BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Marriage

[ Edited ]

For most of the story, Jeanine is hesitant to agree to marry Ross, though in the end she does accept his proposal. Why do you think she is so reluctant initially, and why, in the end, does she agree?

Is it character growth on her part, or is there another element to it? Do you think she loves him?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 10:43 AM

jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Marriage

Jeanine 'found herself' at the farm and it would be difficult to give that up and become a part of another person. Her parents marriage was not a good role model. I think she loved Everett but did not want to marry him because of the above. The practical side of this was that mayme was getting married and she would have to find another source of money - so that she could take care of the farm. Hmm, why not get married and keep the farm and still have money. I do not feel she was scheming but this probably crossed her mind. what do you think?
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Marriage

I completely understand Jeanine's hesitancy with Ross.

He was about eight years older than her, had been married before, and had a son who was opposed to any and all women in Ross' life. That would be off putting enough.

Then, throw on top of all that, Jeanine's obligation to her family. All the women had important duties and roles to fulfill if the farm was to be made successful again.

"You don't trust men Jeanine. C-c-common psychological problem. Your father b-betrayed you, all men are suspect." (pg.242) That was Milton's assessment, which I think held some truth.

Remember, too, that Ross had not packed up Miriam's room. Jeanine thought, "he didn't want anybody here" (pg. 179). On page 250, we see Ross packing up Miriam's things and making way for Jeanine.

I thought Mrs. Joplin was very clever on pages 336-337, giving Jeanine that final push toward Ross with he comments about Martha Jane dropping by Ross' house to visit her woolsacks. Hee hee.

I also want to note Paulette's use of a metaphor to represent the changes in Jeanine's life. "Jeanine felt in the distance, far beyond the visible horizon, a bass sound of gathering wind and the knotted heart of a storm that could have been weather or maybe it was the life she saw opening in front of her." (pg. 303).
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online:50 members 426 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: