Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 13

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 13 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 13, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 13

That chapter was awesome! Stupifying Umbridge, rescuing the muggle-borns, and a daring (almost?) escape!
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 5

I always knew that Moody would bite the dust sooner or later. What was really funny is that his eye was taken by Umbridge and put into her door. Apparently Moody would be of some use dead to the ministry after all. LOL
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Did anyone get the feeling we are now in "1984" with the Magic is Might" bit. Also Nazi Germany. Lessons from history that we sometimes need to be reminded can happen again.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:
That chapter was awesome! Stupifying Umbridge, rescuing the muggle-borns, and a daring (almost?) escape!

Yes, and this seems to be a developing pattern in this book with each chapter ending in a nailbiting, impossible situation that they seem to get through by some miracle of circumstances.

One of the most chilling things I found in this section of the book was the statuary in the main hall of the Ministry--two wizards on thrones on top a mound of muggle bodies.
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

I thought the same thing the ministery was turn Hitler.
I was so proud of Harry Getting back Moody's eye. He needed a proper burial.
This was a perfect job for umbridge in Order of the Pheonix she was against half breed. can anyone guess if Umbridge was cursed wearing the Locket(horcruxes). And happen to her?
And Poor Ron having to try and get rid of the rain in Yaxley's office.
And Yes them Saving all those people from the Ministery was Awesome. Can't wait to see the movie.
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I suspect that Umbridge, like Voldemort, is secretly a half-blood. Good thinking of Hermione to duplicate the locket so that the toad doesn't realize it's gone. Now they'll just think the whole thing was a daring rescue of muggleborns instead of what it really was.

And I hope that Arthur believed Harry-in-disguise. That was good of Harry to try to communicate the issue of the Weasleys being watched, without giving himself away.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

That chapter was pretty cool. It was funny how at one point Ron was in the elevator with his dad. He couldn't tell him who he was. Lol.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

LiveUrLife wrote:
That chapter was pretty cool. It was funny how at one point Ron was in the elevator with his dad. He couldn't tell him who he was. Lol.

That part broke my heart. A few things have so far, and that was one of them. Shows how evil Voldemort is that he is tearing apart families and keeping them away from each other.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
wee
New User
wee
0 Kudos

I agree that Voldemort is clearly supposed to represent a very Hitler-esque figure, while the Ministry employees are the Gestapo. Even the method of questioning witches and wizards that they suspect of 'mudblood' lineage screams Holocaust. To further top it off, the statutes of the wizard atop muggles screaming in pain completes the Hitler-reign trifecta. I think this is a poignant move on Rowling's part because there are few events in history that will turn stomachs and instill that feeling of horror, sadness, and disgust the way that the Holocaust will. This is something real that we muggles in the world are very familiar with...the portrayal of the wizard's war as shadowing the Holocaust so closely drives home how important Harry's mission really is...and of course, sends a message to a world that desperately needs remember that tolerance and diversity are the things that perish first under tyranny.
Frequent Contributor
joce14
0 Kudos

i think umbirge has no idea of wat she is doing.
Jocelyn
Contributor
WIJen
0 Kudos

I love it! Harry finally got to give it to Umbridge! I was surprised she was wearing the locket. But that worked out well for them.
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

Okay Harry got told off by the whole Order in chapter five for using his signature move "Expelliarmus" and then he thinks he's going to be able to get out of the Ministry leading a whole crowd of muggle-borns with a Stag Patronus, like no body in the Wizarding world is aware that Harry Potter's Patronus takes the form of a stag.

I love that they did everything they could to help the Catermoles and that Harry tried to let Arthur know about the Tracking.

I was also a little surprised that Harry put the Dumbledore book back on the shelf in Umbridge's office. I thought he should have taken it with him. I think he could probably learn a thing or two from it.

narnianmum
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Yes, it keeps reminding me more and more of the Holocaust as I read along. A bit frightening.
What about what happens at the end of the chapter? Did Yaxley hold onto Harry as he Disapparated? Or was it something else? I'll find out, I know.
At least they have the locket. Hopefully there aren't any more complications with it, but I'm sure there will be. As difficult as it has been for them to track this thing down and get it, I'm sure it couldn't be that easy.
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
New User
brains16
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:

LiveUrLife wrote:

That part broke my heart. A few things have so far, and that was one of them. Shows how evil Voldemort is that he is tearing apart families and keeping them away from each other.

you are right. that is what he wanted. does anyone remember in the 5th book luna and harry are talkinhg and luna tells harry that voldemort probably wants harry to feel alone and seperated.
New User
Williamreese
0 Kudos

If Lupin said that Harry's patronus is a stag to confirm who he was, then it can't be completely common knowledge. Who is even around Harry's patronus other than Lupin? The Dementor attacks have been by a lake in the middle of a forest and in some kind of alley or hallway in a relatively deserted building. Besides, dementors aren't likely to attack in the middle of the Ministry, so Runcorn's patronus probably isn't common knowledge and could be a stag as well.
Frequent Contributor
HarryIsMyHomeboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

joce14 wrote:
i think umbirge has no idea of wat she is doing.

Oh, quite the contrary, I think Umbridge knew exactly what she was doing. She may not be a fully-fledged Death Eater, but she was, I'm sure, more than willing to do their bidding! She was probably part of the group of people that were not ready to show full allegiance to Voldemort, but thought that he had the right ideas (another example would be Sirius' parents).

In Book 5, we already learn that Umbridge is fine with - and takes pleasure in - twisting the truth; causing pain; and taking the law into her own hands. I'm sure that she was more than glad to be able to do something about the "filthy half-breeds."

This chapter more than any brought real history to the forefront. Voldemort and his Ministry minions are strikingly similar to Hitler, the Nazis, and the Gestapo.

The legal, economic, and social rights of Muggleborns are restricted, just as those of the Jewish had been. Like the Nazis, Voldemort built his creed on the so-called "purity of blood." Muggleborns (like the Jews) were banned from schools; and they had to 'register' themselves so that the Death Eaters could 'keep them in check.'

Magic Is Might is also very similar to the Nazi expression Destruction Through Work.

The Throne of Muggles was also extremely disturbing, as was Moody's eye on Umbridge's door. It just went on to prove how destructive, uncaring, and sadistic the Volde-minions were...and how important Harry's mission to stop them is.

Message Edited by HarryIsMyHomeboy on 08-07-2007 10:55 PM
Currently online: 17 members 217 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: