Rachel-K
0 Kudos

First Impressions

Please use this thread to share your first impressions, comments, and questions as you begin reading!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

I think I've finally figured out the cover! At first I thought it was an ancient cave drawing, but now I think it is an insects wing. What to you all think?
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

It's a stunning cover, isn't it?
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Carmenere_lady wrote:
I think I've finally figured out the cover! At first I thought it was an ancient cave drawing, but now I think it is an insects wing. What to you all think?

Ok, I don't buy books based on covers, and I just finished the book, but had not really looked at the cover until I read this post. I agree. It is an insect wing! I had thought it was something abstract, based on the quick glances at it.

Message Edited by Fozzie on 02-05-2008 02:57 PM
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

The names of the characters in the book are unusual and complex!

I always look for the meaning of the title, or the mentioned of the title, in a book. I quickly found mention of it on page 11:

By linking research and imagination, sometimes I can think muself into the heads of the people who made the book. I can figure out who they were, or how they worked.

There's one possible meaning of the title --- the people who made the book.
Laura

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Yes, do you know what insect now? smile
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

I do indeed. I believe a butterfly's wing makes for a much nicer cover than say a gray hair or a wine stain :smileywink:
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions - Possible spoiler if you have not concluded Hanna

Carmenere_lady wrote:

bentley wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

I do indeed. I believe a butterfly's wing makes for a much nicer cover than say a gray hair or a wine stain :smileywink:

True..how interesting a butterfly indigenous to the alps...hmmm???
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fozzie wrote:
The names of the characters in the book are unusual and complex!

I always look for the meaning of the title, or the mentioned of the title, in a book. I quickly found mention of it on page 11:

By linking research and imagination, sometimes I can think muself into the heads of the people who made the book. I can figure out who they were, or how they worked.

Another layer of meaning is the multiple Abrahamic faiths (Jewish, Christian, Muslim/Islamic) represented in the story, all known as "People of the Book", whether the Tanakh, the Bible, or the Koran. All are obviously involved in the story of this Haggadah.

Currently am reading The Faith Club with a book group, so I was drawn to PotB by the title and description. I do recommend TFC if you are interested in interfaith dialogue -- very personal and up-close.

Message Edited by Peppermill on 02-28-2008 10:30 PM
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:
Currently am reading The Faith Club with a book group, so I was drawn to PotB by the title and description. I do recommend TFC if you are interested in interfaith dialogue -- very personal and up-close.

Yes, I really enjoyed TFC too.  I enjoyed watching the evolution of thought as one person in particular realized we are more alike than different.
Laura

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions (References pp. 264-5, but not really a spoiler)

Fozzie wrote:

By linking research and imagination, sometimes I can think myself into the heads of the people who made the book. I can figure out who they were, or how they worked.

Laura -- you may have noted that the same idea gets pretty much repeated on pp. 264-265, with perhaps a slightly broader scope or vision:

"I wanted to give a sense of the people of the book, the different hands that made it, used it, protected it." -- Hanna
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 275 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: