars, bing or google them or ask a friend who watches Whale Wars.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I think that the reason it has some matlurity to the books is because they are being written by Mother and Daughter team.   I have enjoyed the books so far though I have not read the fifth book and the sixth will be out later this fall.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
Lisa27
0 Kudos

Read City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass, they are not Twilight but I am sure you will become fond of them.

This is the first series I was able to read after Twilight.

They are about Demons, Demon Hunters (known as shadow hunters) Vampires, Warlocks, Werewolves, and Fearies.

Cassandra Clare is the author.

Look it up I am sure there is some sort of review out there.

Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

Cutecat,

I would recommend Judy Blume's young adult books before I would recommend the Clique series by Lisi Harrison.  I think Judy Blume deals with the issues of peer pressure and puberty in a much more realistic manner.  I found the Clique series to be a brand overload of expensive clothing and other accessories that I don't really believe truly represents a good role model for young adults. 

You did not state your age in this post, however I believe that all the recommendations I make from this point on will be appropriate enough if you were allowed to read Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer.  I agree with the poster here who didn't really see the appeal of the Twilight series since even as a teenager I preferred strong female literary role models.  I thought Bella being rescued by Edward 3 times in Twilight (not counting the first rescue from James that involved the whole family) to be an excessive use of the damsel in distress theme.

You did say that the books did not need to be vampire books, so I am not going to recommend any vampire books.  I have not read the recent vampire series that are out now.  I will say that for a romantic read I would recommend Beauty by Robin McKinnley the retelling of the classic story of Beauty and the Beast.  It is a very good pararomantic read.  It was recommended to me my freshman year of high school by the high school librarian and does not include any inappropriate material.

For good Paranormal young adult reading I would recommend Lois Duncan.  Her books enthralled me when I was younger.  I wanted to be some of her characters I was so in love with their powers.  They are not really romantic reads, but they are very good young adult books that include the supernatural and they are stand alone books, not book series, so they do not require you to buy 4 books to get the whole story.

If you are in high school I would hands down recommend Andre Norton for strong female characters and world building.  Her Witch World books are awesome and led me to fall in love with other fantasy and sci-fi authors.  They are a great gateway to many other great contemporary sci-fi and fantasy authors.  She has written more than just the Witch World books, but that was where I started. 

I do not normally read young adult fiction now as I don't have children and usually read Mercedes Lackey, Stephen King, Anne McCaffrey, L. E. Modesitt and many other authors that write adult fiction.  The last young adult series I read before Twilight was the J. K. Rowling Harry Potter books.  It was actually Rowling that made me realize I might be missing some interesting books by ignoring the young adult genre.

I haven't read the Eragon series yet, but I did take it out of my local library.  I find it fascinating that he was only 15 years old when he wrote the first book.  I have only read the first chapter, but I am impressed with his skill.  After I finish his books I am planning to read the Inkheart books since I have heard very good things about Cornelia Funke.  I am going to see if my library has them first though.

So many books, so little time.  I do believe that if you want to get away from the vampire genre and thus work on your Edward/Bella obsession that my recommendations would be good.  They are so different that you should fall in love with at least one of the authors.  Just getting away from paranormal romance should help you learn to appreciate other themes. 

I do not normally read romance novels, not even pararomance novels with the exception of Beauty by McKinley.  I don't know if there is another book or series that has a similar love story to that of Edward/Bella, but I do know that I was disappointed that Bella turned out to love Jacob nearly as much as Edward (though not as obsessively). 

It cheapened the romance for me.  It seemed to me that Bella was in love with two people at the same time and did not make an informed choice since Edward was her "first" love.  It was too similar to the Harlequin Romance novels (all two) that my friend in high school loaned me in the love triangle theme.  I have nothing against marrying your first love (my husband was my first and only actual love), however I don't think that Bella was very worldly, she was so sheltered that her inexperience did not make her choice of Edward believable to me.

New User
Becca_Hamilton
0 Kudos

I love the Sookie Stackhouse novels--those will keep you busy for a while, but they are more adult geared. Someone told me about the Vampire Academy novel, and that seems good for YA, but wasn't my thing.

I am a writer myself, though my book isn't published (guess that makes me a dreamer, not a writers) It's still a work in progress, but you can read the first few chapters here for free:

http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=15535

Pitch:
A witch attempts to silence a curse, discovers her ancestor was hanged, and must uncover a missing body to save those she loves from genocide.

There are vampires in there too, but not in the opening chapters (Sorry vamp-lovers!)

I would love feedback from readers--what you like, what you didn't like, all would be great. (if you want to sign up and let me know, or drop by my blog and tell me)

I also have a blog, and I'd love comments on the guestbook from readers telling me what they want to read about. I'd like to set up a section on my blog geared toward readers, and what better what to do that than ask what the reader wants?

I also do book reviews on my blog, so you can check it out and see what books I like and why.

http://rebecca-hamilton.com/

Contributor
bassjules
0 Kudos

If you haven't already read The Host and the Bree Tanner book, I really enjoyed A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/A-Certain-Slant-of-Light/Laura-Whitcomb/e/9780618585328/?itm=1

It's a ghost story that takes place in high school and I really fell in love with the characters.

New User
Marian_B
0 Kudos

I loved Twilight as well, and have been desperately seeking something similar ever since..I'm reading 1-2 books a week now, sometimes even more - yep I think I've got myself a reading addiction :-)

Of all the books I've read - most of them in the YA paranormal genre - a few stood out. Someone mentioned A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb, and I agree on that - a great original tale about ghosts. Other than that, I've devoured The Immortal Instruments series (amazing!!!), The Wake Series, Poison Study, The Host, Graceling and many others.

If you want, have a look at my blog where I've reviewed all of these books, you might get tips there!

http://readingaftertwilight.wordpress.com/

Happy reading!

New User
ellenmaze
0 Kudos

Hi Cutecat,

Have you started reading Eragon? It is really fun, and I recommend it. As for age-appropriate vampire series, I'm an author promoting mine. It is loved in print for the past year (over 60 5-stars!) and only just now available on Nook. Since you asked, I can suggest mine with confidence!! Basic Tagline of Book #1, "Whoever thought writing a bestseller could be so dangerous?"

Link:

Rabbit

Rabbit Legacy

Loose Rabbits of the Rabbit Trilogy

I also read a vampire book recently that was YA and awesome and not sexually embarrassing like a lot of YA books are these days. One thing I love about TWILIGHT is that I can read it without blushing. This one, by Catherine Olson, is Book #1, and a fun & exciting ride. The protag is a 15 (almost 16) yr-old girl; while on vacation with her dad, discovers a vampire on the beach. She also discovers that she has a special attraction to him, as well as a repellent shock whenever they touch. It is a great story that really pulled me in. Here's a link (I don't think it is on Nook yet, and toward the end it has the "F" word a couple of times--I don't know why, it's not necessary, but what can ya do?):

After Eventide

Let's see...my daughter enjoyed this one a lot (werewolves) and it was clean and different. It's on Nook:

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1)

Okay, I'll leave it at that!

If you like my book, contact me anytime at ellencmaze.com. I LOVE meeting readers and fun folks.

Have a great day reading,

Ellen