Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself!

[ Edited ]
Hello, Paulette Jiles Fans!

To help us all get to know each other as we discuss Stormy Weather, feel free to post an introductory message in this area to tell us a bit about yourself.

Are you a reader of Jiles's novels, or is this your first? What drew you to our discussion? Who are some of your other favorite writers in this genre?

Do tell...

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 10:36 AM

New User
DavidEdgewood
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

HI!
I finished Stormy Weather a few days ago while I was on vacation. It was really tough as it was a really busy vacation: I was responsible for watching the tide go in and out, ensuring dolphins swam by while, at the same time, I was lying on the beach of Anna Maria Island, FL, AND reading a great book, Stormy Weather. Talk about multi-tasking!

I've never read a book by Paulette Jiles. I've never read a book like Stormy Weather...at least not one I remember. I usually read thrillers, sometimes a biography or Bill Bryson's travel books. Now that I think about it, I'm also reminded of Adrianna Trigiana's books which I've enjoyed.

Stormy Weather was, at the risk of being cliche, a great read! Thank you Paulette Jiles!
Contributor
Willson
0 Kudos

Hello!
This will be my first novel by Jiles. I am looking forward to it and i'm glad B&N decided to add a discussion group for this book, as I wasn't really interested in the other June readings. I will be picking it up today after work at B&N!
New User
Sooz_W
0 Kudos

Hi, there. I read Jiles' first book, Enemy Women. It was so compelling! I relished it. I felt transported to the time period and to the desperate drama of the characters. I passed it on to a close friend.
jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

Good morning, I am really looking forward to the discussion. I ordered the book yesterday, sorry I am late but I promise to make up for it. I love Texas!!! the most kindess and interesting people are in Texas. I lived there for almost 10 years and cannot wait to read and discuss your book. Thanx - jd
New User
Irishlassie
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Claudia from Idaho. I just finished reading Stormy Weather and hate when it ended! That always means "a good story" to me, and it certainly was. Took me a bit to get used to Ms. Jiles style of writing, but after that I was hooked. I'm looking forward to this book discussion!
Contributor
bookluver196
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Greetings from Laurie from Ontario, Canada!

I chose to join this discussion as I read "Stormy Weather" about 1 month ago, and quite enjoyed it. I received it as an advanced reader's copy from Harper Collins. I really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did as it is quite different from the type of books I normally am drawn to. I'm glad I did, however, and look forward to reading other books by the same author!

Cheers,
Laurie

Message Edited by bookluver196 on 06-01-200712:22 PM

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Hi! I am Laura from the south coast of Maine. Historical fiction is my favorite genre, so I couldn't pass up Stormy Weather. I own Enemy Women, but have not read it yet (I own about 200 books that I have not read yet, so please don't be offended, Paulette). My book won't arrive until Monday, so I'll talk to you all next week.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome, everyone!

It's great to see so many early participants in what I'm sure will be a fascinating discussion of Stormy Weather. I actually read the novel on the plane ride out to interview Paulette Jiles -- my first-ever trip to Texas. What an experience to be able to spend time with her in her element -- it certainly made the many vivid scenes of life out west in the novel come to life for me.

If you haven't had a chance to see the video interview with Paulette, have a look, and let me know what you think!

Looking forward to a fantastic June with you all --

Best,

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-03-2007 11:44 AM

sis
New User
sis
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:

To help us all get to know each other as we discuss Stormy Weather, feel free to post an introductory message in this area to tell us a bit about yourself.

Are you a reader of Jiles's novels, or is this your first? What drew you to our discussion? Who are some of your other favorite writers in this genre?

Do tell...

Amanda

Hi. I am captivated by Stormy Weather. I love the way she writes. I haven't finished it yetbut I'm well on my way. It's vivid and has completely drawn me in. Sis. In Texas.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:

Do tell...

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 10:36 AM

Hello,

This is my first Paulette Jiles book and this book was recommended by another reader in this forum. Purchased it tonight with the book Middlesex. Look forward to the discussion.

Regards,

Bentley
Author
pkjiles
0 Kudos

Hello everyone, glad to see so many people from such diverse areas of the United States. I wonder how someone in Maine or Utah can relate to the intense heat of central Texas? And I know Jeanine's delight in the rare snowfall must sound strange.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

pkjiles wrote:
I wonder how someone in Maine or Utah can relate to the intense heat of central Texas? And I know Jeanine's delight in the rare snowfall must sound strange.

The person in the group who lives in Maine (me) has also lived in Louisiana, St. Louis, and Nashville. That's how I can relate to the heat of Texas! And I do remember the rare thrill of snow flakes in Louisiana too.

Now, what I have no experience with is horses!
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Contributor
bookluver196
0 Kudos

I am from Ontario, Canada. When I was about 12, my family and I took a road trip from Toronto to California (over 4,000 km). We went through Texas and I still remember the constant heat that felt like being in a furnace. We also drove through Death Valley (no air conditioning in our car) and I passed out from the heat! We get hot summers where I live but nothing like the southwestern states! Summers here are terribly humid though, and I prefer the dry heat of the southwest.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

pkjiles wrote:
Hello everyone, glad to see so many people from such diverse areas of the United States. I wonder how someone in Maine or Utah can relate to the intense heat of central Texas? And I know Jeanine's delight in the rare snowfall must sound strange.

Having been born in Maine and having spent many great times in Maine with family, etc. which I still do, the intense heat of Texas is not something that I would grow used to well. Have been to Houston when I thought my hair was going to curl up into tiny wringlets like Annie due to the humidity and having been in Dallas and decided that I would wander out to the pool without knowing any better, I decided very early on that I couldn't stay five minutes because I felt that the air was so heavy with heat that it lacked oxygen.

I can certainly relate to "how hot is hot" in Texas and it is mighty "steamin".

Austin with its hills seemed slightly better, but I attribute it to the time of year that I was traveling through. I was always amazed at the big sky that seemed to span forever and the Texas spirit which is proud and deep in the people who live in that state.

But I guess I do not have to live in the state to imagine intense heat like a desert or the smell in the air after a rain storm or mist in the air while walking the streets in a novel set in Paris, but it is better if you have visited these areas or lived there because you do have more of your own personal history to reflect upon when reading the novel. But I don't think that this any more necessary for the reader than being familiar with a movie location before you watch a movie.

I guess historical fiction for me is powerful because you get a sense of what a period and a place looked like, sounded like, and felt like through the author's words and images. And I am enjoying the start of this journey through Texas sitting in my air conditioned house. (smile)
New User
prima
0 Kudos

Hi! I am so excited that I found this discussion group. I just finished Stormy Weather today and I can't wait to discuss the novel with others,especially with the author! THis was my first Paulette Jiles novel...and definitely not my last.. I am normally a fbi thrillers kind of gal, but I think Paulette has transformed me.

Moni*
New User
prima
0 Kudos

I am from Florida and the heat can get pretty intense, especially with the humidity. These past few days have been pretty steamy, which made the novel seem to come alive as I read it on my patio. Although, unlike Jeanine, Bea and family, I have a nice air conditioned home to escape the heat!
Author
pkjiles
0 Kudos

The heat is truly upon here now in south-west Texas.

I went over the manuscript several times so that amenities would gradually be added as the Stoddard women's lives became easier in the course of the story, that they would be paced out, one at a time.

An electric fan was one of the most important ones. That and a bathtub where Jeanine can take a cool bath.
New User
Froggy56
0 Kudos

Hello! I'm Barbara from Nebraska. My book arrived in the mail last week while I was on business in Dallas. Ha ha. It would have been fun to read it while I was in Texas. I haven't read anything by Paulette yet. I am captivated by her writing style and amazed at how many details she fits into each paragraph. I am a Nebraska native but lived in Nashville, TN for the past 10 years. I was especially drawn to this book because I just moved to a farmstead in Nebraska and, while I love it, I nevertheless am having a bit of a time adjusting. I hope to get encouragement from the women in this book.

Barbara
Author
pkjiles
0 Kudos

I hope you have running water and electricity there on your farm in Nebraska.

Hauling water in the cold is no fun.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 224 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: