Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hanna

What do you make of our heroine? What has drawn her into this work? She is a tremendously strong-headed character--do you find her difficult to like, or sympathetic?

Does she remind you at all of the traditional "hard boiled" detective that is expected in many mystery novels?
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Hanna

rkubie wrote:
What do you make of our heroine? What has drawn her into this work? She is a tremendously strong-headed character--do you find her difficult to like, or sympathetic?

Does she remind you at all of the traditional "hard boiled" detective that is expected in many mystery novels?

So far, and I'm only on Chapter 3 mind you, I like her. She's a tough cookie who seems to want to be as professionally far away from her mother as possible. Hanna is a bit rebelious, wouldn't you say and may have some chip on her shoulder that we'll eventually discover.
Brooks, in my opinion does a great job in characterizing Hannah in a brief period of time. I liked the white gloves she wore for dinner w/her mother and their symbolism seemed to go right over her moms head.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Contributor
Clare
0 Kudos

You realize right away that Hannah because of her upbringing has some trust problems that would interfere with developing any close relationship. But enough good qualities are shown that you are interested in how her character develops.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

I like Hanna. She wants to do a good job. I sympathize with her regarding her experience with her mother; but believe at this point that it is as much her fault as her mother's.
It seems to me that she reacts to her mother and seeks to do whatever the opposite would be of what her mother would want her to do; even if it is self destructive.

She appears to be a little promiscuous but I will reserve judgement (maybe we could call her a free thinker).

I think she misses having a father figure.

Bentley
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

rkubie wrote:

I like Hanna. She wants to do a good job. I sympathize with her regarding her experience with her mother; but believe at this point that it is as much her fault as her mother's.
It seems to me that she reacts to her mother and seeks to do whatever the opposite would be of what her mother would want her to do; even if it is self destructive.

She appears to be a little promiscuous but I will reserve judgement (maybe we could call her a free thinker).

Bentley

Good point Bentley. In fact, I think she misses not having a family of any kind.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

bentley wrote:

rkubie wrote:

Bentley

Good point Bentley. In fact, I think she misses not having a family of any kind.

Yes, it is so odd; how she has walled herself in emotionally or maybe I should say that she has set barriers up so that she does not get emotionally committed or vulnerable. Maybe she doesn't know what a normal male/female relationship looks like or a father/mother relationship since she never saw that either. It is almost like she has become her mother in terms of the ice maiden classification; but has become blinded by her contempt for her mother and I think borderline hatred.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

I really like hearing the comments about Hannah. Something that strikes me as interesting is that Brooks sets Hannah's story--her fury at her mother--against these stories of outrageous suffering and hardship. I'm not saying that Hannah's personal trials come across as lightweight--they really don't--but how is that so?

Doesn't it seem that we would reevaluate her story as we come upon these other stories and take hers less seriously in light of all that suffering? But somehow, I grow more moved by her, more engaged by her life.

Does anyone agree or totally disagree?
Rachel
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Hanna - SPOILER

bentley wrote:

Maybe she doesn't know what a normal male/female relationship looks like or a father/mother relationship since she never saw that either. It is almost like she has become her mother in terms of the ice maiden classification; but has become blinded by her contempt for her mother and I think borderline hatred.

SPOILER

Regarding the mother daughter relationship, I would say that the more I learned about Hanna's mother, the more sympathetic I became toward her.  I think she made some wrong decisions in raising Hanna, like spending very little time with her, belittling her career choice, and not telling her who her father is.  However, I think Hanna's mother (I can't remember her name) was trying to atone for killing her husband, an act which I think she regretted, by burying herself in her work, work that required her to distance herself emotionally from her patients.  This emotional distance then spilled over into the mother's life (or lack thereof) and affected Hanna.

Of course I picked it up.  I monitored him all that night.  I knew he was hemorrhaging.  I let it happen.  I knew he wouldn't want to wake up blind.  (pg. 345)
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
Doesn't it seem that we would reevaluate her story as we come upon these other stories and take hers less seriously in light of all that suffering? But somehow, I grow more moved by her, more engaged by her life.

You know, I don't remember my thoughts of Hanna's relationship with her mother being directly
related to the stories from history.  I was sure to link the present day Hanna stories with what was learned about the book historically.  Hmmm...now I have to think about you question, Rachel.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
I really like hearing the comments about Hannah. Something that strikes me as interesting is that Brooks sets Hannah's story--her fury at her mother--against these stories of outrageous suffering and hardship. I'm not saying that Hannah's personal trials come across as lightweight--they really don't--but how is that so?

Rachel

Rachel -- much appreciated this comment, especially when I think about how much "little things" impacted each of those stories of suffering, from a mis-buttoned dress, to laundry, to gambling, to reading Winnie the Pooh in the hospital, to an unexpected accident, to mis-placed trust, to rescuing a drunken colleague....

An appropriate story to read during Lent?
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

How interesting, Peppermill. To think whether to dismiss the little things as worldly, passing, and insignificant or instead to hold them up to the light to cherish them?

I think you're right that the book does this for us--even though it is a catalog of catastrophes--it is also a catalog of small significant moments. Very nice thought--thanks.
Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
How interesting, Peppermill. To think whether to dismiss the little things as worldly, passing, and insignificant or instead to hold them up to the light to cherish them?

I think you're right that the book does this for us--even though it is a catalog of catastrophes--it is also a catalog of small significant moments. Very nice thought--thanks.

As you put it, "a catalog of small significant moments"   What a perfect thing to say.  you are absolutely right in this regard.  To me these significant moments are a peek into the weaknesses of souls.  Everyone has weakness in their own life.  Is it meant to relate to ourselves in this way?  I think so.  I feel that everyone knows someone with one of these afflictions.  In this way it is human nature, it goes back through generations and hundreds of years.  Does that have a tendency to make me feel small, absolutely.  Does it make me feel less unique, yes.  However I am still unique and so are you, because we each capture our afflictions in different ways and different combinations.
The Butterfly Girl 8i8

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Crystal8i8 wrote:

rkubie wrote:
How interesting, Peppermill. To think whether to dismiss the little things as worldly, passing, and insignificant or instead to hold them up to the light to cherish them?

As you put it, "a catalog of small significant moments" What a perfect thing to say. you are absolutely right in this regard. To me these significant moments are a peek into the weaknesses of souls. Everyone has weakness in their own life. Is it meant to relate to ourselves in this way? I think so. I feel that everyone knows someone with one of these afflictions. In this way it is human nature, it goes back through generations and hundreds of years. Does that have a tendency to make me feel small, absolutely. Does it make me feel less unique, yes. However I am still unique and so are you, because we each capture our afflictions in different ways and different combinations.

May you also let them be a peak into the beauty and sacredness of souls -- at least I think the small moments can serve both ways. And we have free will to make the choice. (I have just been attending a series of lectures on suffering -- the pain is real, the accompanying angst may sometimes be a choice has been part of the message. I think Brooks gives us several examples, including especially her relationship with her mother. There is a view our parents have given us one gift which is ours to cherish -- life; all else is bonus. As I used to point out to my son, some of the disciplines surrounding karate say to honor a "good" mother and father is relatively easy; the honor to self may come from honoring "difficult" parents.)
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hi Peppermill,

I'd be curious to hear what those lectures are, if you'd PM me. I've read a bit about pain in a larger cultural context, but that sounds interesting.

Suffering in this novel is very closely observed, and I found, painful to read. But I also think it creates a very dramatic context for those other moments, that ordinary life feels very rich and precious in contrast.

Did anyone else have to put the book down for a bit during some of those Inquisition chapters?
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 835 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: