Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Community Room

Here is a place to discuss off topic ideas or have conversations with your fellow readers regarding "talk" not book related. This can also be an area to post reviews or other author related information that may be of interest to others.

Be careful to put the word SPOILER in the Message Subject area of your posting(s) and maybe a followup warning as a header in the body of your text; just in case your post reveals aspects of the plot that have not been figured out as yet by the reader.

Regards,

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am really loving this book. Brooks is a stupendous writer.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

bentley wrote:
I am really loving this book. Brooks is a stupendous writer.



I agree! Now I can't believe I haven't read any of her other books! That will soon change...

I hope others are busy reading too. I have been patient this week, waiting for you all. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Fozzie on 02-09-2008 09:53 PM
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room



Fozzie wrote:

bentley wrote:
I am really loving this book. Brooks is a stupendous writer.



I agree! Now I can't believe I haven't read any of her other books! That will soon change...

I hope others are busy reading too. I have been patient this week, waiting for you all. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Fozzie on 02-09-2008 09:53 PM




Her writing is phenomenal; I cannot believe that I have never read anything by her either. By chance, I purchased this book before I even knew that this was going to be a selection. What luck for me. I love historical fiction and this is a gem.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
Posts: 529
Registered: ‎11-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I find it so interesting that there are people who actually examine the minute contents found in a book.  I have to laugh at the things people would find in my books in years to come.  I normally take good care of my books but I tend to use ticket stubs from the theatre or ballpark as book marks.  Then there's the errant cookie crumbs and tea stains not to mention the notes in the margins.:smileysurprised:
 
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader


"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Correspondent
HannibalCat
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Where are all you people. This is a great book. Let's talk about it. Did any of you change your minds about Hannah. Do you like her better, do you find her human, can you understand her feelings about her mother? Did you enjoy the way she presented the stories of the book? Did you find yourself wanting to know more about the people of the book?
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room



HannibalCat wrote:
Where are all you people. This is a great book. Let's talk about it. Did any of you change your minds about Hannah. Do you like her better, do you find her human, can you understand her feelings about her mother? Did you enjoy the way she presented the stories of the book? Did you find yourself wanting to know more about the people of the book?

Waiting for you to start us rolling again!  LOL!  I will answer one of your questions in the end of the book section.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I have heard that the study of marginalia is becoming kind of a thing right now.
 
When I took my Victorian Poetry seminar, the professor loaned out copies of "Aurora Leigh" because the school bookstore was having trouble getting stock (working for BN is a definite plus in those situations).  Dr. Boos had old copies she'd picked up for a dollar and one had some really funny comments in the margins.  So we had a good chuckle every class.

Carmenere_lady wrote:
I find it so interesting that there are people who actually examine the minute contents found in a book.  I have to laugh at the things people would find in my books in years to come.  I normally take good care of my books but I tend to use ticket stubs from the theatre or ballpark as book marks.  Then there's the errant cookie crumbs and tea stains not to mention the notes in the margins.:smileysurprised:
 



Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room



Carmenere_lady wrote:
I find it so interesting that there are people who actually examine the minute contents found in a book.  I have to laugh at the things people would find in my books in years to come.  I normally take good care of my books but I tend to use ticket stubs from the theatre or ballpark as book marks.  Then there's the errant cookie crumbs and tea stains not to mention the notes in the margins.:smileysurprised:
 





I thought that was interesting too. I am always sticking something in one of my books...even receipts from Gramercy Tavern..how bad is that.
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 348 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: