Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 16

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 16 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 16, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 16

Well it is easy now to see why the Deathly Hallows symbol (triangle-circle symbol on Xenophilius) was made out to be some kind of dark magic symbol by students at durmstrang. The "Master of Death" does sound pretty evil.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

I wonder if it's possible for Dumbledore to have somehow changed what the headstones said, it seems as if they were specific messages for Harry, although he and Hermione didn't seem to think so.
Contributor
teriandcb
0 Kudos

Good thought about messages on the tombstones. Do you think the one about the last enemy to be destroyed is death means that Harry has to die?
Frequent Contributor
Svguy13
0 Kudos

i think doumbledoe did not tell harry that they lived in the same town cause he might think they were reallated or it mite form a connection that dd would break his briliant plan
Contributor
offthewall86
0 Kudos

Does it seem to anyone else that perhaps Harry won't destroy all the Horcruxes? We're very nearly halfway through the book, and as Ron pointed out, very little has come from a lot of effort. I also think it's interesting that the cover art suggests there is something bigger that both Harry and Voldemort are gazing at. Will the Horcruxes fall as a priority to something greater, or at least be taken care of within a different context?
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

offthewall86 wrote:
Does it seem to anyone else that perhaps Harry won't destroy all the Horcruxes? We're very nearly halfway through the book, and as Ron pointed out, very little has come from a lot of effort. I also think it's interesting that the cover art suggests there is something bigger that both Harry and Voldemort are gazing at. Will the Horcruxes fall as a priority to something greater, or at least be taken care of within a different context?

He's got to find the other horcruxes otherwise he can't kill Voldemort. I think once they are able to destroy one, then it will be easier for them to find/destroy the others. I think the clue to at least one of them is in Hermione's book, and I think Ron's Deluminator will help find the other...if Ron comes back to help them.

I was a little surprised to find out finally that James and Lily were only 21. I thought they were a little bit older than that.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

I think J.K. Stretch alot between chapters 14-16 there is some things that make us think.
But I do belive Harry finds all of the Horcruxes. just probably at last minute.
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

I liked this chapter. It was a little sad though. I think that the writing on Harry's parents' graves had a special meaning that would help him.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

stellaa37 wrote:
But I do belive Harry finds all of the Horcruxes. just probably at last minute.

It would be really nice if all the remaining Horcruxes are together in one place, wouldn't it? Too bad that's not exactly Voldemort's style.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

It was nice of Hermione to go with Harry to his parents grave. But I thought they were looking for information that might lead to another horcrux.... hmmm let me read the next chapter.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Svguy13 wrote:
i think doumbledoe did not tell harry that they lived in the same town cause he might think they were reallated or it mite form a connection that dd would break his briliant plan

I think DD didn't tell Harry because there is something there for Harry that he should find at a given time.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Contributor
Nelle07
0 Kudos

The only thing that messed me up in the chapter was that JK said they died in '81 which means Harry was born a year or so before that. This would make him 26 NOT 17. that just threw me off because I was born in 81, she should have checked her dates...unless the wizarding world is different in years?? I don't know.
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

Nelle07 wrote:
The only thing that messed me up in the chapter was that JK said they died in '81 which means Harry was born a year or so before that. This would make him 26 NOT 17. that just threw me off because I was born in 81, she should have checked her dates...unless the wizarding world is different in years?? I don't know.

According to canon book 7 takes place 1997/98. We were able to calculate this from the date of Nearly Headless Nick's deathday party in book 2.
You have to remember that the first book was published in 1997 and JKR had been working on it for years before that. She just had to pick a timeline and stick to it. I like it personally because that makes me about 4 months younger than Fred and George.

narnianmum
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I thought this was a beautiful chapter stylistically for Rowling, especially when Harry reaches his parents' graves. It was very beautifully described, and very sad at the same time.
I'm hoping they find all the Horcruxes, but it does seem like they're not going to at the moment.
I really liked the quote on James and Lily's grave. It could mean Harry will die, in response to someone's question. But maybe I'm being a bit too quick to say that because I've thought for quite a while that Harry will die in this book.
I hope Ron comes back. They have to join together again at some point, unless one of the trio dies, but I don't know how it will happen. But it's not the same without Ron. :smileysad:
Do you think there is any significance to the fact that the first Golden Snitch was cast at Godric's Hollow? And that Regulus was a Seeker? And that Harry is a Seeker? And that James was a Seeker? And that Harry has been given a Golden Snitch by Dumbledore? It could all mean nothing, or very little, but I've just been noticing these things as I'm reading.
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 694 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: