Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 10

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 10 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 10, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 10

Kreacherz stole the PRECIOUS he has the locket(horcrux)! Since Mundungus stolez it Kreacherz must gets it back...in three days...wow slow service.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

And here I had predicted that RAB forced Kreacher to drink the poison, but no, he took it himself. I'm starting to have lots of respect for Regulus. I love the little attempt at a salute that he gives Hermione at the end of the chapter too. That's awesome.
New User
deluminator
0 Kudos

OK, I have a question here. When V took Kreacher to the cave, he made Kreacher drink the potion and then "[Voldemort] dropped a locket into the empty basin...He filled it with more potion." (pg 194 US Version). Then when Regulus takes Kreacher to the cave, Regulus drinks all the potion, Kreacher switches the lockets and then Kreacher "watched...as Master Regulus...was dragged beneath the water...." (Pg 196)

Who refilled the basin with potion?
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Great redemtpion for Regulus here. So very happy that this generation of Blacks is such an improvement outside of Bella.

I always thought that maybe LV used some kind of charm to set up the pit to refill with potion on it's own. I more wonder how it got filled in the first place before LV got there. I mean if it was of his doing would it make sense just to put the locket inside before he filled it up in the first place instead of using Kreacher.

Plus it's awesome to see the immediate change in Kreacher. Another DD point proven your decisions dictate your results. The simple gesture of giving the false locket to Kreacher seems to have made a huge difference. Man I feel sorry for Dung :smileyhappy:.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, I think it had to have been a self-filling potion container. Kreacher might have also been able to re-fill it, though... I have a feeling that that is part of house elf magic, but I have no canon to support this...
Frequent Contributor
joce14
0 Kudos

i knew it sirius's brother is r.a.b.krechers tale was very intersting n know he actually gets along wit harry ron n hermione
Jocelyn
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Kreacher's tale was certainly heartrending and I ,too, am pleasantly surprised that it was Regulus who took the potion. It's certainly easier for us to have sympathy for Kreacher now.
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

I wanted to know what the thing was that dragged R.A.B. into the water. I never really understood that part.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

It was one of the inferi, reanimated dead people, who infested the lake that dragged Romulus (and tried to drag Harry in book six) into the water to drown.

LiveUrLife wrote:
I wanted to know what the thing was that dragged R.A.B. into the water. I never really understood that part.

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Contributor
JaYzRICH
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
Yes, I think it had to have been a self-filling potion container. Kreacher might have also been able to re-fill it, though... I have a feeling that that is part of house elf magic, but I have no canon to support this...

If so, why would LV bother to fill it with potion if it re-filled by itself? hmm very interesting chapter.
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

I thought it was Regulis that got the locket. The letter that Harry found from his mom had Petunia in it. Hmm still more to come with her?? My heart went out to Kreacher here. Yes I was not to fond of him in the Order of the Pheonix. I agree with you on the question of LV putting more potion in RAB didn't have to cause when Dumbledore and Harry went there HBP; there was plenty left for him to drink.
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

JaYzRICH wrote:

Psychee wrote:

If so, why would LV bother to fill it with potion if it re-filled by itself? hmm very interesting chapter.

But if it doesn't refill itself why wouldn't he just have put the locket in before the cauldron was filled with potion? He wouldn't have even needed Kreacher then. I like Psychee's idea since we already know he didn't take House Elf magic into account since Kreacher was able to dissparate out of the cave.
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

stellaa37 wrote:
I thought it was Regulis that got the locket. The letter that Harry found from his mom had Petunia in it. Hmm still more to come with her?? My heart went out to Kreacher here. Yes I was not to fond of him in the Order of the Pheonix. I agree with you on the question of LV putting more potion in RAB didn't have to cause when Dumbledore and Harry went there HBP; there was plenty left for him to drink.

It was Regulus that got the locket he just gave it to Kreacher to protect after he put the fake in the basin before he was drug under by the Inferi. Someone would've had to have put more potion in though b/c if Regulus drank it all and it doesn't refill itself we know LV didn't do it b/c he would've realized the locket was a fake.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I've thought of a better idea... maybe Voldemort did not put the re-filling charm on the container until after he tested the potion on Dobby and saw that the potion was having the desired effect. He had to put the force-field charm on it at that point, too.
New User
tricia1116
0 Kudos

deluminator wrote:
OK, I have a question here. When V took Kreacher to the cave, he made Kreacher drink the potion and then "[Voldemort] dropped a locket into the empty basin...He filled it with more potion." (pg 194 US Version). Then when Regulus takes Kreacher to the cave, Regulus drinks all the potion, Kreacher switches the lockets and then Kreacher "watched...as Master Regulus...was dragged beneath the water...." (Pg 196)

It refills by itself cause in book 6 when dumbldore was done drinking harry didnt refill it im pretty sure it said it refilled on its own
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Okay, so the Hermione/Memory Charm thing must have been a mistake or else different kinds of charms. If that wasn't the real Hermione, she wouldn't have remembered the locket.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Kreacher's story is absolutely heartwrenching. I feel so bad for him...Makes me want to join SPEW.
I am convinced that there must be significance in the fact that Dumbledore left Harry a Snitch and that Regulus was a Seeker. Especially because no one was listening to Harry when he was saying that Regulus had been a Seeker. For JKR, that means it's probably important; she tends to downplay things early on that are going to be significant later on.
Is anyone out there still actually in the process of reading the book and doesn't know the ending yet? I hope so.
Anyway, this will probably be my last post tonight as far as DH is concerned, because I have to do more camp counseling tomorrow! It's a pity it's not a literary camp; I'd read them Deathly Hallows all day. But that's okay. It's still fun, and luckily I'm kept too busy to have any free time to want to crack open DH. So the torture isn't too bad. Plus, I'm still trying to extend the experience as long as I can. I don't know when I'll finish, but it probably won't be for another few days. I'll see you all tomorrow!!!
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

deluminator wrote:

I think it refills itself. Just makes sense to me.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

LiveUrLife wrote:

LiveUrLife wrote:

R.A.B. was dragged in by the inferi. They are in the water so after you frink the potion and get thirsty, when you get water from the lake that's when the inferi take you in.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 243 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: