Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 10

allenctynimrod wrote:

JaYzRICH wrote:

Psychee wrote:
Yes, I think it had to have been a self-filling potion container. Kreacher might have also been able to re-fill it, though... I have a feeling that that is part of house elf magic, but I have no canon to support this...

If so, why would LV bother to fill it with potion if it re-filled by itself? hmm very interesting chapter.

But if it doesn't refill itself why wouldn't he just have put the locket in before the cauldron was filled with potion? He wouldn't have even needed Kreacher then. I like Psychee's idea since we already know he didn't take House Elf magic into account since Kreacher was able to dissparate out of the cave.

He needed Kreacher to test the potion.

I am also taking this book slow. I want it to last and I am being very careful about avoiding spoilers.

I can't believe I actually feel a soft spot for Kreacher, never thought that would happen. I think there is a lot more we are going to learn about Petunia, and her brief mention in the letter assured me that there is certainly more to come where she is concerned.
New User
Rocketgrl97
0 Kudos

i loved this chapter i loved krechers story and im glad to know that there is another black relitive thats good at heart. and if the locket was already going in the basin. why didnt LV didnt just drop it into the liquid.
New User
nessa
0 Kudos

Voldemort didn't just drop the locket in the potion because he wanted to test it to make sure it had the desired effect, of torturing the person who drank it. He saw house elves as less than human so he used Kreacher as his subject (like Slughorn did in HBP to test his remaining wine after Ron was poisoned).
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

JaYzRICH wrote:

Psychee wrote:
Yes, I think it had to have been a self-filling potion container. Kreacher might have also been able to re-fill it, though... I have a feeling that that is part of house elf magic, but I have no canon to support this...

If so, why would LV bother to fill it with potion if it re-filled by itself? hmm very interesting chapter.

I've given this a bit more thought. The first time he filled it for Kreacher, he was testing the effect of the potion. Then he re-filled it, put a re-filling charm on the basin in case someone came in to drink it, and he also put the charm on it to prevent anyone from doing anything to the potion EXCEPT drink it.

Then RAB drank the potion, Kreacher exchanged the lockets, and once RAB was in the water with the inferi, the basin refilled itself.

The alternative would be no re-filling charm and Kreacher refilling it just by increasing the volume of whatever was left in the basin when he exchanged the lockets.
New User
Phoenix_Tears
0 Kudos

br>

BillP wrote:
This thread is for discussion of Chapter 10 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 10, this thread may contain plot spoilers.

I realize the book's been out a while and I'm hoping someone can speak to this. I've even read the book 3 times, hoping that I would pick up on it, but I haven't. After Kreacher brings Mundungus back to Grimmauld Place and he spills the beans about the locket being taken by Umbridge, WHAT HAPPENS TO MUNDUNGUS?
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
If you've read the book 3 times and still are looking for this detail about him, maybe it's not there? (I can't recall, but surely one of our other diligent club members may remember if there is anything mentioned in the book). Could this be one of those many unanswered questions? It may be that I may not remember because I didn't/don't focus on him that much as a character...can anyone help out Phoenix_Tears?

~ConnieK

Phoenix_Tears wrote:
br>

BillP wrote:
This thread is for discussion of Chapter 10 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 10, this thread may contain plot spoilers.

I realize the book's been out a while and I'm hoping someone can speak to this. I've even read the book 3 times, hoping that I would pick up on it, but I haven't. After Kreacher brings Mundungus back to Grimmauld Place and he spills the beans about the locket being taken by Umbridge, WHAT HAPPENS TO MUNDUNGUS?

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-25-2007 04:08 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I just presumed they let him go after they got the information they wanted. Why keep him around?

ConnieK wrote:
If you've read the book 3 times and still are looking for this detail about him, maybe it's not there? (I can't recall, but surely one of our other diligent club members may remember if there is anything mentioned in the book). Could this be one of those many unanswered questions? It may be that I may not remember because I didn't/don't focus on him that much as a character...can anyone help out Phoenix_Tears?

~ConnieK

Phoenix_Tears wrote:
br>

BillP wrote:

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-25-2007 04:08 PM

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 697 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: