Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 12

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 12 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 12, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 12

Amycus Carrow. Pretty sure that I've never heard that name before, which means in every book except six, we had never heard of the DADA teacher until that book. I'm sure if I missed the name previously someone will correct me, but I don't recall it being mentioned before.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:
Amycus Carrow. Pretty sure that I've never heard that name before, which means in every book except six, we had never heard of the DADA teacher until that book. I'm sure if I missed the name previously someone will correct me, but I don't recall it being mentioned before.

Amycus Carrow was one of the Death Eaters on the tower. His sister, Alecto, was also on the tower.
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

quidditchpro wrote:

Amycus Carrow was one of the Death Eaters on the tower. His sister, Alecto, was also on the tower.

Yep they're the twins that flee the scene with Snape. Weren't they also brought in with the Lestranges and Crouch Jr. to trial or am I imagining that?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

allenctynimrod wrote:

Psychee wrote:

quidditchpro wrote:

Yep they're the twins that flee the scene with Snape. Weren't they also brought in with the Lestranges and Crouch Jr. to trial or am I imagining that?

No, they weren't in that trial... The Carrows never went to Azkaban, according to Snape somewhere in the other books. I checked it out in the Lexicon...

Message Edited by Psychee on 07-21-2007 09:43 PM
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

I hope that everything goes well with Ron, Harry, and Hermione. When the book talked about the seats that the people sat on at the Ministry it kinda made me sick. I think they should be careful though because if one of them gets caught then the others will too. Their plan was pretty smart though.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:

I hadn't either but I'm glad someone remembered where they were named and showed up. Yaxley introduced in Chapter 1 is another one. I am amazed to find out that all her characters were introduced earlier in the series. I am also quit impressed about how much from the very first book is being brought in now.
Contributor
JaYzRICH
0 Kudos

LiveUrLife wrote:
I hope that everything goes well with Ron, Harry, and Hermione. When the book talked about the seats that the people sat on at the Ministry it kinda made me sick. I think they should be careful though because if one of them gets caught then the others will too. Their plan was pretty smart though.

I agree, that scene was pretty hard(statue seating), but I'm more worried about harry,hermione,and ron since the 3 of them are there disguised and the potion lasts an hour how would they do to escape without being seen since they have to apparate each one at a time.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I am stunned. Absolutely stunned. Although I don't really know why I would be. Severus Snape is the Headmaster???
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Oh, I know, k--that is quite a shocker, isn't it?

~ConnieK

kpeterson32 wrote:
I am stunned. Absolutely stunned. Although I don't really know why I would be. Severus Snape is the Headmaster???

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieK

I guess this means one of my predictions has been right so far...I said it wouldn't be McGonagall. Wonder how Patty's taking the news?
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Ha. You'll see soon enough when you're ready to 'cross over' to the Spoiler board, k! Take your time here and enjoy; the book is not over yet. The leisurely pace of this board is really very, very nice! I love coming back in here--I was just thinking that it has the kind of hush of a quiet reading room. So great. EnJOY!

~ConnieK

kpeterson32 wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieK

I guess this means one of my predictions has been right so far...I said it wouldn't be McGonagall. Wonder how Patty's taking the news?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
Ha. You'll see soon enough when you're ready to 'cross over' to the Spoiler board, k! Take your time here and enjoy; the book is not over yet. The leisurely pace of this board is really very, very nice! I love coming back in here--I was just thinking that it has the kind of hush of a quiet reading room. So great. EnJOY!

Yes, I definitely am enjoying it. And I really appreciate the lengths to which you and others have gone to ensure spoiler-free reading and posting. I would be DEVASTATED to find out the end before I get there.

Posting after every chapter has been fun. It's like once last chance to guess what's going to happen and record my guesses. That way, if I turn out to be right about things that will happen, I can go back and look at what I predicted or thought as I was reading.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

We are all trying very hard, k, but please do know that it can't be totally safe to be here. I would hate to see the experience ruined for you because some joker got here before we could protect you. There's also the very real chance of 'innocent' spoilers, too, even from regular members. So, please be very careful, but know that we're trying!

~ConnieK

kpeterson32 wrote:
I would be DEVASTATED to find out the end before I get there.

Posting after every chapter has been fun. It's like once last chance to guess what's going to happen and record my guesses. That way, if I turn out to be right about things that will happen, I can go back and look at what I predicted or thought as I was reading.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:

I felt the same way, Head Master? I thought McGonnagall was the new Head Mistress. Well with this whole Voldy in power I guess she got kicked out. Funny though how she hasn't been mentioned.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

dayrenm wrote:
I felt the same way, Head Master? I thought McGonnagall was the new Head Mistress. Well with this whole Voldy in power I guess she got kicked out. Funny though how she hasn't been mentioned.

McG was the Deputy Headmistress, which means that she had to take over for Dumbledore once he died. But she was never officially named the Headmistress. Well, who knows? She might have been made official by Scrimgeour, but once Voldemort's folks took over the Ministry, all bets were off.
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

Yes, I definitely am enjoying it. And I really appreciate the lengths to which you and others have gone to ensure spoiler-free reading and posting. I would be DEVASTATED to find out the end before I get there.

I also am really enjoying reading through the thread after I finish a chapter. I didn't come here until after I had already read through chapter 8, so I haven't posted much, but it is nice to reflect. I read through all of the other books so quickly, I never gave myself a chance to sit and reflect on what is going on. I am so afraid of having the book spoiled for me, that I am avoiding everyone I know who is as Harry crazed as I am, and I am staying away from all websites except this one.
Frequent Contributor
joce14
0 Kudos

i never thought that snape would become headmaster
Jocelyn
Contributor
WIJen
0 Kudos

I am shocked that Snape has been named the headmaster, but that was smart of Hermione to get that picture so he couldn't spy on them. I do still think Snape is good, but I'm waiting for definitive proof of it.

I'm curious how the rest of the plan goes now that it's been eluded to that Umbridge is waiting for the lift (they didn't say her name, but the description is unmistakable). Because, I seriously doubt she has the locket on her, so....

Okay, I'll stop wondering and read chapeter 13

Jen in WI
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

WIJen wrote:
I am shocked that Snape has been named the headmaster, but that was smart of Hermione to get that picture so he couldn't spy on them. I do still think Snape is good, but I'm waiting for definitive proof of it.

I'm curious how the rest of the plan goes now that it's been eluded to that Umbridge is waiting for the lift (they didn't say her name, but the description is unmistakable). Because, I seriously doubt she has the locket on her, so....

Okay, I'll stop wondering and read chapeter 13

Jen in WI

here's the thing. If Snape is good, I mean if he really is Dumbledore's man through and through than wouldn't Hogwarts still be just about the safest place you could be?
just a thought . . .
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 656 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: