Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Favorite passages

Please share your favorite passages!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite passages (P. 340, but not a spoiler by itself)

rkubie wrote:
Please share your favorite passages!

I enjoyed the sly humor, such as:

"Dusk was dinner bell for millions of mosquitoes...." (p. 340)
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite passages (pp. 134-5, 194)

Also:

"Sometimes, I think if you took all the universities and all the hospitals out of greater Boston, you'd be able to fit what's left into about six city blocks." p. 134

Or

"Like the universities, the big hospitals in Boston merge into one another -- Mass General, Brigham and Women's, Dana Faber -- it's like a giant industrial park devoted to illness." p. 135

(I am impressed by Brooks ability to give us visual vignettes of city after city. That probably goes with having been an international journalist.)

"I don't have any trouble with the Sydney Harbour Tunnel, for instance It's bright down there, clean and shiny, confidence inspiring. But when you go into Boston tunnels, they're ... dim, and the tiles are leak stained, as if Boston Harbor is oozing its way through flaws in substandard concrete...."
p. 134

"Harvard Square could feel like a party on a warm night, full of energy and privilege and promise. Or it could seem like one of the bleakest places on earth -- an icy, windswept rat maze where kids wasted their youth clawing over one another in a fatuous contest for credentials."
p. 194
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite passages (pp. 134-5, 194)

Peppermill wrote:
Also:

"Sometimes, I think if you took all the universities and all the hospitals out of greater Boston, you'd be able to fit what's left into about six city blocks." p. 134

Or

"Like the universities, the big hospitals in Boston merge into one another -- Mass General, Brigham and Women's, Dana Faber -- it's like a giant industrial park devoted to illness." p. 135

(I am impressed by Brooks ability to give us visual vignettes of city after city. That probably goes with having been an international journalist.)

"I don't have any trouble with the Sydney Harbour Tunnel, for instance It's bright down there, clean and shiny, confidence inspiring. But when you go into Boston tunnels, they're ... dim, and the tiles are leak stained, as if Boston Harbor is oozing its way through flaws in substandard concrete...."
p. 134

"Harvard Square could feel like a party on a warm night, full of energy and privilege and promise. Or it could seem like one of the bleakest places on earth -- an icy, windswept rat maze where kids wasted their youth clawing over one another in a fatuous contest for credentials."
p. 194

I liked these Boston descriptions too.  I read a couple of them to my husband and we chuckled.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 407 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: