Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Hopkins poem cited (page 356) SPOILER

[ Edited ]
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89). Poems. 1918.

34. ‘As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies dráw fláme’

AS kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies dráw fláme;
As tumbled over rim in roundy wells
Stones ring; like each tucked string tells, each hung bell’s
Bow swung finds tongue to fling out broad its name;
Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: 5
Deals out that being indoors each one dwells;
Selves—goes itself; myself it speaks and spells,
Crying Whát I do is me: for that I came.

Í say móre: the just man justices;
Kéeps gráce: thát keeps all his goings graces; 10
Acts in God’s eye what in God’s eye he is—
Chríst—for Christ plays in ten thousand places,
Lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his
To the Father through the features of men’s faces.

A truly lovely poem and the point where Hanna realized who she was and her purpose in life. She really was the combination of her mother and father; a mother (a brain surgeon) who saved lives in the most delicate part of the human body and a father (a wonderful artist). And now she found herself as one who saved art and was able to take risks for what she loved.

Message Edited by bentley on 02-11-2008 05:44 PM
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Hopkins poem cited (page 356) SPOILER

Thanks so much for posting this poem. I had no idea what poem was being referenced in the text, but reading it here adds so much to the understanding of what Hanna was thinking.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 263 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: